• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier Lists for Ike's Moveset (Ultimate Edition)

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Greetings, all.

Four years ago, I created a thread asking for other players' opinions of what they believe to be Ike's best and worst moves in SSB4 when used in a competitive environment. This time, the topic will be centered on Ike's iteration in Ultimate. I am curious to see other players' thoughts of how much his moves from the previous installment benefit from the mechanics changes, as well as from their altered properties, if any, during the transition. Like before, I intend to monitor the thread for any major version updates affecting Ike's moves and will revise accordingly.

Now that we have full access to SSBU, I was able to do some experimenting, which allowed me to form an opinion on the different moves in Ike's arsenal. This list is not final as it is subject to change. There may be some questionable placements.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone else ranks Ike's moves.

Top Tier:

N-air
U-air
B-air
D-tilt
F-air
D-throw

High Tier:

F-tilt
Pivot grab
U-tilt
U-throw
Quick Draw
Pummel

Mid Tier:

Jab
Eruption
Aether
U-smash
Dash attack
B-throw
F-throw
Dash grab
D-air
Counter

Low Tier:

D-smash
Standing grab
F-smash

Bottom Tier:

N/A

ANALYSIS (WIP)

Aerials:

Among the best options in Ike's kit. With the jump squat reduction down to 3 frames from SSB4's 7 frames along with decreased landing lag across the board, this allows Ike to be more oppressive with his aerial attacks while also improving their overall safety when properly spaced. All aerials are able to true combo from D-throw at low percent. N-air has been buffed significantly due to the combination of increased range and faster start-up. It has become his best aerial, in my opinion, and remains his best option for starting combos. For instance, it is possible for it to kill confirm into U-air as well as into B-air when near ledges, with the back hit allowing the combos to work at even higher percentages. Although D-air is the least valuable of Ike's aerial options, especially with footstool combos being less prevalent in SSBU, one can still find use for it in certain situations, such as attempting a meteor smash when foes grab ledges during the 2-frame tangibility window; additionally, its utility onstage should see an improvement for the fact that one can no longer tech grounded meteor smashes. I think D-air would go a long way had it retained its lingering hitbox from SSBB.

Tilts:

These are solid all-around options for Ike. Mechanics changes to dash enables him to tilt after inputting a dash. D-tilt still comes out decently fast at frame 7; furthermore, changes to the buffer system has made it considerably easier to true combo D-tilt into a turnaround B-air. The damage increase and slightly faster start-up on F-tilt has made it an even better tool in neutral; retreating with it is still possible as there is a bit of slide after using it this way during a dash. In exchange for U-tilt no longer having a hitbox behind Ike, the sweetspot is easier to land, and the reduced landing lag on N-air allows U-tilt to true combo from it at low percent. I find that U-tilt makes for a rather effective anti-air mix-up when reversing it as you are chasing after a foe falling from the air.

Jabs:

This has got to be the worst iteration of Ike's Jab. Compared to SSB4, which had already seen a Jab nerf from SSBB, it is far more difficult to string the first jab into other attacks, such as D-tilt. Once the first hit successfully connects it seems you are much better off inputting the commands for the remaining two jabs, instead of attempting to follow-up the first jab with something else. Compounding to this nerf is the range decrease; Ike now has to be extremely close to his opponents if he is going to land the first hit. That being said, the hitbox is first active at frame 4, which still makes this one of his fastest ground options. It is also at least reliable enough for allowing Ike to maintain space between opponents and himself, should the situation call for it.

Smashes:

It is a recurring theme across all of the Smash games Ike has appeared in that smash attacks are among the slowest moves in Ike's arsenal. While they are quite powerful, they are best used for hard punishes and for anticipating certain actions made by the opponent. For instance, one can charge an F-smash while facing the opposite direction from the ledge when predicting the opponent's roll from the ledge. U-smash is also solid for punishing certain ledge get-up options and offers decent anti-air utility as well. Meanwhile, D-smash is still Ike's fastest smash, which has also received a damage boost to both hits; this could be the strongest option for punishing attacks following a successful parry. Considering how sparingly these should be used, smash attacks might as well not even exist in Ike's moveset.

