• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
you said that way more concisely then me lmao
I'm not and never was saying counter play for snake's stuff doesn't exist
you guys are building my argument differently from what I'm actually saying and knocking down the strawman instead
mostly just saying the snake (inb4 "BUT YOU PLAY ROB") forces you to deal with him in the most unrewarding ways possible

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ill tell you right now GaW main weakness is his approaches are linear AF, if you are a character that can space him out effectively with a strong projectile you will win

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
100% skill and planned. please change side B pmdt T__T
you should just give in and get behind my awesome idea of each hit of side-b counting up to the next number (with reworked numbers for usability)
people like to say the RNG is hype or w/e, but the only thing more hype then the possibility to kill somebody at any time during a combo randomly? anticipation. When they know you have the 9, and it's only a matter of time...

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Since we're talking about Snake, I guess I'll chime in.

My problem with him isn't that he's too good or too weak, it's that he's genuinely unfun to play against and far too special to have anything resembling a fair matchup. If your character can apply mid-range pressure and gimp easily, Snake is so free it's boring. Otherwise, he's going keep his distance and throw **** everywhere. At this point, you have two options:

1) Win neutral and go for a combo which you won't be able to finish because there is no way you can focus on neutral and avoiding Snake's projectiles at the same time. Ends in a trade, which leads to a stick. Snake automatically wins neutral until this thing comes off, which happens never for some reason. Down throw, Down-B, GG.

2) Wait until you can safely combo. This means giving Snake more time to set up. Both players end up avoiding interaction. Fun. And when you finally do get that combo, don't expect Snake to die. He's heavy, he can act out of Up-B, and he can recover from anywhere.

You can win this uphill battle, but having fun is impossible. The Snake player can make tons of mistakes because of his trade-forcing minefield and guaranteed recovery. Meanwhile, you need to play perfectly. This is soul-crushing. Imagine being a new player facing this in tourney.

There is a reason why Diddy can't have 2 bananas, and Zelda can't have 3 Din's. It's the same reason why Snake should not have a mine, C4, mortar, and grenades.
You're throwing out a lot of absolute statements here. "No way" to focus on focus on neutral and dodge projectiles (and I assume you mean mines as well) whatsoever? "Automatically" winning neutral as a result of having someone stickied? Comboing Snake is something you "won't be able to finish?" Having fun is "impossible?" He can recover from "anywhere?" You seem to be very, very confident about the limits of what people can and can't do against Snake. It's hard to take these claims seriously when I've played against people who adapt and do the things you say are impossible.

But that's more of an argumentation/logical issue rather than a gameplay issue. Some constructive advice:

First off, Snake's launching throw is Up Throw, not Down Throw. Down Throw is when he lays people on the ground.

Second, Snake is not hard at all to combo. His weight and fall speed are nearly identical to those of Link and Ike, both of whom are characters known for their susceptibility to long combos. He does have significantly faster combo escapes in Dair (3 frames, strict non-disjointed range) and Cypher (5 frames), but neither of those are anywhere close to Luigi Nair status due to Snake's inherent attributes. Yes he's heavy, yes he can cover a lot of distance with his recovery, yes he can act out of Up-B, but his recovery is not very fast and he has no disjoint on it. Effective edgeguarding against Snake exists, but I don't have the time or the energy to go into that right now. Try some stuff out yourself when you get the chance.

Third, you don't have to give Snake time to set up to avoid his traps. There is a spacing you can occupy that allows most characters to punish Snake for trying to lay explosives while still forcing him to commit pretty hard if he wants to approach. Projectiles work wonders at shutting down campy Snakes. Also, you can shield every projectile Snake has, except for C4, which requires Snake to be right on top of you.

Fourth, I don't know where you got the idea that trades force a sticky. If I'm in the air, pulling a grenade to escape a combo, I'm going to DI the explosion away to reduce the chances of a follow-up.

In response to your final point, the only time you should realistically be dealing with the entirety of Snake's arsenal is during an edgeguard situation. Snake cannot feasibly set up a mine, C4, a grenade, a mortar, and a tranq while dealing with a competent opponent onstage. Especially against any character with a projectile. As a side note, you can detonate mines by running up and shielding. If timed right, you will slide into the mine as it blows up (iirc the hitbox on the mine comes out on the second frame after something enters its detonation radius).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Warning Received
PMDT please fix Project M. Project M was once great, and it can become great again, but it's not great right now.

