• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Boiko

:drshrug:
I think Bowser is hella good.
@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds Seagull played Bowser against Frozen in grand finals of Nova. He really just spaced fair almost the entire time and it worked so well because you pretty much need to respect Bowser's zone if you have a measly grab range or your approach can be CC'd.

He eventually switched back to Diddy though.

I don't know. I think Bowser is a good character. It seems like his hardest match ups are disjoint, long grab ranges, and fast projectile spammers (or ya know, Toon Link). Everything else seems completely doable for him. Having armor on command grab and crouch is kind of crazy IMO.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Almost all MUs are totally doable for Bowser - though he's typically disadvantaged. Whether or not you call him a "good" character is a matter of semantics, but regardless of your terminology, I don't think it's really debatable that he's in the bottom quarter (or at least, the bottom half) of the cast.

That said, if he is 'good' right now, in my opinion, he's good for the wrong reasons. I'll just copy some relevant thoughts I shared with a friend on Skype.

I see Bowser's flavor/identity as:
- Being fat and laggy (read: high commitment), but having moves that come out quickly and hit super hard
- Being difficult to kill, but relatively easy to combo
- Despite his fatness, not necessarily having terribly long reach. IMO, that's more the domain of D3/DK/Charizard. D3 hits like a truck and has a ton of range. DK has super long arms and hits quite quickly, but doesn't hit quite as hard. Zard has plenty of reach and power, but is a bit slower and higher commitment

[3/29/2015 11:08:24 PM] Odds [Josh]: like, aesthetically he's kinda curled up in on himself, heavily muscled in a way that implies vicious, explosively fast and powerful movement, but not necessarily sustained or consistent

[3/29/2015 11:10:05 PM] Odds [Josh]: Basically the way alligators strike

[3/29/2015 11:24:05 PM] Odds [Josh]: one of his biggest problems atm is he's just not threatening at all on the ground. He can jab or dash attack you, but so what? that won't kill anyone

[3/29/2015 11:24:51 PM] Odds [Josh]: He's getting by atm due pretty much to his oppressive reach and the ridiculous fair that bandaids his lack of serious grounded threats

[3/29/2015 11:26:35 PM] Odds [Josh]: I mean, look at how ridiculously strong and fast his fsmash is in smash 4 -- and he's still terrible in that game. Zard's fsmash in PM is orders of magnitude better because it does what Bowser's fsmash is supposed to do: cover a couple options really hard. The problem is Bowser's can only cover terrible options that no good player would choose in the first place

[3/29/2015 11:37:48 PM] Odds [Josh]: There's more than one way to emphasize a character's power. and speed and damage are two of them. You could scale back the KBG on fsmash for example by a TON, improve the startup speed significantly, and make it break shields; and suddenly the move would be - and feel - a ton more threatening and dangerous (thus not betraying the flavor of the character)

[3/29/2015 11:38:29 PM] Odds [Josh]: Because right now, fsmash isn't scary at all. By trying to make it scary by just overloading the kill power, it's made into a total joke

[3/29/2015 11:46:22 PM] Odds [Josh]: I guess I'm biased because I want the character to actually be good and balanced, but Jesus Christ; what's more flavorful - a totally irrelevant fsmash that's kinda cool once in a blue moon, or a constant, relevant threat that's always hanging over opponent's heads?

Bowser already HAS a huge, armored, long range, slow, high commitment move with huge amounts of kill power. The fsmash in its current incarnation is 100% redundant. I've started actually using the bowser bomb to get kills on hard reads, and by god it covers way more, and way better options
Basically, Bowser's range+armor is kind of oppressive right now, and bandaids his serious design flaws by highly centralizing him around a few core moves (fair, nair, dash attack) that are just aesthetically and stylistically inappropriate for him.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Having armour on a command grab that is spotdodge-able on reaction and isn't very good in the neutral is crazy? It pretty much requires a read on them approaching, and if you mess up they can probably punish unless you are a crazy slow character with no range..

Fair is da bes tho ur right with that

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Having armour on a command grab that is spotdodge-able on reaction and isn't very good in the neutral is crazy? It pretty much requires a read on them approaching, and if you mess up they can probably punish unless you are a crazy slow character with no range..

