• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thread to discuss next few games (Normal Semi-Open setup + B Game)

What do you prefer?

• Open Setup out of one of your five choices

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Semi-Open Setup that you make

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Hi everybody - Thank you for your patience and cooperation. I've made this thread in order to discuss any things about the reboot game, just so that we can make sure it runs smoothly, and discussing what will be up for the summer of DGames.

"Why the poll?"

So there's a few Semi-Open setups... I don't like any of them. I'm very picky. So I'm giving you all an option with the poll:
1) giraffelasergun giraffelasergun and I host one of these:
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=White_Flag_(Open_Setup)
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Black_Flag_Nightless
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Jungle_Republic
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Friends_and_Enemies:_Deadly_Alliance
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mafia_12Q
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Haunted_Village (Might be a bit too wild)
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Mini_Setups < Anything else here that you guys like is on the menu.

2) A Semi-Open setup that giraffelasergun giraffelasergun and I make:

This'll take a lot of time to set up and balance properly, but It'll likely be a modified one of the game you guys played before.

"Why two games"

Let me ease concerns of anyone that's concerned
1) If the Semi-Open game is going poorly, I'm not going to start a new one. Discussion begins and ends there.
2) The other game is aimed more at new people to come in and for old veterans that want something a little more... crazy/casual. So, if you don't want to join it, you can ignore the craziness
3) If someone say, dies in the B. Game early, then they can replace for the Semi-Open, or if they die in the Semi-Open early they can join the B. Game

Semi-Open Setup:

A Semi-Open setup that is a reunion of previous DGamers. Kick back, relax, and enjoy our Summer Bash (Reboot)!

Player Size: 10-13 (13 is the absolute max, and we better have willing replacements if we see that number)
Setup Balance: Normal; Open or Semi-Open
Flavor: If Flavor is present, it'll only be for entertainment purposes
Signups Start: Later this week
Game starts: Monday July 1st or Tuesday July 2nd.
Host(s): Giraffel, Thirdkoopa

Video Game Mafia II:

Over one-thousand days since this realm was used before. This realm was locked out for the Master's last Mafia game... until a couple of people decided to open this realm to mystery and wonder back again. What could happen?

Shifty hosted in this world, but he was done. Forever. He wanted nothing left to do with Mafia. It was time for a new controller of Mindscrew. All conflict this time needs a reason, but this time, well, our new booking host would love to tell you, but it seems that someone has stolen the rules

"Let's begin. Shall we?"

Player Size: 7-11
Setup Balance: *******
Flavor: video games?
Signups Start: When the game is ready (July 10th at earliest)
Game starts: Middle of July
Host(s): Thirdkoopa?
Rules: The first rule is that I can not tell you any of the other rules.
(I did make two promises that I'll discuss when signups start for this.)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
**** power roles let's just have day play

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
im not a fan of most of these setups honestly. can we just do a closed or semi open thats

- 9-10 townies vs 3 scum
- has some power roles, but not excessively so
- not experimental, not multiball, no sk, just town vs mafia

i feel like most of the playerbase just wants to play a fairly reliable/simple game where the focus is on dayplay

ALTERNATIVELY the following is cool and meets the above criteria. i think we hav a winner if ppl dont care to go thru all the potential setups in there or yield to an unknown closed setup. pick your poison which ive ran before and was enjoyed by the players

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Pick_Your_Poison

for ppl who are too lazy to click here are the mechanics

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i dont really mind what we play honestly just something

more choosy people can decide

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
i feel like theres room to give mafia some power in the above pick your poison setup but thats potentially charting closed setup territory

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I don't mind either as long as we get dayplay but not a fan of pick your poison tbh

cuz then I gotta scumhunt based on people picking roles and then memories haunt me about gheb pushing me for stuff I don't give a **** about because I just wanna scum hunt and not focus on roles man

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
cuz then I gotta scumhunt based on people picking roles and then memories haunt me about gheb pushing me for stuff I don't give a **** about because I just wanna scum hunt and not focus on roles man
what do you mean by this?

in the above setup scum choose the roles that town gets. town does not choose anything for scum. i think youre conflating the other variant of pick your poison (where the town gives scum roles) with this one when theyre different

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
oh I see. Well if we don't have to discuss roles (as town) then yeah I don't care then it's fine

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I still like white flag tho it's basically just day play