You have all these developers and debuggers crossing over from the internet. They are not sending their best people. They are sending people with a lot of johns and salt, and they're bringing that salt here. They are bringing bad theory-craft, they are bringing Nintendo Lawsuits. They are hackers, nerfers, and criminals. AND SOME, I assume, are good people. But we need to build a great firewall around the PMDT and stop these bad guys from crossing in.

I'll build a fabulous wall. I'm a a builder, I'd build the greatest, most classy firewall out there. The iOS it will run on would make Steve Jobs wish he was as smart and capable and rich as me. I'd have it monitored 24/7 and do what Warchamp should have done a long time ago! He's giving away positions to China, to Mexico, to Japan. I'll be so tough on Dev team position negotiations, I'll make them pay for every spot they fill up. $100,000 for every one they try to take.

Strong Bad and others in this administration have had their chance. Nobody can do their job, it's unbelievable. Our PM Personal Relations suck, we keep losing players to Smash 4, I know how to make deals ok? I wrote the book Art of the Deal (TM), I've made deals with all sorts of people. This one Chinese gentlemen just recently bought Smashboards from me. The Asians love me! I got tens of thousands of Mexican Debuggers who have worked for me over the years, the Hispanics love me! I'm winning in all the polls, when asked about the threat of Nerfs I was voted #1 to stop it. They voted me #1 on fixing the applications, #1 on not adding in crap new characters, I'm leading in everything!

Everyone, I am asking for your support to elect me as Head of PMDT so that I can Make Project M Great Again.

Yours Truly,

Donald Ledge Trump

D

Deleted member

I'm saying there should be actual reasonings instead of "x should be removed because y".

I can understand thinking that snake's grenades are dumb, but how is it an issue that they blow up when you hit them? Why are you trying to hit a GRENADE? Most people either gtfo or throw a grenade back when it's thrown at them, and Snake's grenade encapsulates that idea perfectly. It being a combo breaker tool isint always good for snake either, as they damage him too. He's supposed to be a trap master type character, and if you fall into one it's kind of your own falt

(I'm not saying I disagree with you on the grenade stuff, i'm just curious if you have anything else other than "I dislike the mechanic")
maybe you missed the memo but the "y" part is the actual reason. which we always provide. in spades.

the problem with grenades is that if snake gets a lead and your character doesnt have a specific tool to stop him from grenade camping, you just have to accept that you'll be trading with grenades for the next 6 minutes. some characters have projectiles that can deal with it, like falco laser or pit laser or maybe samus missles. huge chunks of the cast have nothing like this. its not a "trap master", it shuts down way too much to be reasonable and makes everyone playing against it want to quit.

someone has to call the line between "unique" and "stupid" and its arbitrary and opinionated any way you do it. i want more jank put back into the game to make it fun again, but i want jank like diddy's side b or kirby's dash attack or ike's quickdraw. you know, things that are fun but dont shut down entire characters and make everyone want to quit.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
maybe you missed the memo but the "y" part is the actual reason. which we always provide. in spades.

the problem with grenades is that if snake gets a lead and your character doesnt have a specific tool to stop him from grenade camping, you just have to accept that you'll be trading with grenades for the next 6 minutes. some characters have projectiles that can deal with it, like falco laser or pit laser or maybe samus missles. huge chunks of the cast have nothing like this. its not a "trap master", it shuts down way too much to be reasonable and makes everyone playing against it want to quit.

someone has to call the line between "unique" and "stupid" and its arbitrary and opinionated any way you do it. i want more jank put back into the game to make it fun again, but i want jank like diddy's side b or kirby's dash attack or ike's quickdraw. you know, things that are fun but dont shut down entire characters and make everyone want to quit.
No, the difference is what you just did there, actually explaining your issue with the move. Too many people use the "I dislike x because y" and leave it at that, without really explaining anything, instead of using "I dislike x because of 'a' , 'b' and 'c' reasons"

It's like writing a paper for college, your professor isint gonna just let "The grass is on the ground" fly, you have to give details, talk about the color of the grass, is it clean, lively and well maintained, or is it wild and overgrown and rough? Do you see the difference?

