• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Discussion as Apex's interesting top 8 is over

sman865

Smash Apprentice
the first is what a tier list should be.
This. There needs to be a meta tier list thread or something. Otherwise there can't really be a productive conversation.

Is a tier list...
1. How good characters could possibly be
2. How good characters are considering how difficult to operation they are
3. How well characters place in tournament
4. Anything else, these are just examples

Making it specific will make discussion much more fruitful.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
This. There needs to be a meta tier list thread or something. Otherwise there can't really be a productive conversation.

Is a tier list...
1. How good characters could possibly be
2. How good characters are considering how difficult to operation they are
3. How well characters place in tournament
4. Anything else, these are just examples

Making it specific will make discussion much more fruitful.
the problem is no one can ever agree on what a tier list should encompass

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Another problem is that a lot of theory crafting is involved in a tier list that takes into account a character's total potential. This leads to even more disagreement. Looking at tourney placement is also a poor decision because of legitimate reasons for a subpar performance and sometimes you just aren't playing to full capacity.

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
Another problem is that a lot of theory crafting is involved in a tier list that takes into account a character's total potential. This leads to even more disagreement. Looking at tourney placement is also a poor decision because of legitimate reasons for a subpar performance and sometimes you just aren't playing to full capacity.
guess we just can't have a tier list then huh

honestly, Isai, Boom, and even LD demonstrate Fox as being clearly one of the very best characters in the game. Isai's Fox is what gives him tier 2 IMO, and LD has thoroughly demonstrated that Fox is actually phenomenal on Dream Land. I think looking at the top players for every character is a decent way to craft a tier list.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Why the **** was there a second topic made,loll in all honesty, I like Isai's list outside of switching Jiggs and yoshi

BananaBolts

I think Puff would definitely be moved down a slot if more people played lower tiers. Isn't her Yoshi MU crap for her? If so, the 'recent' influx of good Yoshi's might warrant her getting placed lower than that.

Madao

@ KoRoBeNiKi KoRoBeNiKi , would you mind if I merge these posts into your thread? I should have moved the posts to another thread earlier ;/ .
cause i was bored and wanted double the content ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Please don't do this again.

Sedda

Smash Champion
this is from that grantland article. probably the best description of a tier list ever:

"This is the most astonishing aspect of Smash’s design: Not one line of the cartridge’s code has been altered since 1999, but the community’s decoding continues to change, as game theory and strategic call-and-response expose new weaknesses and strengths. It’s a metagame as rewarding as the action itself, an evolutionary process that keeps an old game eternally new."

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I've messed around with Yoshi vs Puff and it's not as bad for Puff as I thought. She has a drill which helps to tack on damage during super armor. Yoshi's up-tilt isn't good on Puff. As long as I don't shield or get my rests super armored, the MU is fine. Air camping Yoshi is pretty effective too.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Puff can air camp the **** out of Yoshi. But the second she comes down to ground level (if she whiffs the approach) she's in huge trouble.

So yah if Jiggs is patient enough to air camp all match it's a pretty solid match up for her.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Puff can air camp the **** out of Yoshi. But the second she comes down to ground level (if she whiffs the approach) she's in huge trouble.

So yah if Jiggs is patient enough to air camp all match it's a pretty solid match up for her.
This is true, just don't get grounded because Yoshi combos pretty easy with DJC n-air/f-tilt. Fun fact, the only guaranteed follow up for yoshi with up tilt vs Jiggles and then an immediate full double jump up air. You barely have enough hitstun. In other words, one of Yoshi's good options vs. a good amount of aerial characters is nulled.

I personally like the matchup alot but it is pretty difficult. Jiggs in the air is hard to deal with, especially if they know how to deal with Eggs. If they don't it's not that hard as Jiggs can't camp that well.