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
i dont think white flag is bad but i also feel since like most of the playerbase for this game will b old school ppl, we should do an old school type setup where its something we were used to. most of our games were "vanilla townies, a few town prs, and a scumteam with a bit of power. more skilled team wins." we never played white flag. i feel like with so many of us revisiting the game after such a long time there should b some power to help us piece things together. putting a bunch of ppl who havent played in a hot minute into a mountainous game is too much

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I like everything about the pick your poison setup except for the aspect that it's 13 players lol

(As you can imagine, I'm wary after last game, but I also wasn't that active in the thread)
lmao

i mean i still dunno who will play in the game. me, ran, soup, ryker seem to b the definites but i kno others have expressed interest like fandangox

maybe it makes the most sense to see how many people want to play then go from there

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm also down to hydra if anyone wants to, as hydraing is fun. Don't get this chance often.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Dooplissity Dooplissity pointed this out to me but instead of having two Mafia games possibly going on at similar times, I'd delay the B. Game if Paranoia got enough sign-ups - Check it out; going to try giving it some plugs.

Open (or semi) setup is still around either way, so nobody needs to worry about that.
I’ll play if Tom and Mac play hehe
well

i think mac will

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Suggestion:

This game may contain power roles- roles with additional abilites beyond those of normal players. However, this is a semi-open setup, and as such you know only the following details about the setup: There may not be any power roles in this game whatsoever. However, if any power roles do exist, they will be limited to the following:

POWER ROLES & ABILITIES said:
1-shot Vigilante - Vigilante Kill: One time only, during a night phase, you may PM me the command ‘Vigilante Kill: PlayerZ’ and you will take that player down! That player will die unless something prevents it. You can use this ability only once throughout the game!

Bodyguard - Bodyguard: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Bodyguard: PlayerZ’ and you will defend that player with your life; if they are targeted by any kill actions that night you will die in their place.

Jailer - Jail: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Jail: PlayerZ’ and you will keep that player out of mischief for the night. That player will be unable to use any abilities they may have BUT will be protected from any kill actions.

Roleblocker - Roleblock: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Roleblock: PlayerZ’ and you will mess with all that player’s plans for the night- that player will be unable to use any abilities they may have.

Tracker - Track: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Track: PlayerZ’ and you follow that player around for the night. If that player visits another player you will find out who they visited. If that player does not visit anyone, or if you are prevented from using your ability, you will not receive a result. You will receive any results via PM at the start of the following Day.

Universal Backup Once during the game, if a player of your alignment with a usable power role dies, you will inherit their power and I will PM you a new ability. You have no choice in this matter! You will inherit this ability as the game changes from Day/Night or vice versa. You do not inherit power roles with no abilities remaining.

Any ability that can be used on another player does not have to be used, and cannot be used on yourself. Using an ability on another player means you visit the player you target, though your target will not be informed of this.
No power roles other than these exist in this game. In addition, in this setup there is at most one of any given power role; it is not possible for two players to have the same power role, regardless of their alignments. Finally, any of these power roles may be of either alignment, and no player will have more than one power role.

• If you are mafia aligned, you may use your night kill alongside any other ability you may have; you are allowed to use both abilities in a given Night phase, and they will resolve separately.
  • Night actions resolve in this order: Roleblock > Jail> Bodyguard> Vigilante Kill & Mafia Kill> Track.
  • All night kill actions resolve simultaneously; if you send a night kill action it will resolve regardless of whether you are targeted with a kill action.
  • If you are roleblocked you will be treated as though you did not use any ability you may have; you will not count as visiting, and will not expend any 1-shot abilities.
  • If you track a player who dies that same night, you will still receive a result.

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
btw i saw this role recently and want to put it here for possible use:

bleeder: you are the town bleeder. if youre targeted to b killed, you will survive the night you were shot. however, at the beginning of the next day phase, it will b announced publicly that you were shot. you will die at the end of the following day phase. so if you were shot n1, you will die at the end of d2

its a nice spin on innocent child. it gives the nightkill a little more time to play without being overdone. you could even do a role like:

you are the town [idk a name rn]. once per game, you may target x. if x ever gets targeted for a kill, they will instead bleed out and die at the end of the next day phase.

btw i like karys roles. ima think on any other possible roles. i also want to say that there should b a limit on hydras. honestly there should b none outside of jexs/spak (used in case jexs goes inactive) i think? or maybe 1-3? idk otherwise i might pair with frozen but on the other hand theyre kind of annoying/a pain in the ass to deal with

also idk if yall still want 6 day phases. i thought it was fine in the last game when ppl were active