Edit: FlashingFire covered everything else pretty much so didnt respond to those parts

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
For the record, even I dislike how optimal Snake play seems to revolve around grenade usage. I'm not a very grenade-heavy Snake, especially in neutral, but it's hard when your more aggressive, interactive options are generally outclassed by a safer, non-interactive one.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
DACUS seems to be snakes only real good aggressive option. Normally a move like that would have too much commitment to be good, but the mortar coming back down reduces the gravity of the punishment he can take assuming he misses. If snake had some kind of aerial that was decent for threatening space with as well, he wouldn't be so reliant on chucking grenades/jumping around dropping explosives and forcing people to make mistakes that run them into an explosion

Rachman

be water my friend
Why haven't G&W's animations been fixed? This has been the jankiest thing in PM for quite some time now. Do that, work with hammer some, and maybe make falling dair easier to punish (to make him being above you a more disadvantageous/committal place to be since he can get there so ridiculously easily) and he's probably fine. Waaaaay too much salt @ lil bby forrest for just being the better player on that day.

And yea guys, if you properly bait out unsafe reactionary defense with shields and properly sdi/di/cc every move characters get worse. And yes, if you learn the match up characters get worse. That doesn't mean your character is bad lol, I still think Ness should get minor buffs to finishing his opponents off (probably to bair and bthrow) because they just seem slightly less effective than I think they should be. But seriously, there are only so many times multiple people can place well with a character with a character before you have to stop acting like they're trash. How many Falcons outplaced SK with their 14 years of development (I'm assuming 0)? CLEARLY people have just learnt the mu where you simply have to asdi down punish his nairs, abuse his lack of non grab fast/safe grounded options, extremely linear recovery, sdi/di every uair/nair perfectly etc /s. Like I don't personally think Ness is that great but at what point do we stop ourselves and think "hmmm, maybe I DON'T understand this game perfectly and there is more to Ness and/or this game than I may understand at the moment?". How many characters perform better than Ness on a national scale? Are Ness players born with simply more inborn talent than other players? Ness isn't that uncommon of a character, there is a good Ness everywhere you look and that's as someone who doesn't know much about scenes outside FL. People have mu xp, perhaps part of the game is that people aren't perfect and that's part of what makes smash fun? Food for thought, not going to claim to know everything and certainly interested in responses. The first thing I thought was that this would be indicative of a less complex char ala Mario but I certainly disagree with filing Ness into that category.

Also, finally succeeding in pretty much solely reviving my local PM scene as the only real local TO (like 20 man entry so not bad). One of the players was a Squirtle who I pretty handily destroyed but holy crap is that character annoying. I've fought Lz's G&W and that is honestly incomparable to what fighting Squirtle was like. It's true I don't understand exactly what the vulnerability windows for Squirtle's burst movement options are (as I am aware/assume most are highly committal) but that was probably the most aggravating character I have ever had to fight. Perhaps irrelevant, but in light of the recent discussion I've read I think people are ignoring the fact that many mus are vastly less compelling and more aggravating than fighting G&W (although the Snake discussion is a perfect example of what I'm referring to as far as highly aggravating and less compelling for many characters). I will say that I think ZSS is really fun to fight as a less popular example of a well designed character IMO. I'm not necessarily asking for any changes, just wanting to throw that out there as it seems to be a relevant topic.

I'd like to say that, barring a few random exceptionally good mus against chars who I happen to think are fairly powerful, Kirby is definitely ignored far too much and is around DK level atm imo. Maybe I'm overlooking something massive and some Kirby main will correct me but I've never seen any discussion about improving him on here so is he generally considered to be fine in his current state?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Turn them into stun grenades that basically function the same as deku nuts, but still made you dizzy in the air

Or making grenades do crazy shield damage so that Snake is forced to do things other than shield drop them

Maybe buff his run speed up and speed up his bair (making it not linger and just pop out for a bit) so that he has an agressive ranged option in RAR > Bair

I mean if you guys are going to take issue with a move and how it works then you must have some idea of ways said moves could be changed to bring the character more in line with what you want them to be like

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Keep grenades almost 100% the same as they function right now. Noticeably increase the back-to-back window you have to pull a fresh grenade after a prior one exploded. Snake has to wait ~2-3 seconds (or some suitable time period) before using another one. This should hit some perceived abuse.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
Why haven't G&W's animations been fixed? This has been the jankiest thing in PM for quite some time now. Do that, work with hammer some, and maybe make falling dair easier to punish (to make him being above you a more disadvantageous/committal place to be since he can get there so ridiculously easily) and he's probably fine. Waaaaay too much salt @ lil bby forrest for just being the better player on that day.

