• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Diddy is close to top 5 imo >_>. Insane mobility options, command grab, absurd kbg on fsmash, shiek angle fair that is really strong, projectiles etc etc etc.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Not sure about Ike, but I think Mario beats Diddy, though I've only played one good Diddy.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Goodness gracious I didn't know Squirtle could move like this.
Dude, that's just the basics.

*edit*
Sorry, I thought from looking at the thumbnail that it was his "Squirtle in the neutral position" tutorials that showcase some of his mobility tricks.

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I've played a ton against Diddy, and I can say that he's super dangerous. His stage control is unrivaled. It seems easy to pick up the bananas, but when he can move as fast as he does it gets pretty hard. Also, his dash attack beats crouch canceling on lighter chars, so if you don't have a fast aerial it can be a pain to deal with.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Unless it's your own, of course.
Mine is all that matters.

Though, in all seriousness, most tier lists are based on experiences or perceived experiences of people. You already know this, so majority are just based on bias for or against certain characters that they have seen or or played against. Skill levels vary with all characters and right now there is no solid baseline for all 41 (?).

Even my own tier list is biased and at any given tourney someone could blow my mind with a character that I originally though had very little potential compared to others. I have kind of resolved to see when all the cards are on the table before trying to arbitrarily place characters.

I try to put my own bias aside as much as possible. Still interesting (at times) to see what people think, and mostly based reasons why. If you say you aren't being even a bit biased when you create you're own, you're a goddamn Liar lol. It's human nature.

If you think about it, most tier lists could be referred to as listing you experience against certain characters and try to rate them. That in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't really deserve to be called a "tier list" at this stage.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Or we could discuss the effectiveness of each character at different skill levels.

My friend and I have been doing unintentional social experiments with Project M. There's a lounge area on our campus and A LOT of casuals would play Brawl for hours, but we've converted pretty much anyone who played Brawl to Project M and we ask them every update which characters they think are the best being that they don't have the spacie bias because to them spacies are just bad hard to control characters with sucky recoveries that die fast and have bad projectiles, but a few strong attacks.

From what we've asked recently pretty much everyone has a consensus that Ike is the cheapest character because in a game about KOing he KOs the easiest. People also get extremely frustrated with characters such as Mario, Ness and Olimar just throwing stuff and getting significant damage onboard for pressing b/side-b.

As for at a very high level of skill I would say that spacies are definitely top, along with MK, Mewtwo, Mario, Squirtle, ZSS, Lucas, Link.

All of them have multiple tools to use in a few situations and when you are able to evaluate a situation for what you should do they can mix it up better than the rest of the cast imo.

ChristianStewarts#1fan

Banned via Warnings
Mario is like marth in that they destroy low level players extremely hard, marth his hard to beat ranged attacks and for mario his fireballs and strong smashes. Bad players will also complain about ike and ganondorf killing too fast and that ganondorfs jab is too fast

Also zss cant be top tier until she starts eating more. If you compare her model to link or marth her head is smaller and shes really skinny, it looks really awkward especially when she runs. I dont know if her spider body is from brawl or if she was reduced in size but something needs to be changed about this. Sheik size and thickness should be appropriate.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:diddy: is definitely top five in the game. I think :lucas: and :fox: are definitely up there as well.

I also think :link2: is REALLY good, but I do not know who uses this character well at a high level of play. I'm sure there has to be someone.
:018:

Last edited:

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
I think people are underestimating Pikachu's abilities. I haven't seen too many, but I have a feeling with its great mobility, aerials, combo ability, edgeguarding, and a decent projectile, it's enough to at least be considered high tier now.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
I don't, there are a lot of placings that I disagree with, but the most glaring ones are that Pit is too high and Luigi and Pikachu are too low.
Did you fill out a survey?

Pikachu and Luigi got ranked 6th/7th to last on average and the tiered about 10th to last.
You think they are better than Sonic TL Samus or DK? I could agree they are better than Ice C bowser and Jiggs. But that spectrum was from the survey, so I guess people disagree with me too.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
:diddy: is definitely top five in the game. I think :lucas: and :fox: are definitely up there as well.

I also think :link2: is REALLY good, but I do not know who uses this character well at a high level of play. I'm sure there has to be someone.
:018:
I'd say Diddy's in the top twelve, but I wouldn't at all go so far to put him in the top five. Link is probably somewhere around 13-15, himself. Maybe a tad lower.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
My friend and I have been doing unintentional social experiments with Project M. There's a lounge area on our campus and A LOT of casuals would play Brawl for hours, but we've converted pretty much anyone who played Brawl to Project M and we ask them every update which characters they think are the best being that they don't have the spacie bias because to them spacies are just bad hard to control characters with sucky recoveries that die fast and have bad projectiles, but a few strong attacks.
Fox is still pretty good in low level play because of his UpSmash. It's super fast and kills at absurd percents. Also as soon as you figure out how to do dash attack -> Bair it's over. Wolf is pretty easy to use and strong as well. Falco is probably the main one that new players won't appreciate.

For new players, the best character in the game is probably Ness because they don't know about DI and get trapped in PK fire until 300%. The worst characters would be Luigi and Jigglypuff. Luigi because of his unconventional movement and horrible dash attack, and Jiggs because Jiggs is just that bad.

That being said, low level play is totally trivial when it comes to talking about tiers.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I suppose I'm lucky to not have block-headed friends then. I do tend to get a lot of WTF's when I get QDJC USmash kills with Ike, but people get used to it.The only complaint I ever heard about Ike's FSmash is that it's 'too slow' (they spot dodged too soon and got punished.) I just told them to stop being a narb and get used to my timing, which they did.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I remember the time I got knocked out of a tournament by an Ike player f-smashing the ledge because at the time I was bad at sweetspoting. Bad times but nothing will motivate you to get consistent with sweetspots more.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I remember the time I got knocked out of a tournament by an Ike player f-smashing the ledge because at the time I was bad at sweetspoting. Bad times but nothing will motivate you to get consistent with sweetspots more.
The player who's teaching me not to suck will shine-spike me anytime I miss a sweet spot. It works wonders for your aim.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Sometimes boredom takes hold. So I caved and made one.

This is based on my personal thoughts for every character. It's kinda scrambled, but the general idea is the more to the left a character is, the better they are.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Well I'm happy the see Luigi and Pikachu not at the bottom for once, but Mewtwo, Link, and DK are way to high imo.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Here in the Midwest, we know the true terror of Link the boomerang. Seriously though every weekly tournament. Like 6 Links. And at least 2 of them place high constantly almost every week.

My opinion of Mewtwo is shaky, but I see more good coming from him than bad. D.K. is super solid and takes stocks the second he grabs you on a lot of characters. He's also damn fast for a big character, and his grab game is stupid, especially with his massive grab range.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
He still put Pikachu and Luigi in the bottom 15 or so, just cause they are in a section marked average doesnt mean they are a lot farther from the bottom. The meaning of average should mean that about half characters lie on either side, so B.W. just shifted everything left. I understand that this along with a lot of others is a demonstration of how people think everyone is viable and quality character, however the point of the spectrum is to put an average down and set characters above and below it. Below average means not as good as the average, not bad.

Top Bottom