• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Zoa

Smash Ace
Just my two cents, but I agree with Ripple. Once the MU is played out more ,and people start figuring it, I definitely think she'll be dropping spots. Her lack of kill moves, especially with their noticeable start up, will hurt her in the long run. Once people start incorporating ledge grabs to punish tethers I can see this hurting her more as well. She definitely suffers from killing off the top. I'd need to go over frame data again, but doesn't she suffer from poor OoS options and laggy end lag on her tilts/smashes?

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Couldn't Marth just dj from ledge, waveland down (so just slightly onto stage), and fsmash towards the ledge to deal with forced tether hop? Seems like if you do it in the right spot, you'd be able to cover all drift options.
Sure, you probably won't be getting many tippers, but you're still hitting them back offstage, and that's the important part. Keep doing it an eventually they're going to die.
afaik you can't do that on reaction and hit them back offstage. The full drift in goes too far. Even if you waveland onto the stage and then F-Smash (which I think covers all options) she can full drift -> fast fall fast enough to land onstage and get DJ/Down B back

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Couldn't Marth just dj from ledge, waveland down (so just slightly onto stage), and fsmash towards the ledge to deal with forced tether hop? Seems like if you do it in the right spot, you'd be able to cover all drift options.
Sure, you probably won't be getting many tippers, but you're still hitting them back offstage, and that's the important part. Keep doing it an eventually they're going to die.
I already mostly explained this, but the thing is that youre really just putting her back off stage, up high, with her DJ and down b regained. marths not gonna fsmash her before she lands. thats a fact. from up there, its not terribly hard for her to work her way back to proper stage positioning. it takes marth several good reads in order to secure her stock with an edge guarding loop like this especially considering the fact that dtilt and fsmash have absolutely no value to punish a missed sweetspot here, since missing a sweetspot doesnt apply with ZSS. He often wont kill from it. When youve played the MU out a lot, marth has a ton of trouble guessing right that many times, and the ZSS player lives for a long time generally. player 0 said it with fewer words than me, but when you go through the details and practicality of how marth can dish out a punish on her, you start to see it.

Just my two cents, but I agree with Ripple. Once the MU is played out more ,and people start figuring it, I definitely think she'll be dropping spots. Her lack of kill moves, especially with their noticeable start up, will hurt her in the long run. Once people start incorporating ledge grabs to punish tethers I can see this hurting her more as well. She definitely suffers from killing off the top. I'd need to go over frame data again, but doesn't she suffer from poor OoS options and laggy end lag on her tilts/smashes?
she has a lack of raw, powerful moves, but she is not at lacking in ways to kill and secure stocks. I agree that as time goes on, people are going to start understanding her recovery better, and learn ways to more efficiently deal with the tree of options she has while coming back. however, her recovery tree is a lot more complex than most characters, and that on its own will still set her recovery above many others, even when people start punishing it better. The punishes are also very MU dependent. Characters like fox, CF, and roy can get a great punish on a forced hop without having to go through much of the option tree process to get her to DI wrong. other characters simply cant get a meaningful follow up that will lead them anywhere other than putting her back offstage with ALL of her options back in tact. marth is just simiply one of those characters. he cant get much MEANINGFUL reward out of tether punish.

her OOS isnt amazing, but its far from terrible (looking at ike). she is really just lacking a move that comes out before her grab. she doesnt have any crazy frame 3 intangibility move like some characters have. she has a good grab range though, relatively quick aerials OOS (uair and nair are both very usable at a relevant range), and a rewarding, closer range move that she can turn around with (Up b). bair is also very relevant at a great range on characters that arent short. again, this is a MU dependent quality, but the only MUs where her average OOS options start to hurt is the space animals.

utilt is a little bit laggier than other tilts, but its comes out frame 3, has 2 hits, covers both sides, great vertical range, and is very rewarding. Id take the tradeoff in a bit of extra lag for that. dtilt FAF on 25 with good range, great reward, and is very safe on many characters shields (lowers your body, puts you out of grab range). ftilt is quick and non laggy. dsmash comes out on frame 20 i believe, but has an FAF on like 36, which is very very good. theres not a lot of lag at all there. upsmash isnt really relevant.