And yea guys, if you properly bait out unsafe reactionary defense with shields and properly sdi/di/cc every move characters get worse. And yes, if you learn the match up characters get worse. That doesn't mean your character is bad lol, I still think Ness should get minor buffs to finishing his opponents off (probably to bair and bthrow) because they just seem slightly less effective than I think they should be. But seriously, there are only so many times multiple people can place well with a character with a character before you have to stop acting like they're trash. How many Falcons outplaced SK with their 14 years of development (I'm assuming 0)? CLEARLY people have just learnt the mu where you simply have to asdi down punish his nairs, abuse his lack of non grab fast/safe grounded options, extremely linear recovery, sdi/di every uair/nair perfectly etc /s. Like I don't personally think Ness is that great but at what point do we stop ourselves and think "hmmm, maybe I DON'T understand this game perfectly and there is more to Ness and/or this game than I may understand at the moment?". How many characters perform better than Ness on a national scale? Are Ness players born with simply more inborn talent than other players? Ness isn't that uncommon of a character, there is a good Ness everywhere you look and that's as someone who doesn't know much about scenes outside FL. People have mu xp, perhaps part of the game is that people aren't perfect and that's part of what makes smash fun? Food for thought, not going to claim to know everything and certainly interested in responses. The first thing I thought was that this would be indicative of a less complex char ala Mario but I certainly disagree with filing Ness into that category.

Also, finally succeeding in pretty much solely reviving my local PM scene as the only real local TO (like 20 man entry so not bad). One of the players was a Squirtle who I pretty handily destroyed but holy crap is that character annoying. I've fought Lz's G&W and that is honestly incomparable to what fighting Squirtle was like. It's true I don't understand exactly what the vulnerability windows for Squirtle's burst movement options are (as I am aware/assume most are highly committal) but that was probably the most aggravating character I have ever had to fight. Perhaps irrelevant, but in light of the recent discussion I've read I think people are ignoring the fact that many mus are vastly less compelling and more aggravating than fighting G&W (although the Snake discussion is a perfect example of what I'm referring to as far as highly aggravating and less compelling for many characters). I will say that I think ZSS is really fun to fight as a less popular example of a well designed character IMO. I'm not necessarily asking for any changes, just wanting to throw that out there as it seems to be a relevant topic.

I'd like to say that, barring a few random exceptionally good mus against chars who I happen to think are fairly powerful, Kirby is definitely ignored far too much and is around DK level atm imo. Maybe I'm overlooking something massive and some Kirby main will correct me but I've never seen any discussion about improving him on here so is he generally considered to be fine in his current state?
Everything you said is true, except kirby might be the worst in the game right now.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
What would just making Snake's grenade's timer drastically longer do? I can think of grabs to quick throws getting good and the commitment of pulling a grenade growing as long as he could still only have one out. Maybe slower paced matches and even more waiting too though.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Almost any unfavorable situation involving a grenade, becomes less of an issue if there's not another possible grenade getting spawned quickly.

Trade with Snake in the air and set off grenade? Ok. You may be able to stay near / under him and go for a juggle since the new grenade has to wait a couple of seconds before it can be used. He's throwing grenades at you? Won't be as often. Camping in shield with grenade, or grenade near him as a trap? Can break through easier after waiting.

Changing the CD / New Spawn timer would still let him do things similar to now, just not as repetitive. It promotes a smart shield grenade, a smart b reverse grenade to get down, etc. Shifts the move away from a general "press B if in danger or if you have space", and makes it a move that gives the opponent greater leniency on punishing him for missed opportunities. If he's not doing the same thing over and over, that leads to gameplay diversity, which should lead you to balance other issues about the character or how he interacts with others better.

With that said, his grenades don't bother me too much atm. Not a big surprise, I have fast great characters like CF Marth and Fox. I don't mind a lot of grenade usage cause it probably means he's not Uthrowing me to hell. Speaking of Uthrow, how uh do people not realize that's a poor throw? Are we cool with it cause he's all bulky and slow? His release point is so low, he CG's characters who don't often find themselves victim to any Uthrow CG and some extend for much longer % than a higher release point like say Marth.