Grabs:

Throws:

Specials:

Eruption

Quick Draw

Aether

Counter

REVISION HISTORY

UPDATE 1 (Dec. 7, 2018): Personal list created mainly through first impressions from using Ike in SSBU for the first time. Analysis section added.

UPDATE 2 (Dec. 12, 2018): Upon further testing as well as input from other users, the following changes were made. Analysis updated.

+ D-air and Counter moved from top of Low Tier to bottom of Mid Tier.
- Jab moved from High Tier to Mid Tier.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I feel like in terms of changes from the Smash 4 version of this thread Up Air is most likely moving up a tier and possibly foward tilt and up tilt thanks to the new dash mechanics.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I feel like in terms of changes from the Smash 4 version of this thread Up Air is most likely moving up a tier and possibly foward tilt and up tilt thanks to the new dash mechanics.
I can definitely see U-air raising several spots up. Although we lose the lingering frames the hitbox was active for, this new animation and hitbox will allow Ike to connect the hit more reliably on the ground. Not to mention it is also quite powerful.

Ike should most certainly have a more imposing aerial presence this time around, thanks to the new 3-frame jump squat applied to the entire cast.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't see a universe where a forward smash is even remotely close to being useful.

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'll give it a shot. Please disregard the order these moves are put in within their respective tiers. Specials are not ranked here because they all have very particular uses, albeit some more frequently than others.

Top Tier:

N-air
U-air
F-fair (still top IMO despite losing autocancel)
B-air (thanks to Oddz for reminding me. I forgot to put this one in lol)
D-tilt

High Tier:

F-tilt (only high tier and not top tier b/c d-tilt will be the better out-of-dash option from early to mid-stock)
Jab
U-tilt

Mid Tier:

U-Smash

Low Tier:

F-Smash (not bottom tier b/c it's useful for hard punishes, at least)

D-air

Bottom Tier:

D-smash

Last edited:

Oddz

Smash Rookie
Alright, I'll give it a shot. Please disregard the order these moves are put in.

Top Tier:

N-air
U-air
F-fair (still top IMO despite losing autocancel)
D-tilt

High Tier:

F-tilt (only high tier and not top tier b/c d-tilt will be the better out-of-dash option from early to mid-stock)
Jab
U-tilt

Mid Tier:

U-Smash

Low Tier:

F-Smash (not bottom tier b/c it's useful for hard punishes, at least)

D-air (unless it combos from something consistenly, which I doubt)

Bottom Tier:

D-smash
bro u forgot back air the best aerial imo

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Stealth309 Stealth309

Thanks for your input.

While we have yet to do considerable testing of the viability of his moves across various match-ups, I do think it is at least safe to say his aerials remain potent and are among his best tools, for the most part. And apparently, it is now possible to use tilts out of a dash, which would certainly help his already amazing D-tilt.

I plan to wait until I have full access to the game before constructing my own list.

Last edited:

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
Stealth309 Stealth309

Thanks for your input.

While we have yet to do considerable testing of the viability of his moves across various match-ups, I do think it is at least safe to say his aerials remain potent and are among his best tools, for the most part. And apparently, it is now possible to use tilts out of a dash, which would certainly help his already amazing D-tilt.

I plan to wait until I have full access to the game before constructing my own list.
You guys have fun with the game. I won't have access to it or even a Switch quite yet.

Last edited:

Royta

Smash Journeyman
I don't see a universe where a forward smash is even remotely close to being useful.
It is a fantastic tool, just have to use it sparingly. Some things that make it good is its release-speed. If you charge it to bait something, people often underestimate just how fast the actual strike is, it is the build-up that is slow. It also hits above Ike, great for enemies above you at an angle. Of course it is great roll-punish, killing at very early percentages if your foe is rollhappy.

At very high levels of play it will see less use obviously, but it can still serve its purpose.

