• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Based On How Well Characters In Smash Emulate Their Canon Appearances.

D

Deleted member

The title is self explanatory. Mr Sakurai is sometimes great at transferring classic characters into a fighting game environment. Others...not so much. Feel free to make your own!

In case you didn't know, "nothing" is for characters with no material whatsoever, and were basically made for Smash through simple references (and sometimes, not even that).
screenshot-ssbworld.com-2019.05.19-17-42-11.png

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The title is self explanatory. Mr Sakurai is sometimes great at transferring classic characters into a fighting game environment. Others...not so much. Feel free to make your own!

In case you didn't know, "nothing" is for characters with no material whatsoever, and were basically made for Smash through simple references (and sometimes, not even that).
View attachment 222255
I'd move Pac-Man, at least, up to c-tier. His punching attacks (jab+possibly up tilt if you stretch it) come from Pac-Man World 3, his up air comes directly from Pac-Man World 2, his neutral special may be based on either the dot toss from World (but with fruit) or the golden fruit from PMW2 (where they were golden, but he used them as power ups), his side special potentially comes from the Pac Dot Chains from the World games, and his moves where he turns into his "pizza missing a slice" form (down tilt, up special, dash attack, down throw, neutral air, side special, Final Smash) come from his dot/ghost eating and running animations.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Wii Fit Trainers moves are all yoga poses. In fact every move in Wii Fit Trainer's arsenal is from her games. She should be S Tier.

I would say the only characters who truly pulled nothing from their source games are Captain Falcon (unless you count him being fast) and the Mii Fighters.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would rank them like this.

S: Perfect representation. Almost every move comes from their games.
A: Most of their moves comes from their game. Only a few are Smash original.
B: Half of their moves come from their games and the other half are original.
C: More than half of their moves are Smash original.
D: Most of their moves are completely original and only a few are actually from their games.
Nothing: Almost nothing about them are from their games. Perhaps one move.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I don't understand why Wolf's default costume is the original purple and pink design. Obviously none of the spacies are super canon with their attacks (considering most of the best games have them confined to their ships), but at least Fox and Falco generally wear something resembling what they had in most of their source-game appearances. His second costume should probably be his default IMO - the brown leather jacket + green accents. That would at least put him one step closer to his 64/Zero/Starlink appearances. I dunno what they were trying to do here, unless they needed him to "pop" more and the brown jacket wouldn't have done that or something.

I know that's nitpicky and kinda inconsequential in terms of being canon, since the "more canon" costume is available at the very least, but it's probably correct to rank him lower than Fox and Falco for those reasons. Just one of those choices that didn't make sense to me. I understand doing some slight modifications to make them look better in Smash over the simple headshots they normally get in Starfox games, but the overhauled design being his default was a bit too much for me. Especially to something so gaudy.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to why mario ranks so low when most of his stuff is from various games and why the Starfox gang ranks so why when Smash originally didn't get stuff from their games. Their games got stuff from Smash.

Also how can you say Mr. Game and Watch doesn't get ANYTHING from his games when all his moves have him turning into the sprites from his various games?

Why is Mario in C Tier, if I may ask? Almost all of his moves are something he's done in a game, and he feels true to form while simultaneously fitting the all-around shtick he was meant to be.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The low ranks of Sonic, Mario, Luigi, and Bowser are a disgrace. They should all be A tier.

D

Deleted member

I'd move Pac-Man, at least, up to c-tier. His punching attacks (jab+possibly up tilt if you stretch it) come from Pac-Man World 3, his up air comes directly from Pac-Man World 2, his neutral special may be based on either the dot toss from World (but with fruit) or the golden fruit from PMW2 (where they were golden, but he used them as power ups), his side special potentially comes from the Pac Dot Chains from the World games, and his moves where he turns into his "pizza missing a slice" form (down tilt, up special, dash attack, down throw, neutral air, side special, Final Smash) come from his dot/ghost eating and running animations.
True. And his "personality" in the PMW games is kinda reflected in Smash (That smile, that damned smile)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The low ranks of Sonic, Mario, Luigi, and Bowser are a disgrace. They should all be A tier.
Well, not Bowser. Sakurai actually does have a bias when it comes to that guy. He thinks Bowser should be a serious threat like in his early appearances, not the semi-sympathetic, cartoony portrayal he has in later games. He's outright said that. Thus, the monster sounds, etc.

Giga Bowser was his compromise for having to use Bowser's Super Mario 64 design as the playable character instead of basing his appearance off of the NES sprite like he wanted to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm curious as to why mario ranks so low when most of his stuff is from various games and why the Starfox gang ranks so why when Smash originally didn't get stuff from their games. Their games got stuff from Smash.

Also how can you say Mr. Game and Watch doesn't get ANYTHING from his games when all his moves have him turning into the sprites from his various games?
Mr Game And Watch is low because he technically isn't really a character from a game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I individually ranked the 64 and Melee veterans here at least. Most of the characters are merely good/very good since they don't really have much to draw from. Only Samus, Fox, and Falco are ambiguously outdated, while Zelda and Ganondorf are unambiguously outdated, and Sheik simply needs to go.

Top Bottom