Really not convinced about counter arguments to the marth MU.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

fwiw i kinda understand why people say XYZ about their marth MU, you have to know what youre doing and if you dont that character just eats your face. that said, a lot of people overrate his MUs and in the grand scheme of things he really isnt all that great. going into the top tier of play theres def other characters that are much more concerning than marth. and yes, zss is one of them.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
ZSS not having kill moves is just a meme right? Not only does she have a strong spacing bair that is also a kill move, and easy to set up into, she has down-b dive kick which is stronger than most smash attacks, and easy conversions off of downsmash which is a really safe poke, as well as being an amazing tech chase tool?

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
ZSS doesn't have a kill button so to speak. Most of her kills come from a combo string, close to the edge, or both. Random hits in neutral do happen (bair, dsmash, fair) but they're all kinda reaching. Fair to call out a bad dash dance + bad DI, dsmash is good if you know they won't shuffle an aerial and are farther than an arm's reach away, and bair walling is really powerful but not sufficient on its own.

At the end of the day ZSS should have no problem killing especially on small and medium stages. Even nair at higher percents can lead into things, set up and edgeguard, or outright kill them. But sometimes you're getting to the percents where you juggle them and then use upB --> uair and it still doesn't kill them.

Journal

Smash Apprentice
The punishes are also very MU dependent. Characters like fox, CF, and roy can get a great punish on a forced hop without having to go through much of the option tree process to get her to DI wrong. other characters simply cant get a meaningful follow up that will lead them anywhere other than putting her back offstage with ALL of her options back in tact. marth is just simiply one of those characters. he cant get much MEANINGFUL reward out of tether punish.
Couldn't ledgehop uair to fsmash work?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Couldn't ledgehop uair to fsmash work?
if the marth player switches to roy, then yes.

ZSS is probably going to be holding towards the middle of the stage. DI isnt really going to allow anything more than a sourspot, and likely going the other way, not back offstage. uair > fsmash really only seems to often happen on space animals, or with platforms while rising up to properly control the difference in height. doubt youll see uair > tipper too often

you can rattle off every single possible marth punish that could "possibly" work, but when it comes down to it, too many of these punishes are too DI dependent, spacing dependent, and require too much of a read on both of those things. thats why roy is such a better tether punisher, because his sweetspots dont require incredible spacing. roys punish game is a 50/50 guess on which way shes gonna DI the dair. fsmash/bair are a threat if she DIs away after the dair, and if she survival DIs instead, then shes getting ken comboed. if she tries to smash DI away on the dair, a simple ledge hop fsmash might take care of things. if you want to switch it up, you could simply ledge dash > dtilt/fsmash. another 50/50 DI mixup, both are heavily rewarding.

fox doesnt even need a good read. ledge dash > charged up smash on reaction should suffice. you could even bair to cover drift away, then upsmash to cover the landing.

falcon can outright reverse knee you, or if he fears the amsah tech, then he could just dair > knee you. now falcons neutral is more threatening to ZSS, and his punish game on her is even arguable better than marths (especially considering links to kills). EVEN with that, there are stages that ZSS beats falcon on. its hard to use one MU in general as a reason that another MU is bad, but in this case, thats two very integral areas of play to consider. when weighed next to each other, marth doesnt look quite as appealing to be the one to deal with ZSS.

these are few examples of how other characters deal with her. there are many more I could go into, but since they are relatively common characters, and provide clean examples of certain attributes, I feel them to be a good example. when you use these characters as a base to see what kinds of things can beat ZSS in certain situations, marth doesnt have them.