Fair is da bes tho ur right with that
Are you a fan of mine/Pidgeot or just mocking me lol? Wondering since every post I make is with :018: at the end.

:018:

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Are you a fan of mine/Pidgeot or just mocking me lol? Wondering since every post I make is with :018: at the end.

:018:
I just find it funny when people think they are special snowflakes and you happened to be one of the first ones I saw so I copied it.

Think there is a guy in the social thread that puts his username at the bottom of his posts.. like what even... your name is literally just to the left of every message you send.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I just find it funny when people think they are special snowflakes and you happened to be one of the first ones I saw so I copied it.

Think there is a guy in the social thread that puts his username at the bottom of his posts.. like what even... your name is literally just to the left of every message you send.
Smooth criminal

-Ripple

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero

I guess it's just a literal signature?

-me

Frost | Odds

I don't know. I think
-Bowser is a good character. It seems like his hardest match ups are disjoint, long grab ranges, and fast projectile spammers (or ya know, Toon Link). Everything else seems completely doable for him. Having armor on command grab and crouch is kind of crazy IMO.
IDK how I missed this part of the post, but I'll never miss an opportunity to babble about Browser.

You're essentially right about the types of MUs that tend to be troublesome, though projectiles are much less threatening overall than they were last patch due to dash attack's intangibility (as far as I know, the single biggest buff he's ever gotten). Toon Link is far from his worst in my experience, though. Ganondorf, ROB, and GnW, are IMO by far his worst MUs, and I typically switch off to other characters against any of those - but many others are still worse than Tink.

Armor on the Klaw is pretty silly - it just needlessly adds complexity to the opponent's mental model of how Bowser works. It's incredibly unintuitive, as the very core rock-paper-scissors model of basically all fighting games including Smash bros is Attack > Grab > Shield > Attack. Armor on a grab just confuses and frustrates uninformed opponents without actually providing Bowser any benefit whatsoever at high level. I would vastly prefer if the armor were removed from the grounded Klaw entirely, the attack made substantially faster, and the decision between Klaw and standing grab be based on other factors (such as endlag, potential followups, sliding distance on the standing grab, etc) than startup speed.

Unintuitive mechanics like armor on the Klaw, and too much armor on the nair and dash attack, are the types of things that alienate, frustrate, and confuse the hell out of new players looking to pick up PM, particularly if they come from Melee backgrounds. To my understanding, one of the most basic concepts of game design is that you want low complexity (ie. 'easy to learn') but high depth ('hard to master') at pretty much every level of the game - level design, controls, character balance, whatever. The PMDT has done amazing work in implementing this for most characters, so Bowser kinda sticks out like a sore thumb in that regard because he's incredibly high complexity (hard to learn) and low depth (easy to master) in terms of decision making (though his tech is still stupid hard). His matchup is incredibly hard to learn at low levels, but basically a complete joke at high levels, barring some of his attacks which are simply broken as hell and manage to sort of carry him.

At low level, in addition to all the other stuff that you have to learn in every matchup (spacing/move speed/combo DI/etc), you have to know/do all of the following:

- Yes, Bowser's dash attack goes through basically anything
- That there are 4 levels of armor
- The rough amount of kB that will break through each armor breakpoint
- Which moves have how much armor, see:
INVINCIBILITY FRAMES: up B
SUPER: n/a
HEAVY: FSmash, down B, USmash, Side B, Nair (!!!!!!),
MEDIUM: DSmash, Dash Attack
LIGHT: Crouch/Crawl, Dtilt1
I'm the best bowser but I'm not sure if I missed anything? That should really say something. :x
- Bowser's ledge jump is very safe (4 frames) and lets him do a lot of stuff that isn't available to any other character
- Bowser's ledge attack is ludicrously huge, covering more than half of a lot of stages
- Get used to the command grab from the air. While it basically never works at high level, getting used to this is near-impossible for low level players
- Get used to dealing with Flame Cancel
- Get used to having far fewer safe-on-shield options due to upB
- Get used to getting naired out of a lot of combos that work on basically every other character
- Learn to DI the Koopa Klaw
- Learn to edgeguard against upB's ridiculous aerial hitboxes (I often get aerial upB -> grounded upb -> fortresshog -> ledge attack or fair or nair -> edgeguard to death combos from this)
- Learn to deal with Bowser's ridiculously strong/long ranged options from fullhop -> perfect waveland across platform -> fastfall

