• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

thunders alternative?

Animal

Smash Lord
While i was playing the other day i tried to get creative and instead of doing a thunders combo i wavedashed to a dtilt and just popped him up. Now and days people are finding ways to get out of the reset with smash DI and whatnot. Do you think this is a bad option?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
There are lot's of interesting things you can try. Drilling is good to reset if you don't want to jab because it may bring them back to the ground if they SDI up to pop out of the jab.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
they can buffer a get up attack and roll at ridiculously low percents if you drill tho, or from what ive seen at least

i like upsmash/dtilt as options, ive gotten fsmash before too

jugfingers

Smash Champion
best is shine -wavedash dash to shine upsmash to nair bair combos

lately i've just been practicing drillshine thunders-uair-drillshine thunders uiar drill shine thunders uair etc

im waiting for someone to be able to shine turn around utilt on space animals.

they can buffer a get up attack and roll at ridiculously low percents if you drill tho, or from what ive seen at least

i like upsmash/dtilt as options, ive gotten fsmash before too

just drill into a shield then usmashoos their get up attack lol

Animal

Smash Lord
well yes that is what i do after i thunders depending on percentage, but again dont want to be predictable, mayb 2 high of a percentage to thunders? idk just a thought.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
nair the tech in place option. if you nair past the shield, you can l cancle and turn around grab from behind. if you space on the shield, you can shine after nair for shield pressure into jc grab or jc nair shines. if they roll you have time to read thier reposition.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I keep it simple,

Charge upsmash, or CG.

Though to falco if I COULD double shine I would thunders into thunders into double shine, shinespike.

Courtesy of Jman obviously

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Thunders combo, Shine on Fox or Falco, WD out of it then jab reset.

basically shine-->jab reset

Normally people follow it up with a usmash, SHFFL'd uair, or a uthrow.

Lovage

Smash Hero
after a waveshine u can just run around and techchase where they roll

but thunders is still pretty good, especially at low percent (0-20) btw when you get the jab reset, its almost always better to go for a charged usmash or a grab instead of that falling uair stuff

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't u-tilt work decently for combo aspect or would it just be better to u-smash/grab and try to combo out of that. im just saying as maybe a mix up, i dont know

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Wouldn't u-tilt work decently for combo aspect or would it just be better to u-smash/grab and try to combo out of that. im just saying as maybe a mix up, i dont know
We're still talking about alternatives to jab here, right? If you shine someone and ground them, there is no way you can land utilt unless you have a lot of momentum (i.e. running shine). Utilt could work but its not practical if we're discussing "reliable" alternatives.

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
We're still talking about alternatives to jab here, right? If you shine someone and ground them, there is no way you can land utilt unless you have a lot of momentum (i.e. running shine). Utilt could work but its not practical if we're discussing "reliable" alternatives.
I was thinking after the jab, but like i said i think a grab would be better, however utlit could be better than usmash at lower percentages

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
thunders into reverse utilt into grab into ****

thunders into dtilt nair regrab

thunders into STAND and read their reaction for easy grab or punish of choice

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, not entirely sure. If they get hit by drill and start to hold down during the hit, when they get hit by the shine will it be crouch canceled?

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
^ I think shine has a set knockback so if they cc wouldn't it not matter(i could be wrong) but if they fall down from shine they might be able to. IDK

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
^ I think shine has a set knockback so if they cc wouldn't it not matter(i could be wrong) but if they fall down from shine they might be able to. IDK
If they cc the shine in general they won't fall. I'm just curious if you can change your DI to a crouch cancel while getting drilled so you don't get knocked down. Or maybe even getting knocked down and teching the shine is the best escape method. That is, short of SDI'ing the drill away to escape the shine altogether.

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
If they cc the shine in general they won't fall. I'm just curious if you can change your DI to a crouch cancel while getting drilled so you don't get knocked down. Or maybe even getting knocked down and teching the shine is the best escape method. That is, short of SDI'ing the drill away to escape the shine altogether.
SDI'ing the drill is your best bet. and ccing it i would think would get you in the shine and then they can do what ever(JC grab would be pretty bad).

On another note i tried to thuinders a jigggs, ya never do this he just cc'd and rested me, can they do this every time?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
SDI'ing the drill is your best bet. and ccing it i would think would get you in the shine and then they can do what ever(JC grab would be pretty bad).

On another note i tried to thuinders a jigggs, ya never do this he just cc'd and rested me, can they do this every time?
I don't think it's possible to CC a thunders, so odds are you didn't thunders properly. Remember thunders only works for miss tech situations. you can't cc in that position.

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's possible to CC a thunders, so odds are you didn't thunders properly. Remember thunders only works for miss tech situations. you can't cc in that position.
ya, they are on the ground after shine and you jab 'em i think i may have wiffed the L-cancel though so i didn't get my shine, but thunders starts with dair and thats what he CC'd.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman

I aware of how to get out of the drill. Most players however are either expecting you to miss the tech so they can thunders you, or respond to a tech off the shine so they can chase you, not for you to CC the shine. It does leave you vulnerable, but they have to respond to that.

Top Bottom