Also, Jigglypuff's n-air breaks through Yoshi's double jump armor really well for some strange reason. It probably is 55-45/60-40 Yoshi but theory crafters be theory crafing. MattNF, who seemed to avoid some people at Apex, happens to know the matchup quite well but he dislikes it for Jiggles.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Please don't take any theorycrafting from the Smash gods (Except Boom, he knows his stuff)

I don't even know how people that are so good (Jousuke, Isai) can have such little knowledge of the game's theory
This post is just so damn arrogant. Don't know what to say. Maybe you're the one with relatively little knowledge (likely, I'd say) which makes their opinions seem strange to you. But for some reason you assume you're the one who knows better.

Not saying you can't disagree with them, but outright saying they have "little knowledge of the game's theory" is just dumb and arrogant.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
This post is just so damn arrogant. Don't know what to say. Maybe you're the one with relatively little knowledge (likely, I'd say) which makes their opinions seem strange to you. But for some reason you assume you're the one who knows better.

Not saying you can't disagree with them, but outright saying they have "little knowledge of the game's theory" is just dumb and arrogant.

I could keep posting screenshots like this all the day, but why, i don't even care. if i am arrogant i don't even want to think about what is the that post. Combat fire with fire.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

I could keep posting screenshots like this all the day, but why, i don't even care. if i am arrogant i don't even want to think about what is the that post. Combat fire with fire.
I can see your point of view with Isai because there's several things I also disagree with him and think that he could be wrong on (like that post you mention on his views of tournaments and his views on hyrule as a legal stage). However, to say that he's outright bad at all theorycrafting is pushing it.

But I don't see your point with jouske. What makes him so bad at theorycrafting? Because of his tier list? Everyone has differing opinions on that.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

what does that prove? he doesn't care much for tournaments. He still has game knowledge.

Also i think jousuke has shown really extensive matchup knowledge in his streams. like seriously he breaks every portion of a matchup down to every detail

Last edited:

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Yeah sorry i might have pushed it a bit, i am kinda biased lol

EDIT @ Fireblaster Fireblaster Did you see his character complexity chart hahaha?

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
yo

SK made a fireblaster kinda post and then fireblaster made a SK kinda post.

this place is strange

Capos

Smash Apprentice
there's several things I also disagree with him and think that he could be wrong on (like that post you mention on his views of tournaments and his views on hyrule as a legal stage).
Those are legitimate things to disagree with, because they are opinions and have zero to do with the game's theory.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
i say we ask isai, he is definitely one of the most experienced players. im sure he has his own ranking and knows the full potential of all characters

Sedda

Smash Champion
bumping this so that we can actually come up with a tier list before this thread is buried forever. there was some discussion going on here and many people got to share their perspective on certain matchups that will affect the order of the characters most.

maybe @ KoRoBeNiKi KoRoBeNiKi could start a new thread, or just rename this so that people know that any new posts should only include the order of the characters that they think is right and we'll finally have a new tier list maybe by the end of april (?)

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
bumping this so that we can actually come up with a tier list before this thread is buried forever. there was some discussion going on here and many people got to share their perspective on certain matchups that will affect the order of the characters most.

maybe @ KoRoBeNiKi KoRoBeNiKi could start a new thread, or just rename this so that people know that any new posts should only include the order of the characters that they think is right and we'll finally have a new tier list maybe by the end of april (?)
I like this. 10/10 would bump again.
:pikachu64::kirby64::falcon64::yoshi64::fox64::jigglypuff64::mario64::samus64::dk64::link64::ness64::luigi64:

Lets work on this tier list. I like it, who else?

Sedda

Smash Champion
Yeah I guess I should do it too lol.

:pikachu64::kirby64::falcon64::fox64: :yoshi64::jigglypuff64: :mario64::samus64::link64: :dk64::ness64::luigi64:

don't take the spaces too seriously. theyre there to make the thing easier to read

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
If people want a tier list to get done they should make a voting thread with deadlines, a discussion thread with no clear end in sight or creation process won't cause a tier list to magically spawn eventually

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
I like this. 10/10 would bump again.
:pikachu64::kirby64::falcon64::yoshi64::fox64::jigglypuff64::mario64::samus64::dk64::link64::ness64::luigi64:

Lets work on this tier list. I like it, who else?
Looks almost perfect to me, i would swap Luigi and Ness, and, Link and DK... This may be just a matter of preference too

Top Bottom