That's about it. More concerned with other chars than Snake: people still DD and get caught by tranq or other silly nonsense so til that doesn't happen as much, hard to criticize

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yes and no. It can save him, but there are other similar scenarios where after he blows up, he's fairly vulnerable. If blowing up once on a trade is silly, take your pick of him just still mashing B since this is his emergency button vs "Oh I can't do that again, let me find some way to hopefully land lol I'm snake"

I'm not that against him being able to combo break or try to land with grenades, since you can poke his body without hitting the grenade (or judge the risk of who's at higher %, who will escape hitstun earlier, can I benefit from doing this trade, etc). It's not just 100% all bad all the time, if it were then my change wouldn't fix much.

Also gives you a bit of leniency for putting pressure on him if he pulls one out and you baited him by not swinging. You can let him land, have it explode (or have him toss it if he can't afford to go boom on his own and he's higher up) and try to do something with the CD window. Doesn't necessarily prevent the cheese I guess but making the cheese less cheesy by giving you some leeway when he mindlessly tries to implement it. I think that's a decent approach to the move.

OH YEAH I READ THIS AND

"lunchables definitely hated ROB this weekend
nothing new there"

How could Lunchables hate on ROB anymore? ROB finally got the weight changes. "Just make him easier to combo, it will be alright"

Lemme guess, that wasn't satisfactory?

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Because funny enough, weight changes don't change a character's nonsensical design.

Who'd have thought?

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
So... Subject change... Why is olimars recovery so awkwardly bad.

The angle is so bad you have to land unsafely or risk going under the stage and its NOT SAFE ON HIT. Olimar would be so much better if his recovery wasnt so edgegaurd easy (worse than bowser, at least he can sweet spot)

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
For the record, even I dislike how optimal Snake play seems to revolve around grenade usage. I'm not a very grenade-heavy Snake, especially in neutral, but it's hard when your more aggressive, interactive options are generally outclassed by a safer, non-interactive one.
This. I play a very grenade-heavy but not optimal Snake because I like to play aggressively. I love shield dropping them, WDing to pick up, and running towards my opponent and shielding. I also love going for the hail mary straight up grenade throw or AGT to attempt a finish (though it very rarely happens). I think Snake can be hype as **** AND aggressive, especially when people play Snake how you or Prof play Snake, but he would need some variation on that aggressive game to make it better than grenade camping. I've played against other janky, slow, campy Snakes that wreck at low-mid level play, and I can see why people are so frustrated by it at that level. At higher levels of play (where I am not, obviously) Snake is very easy to punish (combo weight and predictable recovery), but holding the pin is pretty much a get-out-of-jail-free option that frustrates all levels of players.

Certix_

Smash Rookie
Short answer: no
Long answer: nooooooo
But seriously, Kirby is almost unanimously considered not fine on the Kirby character thread. A lot want better mobility that isn't a burst option. But we disagree on how exactly we would like Kirby changed. I'm no expert, so I'm hoping another can elaborate.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
But seriously, Kirby is almost unanimously considered not fine on the Kirby character thread. A lot want better mobility that isn't a burst option. But we disagree on how exactly we would like Kirby changed. I'm no expert, so I'm hoping another can elaborate.
Gonna sound like a bit of a jerk here, but have any Kirbys recommended options that make the character tolerable to play against? Haven't been able to stand him since he got put in 3.02.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Since we're talking about Snake, I guess I'll chime in.

My problem with him isn't that he's too good or too weak, it's that he's genuinely unfun to play against and far too special to have anything resembling a fair matchup. If your character can apply mid-range pressure and gimp easily, Snake is so free it's boring. Otherwise, he's going keep his distance and throw **** everywhere. At this point, you have two options:

1) Win neutral and go for a combo which you won't be able to finish because there is no way you can focus on neutral and avoiding Snake's projectiles at the same time. Ends in a trade, which leads to a stick. Snake automatically wins neutral until this thing comes off, which happens never for some reason. Down throw, Down-B, GG.

2) Wait until you can safely combo. This means giving Snake more time to set up. Both players end up avoiding interaction. Fun. And when you finally do get that combo, don't expect Snake to die. He's heavy, he can act out of Up-B, and he can recover from anywhere.