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Personally I'd prefer shorter day phases, the longer phases led to some refusals to HBC when needed. Particularly on my slot. I'm glad that we were able to push through that and get back to talking about multiple slots, but it was an issue.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Maybe 4 day phases 1 or 2 day night? It felt like people just started arguing in circles on day 2 because there was the time to do it.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
btw i saw this role recently and want to put it here for possible use:

bleeder: you are the town bleeder. if youre targeted to b killed, you will survive the night you were shot. however, at the beginning of the next day phase, it will b announced publicly that you were shot. you will die at the end of the following day phase. so if you were shot n1, you will die at the end of d2

its a nice spin on innocent child. it gives the nightkill a little more time to play without being overdone. you could even do a role like:

you are the town [idk a name rn]. once per game, you may target x. if x ever gets targeted for a kill, they will instead bleed out and die at the end of the next day phase.

Welcome aboard Tranquility, Playername!

You are Guinn Smith, Town Tough Bodyguard

You're a good friend of Jack Winter and the two of you often enjoy a drink together. You admire his career as an athlete, being a keen amateur boxer yourself, and are glad to see him doing well for himself.

Bodyguard: Once each night, you may message me the name of a player. You will visit that player, and any killing action that would target them will hit you instead.

Tough: If you are hit by any killing action, you will survive an additional 48 hours before dying. You will be notified if this ability triggers.

You're town-aligned, and you win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Maybe 4 day phases 1 or 2 day night? It felt like people just started arguing in circles on day 2 because there was the time to do it.
Opinion: people started arguing in circles because of other player's inactivity. There were not enough people talking or voting.

Personally, I prefer longer deadlines. Part of this is to do with timezone troubles.

Also, as an idea, you can start with a longer deadline and decrease it for each subsequent Day phase.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
would love to play in a game thats 13 players or less with 3 day deadlines

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
not fine with shorter phases if we got **** like work to do

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I feel like the day phase length should be voted on by the player list because then it's on us and If we are mostly busy and ask for 3 day deadline then it's on us

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tbh I’ll play the remake no matter what. I like less PR because then it isn’t a logic puzzle, but whatevs

Pyp looks nice

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tend to prefer having some power roles in games because it gives something concrete to act on. You can catch people in lies, make gambits, etc etc.
Some is good, I guess I’m thinking about epic mafia, when last I played it seemed everyone was some sort of a pr, and it wasn’t as fun

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
right now i would say just go for pick your poison. but for fun

i compiled some roles that i personally consider not completely terrible for the sake of brainstorming. like i wouldnt b mad if we did a closed setup and it had some of these roles in it

right now i think pick your poison is fine with the listed roles in my first post. however one idea is to put a 1 or 2 shot vanilla cop for scum maybe. but its more than fine without it

it was fun thinking back to some of these roles and kinda made me want to mod again. keep in mind a lot of these roles can b switched between town/mafia at mods discretion so town cant just clear ppl and mafia have some wiggle room for a fakeclaim if they feel like taking a risk

1-shot Vigilante - Vigilante Kill: One time only, during a night phase, you may PM me the command ‘Vigilante Kill: PlayerZ’ and you will take that player down! That player will die unless something prevents it. You can use this ability only once throughout the game!

Jailer - Jail: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Jail: PlayerZ’ and you will keep that player out of mischief for the night. That player will be unable to use any abilities they may have BUT will be protected from any kill actions.

Roleblocker - Roleblock: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Roleblock: PlayerZ’ and you will mess with all that player’s plans for the night- that player will be unable to use any abilities they may have.

Tracker - Track: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Track: PlayerZ’ and you follow that player around for the night. If that player visits another player you will find out who they visited. If that player does not visit anyone, or if you are prevented from using your ability, you will not receive a result. You will receive any results via PM at the start of the following Day.

Rolecop - Rolecop: Once per night you may PM me the command 'Rolecop: PlayerZ.' If successful, you will learn that player's role.

Jack-of-All-Trades - Cop/Doc/Vig: Each night, you may use one of the aforementioned role abilities. You may not use the same power until you have cycled through all 3.

Note: In a more creative setup, you could replace the powers with other abilities. But those 3 as a standard is a nice start.

Bodyguard - Bodyguard: Once per night you may PM me the command ‘Bodyguard: PlayerZ’ and you will defend that player with your life; if they are targeted by any kill actions that night you will die in their place.