...And so forth. My point is that Bowser is well beyond OP at some levels of play - he's completely unintelligible. That doesn't really mean he's 'good' at high level play where his matchup is theoretically understood, but the above list is just not at all a reasonable burden of knowledge for most players. Pretty much all of this stuff is currently necessary for Bowser to compete at all at high level play, but, again, it's all bandaid stuff. I'd much prefer if the armor list looked more like this, and Bowser given appropriate buffs to compensate - and he were therefore made simpler and deeper.

EXAMPLE CHANGES TO ARMOR

INVINCIBILITY FRAMES: up B
HEAVY: FSmash, down B, USmash, Side B, Nair (!!!!!!),
MEDIUM: DSmash, Dash Attack
LIGHT: Crouch/Crawl, Dtilt1

EXAMPLE POST-CHANGE ARMOR LIST BELOW (pls click to expand)

INVINCIBILITY FRAMES: n/a
HEAVY: down B
MEDIUM: FSmash, DSmash, USmash, Nair
LIGHT: Crouch/Crawl, Dtilt1, Dash Attack, up-B
Notice how much easier/more intuitive the bottom list is to memorize. There's only one 'heavy' armored move, the smashes are all in the same category, nair is still a wrecking ball, but not that much of an outlier, and everything else is simply light, and therefore not a huge frustrating dealbreaker if the opponent manages to forget about it.

Not necessarily saying that's the exact changes I want to the armor system, but it's pretty close, and a huge step in the right direction imo.

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Ya Smooth Criminal that's the guy I don't get his deal lmao.

I guess it's just a literal signature?

-me
Yeah.. but.. why? Forums don't need literal signatures because we aren't anonymous...

nimigoha

Smash Ace
@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds

I don't think Dtilt1 has armour.

And Crawl has armour. A darker tint than crouch but I don't know if it's still Light or if it goes to Medium.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
The Social thread is over there ---->
Yeah sorry it wasn't meant to chain like that and wanted to respond to his question where he would see it.

Odds knows his Bowser shiz.

@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds

I don't think Dtilt1 has armour.

And Crawl has armour. A darker tint than crouch but I don't know if it's still Light or if it goes to Medium.
I didn't think it did either, but it does have a little bit of armour towards the start of it. I dont know why...

Frost | Odds

@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds And Crawl has armour. A darker tint than crouch but I don't know if it's still Light or if it goes to Medium.
Crawl is light armor. Crouch technically has less than light armor, but when you add Crouch's armor together with the comparable effect of CC, they are cumulatively identical to Light armor. That's why he goes a shade darker teal when crawling in Debug mode- the effective armor on crouch and crawl is technically the same, but crawling doesn't have the knockback reduction effect of CC.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
? Since when is there anything less than light armor. Shouldn't it be Light on crouch, Medium on Crawl, Heavy on his smashes/side-b/probably something else I forget

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Crouch does have less light armour. The actual values of the crouch is like 53.333... where as common light armour is 80.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Oh, I just tested, I see. To compensate for the 2/3rds knockback reduction (I guess this is applied before armor is considered) PMDT lowered the threshold to 2/3rds of 80 (53.33) to give the same effect as light armor in any other situation. I had always wondered why the armor threshold didn't get exaggerated due to the CC, I just assumed that the check for the armor occurred before the final knockback reduction of the CC or perhaps even using a modified formula that disregards CC, but instead they just gave it a special threshold.
Funny tho, I used ROB's nair, it breaks knockdown threshold at 1% on boozer. He's probably the only character that doesn't get knocked down at 0 lol. 1% is also the same percent it breaks crouch armor and causes a regular crouch cancel instead

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

I don't think that's what he's saying, it looks like he meant that crouch has... XtraLite armor? idfk
There's two different effects on crouch - the first of which has two kinda sub-components.

1. CC (which is common to every character), which consists of
a. a threshold below which KB doesn't knock the character back, tumble him, or send him into hitstun
and
b. knockback reduction, which is to my understanding exactly equal to the threshold in (a)

and

2. some amount of armor which, considered in isolation, is less than the amount normally considered 'light'.