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
from my ~100ish online matches with ike in elite, i think his moveset is as follows (not tiered but more from a bread and butter vs utility

Amazing:

All of ikes aerials (minus dair)

solid:
D-tilt
F-tilt
Up-tilt
Counter
Quick draw
Eruption (edge guard)

Ehhh:
grabs (heavily DI defendant, unreliable 50/50s for okay damage)
Aether (easy to gimp atm)
jabs (low range low damage)

nigh unusable:
F-smash (OH GOD WHY DID I FSMASH THAT WAS A TILT I SWEAR)
D-smash (fast, good kill potential, but end lag is not worth)
Up-smash (same as d-smash, however its kinda insane how up-smash went to an invaluable read option in smash 4 with jump cancels, into a pretty crap move, end lag is massive, and the last thing ike wants to give his opponents with his current tool set is a very easy way to put him in the grave, i generally survive well into the 160-180% area.
Eruption (on stage)

atm ike feels more or less like a mid tier, possibly lower. his current meta game pretty much relies on zoning aerials (spamming) and with the potential parry has to screw up his zoning by punishing it, i dont have huge hopes for his current position. needless to say ike struggles against defensive play, as his shield poke is truly pathetic, and his grab game is... bad. he shines in having these awesome hit confirms off nair but once the opponent understands that you have no reliable strings for damage (even d-tilt doesn't string well on DI) its pretty easy for them to turtle. unlike smash 4 ike, the grab potential of ike is there but the damage isn't reliable, and that really hurts what ike can do. he has no amazing shield breaking abilities, so shield damage is pretty minor of a concern, so tanking his blows and properly positioning against him is decently easy.

the only other thing of note for ike is that his quick draw is seriously needed a buff to its speed atm, its far too slow for how little pay off its worth (6%) which in smash ultimate is kinda pathetic given the generous amount of damage projectiles deal. not only is quick draw slow relative to the speed of this game, but the payout is tiny for how big of a risk it is in neutral. its a good recovery option sure, but atm ike feels like he has no reliable usage of his special moves on stage.

i think ike was highly overrated in the initial viewings of smash, and i dont think he is anywhere near as solid as the likes of lucina and marth as far as swordies are concerned.

seems like you guys are underrating how good counter is. with ikes current kit it can be hard to find kills if they are playing properly, this gives ike a solid kill option to beat out zoning short hops. counters across the board in ultimate are more powerful but have higher endlag, so keep it in mind, the payout for counter is awesome.

edit:

ike's down tilt isn't that great guys, endlag on that move is heavy, and the payout can be variable with proper DI, its got a good risk to a mild payout, definitely not what i'd consider amazing, more just decent

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I think d-air in this game can definitely fit in mid tier. You're not going to be tossing it out in neutral willy nilly, but it does combo into a LOT from mid to high percents and shouldn't be brushed off.

The landing lag changes have turned it into a much bigger threat than before, follow up is easier and punishing out of shield can be more pesky. Even though it's our most sluggish aerial, I wouldn't overlook it too hastily.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don’t think jab should be anywhere except S-tier. It’s invaluable for Ike.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I don’t think jab should be anywhere except S-tier. It’s invaluable for Ike.
If we are talking about Ike's Jab from SSBB, which was amazing due to its cancel properties and 16% damage, I would agree.

Unfortunately, Ike's jab in SSBU is its worst iteration yet, though jabs have been nerfed for several characters in this game. Like in SSB4, the hitbox still comes out fairly quickly at frame 4; however, it is now more difficult to string into other attacks for mix-ups, such as Jab 1 to D-tilt, and its range is shorter. Granted it's still useful as a get-off-me option for Ike, but it's also a bit upsetting that it's no longer possible to do anything creative with it, like the "combat walk".

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Ike's Jab in SSBB was considered the best in the game from what I recall (unless that changed in the last year of the game's meta). Only Snake's really came close. In this game it feels very off though, that said I don't really like any of the jabs in this game except DDDs which is nuts.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Back in SSBB the argument was always Ike vs Falco's jab for best in the game. Did you want F3 + 11/14 frames of hitstun, or F2 and 7 frames of hitstun? Snake, Falcon, and Luigi were fighting for 3rd.