You can win this uphill battle, but having fun is impossible. The Snake player can make tons of mistakes because of his trade-forcing minefield and guaranteed recovery. Meanwhile, you need to play perfectly. This is soul-crushing. Imagine being a new player facing this in tourney.

There is a reason why Diddy can't have 2 bananas, and Zelda can't have 3 Din's. It's the same reason why Snake should not have a mine, C4, mortar, and grenades.
I remember my first tourney match ever was against a Snake, and it was absolute hell, but thankfully said Snake also hated fighting my character of choice, (Mario) because I could negate his setups from a safe range with fireballs and I ended up reading his tranq habits with capes. So I somehow ended up winning that set 2-1 but I felt like all the fun in the world had disappeared, since I had to resort to heavily camping his ass in order to win

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
but have any Kirbys recommended options that make the character tolerable to play against?
Just curious, what changes would make this possible in your (or anyone else here's) opinion. Im sure I have an idea of the several moves that need reworking but i'd like to see if I left anything out.

Certix_

Smash Rookie
Gonna sound like a bit of a jerk here, but have any Kirbys recommended options that make the character tolerable to play against? Haven't been able to stand him since he got put in 3.02.
Kirby works in that he limits what others can do in neutral and sometimes in combos, unique to Kirby. His crouch stops some grabs and jabs,as well as some short hop approaches. His aerials are generally fast and long lasting to catch approach and OOS options as well as facilitate Edge guards. His multiple jumps can help bait out commitment options so he can safely return to stage or punish. His two burst movement options catch bad neutral options and extend combos.
Most of his options are to punish options that work for the other 90% of the cast. Once you figure out what you can't do in the matchup compared to usual, he is (barring a handful of matchups) not a strong character by himself. Since this is the way that Kirby works, he can be not fun to fight against. The nerf to his inhale helped a lot because of how anti-meta and interactive it was. But like many characters, he never got compensated. Nerfing his burst options slightly and raising his air and/or ground speed/mobility would make him more conventionally stronger while also making him more conventionally interactive. Whether that's the way to go or not I don't know.

In short: he makes you play different than others, respect this and he is not hard to beat. I'm on phone so excuse bad stuff.

Edit: It depends on what we are trying to make Kirby be to decide what to change and how to change it. I personally think Kirby should have higher aerial mobility and speed, his first jump reaches max height faster, and that dash attack is harder to combo off of unless it carries the opponent offstage or is used for its platform stuff. Other stuff is more wishful thinking.

Last edited:

redbeanjelly

Smash Cadet
Now I know Kirby had basically no representation. But honestly I feel like he isn't talked about much. Despite a few outliers in his MU spread (Ike) he overall doesn't seem that great a character.

What can we do to bring him more in line with the rest of the cast?
Downtilt forces tripping, a la Diddy banana.

Rachman

be water my friend
I agree that Kirby is not fine atm but I lurk this thread occassionally and never see any mention of him, which struck me as odd since I consider him to be one of the weakest members of the cast. Not horrid by any means, but probably a little worse than he should be.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
You can bait up b, then punish him as he comes down. He can b reverse bacon, double jump, dair (which is easy to punish) or do nothing, so he has quite a few mix-ups. Find out how your character can cover at least 2 of these options, or cover what the GnW player does the most on the way down. Ex: Shield pressure him with an aerial at a safe distance away from his up b hitbox, which is smaller than shine) then aerial him as he goes up. Characters with swords have an easier time doing this.
I am still not sure this interaction/relationship is as polished as it ought to be. I'd say you forgot to add in Bucket Stalling/reversing, and fall down fair/bair are also mixups, in addition to the breverse bacon and dair. You could also argue tomahawk, and delayed uair (w/ landing hitbox) are also mixups if your opponents goal is to shield punish the possible dair. So in reality, when a GnW is above my head, I have the following options.

Scenario A: he saves his double jump, and he dairs. Beats most people intercepting from below, but loses to shield.

Scenario B: he saves his double jump, I try to get under him to cover the dair (via shield) and intercept him if he doesn't. He double jump jukes me and comes down with a falling fair/bair. Relatively safe on shield.

Scenario C: I try to intercept him from a side in the air, so as to avoid the key but still catch him. GnW bucket stalls, double jump aerials or double jumps to the ground. Potentially, I can still cover this if I don't commit too hard.