1.)lacks relevant kills from conversions (fox, falcon, and roy all have great conversions to get consistent kills).
2.)lacks ability to provide a safe answer to her projectile (falcons/fox's nair are far superior to deal with it, and theyre more mobile characters)
3.)lacks safer conversions from neutral (compare marths grab to roys safer, and longer ranged dtilt)
4.)lacks ability to cleanly edge guard her without too much difficulty (there are too many reads he needs to make on her burst mobility, multiple jumps, projectile, and wall jumps)
5.)lacks ability to get a consistent kill conversion from punishing a tether hop

now even with this, I have already previously explained why i think marth can go around even with her on smaller stages, but heres a more organized interpretation of it: Point 3 is mitigated due to the increased ability of things like fsmash, tilts, and his grab to cover space on the stage; point 2 is also mitigated since her projectile isnt as safe when the stage space is crammed; point 1 is mitigated as a result of 2 and 3 directly being mitigated by stage size; the nature of ZSSs ability to recover with walls and use platform layouts to her advantage (both for neutral, and for escaping juggles) depends on if its GHZ,FoD, WW, etc, but point 4 still remains an area where marth wont really excel; point 5 remains in tact.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
I already mostly explained this
Uh not really all you said about in your post before was this
The sourspot is pretty easy to get on reaction to a tether hop (just ledge dash > fmsash without the dashing/pivoting process), but its not that rewarding. wont kill until 160 on FD
The fact that ZSS would end up landing and getting her options back wasn't brought up till after my post.

#gettingcaughtupinthesemantics

Could utilt work? Leads to follow up or kills depending on percent, though I suppose there's probably a middle range where you won't get either. Maybe dsmash could hit before they land, as it's faster than fsmash? Or is it not fast enough (probably not since that's only 5 frames)?
Or what about turnaround neutral b, since you could start it in the air, thus shaving off frames there

I suppose better players than I have already probably thought about what options Marth could have and probably found that none of them were particularly effective, but I'm just wondering.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Uh not really all you said about in your post before was this

The fact that ZSS would end up landing and getting her options back wasn't brought up till after my post.

#gettingcaughtupinthesemantics

Could utilt work? Leads to follow up or kills depending on percent, though I suppose there's probably a middle range where you won't get either. Maybe dsmash could hit before they land, as it's faster than fsmash? Or is it not fast enough (probably not since that's only 5 frames)?
Or what about turnaround neutral b, since you could start it in the air, thus shaving off frames there

I suppose better players than I have already probably thought about what options Marth could have and probably found that none of them were particularly effective, but I'm just wondering.
all of those will get you a hit, none of them are likely to get you a kill.

Player -0

Smash Hero
If percent is decent and you're quick waveland reverse Up B might hit before ZSS hits the ground and sends far enough offstage to continue edgeguarding

It should also be noted that Marth has ample time to set up a tipper D Smash and that thing is super strong for landing in.

The sourspot on the D-Smash/D-Tilt (that sends out iirc) might be fast enough before landing but it would still be super tight.

I think the Marth can react to the reel in and change his waveland according to drift full out/in.

This isn't taking into account regular getup from Marth at <100% (as ZSS still gets forced hop as Marth is getting up, which eliminates waveland lag and which way to waveland.

I'm not sure about most of this stuff, just giving impressions of possible options. Need to actually lab some of this stuff.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK Fox Wolf new Meta

AKA PM is now exclusively for nerds

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i had a long argument with lunchables about fox run speed. i said i wish fox was slower, like had MK run speed, because its still really fast and preserves the flavor of the character, but less stifling and has less opportunity to be degenerate with dashdance camping. lunchables says fox is supposed to be the best and nerfing that would ruin his identity as the best and that no one would play a slower fox because people pick fox to be the best character. to me, fox having a fixed identity as the best character is indicative enough that hes ridiculous and should have been adjusted a long time ago. lunchables says player preference should supercede standard good design guidelines in this case because the change would alienate too many players, and normally i would agree but its really hard to on this one. we're just kinda stuck on this atm and curious what other players have to say, so what do all of you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
so what do all of you think?
You seem to think that Bowser has a fixed identity as the worst character (other than Pit), so I'm not sure where your standard is coming from.