When Bowser crouches, his KB threshold is equal to 1(a)+ 2, the sum of which = light armor. He still has light armor when crawling, but doesn't have the KB reduction of CC because that would be insane.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I think what you are trying to say is lost somewhere in translation, but either way I already know how crouch canceling/ASDI-down/etc works. I edited my post above to explain my confusion

If it were actual light armor though, it still wouldn't be that insane. It'd have the same threshold of breaking true CC, 120KB, which is still less than Medium armor at 140KB

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It would be higher than Light Armor though which is what it's supposed to be, and it WAS insane, it was in one of the older builds of PM.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Very clever of you guys to sort that out then.

And I was wrong before, the first few frames of Dtilt have some armour but it disappears like 2 frames before the hitbox comes out.

@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds just watched your series so far, please keep it going as it looks like it will be the most comprehensive character guide for PM.

Vandire

Smash Cadet
I think Bowser is hella good.
@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds Seagull played Bowser against Frozen in grand finals of Nova. He really just spaced fair almost the entire time and it worked so well because you pretty much need to respect Bowser's zone if you have a measly grab range or your approach can be CC'd.

He eventually switched back to Diddy though.

I don't know. I think Bowser is a good character. It seems like his hardest match ups are disjoint, long grab ranges, and fast projectile spammers (or ya know, Toon Link). Everything else seems completely doable for him. Having armor on command grab and crouch is kind of crazy IMO.
Lets just agree Bowser is a beast.

D

Deleted member

Almost all MUs are totally doable for Bowser - though he's typically disadvantaged. Whether or not you call him a "good" character is a matter of semantics, but regardless of your terminology, I don't think it's really debatable that he's in the bottom quarter (or at least, the bottom half) of the cast.
i think if your goal is to solo play bowser in tournaments, then yeah he's pretty bad because you open yourself up to losing tons of sets 1-2 on counterpicks. i think if you play bowser for his amazingly strong CPs (his best asset imo) ala armada YL, he gets much much better and is quite a bit underrated. i agree with you though that its not a healthy character design in the bigger picture, but that said i'm not sure everything has to fit this fantasy ideal we kinda push sometimes.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
bowser is 100% a top tier character until you reach high level of play. then i still believe hes around the middle of the tier list. I think he has a great design concept, but it might still be pretty polarized at the moment. between, dash attack, dtilt, and his grab (not side b), bowsers approach game doesnt involve a typical risk reward scenario. dtilt is pretty low commitment, has armour, and can even swat out aerial approaches from characters with low to medium height SHs. dash attack beats out any kind of attempt at utilizing priority, projectiles, or spacing moves to approach, and can potentially punish spot dodging occasionally. think of a falco debating between approaching with a nair and dair. the nair commands more range and has better priority, but the dair is far more rewarding and beats CCing. in this case, bowsers qualities take away this dynamic, and removes both options. for a grounded opponent, going airborne against bowser isnt usually the best idea because of things like fair, nair, and uair. they just command to much range, deal enough damage, are safe enough, and net enough reward that it simply isnt a good idea to be any place above him. this basically leaves shielding as your staple option to beat out an approach, which gives bowser a 50/50 guessing to deal with. either you shield him (he can still try to grab you for this), or he will run you down with dtilts and dash attacks.

lets take CF now for example. a typical falcon approach dynamic mixes between nairs, dairs, and JCed grabs littered between DDing. dair is his most rewarding option, and beats CCing, but loses is any kind of priority match (at least horizontally) as well as shielding. nair loses to CCing, but wins most priority matches and beats most projectiles. shielding doesnt exactly beat nair, and although falcon can stay safe with jabs, he doesnt garner a reward from pressuring your shield all that easily. grab approaches result from falcon punishing a medium to higher commitment move like a dash attack or aerial approach, or from excessive shielding, but projectiles will usually force him to nair. in this case, you can see some of the level of thought that goes into a neutral game with CF. with bowser, this dynamic is reduced to bassically shielding and DD grabbing. theres never much of an incentive to do anything but wait for him to be in lag.

