• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Ryan-K

Smash Master
fox is a contender for #1 because he can deal with any situation and pretty much has free reign to do what he wants. Plus the PM stagelist gives him a million and one counterpicks to outcamp pretty much anyone in the game

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I understand that Ness is largely considered by everyone to be one of the weakest characters in the game, but last on the tier list? No way. I personally find Luigi to be far worse than Ness. Ness can actually combo, whereas Luigi is far too floaty to combo well. Sure, Luigi does far more damage than the majority of Ness' moves, but that's all he has over him (aside from a recovery, that is).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
fox is a contender for #1 because he can deal with any situation and pretty much has free reign to do what he wants. Plus the PM stagelist gives him a million and one counterpicks to outcamp pretty much anyone in the game
No bro, the stage list is totally against them. Look at Skyworld: apparently Spacies go there to die young.

I understand that Ness is largely considered by everyone to be one of the weakest characters in the game, but last on the tier list? No way. I personally find Luigi to be far worse than Ness. Ness can actually combo, whereas Luigi is far too floaty to combo well. Sure, Luigi does far more damage than the majority of Ness' moves, but that's all he has over him (aside from a recovery, that is).
Ness and Luigi have a tendency to knock people away after 2-3 hits. The exception is fast fallers obv because they have plenty of easy vertical juggles. You could also argue that Luigi has a more flexible ground game and that he has an easier time landing a kill move. Basically, it doesn't seem very obvious that Luigi is way worse.

Now what looks WEIRD is Luigi above Captain Falcon. Like wat Kink?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I gotta agree on Luigi > Captain Falcon. However, even though I think Ness has better offense that Luigi, Ness' terrible recovery easily holds him back from being worse than Luigi.
Ok so Fox isn't #1. Say Falco isn't either, just to cover the bases. Who's the best character in P:M then? You can't just say "Well Fox isn't that great, SURELY someone is better than him" and then sit there in vague ville without a name lol. You don't make a good case for why Fox isn't the best, if the reasoning is basically that it's possible for someone who was buffed or introduced to somehow be better, so therefore he absolutely is not the best. Toss out something, like hey I think Bowser can compete or hey Pit/Sonic/whoever can do it.
I think when all is said and done that once people get good with characters like Fox, we'll find various characters are better. And honestly, from what I've seen, Sheik, Jigglypuff, Peach, and Wolf could have top tier potential, as well as Falco. I'd also have to say Diddy Kong might end up being a dark horse for said spot.

Of course, all of that is assuming the "potential for improvement" I see from the top characters is actually there, which is no guarantee. And of course all of that can change when the next version of the game comes out (which probably won't be for a while considering how much of a giant leap forward this version is).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You don't understand how much Kink loathes Falcon. "Sit there and DD/Nair around til they are dumb enough to get hit", and apparently Luigi has a better plan than Falcon for winning his MU's.

Total sarcasm about the stage. Idr when, but that stage was touted by a few people as quite bad for Spacies.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
marth pretty much gets blown up by DK now

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Total sarcasm about the stage. Idr when, but that stage was touted by a few people as quite bad for Spacies.
it's not very good for spacies. they're better than the average character there for sure, but compared to the effectiveness they're usually granted on most stages, it's a good CP to take them.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
why is sonic not up for discussion? wizzrobe just bodied zenith with sonic. i've been keeping this to myself but i always thought sonic was the new best character. im not gonna straight up give him the top spot but he definitely deserves top 10 at the very least. he runs circles around the whole cast when he's played to his full potential. sure he'll have some bad mu's but im sure everyone will get a bad mu eventually

D

Deleted member

why is sonic not up for discussion? wizzrobe just bodied zenith with sonic. i've been keeping this to myself but i always thought sonic was the new best character. im not gonna straight up give him the top spot but he definitely deserves top 10 at the very least. he runs circles around the whole cast when he's played to his full potential. sure he'll have some bad mu's but im sure everyone will get a bad mu eventually
You're not alone. Almost everybody has issues with 2.5 Sonic.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Sonic is silly.

marth pretty much gets blown up by DK now
Any, good, footage? I personally believe Marth is solid enough in design to not get blown up by a lot of characters. If you're not a better designed character (Falco, Sonic, Fox) or Sheik then I don't see major issues.

KirbyKaze said:
Basically you just wait for him to jump or toss out a panic defence and then you **** him for it.

Depending on the Marth I either try to press them to the edge and control the middle or I play heavily with needles and try to coax Marth into chasing Sheik with his aerials.