EDIT: In any case, I'm with you. Having one character that's "supposed to" be the best is ****ing ********

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

odds i dont even think bowser is as bad as everyone says...? i dont think any char should be scripted into a set portion of the tier list.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so what do all of you think?
If something's a design problem, and that problem can be fixed, fix it.

If that makes the character too much worse, then you give them a fix elsewhere.

His point of alienating has a logic to it, since we're trying to share the melee player base, to an extent, but at the same time, they're just going to play melee, anyway, so do what's best for PM.

Frost | Odds

I don't actually think he's that awful in strict terms (at least, significantly less so than before); he just happens to have terrible matchups against basically every relevant character, due to one of his outlandish properties or another, so however you look at it, his dead-last spot on most tier lists is pretty well deserved.

Also, I can't stress this enough, **** melee players. They don't give a **** about PM. Kowtowing to them so consistently was the single largest mistake the PMDT ever made. Other than Snake.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
idk Pit's D-Smash sending up instead of out is a pretty bad mistake imo

and making Link's/Pit's Up Smash not work.

and Pit's Nair never worked ever. Like Samus' Up Air somehow links better.

and Wario's Side B

and Snake's down Smash detonation area

and tethers after 3.02

and hitlag changes after 3.02

and change list awkwardness

and Ganon's nair getting derped

and Ness' DJ being slow af

and G&W's semispike pan being so strong/semispiking

and Snake's Dair

and Sopo's Up B not being sped up

and Link's really meh boomerang

and Diddy's Side B meteor being so strong

been sitting here for like 10 minutes but nothing immediately comes that's not being super subjective. The stuff above is entirely objective fact and not subjective at all.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Player -0 Player -0
What were the hitlags changes after 3.02?

Why are the tether mechanics bad? I like them. I like Brawl's a little better though because you actually ledgehog them.

Ness' dj is fine. Mewtwo, Lucas and Peach do just fine with their dj.

The rest of your complaints I more or less agree with.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I wouldn't call Diddy's side b meteor as being that strong. I can surcive it better the Falco's side b meteor at any rate.
Part of it is that he can ride your face down a bit before jumping off.

That, or the animation is so long to start up you'll fall a bit before the meteor happens, sort of artificially lowering you before doing the meteor.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Can someone tell me why some of you consider Fox to still be a problem? I felt that he was fine after 3.6, and think that nerfing him anymore would just go beyond neutering him. Both the changes to his recovery and his shine (which I'll admit I don't really like the 3.6 shine change, but I do acknowledge that it removes a huge "cheese" factor of his character) make him so much more tolerable. Add that on top of the changes he got in previous versions and I don't see him as "ridiculous" as some of the other characters in this game (even despite some of these characters still being worse than Fox).

Another question I'd really like to ask is that even if the PMDT were in a position to make changes again, why nerf Fox even more? Haven't we seen enough characters getting overnerfed to the point where they essentially lose a lot of what made them interesting or worth using in the first place? What's wrong with just buffing weaker characters? And before anyone says 3.02, that version had a handful of characters that were much better than fox, while also having incredibly bad design choices + gimmicks. I'm not saying that we should buff bad characters just to buff them, but rather that you look at the tools a bad character has that hardly work, and work on making them, at the very least, viable. Looking back at 3.0 and earlier versions, they were messy and the characters were absolutely ridiculous. It'd be pretty hard for the PMDT to make those design mistakes again when buffing the bad characters. But at the end of the day, development's still over, so discussing buffs and nerfs is utterly useless. You're not getting what you want and neither am I.

I will admit that I don't agree with "x character should be designed to be the best" though. However, I'm not even sure if I think that fox is undisputed as the best character.