Scenario D: He's landing on me. I opt to shield so as to punish the Key. He's almost landed on me and no key has come out. He immediately starts an uair as he's about to land. Uair has a landing hitbox (meaning once uair's entire animation is over, there is an extra hitbox that magically covers him upon landing). This beats me if I'm not patient to stay in shield through the entire duration of the uair. Accounting for this final option has a high chance of losing to pure tomahawk.

I think your post, LZ, was pretty great, but I still think upb isn't nearly as disadvantageous a position as it ought to be. I think GnW's upb has to be altered for him to be healthy. I propose the mewtwo treatment--he can only use his jump after upb if the upb is started from the ground. This also would give him less flexibility with his recovery.

Like I don't personally think Ness is that great but at what point do we stop ourselves and think "hmmm, maybe I DON'T understand this game perfectly and there is more to Ness and/or this game than I may understand at the moment?". How many characters perform better than Ness on a national scale? Are Ness players born with simply more inborn talent than other players? Ness isn't that uncommon of a character, there is a good Ness everywhere you look and that's as someone who doesn't know much about scenes outside FL
I've already said a lot on this and at risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll just say a little bit more and then probably break from the topic. Please be patient with me while I seemingly defend this character once more.

People seem to realize that Ness was widely played in the top 64 bracket of Paragon. According to this link so were DDD and Bowser. Neither of those characters are being discussed, probably because Ripple and Odds didn't make it to top 8. StereoKIDD, the best Ness in the world did make it to top 8, played his hardest match (bracket wise) against someone who displayed real lack of matchup knowledge (IPK), and then lost in top 8 once that player showed a day and night difference in adaption. Just two weeks prior, at another significantly less stacked tournament with just as much high level Ness representation, every Ness under-performed. Between 5 Nesses, not one made it to top 16. StereoKidd and Boiko were amongst that group of Nesses.

This statement is getting said a lot: "Nesses keep performing well, when are you going to realize that a character can't be that bad with good results".

The thing is, that statement is purely based on what happened at Paragon and does not consider other tournaments as a whole. I think the reason why we keep having this conversation about Ness and not Bowser/DDD is because people (rightfully) consider Ness as having a higher ceiling, and in a world where most of you don't play Ness, there is a natural urge to believe others have a similar lack of understanding of his potential. I won't say Ness is figured out, but I will say us Ness players have actually developed the character pretty far due to a few very specific reasons.
A. Ness, for whatever reason, attracts almost exclusively solo mains. Aki, Myself, Stereo, Reslived, Reyn Time, Dr. Grin, Octo, Zeej, Calabrel are all practically solo mains. Boiko was mostly a solo main, and has been putting a bit more to Samus lately, while Tetra has always been a dual main. This is maybe the biggest factor as to why the Ness metagame has come pretty far. Most of these players have been soloing Ness forever, and haven't switched from or to the character, meaning they've gotten the chance to experiment with the depth that exists for that character. Contrast that against someone like Wolf or Roy, for example, who have high ceilings but are basically used MOSTLY as secondaries by the prominent players in today's metagame.

B. Ness is popular. I named 10 players just now who use the character at a high level, and didn't even mention RedSP, Eli, and others. It's hard to name 10 good players for any character. Purely on the basis of statistics, the affinity between popularity and solo maining means some people out of the woodwork will unlock that character's potential in special ways.

C. Ness has been mostly unchanged since 3.02. I guess his core traits were heavily changed when pkfire was nerfed in 3.5, but all of the Nesses I mentioned besides Reslived were pretty pkfire light going into 3.5. As a result, you have a character who has had a pretty steady set of tools for a few years now, without disruption.

I personally don't buy into the Ness exceptionalism argument at all. I don't think Ness players are better than other players. But I do challenge the idea that Ness has some hidden potential we cant even see. I know you won't take me for my word, but things like invincible ledge approaches, full jump djc dair combos to maximize frame advantage and give us enough time to reaction tech chase, dtilt to djc dair loops, djc uair combos, magdash combos--hell, even things like "if you fair someone off the ledge but land right on the edge, you can often force a DI in from the opponent into a lower angled bat" are being implemented (and netted Stereo some amazing Gfy moments this weekend). There are two separate frame perfect techniques that Nesses have started to employ (Double Jump Landing, and EX Fire). All Ness players can get a lot better than they are, but I DO think the core problems we analyze are REAL and are only going to become bigger (and are becoming bigger) with time. It might seem crazy when we say "you can just SDI that and prevent followups", since that can be applied to anyone. But when the bulk of a characters approach is essentially two moves (Dash attack and fair), its not ridiculous to presume any good player can crouch cancel the former, and SDI the latter ON REACTION.