Anyhow, this is my very early "literally just got to play him for the 1st time 2 hours ago" tier list for his moves.

Stupidly Good Top Tier:
Nair

Top Tier:
Uair
Bair

High Tier:
Fair
Utilt
Ftilt
Dtilt (Really, really wish this thing had a tad more range and a slightly higher/more vertical launch angle)

Mid Tier:
Dthrow? (Understand it has some combos still)
Uthrow? (See above)
Aether (If its as decent OoS as I think it is)
Jab
Dair
Pummel

Low Tier:
Quickdraw
Fsmash
Counter

Bottom Tier:
Dsmash
Fthrow/Bthrow
Usmash

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Why is Usmash so low? By switching direction at the end of a run you can really screw up air-dodge timings since the direction changes (left to right instead of right to left), it is a very old Ike-SSBB trick that works very nicely in this game since people don't see it coming.

Dthrow is great, can combo to Aether and some aerials at low percentages. Fthrow is pointless outside of getting them off the ledge. Would put Utilt lower since it no longer covers around us.

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
Why is Usmash so low? By switching direction at the end of a run you can really screw up air-dodge timings since the direction changes (left to right instead of right to left), it is a very old Ike-SSBB trick that works very nicely in this game since people don't see it coming.

Dthrow is great, can combo to Aether and some aerials at low percentages. Fthrow is pointless outside of getting them off the ledge. Would put Utilt lower since it no longer covers around us.
dthrow into aether doesn't seem true and isn't worth the risk from what i've seen, his grabs are mostly just positional with the exception of downthrow to like 40%. keep in mind also, that if you dont catch them with certain parts of aether they dont take that much damage, and in certain situations aether can deal less damage than a standard fair

However, his up-smash is bad for the same reason up-air isn't god tier. they are, for all intents and purposes insane moves (up-air more so than up-smash which is laggy in this game) but are completely shut down from their potential due to how slow ike is. trying to follow people around with up air and actually get them into those air dodge situations doesn't really happen unless your opponent is playing a bad character with bad landing options and or bad air speed.

the reason cloud up-air was god tier in smash4 was because he had the speed to back it up as an endlessly obnoxious anti-air, air dodge would not help you. with ike, hes far slower, and as a result air dodging away tends to be too much for him to handle and he has difficulty punishing it even fast falling to the ground and going all in on a dash attack.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

I had found absolutely no use for Usmash at the time. I'd probably move it up a little at this point, but in generally it feels rather "bleh" to me. The fact both the start and end hit below the ledge combined with throwing off airdodge timing via turning around means its at least usable as a ledgetrap mixup option.

As for Utilt, I think it has as much utility as in previous games, just different utility. Less "cover all around me" more "quick anti-air/wall of sword to stuff approaches".

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the Utilt is still just my muscles messing with me, I use it in situations where it would work in other games but doesn't now. Usmash is mostly great for baits, especially now that we have but one airdodge. Turning it around is a fun little mechanic but that's all it has. It isn't his best attack, but it can be great.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, all his smashes make me want to slam my head to my desk, but DSmash comes out fastish and FSmash has the read potential.
Of course if they don't hit, the enemy has enough time to play through Path of Radiance Maniac Mode and still be back in time to punish you.

Ugh, just give me a normal smash attack.

Datfalsetto

Smash Rookie
This thread is such an informative read lol I was under the inpression his F-smash was the best thing ever. I just guard the edge and charge smash, nooot doing that anymore haha

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
Alright, all his smashes make me want to slam my head to my desk, but DSmash comes out fastish and FSmash has the read potential.
Of course if they don't hit, the enemy has enough time to play through Path of Radiance Maniac Mode and still be back in time to punish you.

Ugh, just give me a normal smash attack.
feelsbadman. ike's up-smash used to be the stuff of legends in smash4, capable of covering a large amount of options and killing decently early. now its kinda crap.

ironically, gannon has an up-smash comparable to sm4sh ike, the theft is real.

Top Bottom