• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tied for fifth at my first official tournament and I used Zelda every game.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
http://challonge.com/TST2M
There is nothing more satisfying than pwning high tiers with an awful character. F-tilt to bair for days.
Ultimately I was defeated by Sheik and got knocked down to losers by a Ganon player.
I surpassed my own expectations and to be honest I'm surprised I beat that many people considering the two people I beat in losers had experience with my Zelda the week before in friendlies.
What I learned is that people don't know how to play against Zelda despite her obvious flaws.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
...Out of 18 entrants?? Impressive, but not many people showed up and the talent is typical for locals so that was probs easy for you. Not trying to downplay your performance, but relying on pwning scrubs who don't know the MU will only get you so far. Did you get into the winnings at all? And if yes, how much did you make? Just wondering.
It was a $5 entry free and only top 3 get money unfortunately. I'm planning to main a high tier at some point, but right now I'm not particularly good at any of them. Zelda is my best character currently. Yeah I know Zelda is a gimmick character who has limited options, but I only play her to have fun. I'm not delusional enough to think I can win a tournament with her or anything.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
What about Sheik? You can use both characters in the same game lol.
I actually did use Sheik partially in the match vs. the Ganon player but I didn't end up doing any better. I also don't really like playing her that much.
I would much rather play :icsmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee: maybe even :jigglypuffmelee: since Zelda is technically a floaty albeit a very bad one.
I have :ganondorfmelee: as a secondary right now, but I'm not going to use him against a ganon main or a sheik player.
I hate the :ganondorfmelee:and the :sheikmelee:matchup the most. :falconmelee:is also a pretty devastating matchup since one grab=death. I prefer spacies immensely over them. Though :falcomelee: putting shield pressure on you with his shine and lasers is incredibly difficult to dealt with.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Out of the 3 characters you'd rather play, I'd prefer maybe Marth or Falco. Pretty good MU coverage.
Yeah I enjoy playing Marth and Falco.
I even practiced how to pillar with Falco and multishine, jump cancel grab, waveland, etc. but I still am pretty bad at playing him in an actual match considering how easy it is to die with him. I don't really have the drive to get better at him, since it feels awkward for me to play him. Also the skill set that I have developed while playing as Zelda doesn't really translate to playing Falco well.
It would make more sense for me to play :marthmelee:or :jigglypuffmelee:since they are much more floaty characters. Since those characters are very spacing dependent like :zeldamelee:is, it would make more sense for me to play them. The problem is that sometimes I don't really know what to do with Marth in neutral other than to fish for grabs and have defensive fairs or nairs. Then I end up dying to a falcon knee after he grabs me. It would probably be more advantageous for me to play :jigglypuffmelee:since no one plays her in my region and it would help my region grow more. I also enjoy resting people immensely.
To be honest I enjoy crew battles and doubles more than I do singles and that is probably why I want my community to grow so I can have fun in those areas. Unfortunately there were only singles events at that tournament for Smash 4 and melee so next time I'm going to push for my community to have a doubles event. I also think the meta behind doubles and crew are far more interesting.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Crews are pretty hype lol. If your picking between Marth and Puff, i'd prefer if you pick Marth. You'll encounter lots of spacies mains and Marth is better against them.
Yeah Marth is definitely better against spacies than Puff but I honestly really hate Peach and Sheik and Puff is pretty good against both of them. With the exception of PPU, I've never seen Marth played at high level in doubles. Behind Fox I would say Puff is the best character in doubles. And since my aspiration is to play in high level doubles play, I would much rather have a character better suited for doubles.

I mean I could just dual main both Marth and Puff and just have a pocket Zelda to pull out on unsuspecting noobs. However that requires a lot more time to get good at both characters, but not something that particularly daunts me.However if I don't like playing Puff when I try practicing her next week with my community, then I'll switch back to Marth.

By the way what made you want to play Falcon? I honestly just started playing Zelda after I started bodying casuals with her one day in January. It was a character that came to me naturally and I have not regretted playing her at all. Most of what I have learned has been from me playing this character a lot to the point where I could even get a fifth place finish. I have learned some from watching Upke, Cosmo, and TheLake playing the character but not as much as I have from my own experimentation.

My dream is probably to pull a DJ Nintendo and just win with a horrible character after my high tier main got bodied.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
When I first bought the game in 2010, I never heard of the F-Zero series or Captain Falcon and I played Fox (i liked Star Fox, that's why I played him), then when I unlocked Falco, I switched to him. Then I started to get into the game competitively at around 2011-2012. I figured out i'm not technically skilled enough for the spacies, so I switched to Falcon (the only other super fast faller in the game). I got super used to him fast because you can play them similarly movement wise, but Falcon has a little bit more freedom because of his air speed.

The Lake is a boss, here's a set between him and and Mango's Falcon lol. This is when I first heard of The Lake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5MMQiRIGM0

I love DJ Nintendo's play. He can play so many characters at a high level. Here's a typical DJ Nintendo match lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NaIYFnVgY&t=7m41s
Well its good to see that you have good character taste unlike me.

skid_marq

Smash Rookie
Congrats! I'd say playing lots of Zelda taught me a lot about spacing, so that knowledge translated well into my Marth play. Go Marth! These two characters can't approach the neutral game the same way at all though, so keep that in mind.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Short hop double fair too stronkn neutral lol.
Don't tell the people my secret strats! I want to keep owning these noobs.
Here is a video of two people playing against each other from my community both of which I beat in the tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPkmkBKmLn0
Unfortunately this video is from the first Total Smash Time tournament and not the second (I don't think anyone recorded videos from the second tournament) in which I attended but perhaps you can get in some insight on their play on how I managed to beat them with Zelda.
Every time I watch this video, I'm like how did you lose to Zelda. LMAO

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
It's a lack of knowledge of the MU. Here's a set between DJ Nintendo and Unknown522. This is an example of someone who doesn't know a MU versus a low tiered character. DJ cp'd Bowser and came back and won the set because Unknown didn't know the MU. Perhaps he faced the unknown lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NaIYFnVgY
Yeah I've seen that video many times, it's one of the reason why DJNintendo is one of my favorite players.
However at the same time it's Zelda, she's slow and predictable, it's not like you have to do much in order to win the matchup.

Zelda has very limited options, there really isn't anything she can do that should surprise you. She has a non-existent dash dance and a bad wavedash, a punishable recovery, can't really edgeguard to the extent that Bowser can with his ledge attack. Bowser also has much more legitimate options to kill people reliably and set up an edgeguard situation. Bowser also has Up-B out of shield which is much better option out of shield than anything Zelda can do. I mean sure Zelda has Up smash out of shield but that can be Smash DI ed out of which makes it rather bad against smaller characters.
I honestly think Bowser is better than Zelda for these reasons.

The only thing you need to know as Fox vs Zelda is to not run into Zelda's moves since she has no way of catching up to you and that Up throw Up air doesn't work on her. And I guess how to DI her throws and smash DI her multi hit moves. There really isn't any more matchup knowledge to learn in all honesty. People in my opinion should not be caught off guard by my Zelda. I mean beating Zelda really isn't hard.

Top Bottom