Finally, there is the element that Ness (similar to GnW) has a potent game plan against those who seem unable to abuse his deficiencies, and he's actually a beast when players lack that matchup knowledge. @ Rachman Rachman you made the claim that good nesses are everywhere so we have to stop dismissing things on the basis of experience--however, I'd ask you to point out what high level Nesses is IPK playing against? Three or four of the notable Nesses that went to paragon were way out of region. That helps at the highest level, and can be the difference between three wins in bracket versus four wins in bracket (which placings wise, is huge).

TL:DR - One tournament indicates very little about character balance and metagame. Tournament victories seem to be great at casting a spotlight to begin discussion on something (GnW's power, Ness's power, etc.) but they do very little as evidence in and of themselves. </NZAsaltfactoryisclosed>

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I agree that Kirby is not fine atm but I lurk this thread occassionally and never see any mention of him, which struck me as odd since I consider him to be one of the weakest members of the cast. Not horrid by any means, but probably a little worse than he should be.
No one really talks about him because there is little to go off of, its not truly shown how bs he is right now. When Kirby does come up its usually answered in 1 or 2 random posts, then people continue talking about ROB, Ness, D3, Bowser, GnW, or whatever, because its more important and relevant to them.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
I like Kirby's kit overall, but would appreciate a more useful fthrow. I'm thinking something more horizontal launching which wouldn't necessarily kill but could get stage position or set up for a potential edge guard. Edit: oh also I like iasa after fthrow on Kirby's way up in smash 4. It's fancy

The tripping mechanic makes sense based on other smash games, but if it were done we'd need a sweet spot tripper or something. Couldn't be the whole hitbox imo

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
The one thing that Inotice all of you people complaining about snake's grenade breaking comboes is that Snake himself takes a decent chunk of percent for it. There's hardly any instances where the snake can safely drop the grenade in a way that would interrupt your combo AND let him get away squeaky clean

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
The one thing that Inotice all of you people complaining about snake's grenade breaking comboes is that Snake himself takes a decent chunk of percent for it. There's hardly any instances where the snake can safely drop the grenade in a way that would interrupt your combo AND let him get away squeaky clean
Snake in the air= a dead snake Grenades are double-edged swords and can either put Snake at a disadvantage or RESET neutral (unless the opponent has a sticky AND snake gets out of stun faster). If Snake gets blown up (and is in the air), he is at a serious disadvantage because he is susceptible to juggles and combos due to his weight and fall speed.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Just curious, what changes would make this possible in your (or anyone else here's) opinion. Im sure I have an idea of the several moves that need reworking but i'd like to see if I left anything out.
I think most of us can agree that Dash Attack is kinda dumb and over-centralizing to his kit. Better general movement and some nerfs to that move would help him way more than letting it remain as is.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
I think most of us can agree that Dash Attack is kinda dumb and over-centralizing to his kit. Better general movement and some nerfs to that move would help him way more than letting it remain as is.
How is it over centralizing at the moment? I feel that he has other approach options, and generally using dash attack in a too centralized way will be punished in many matchups

Certix_

Smash Rookie
Dash attack is the fastest method he has to punish from a distance with sh fair or Bair or run up grab/d tilt being much slower. It also conveniently slips between moves well and is a cross up on shield. Also it carries off stage and combos on bad di. It does need a slight tone down so other parts of kirby can be addressed.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Dash attack is the fastest method he has to punish from a distance with sh fair or Bair or run up grab/d tilt being much slower. It also conveniently slips between moves well and is a cross up on shield. Also it carries off stage and combos on bad di. It does need a slight tone down so other parts of kirby can be addressed.
Let's hear those suggestions that would break the character before we go removing a cool option he has...

Frankly, I don't think dash attack prevents kirby from having better things. Mostly, having 5 jumps and having a less obvious role as compared to MK, DDD, and Jiggs is what makes it hard to know whta to make him better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom