• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Throw, Active, and Recovery Frame Data (Update: Cloud)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm human; I make mistakes. If I've made any, please feel free to point them out. In some cases, it's just not understanding a move clearly like Pikachu's Thunder being a projectile that generates at frame 2, but doesn't actually hit until frame 13 with the cloud or 16 with the lightning and the existence of a "melee" hitbox if it strikes Pikachu. In other cases, I had to make due with the resources given to me which explains why some moves are missing (parts of) data.

Link to throw data spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DOAQtPL8f7VhPtwCw5BQ4dRpz6H0GgyOygtcmCC7cqg/edit?usp=sharing. Note: DK has his own page because of his cargo throw options, the parentheses after pummels are their recovery frames which is how sixriver's frame data compilation did it for most characters, the parentheses after Falco, Fox, Mewtwo, and Mii Gunner's throws are the projectile parts of their throws, and Ryu's parentheses after his U-throw is, assuming, a collateral hitbox that probably only happens if another, 3rd player is involved and gets kicked by his heel drop. Also, without any damage, knockback, hit angle, etc. to give context, this spreadsheet is just pure numbers for startup and total frames which, to my knowledge, is missing. Unfortunately, Mii Fighters lack pummel total frames which also leads to a lack of pummel recovery frames.

Link to recovery frames spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RvlskKEDqxr8/edit?pli=1#gid=614385989&vpid=A1. Note: similar to DK's situation for throw data, DK and Ryu have their own pages because of their more available options, throws with projectiles have or to denote worst case and best case scenarios except for Fox because of his lack of hit stun on his lasers, default or customs. For convenience, multi-hits only involve their last hit's last active frame whether they have notable gaps or not since hit stun would likely prevent any interruptions and challenging active hitboxes even with notable gaps such as front to back Down Smashes isn't an easy task. Projectiles are treated as having only 1 active frame as despite there being active frames, worst case scenario is they're not going to hit, so it's best to know the commitment to using them. As with a lack of pummel total frames for Mii Fighters, their Specials are also incomplete.

Update: Active frames... Basically an easier way to read hit frames. Well, for me it is; it's easier to read say, Falco's Ftilt has 3 active frames than looking at 6-8 and knowing that it hits on frames 6, 7, and 8. For smaller active frames, it's not really a big deal, but higher ones like say, a move hits on frames 28-63, it becomes weird for me. Link to the active frames spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nvX3N6ge5bpoM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=614385989. Notes: most of it's straightforward, but you'll notice some things like 1*1 or 1 (7) 1. Those are multi-hit moves. For moves with the asterisk, *, that means there isn't a notable gap between them, which I set to 4, but I might up it to 5 since there are a lot of moves with 5 frame gaps... Ellipses, ..., are there to show a repeating pattern and because I got lazy... Anyway, if there's parentheses with a number inside of them, then that's showing there's a notable gap. Big examples of these are hit front and hit back Down Smashes like Mario's. Also, some Specials aren't listed because they're lacking data and some are weird like Cloud's Climhazzard and other moves that can continue indefinitely - explains why you can and will SD with Shulk's Back Slash off-stage. As for parentheses with words... Self-explanatory.

Also, simple terms and equations:
Startup: includes the first active frame and is the time in frames a move takes to become active. Simply, it's how fast a move comes out.

Active: when a move's hitbox is active and in the amount of frames. Basically the same thing as hit frames.

Active frames can be computed by: taking the last active frame and subtracting it with the startup and adding 1 since startup counts as being the initial active frame, so last active - startup + 1.

Recovery: the time in frames after startup, active frame before a free action can be taken. Recovery frames also give numbers in frames to explain why a move has such and such "cooldown", "end lag", etc., e.g. giving a number, 18, to Ganondorf's Up Smash, explaining why he can act so quickly. Similar to the throw data spreadsheet, only recovery frames are listed meaning startup, total frames, damage, knockback, etc., are not there since those numbers are readily available.

Recovery frames can be computed by: total frames - startup - active frames + 1 or IASA or FAF - startup - active frames. If the last active frame is known, then total frames - last active frame + 1 or IASA or FAF - last active frame.

Total frames: the total frames of a move's animation. IASA and FAF are just total frames + 1.

Total frames can be computed by: startup + active frames + recovery frames - 1. IASA or FAF can be computed by: startup + active frames + recovery frames.

Sources: total frames for throw and pummels and landing frames for Specials, from sixriver's frame data compilation: http://sixriver.web.fc2.com/ssb4/Character_data.htm. Yes, I used Google translate and memorized the layout to find my way e.g. throw data is at the bottom of the first page for all characters. Recovery frames can be computed from sixriver's compilation or other frame data such as parsing through @Dantarion's Master Core filled with raw data, @KuroganeHammer's frame data site, or searching about on Smashboards's character boards for frame data made by users such as @Indigo Jeans, @Tuen, @Big O, @BJN39, @Raziek, and more that I don't remember.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
A note: a lot of throw animation lengths are weight dependent. In a couple weeks I plan to map out Mega's throws based on opponent weight (since dthrow>BAir is a thing, but can be annoying to get frame tight because buffering), so I can throw that data up here when I get it. I don't plan on doing the entire cast though, but it should provide a window into how weight dependent throws work.

I miss you ice climbers.

Top Bottom