Fox doesn't have a single bad move, and I'm perfectly okay with that. What I do have a problem with is unviable moves on any character, or people that pretend as if Fox is to blame for the lower tier characters having ****ty attributes or moves that don't even function properly. Pit's up smash doesn't work properly? Yoshi is still bugged to all hell? Olimar's recovery is actual hot garbage? Let's focus on nerfing Fox instead.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I'm curious what characters you think are being stifled by Fox that aren't also being stifled by at least one other character.

If we're gonna go full Smogon and use character centralization as a--oh hey Kip posted a longer version of what I'm trying to get across LOL

What I would like to know is why we're worried about buffs and nerfs when PMDT has been rip for like 6-7 months now, like guys this doesn't actually mean anything anymore

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Fox doesn't have a single bad move, and I'm perfectly okay with that. What I do have a problem with is unviable moves on any character, or people that pretend as if Fox is to blame for the lower tier characters having ****ty attributes or moves that don't even function properly. Pit's up smash doesn't work properly? Yoshi is still bugged to all hell? Olimar's recovery is actual hot garbage? Let's focus on nerfing Fox instead.
Sure, but why are people still talking about changes as if they're a possible thing that can happen? I'm not happy about 3.6 being the final version, but Jesus, that's the reality.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
I can see how my post kinda sounds as if it implies future patches in some parts of it, or that others may be implying future patches, so my bad there. I actually edited my post a bit earlier to include the acknowledgement of no future changes. I'm not satisfied with ending it on 3.6, but I know there's nothing that can be done about it (Well there is one thing that everyone could do, but no one wants to use it, and at this point,I'm not really concerned with pushing for it either.).

Still, I don't really like that Fox takes a bit of heat for having good attributes that some other characters unfortunately don't have. To be honest, I wish smash had more characters like the spacies, but at least PM offers Lucas and Wolf. :drshrug:

Life

Smash Hero
People have taken "Fox is OP" for granted ever since 3.5 dropped, when it hasn't played out above a local level for like a year at least.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
I think the biggest thing in PM was that some characters ended up actually very well designed and were given changes to make their over bearing moves more modest. Other characters however, were not given that same treatment, and you ended up with an extremely big difference in how different characters were treated. one example is making roys recovery kinda pathetic, but other characters like zard and squirtle that still have that same hang time werent even touched. ganons nair was made to be modest because of its defensive value to him, but disgusting moves like falcons nair remained fully intact. DDD was already a kinda not so great character, and it was decided to nerf one of his most useful moves (dair) while completely and utterly neglected everything else about him that absolutely should never have been utterly neglected (jumpsquat, emtpy land lag, 70 frame neutral b, quickest move is frame 7). Link got neutered into 3.5, compensated a bit into 3.6, but theres very little reason why you wouldnt pick toon link over him. Things like this kept polarized aspects of the game in tact, and I think whatever design voting process the dev team used really deterred smarter people from being able to make decisions and implemented good ideas. When applying this to fox, yes, he should have probably been touched on a bit more. Other characters were senselessly being nerfed, while ******** characters were left fully intact with their over bearing attributes.

These are very short examples of things, and yes, its hard to understand one characters changes in the scope of anothers, but I think a lot of people were pushed away from PM as a result of the discrimination treatment on characters. I think preserving the flavor of a character (especially coming from melee) is definitely important, but catering to that crowd to keep melee characters essentially the same definitely set the pace for polarized game design.

Regardless, I still do believe that PM is wayyy more balanced than melee, and despite the fact that I think there were easy things that could have been accomplished that werent, they still succeded in making way more characters playable.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Player -0 Player -0
What were the hitlags changes after 3.02?

Why are the tether mechanics bad? I like them. I like Brawl's a little better though because you actually ledgehog them.

Ness' dj is fine. Mewtwo, Lucas and Peach do just fine with their dj.

The rest of your complaints I more or less agree with.
Some move's hitlag modifiers were changed a to be less hitlaggy. I suppose it made the moves a tad safer on block theoretically but it made them feel a lot less powerful. Namely Link's grounded Up B and TLink's aerial off the top of my head.