with a bit of tweaking, i think that bowsers neutral game dynamic can be improved for the better. maybe reducing active armor frames, reducing them, like @ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds mentioned. i think dash attack would actually function well if it was a tad less laggy, less in hitbox duration, no armor frames (or much fewer armor frames), and maybe slightly reduced hitbox size. this way, at least you have some option that you could attempt to beat out in priority, provoking a more thoughtful neutral game for bowser and the opponent. after all, bowser still has moves like dtilt, ftilt, and jab that are very effective in beating or trading with moves in a favorable way.

i like the idea of either reducing active armor frames, reducing heavy to medium, medium to light, and so on throughout his moveset, or some combination of all of those. additionally, other properties of his moveset (like lag, duration, or coverage) can be modified to better suit and reward more precise utilization of armor frames, thereby rewarding the skilled player, and mitigating the "top tier" illusion that occurs below a high level of play. boswer does need to be a tank that can power through moves with brute force and armor frames. i like that concept of his character. but i personally feel this current design is just a tad over the top, and needs to be toned down slightly and re balanced.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just so you know, Tiers are ONLY for top level of play.
theyre supposed to be

doesnt always play out that way though

theres still fat differences in player skill of best with X character vs best with Y character

Narpas_sword

Yes, but the point is to eliminate player ability as much as possible yea?

obviously we aren't making TAS Tierlists, but to say 'hes top tier at arbitrary level of play' is a bit silly.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Just so you know, Tiers are ONLY for top level of play.
it was just to make a point. I have a room mate who plays bowser, and since the rest of them arent exactly tournament competitive, they get absolutely wrecked by bowser, whereas they can handle his other characters relatively well. Ive played him tons of times in sets, and he puts up a pretty good show of what bowser can do, and its easy to see how pther players at his level just simply cant handle bowser yet. what you should have taken out of my post isnt in relation to the 2 sentences where i mentioned tiers, but the rest of them where I was talking about bowsers game play, and how certain things can be tweaked imo to produce a more effective and fun character, while still preserving important parts of his character. you know.. the important parts of the post. id rather discussion centralize around that than a completely arbitrary part of my post.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I think odd's input on bowser deserves a gold noodle star. I've always liked his posts, but the ones concerning bowser are 10/10, why aren't you designing bowser? Btw if I understand umbreon's point correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, then I agree with his post that each character having to be a specific level of balance shouldn't be a thing, considering some people's perception of balance is a bit skewed. That being said, a character regarded as strictly being only good as a cp character, to me screams, "this character is barely alright, and can be only used effectively when matchup knowledge is in question, or to mess with player adaptation", and it shouldn't be a thing.

Last edited:

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Not to fire shots, but isn't just slapping armor on Bowser because he sucks just making him a sucky character that can catch people off guard sometimes for jank kills? The armor on crouch makes sense because it's almost a character-specific buff to his cc, which seems somewhat logical given he's built like a truck. His down-b cancel is a great idea too. But instead of putting random armor everywhere, why can't he just have good moves? Hell give him his Sm4sh bair or make his d-tilt come out faster idk.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I always sort of saw Bowser fit as a grapple character. Considering that no heavies fit that role (lolganonDthrow), is there a way to make Bowser fit that? I feel that would make his design make more sense than adding armor.

Foo

Smash Lord
I always sort of saw Bowser fit as a grapple character. Considering that no heavies fit that role (lolganonDthrow), is there a way to make Bowser fit that? I feel that would make his design make more sense than adding armor.
Isn't DK a grappler?

Not to fire shots, but isn't just slapping armor on Bowser because he sucks just making him a sucky character that can catch people off guard sometimes for jank kills? The armor on crouch makes sense because it's almost a character-specific buff to his cc, which seems somewhat logical given he's built like a truck. His down-b cancel is a great idea too. But instead of putting random armor everywhere, why can't he just have good moves? Hell give him his Sm4sh bair or make his d-tilt come out faster idk.
Replace armor with speed imo. Normalization is good thing in moderation. Having characters that are too fast or too slow in relation to the rest of the cast is a bad thing. The only way to get past the incredible weakness of being fat and slow is giving absolutely stupid stuff like armor or some of zelda's BS. Not saying he needs to be 'fast' just not quite so slow, and without his armor.

Top Bottom