In general, taking real estate from Marth is a decent plan. This is because Marth basically needs dash away available as a strong and versatile option (d-tilt is his offense so he has to have enough room to set up dash cancels) or else his only avenue to excel in the first hit game (dash dance abuse) is basically null. From there obey the basics of combat, understanding his shield grab is enormous so tilts and d-smash aren't good vs his shield approach - stick to grabs and aerials with ground moves (namely f-tilt after like 30%) done to prevent him from WDing under your SHs in the same way ICs will WD under you after you sink an aerial into their shield if they predict another SH.

etc...
I cut the rest out. Really what I'm saying is is that if the character isn't "better" or of this archetype^^^ then I don't see Marth having major issues.

If you want to give Marth trouble you have to have some of or all of these traits, or a very unbalanced amount of one: better ground control (dash dance, options out of dash forward and WD forward, projectile), more range and or disjoint, horizontal aerial movement, the ability to remove stage from him, juggle him, or consistent and disproportionally hard punishments on stupid-Marth stuff (Sheik vs. Marth. DK in PM Almost has this imo).

As for everything else, I don't think DK does a good enough job for it to be considered a bad MU for Marth.
He juggles him pretty well but a lot of characters do. I don't see how DK can safely and frequently initiate this advantage over him.

I'm not exactly a fan of Sethlon's Marth either and I'm not saying that blindly. Nothing against him since he's an excellent player in terms of talent but I've been brain washed by the Melee Marth Boards and Umbreon to the point where everyone's Marth looks stupid except for Dr. PPs because I just look at them and see general play style errors (nair in general, converting from neutral with fsmash or decision making that doesn't exactly agree with what I was taught or have conceptualized) and feel like options are being left on the table.

I think 98% of players play the character incorrectly and it's even worse in PM since some Marth's do not come from Melee backgrounds (don't think of this as lol-if-it's-not-melee-it's-not-right, that has nothing to do with this) and they don't read up on all the delicious Melee Marth Board theory. People just kind of do what they want which is fine but I think it misrepresents the character. (Honestly if you haven't read Umbreon's, Cactuar's, and TheCrimsonBlur's Marth stuff you are missing out)

This is my opinion watching little PM DK vs Marth but being pretty well versed in melee-Marth and having played melee-Marth vs DK. I don't feel DK changed enough, yes he's buffed but what did he get to stop Marth?

After watching Eli vs PP it cetainly isn't free but I don't see Marth getiting exploited. I personally do not think PP played especially well but how many DK's has he seen and how many were that good? I am willing to bet Eli is/was better at that MU than PP is since he's the oddity (and he's the PM player).

Not to mention Marth does not need to rely on gimping since he can win based on attrition alone against the characters he can prevent from landing.

As far as percentile goes, Marth is just as good as he was in melee in PM. Maybe minutely worse. There are a few characters, not more than a handful, (Fox, Falco, Sonic, maybe Pitt) that are better by design and then there are a few that just give him a stupidly hard time and have to play less perfect than he does to beat him (Sheik and to a much lesser extent Puff maybe 1 more) and then there is everyone else that Marth either beats or does fine against.

I also have more faith in the character than Umbreon although he shaped my thinking of the character.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I don't understand where Peach got better than Marth. I could write books on Marth, and I will I guess if I need to, so I'd like to hear it

:]
Project m is not as Marth friendly as melee. He is not bad and is still a threat but is hardly as good. Umbreon had good posts why this is.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
dunno about the MU of dk vs marth. probably evenish. all but like 3 marths are bad so it's hard to tell. i have never lost to a marth in this game.

i don't want to talk about sonic because he isn't a smash character.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Marth does a good job of keeping DK out, but once he gets in a decent-good DK will deal heavy damage.

Also, sonic is stupid.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Uh...what?
I was thinking of Dr. PP, PPU and M2k as good Marths. None of which are serious about Project M. PPU I have never seen play it in fact and he is the most dedicated Marth player in melee now. My dedicated I mean uses him in most matches.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I was thinking of Dr. PP, PPU and M2k as good Marths. None of which are serious about Project M. PPU I have never seen play it in fact and he is the most dedicated Marth player in melee now. My dedicated I mean uses him in most matches.

I don't think M2K has ever played marth in PM and I've also never seen PPU play PM. Those certainly weren't the people SB was referring to I'm pretty sure at least aside from PP lol.

D

Deleted member

dk vs marth seems even ish to me. maybe slight dk favor.

i haven't seen jason's marth in person yet but kevin's marth isn't that great in PM for what his skill level would suggest.

D

Deleted member

i have no opinion on it. i can speak comfortably on sheik/marth since i'm excellent at those characters, but that's about it.

you guys seriously overrate marth though.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What do you guys think the most overrated and underrated characters are? I would say Lucas is the most overrated while Ness is the most underrated...ironically enough.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
just one more thing on the DK marth thing.

the ability to reverse Up-B on the ground for DK changes this MU considerably more than anything else.

as for most underrated.... IDK probably DDD or toon link.

overrated, probably charizard

Top Bottom