Tether changes are a personal problem with how much they got hit going into 3.5. I don't really like the changes panned out, seems like a couple of ideas to nerf them were plumped together and it went overboard.

ZSS' recovery is a character specific thing because lol

- M2 has teleport and capability of acting out of it as well as a tail and hover cancelling.
- Peach is more of a defensive character with spooky hitboxes (which actually kind of saddens me because playing her aggressively is difficult because her DJ is slow. Also I suck at moving her still).
- Lucas' DJ is fast. I actually want Ness' DJ to be faster but not quite as fast as Lucas' so you can still shenanigan with the way it works but it's not slow af.
- I see Ness as an aggressive pressure character that doesn't quite put on pressure the same way Fox does. Maybe more like Falco.

A lot of the problems are just stuff I complain about because I'm bad.

Diddy's Side B meteor is pretty strong and some people just get boned. I'd have like to have seen the meteor cancel window pre 3.6 (I don't remember the differences between beta and full at this point) kept and the meteor strength of Side B lowered a bit or made into a footstool.

Softie said it would make Didds dumb so I guess I'll take his word for that. Could've implemented a driftable but non actionable state until a certain frames (and therefore distance) passed so he could nanner/waveland later. Footstool would still send opponents down but Diddy would have to commit more to Dair/ledgehog. There's probably a bunch of problems with the idea but shrug, is idea.

Olimar's recovery is kind of dank. If you get hit by it you're pretty much (idk the landlag of the move is broken long lol) not punishing Oli. The angle it goes is pretty much perfect for platform cancelling.

Problem is that there's 3 million frames of landlag, only 1 angle/speed/distance, and 0 disjoint (I couldn't think of a 2). The sick thing is that he goes into walls for walltechs though so I think walltech the Marth F-Smash if you miss sweetspot (can that move sweetspot?) -> Charged Pikmin Pluck -> You're onstage again, tada! is gonna be meta af if someone starts Oli'ing hard. I mean you can react to the distance I suppose and ledgehog before Oli can even go to intercept but you can still go for onstage and hopefully Marth misses ledgedash -> tipper F-Smash. So basically bad Sheik Up B at the point.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Problem is that there's 3 million frames of landlag, only 1 angle/speed/distance, and 0 disjoint (I couldn't think of a 2). The sick thing is that he goes into walls for walltechs though so I think walltech the Marth F-Smash if you miss sweetspot (can that move sweetspot?) -> Charged Pikmin Pluck -> You're onstage again, tada! is gonna be meta af if someone starts Oli'ing hard. I mean you can react to the distance I suppose and ledgehog before Oli can even go to intercept but you can still go for onstage and hopefully Marth misses ledgedash -> tipper F-Smash. So basically bad Sheik Up B at the point.
Marth should just rising dair from the ledge 9/10 times. He only should fsmash if Oli goes high.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
project m is--and I am saying this with the preface that this is my favorite SSB iteration of all time, official or no--a permanently unfinished game. the whole cast seemed to grow more and more into playing the same game with each version (don't forget, there was once a time where lucario was actually much, much sillier with combos than he is now), but even so, you inevitably had characters who needed to be wildly different to start, lest we ended up in a scenario where characters could be boiled down into "low-rent/slightly-better version of melee top tier".

the intent of those designs were that it's important to get a unique design that matters in first, and then balance and tweak it later. because the PMDT disappeared for reasons nobody beyond a small handful of people within it knows, there's no longer a later to work with, and this was made worse when 3.5 and 3.6 redesigned entire playstyles with that intent, so the gap between a total package that hasn't needed changing and a WIP forever doomed to be in progress is that much bigger.

metaknight's still good though so it works out. glory be to top tiers

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Last time I gave Olimar a chance, Shokio gave me a close game. I will murder any Bean Sprout Slave Masters I run into with great gusto

Top Bottom