Strongman - Once during the game, you may carry out the mafia nightkill with the strongman modifier. This means that your nightkill will go through no matter what.

Doctor - Pick a player, if successful they will be protected from a single nightkill the night you target them.

Universal Backup Once during the game, if a player of your alignment with a usable power role dies, you will inherit their power and I will PM you a new ability. You have no choice in this matter! You will inherit this ability as the game changes from Day/Night or vice versa. You do not inherit power roles with no abilities remaining.

Note: What I don't like about this role is that if mafia skillfully take out a power role N1, they have to contend with it anyway simply because the mod said 'lol i want this in.' still, though, its nice insurance if you want to give power roles a second chance. can be given to scum

1-shot Cop - Cop: Once during the night, you may PM me the command 'Cop: X.' If successful, you will learn that players' alignment. Your result is mod-confirmed to be accurate in all situations.

Note: I've softened on cops being unacceptable in all cases. I think a one shot is okay sometimes, but I prefer the following:

Oracle - Oracle: Once during the night, you may PM me the command 'Oracle: X.' If successful, their alignment will be revealed publicly only once you die.

Note: Can add a "You may change the oracle if they die first" or limit them to one choice, mod's discretion. This is a nice alternative to 1-shot cop because it still grants the clearing mechanic, but mafia doesn't have to contend with TWO clears in a cop and their innocent being alive. But if an oracle claims during the day that could cause problems.

Voyeur - Voyeur: Each night, you may PM me the command 'Voyeur: X.' If successful, you will learn what type of role abilities were used on the target. For example, a cop and doctor visiting your target would give you the results of 'investigative' and 'protective' respectively.

Vanilla Cop: - Each night, you may PM me the command 'Cop: X.' If successful, you will learn if the player has a power role or not. Vanillas and mafia goons come up as 'vanilla' while any and all power roles come up as 'power.'

Note: This is a nice spin on the rolecop. It's a little less powerful and it gives them less information, but still good information. So if the mafia has a strong power role read on player X, but their vanilla cop finds that player Y also has a power role, then they have to make an interesting decision between potentially killing, say, a confirmed doctor versus a suspected cop. This role is a lot of fun and one of my favorites, can be given to town players as well along with some of the other power roles listed above.

Barista - Each night, you may PM me the command 'Barista: X.' If successful, that player will be able to post during the night phase.

Note: A fun little role you can throw into almost any setup without it impacting things too powerfully, but still fun to see in use. Can be given to scum as well for WIFOM fun. Strongly recommend, it's a fun role that doesn't impact balance too much.

Bleeder - you are the town bleeder. if youre targeted to b killed, you will survive the night you were shot. however, at the beginning of the next day phase, it will b announced publicly that you were shot. you will die at the end of the following day phase. so if you were shot n1, you will die at the end of d2

Tough Bodyguard - you are the town bodyguard. once per game, you may target x. if x ever gets targeted for a kill, they will instead bleed out and die at the end of the next day phase.

Innocent Child - You are the Town Innocent Child. Once per game, you may send me the action of Reveal Myself. If successful, I will publicly mod declare you as Town during the day phase.

Note: This is probably the 'safest' to go with between cop, oracle, and this of the 3 'confirm another player's alignment' role. Why? Because it only confirms ONE player. A cop confirms two (usually), and the oracle has a chance to claim before he dies. So this being randomized takes out all the guesswork and choice on town's part.

Gunsmith - During any night, you may PM me the name of a player you want to build a rifle for. They will receive it and be able to use it at the start of the next night. You may only use this power once per game.

Note: This can be fun, gives town some kill power and forces the gunsmith to make the decision of 'do i want to go for it n1, or wait to strengthen my reads to ensure a townie gets it?'

Doublevoter - Your vote counts for two. It will show up as you twice on the votecount.

Note: A variant is having a 'hidden' second vote where it always appears on votecounts and the doublevoter can move it about freely. Gives scum something to rolehunt.

Vanillaizer - PM me the action "Vanillaize X." If successful, that player will no longer be able to use their power role.

Note: A very nice power for scum that gives them a nice way of dealing with power roles without having to nightkill them, also punishes town for being too loose with claiming power roles.

Messenger - PM me up to 500 characters and the player of your choice. At the end of the night phase, they will be given your message. You may not fake mod communication via the message.

Note: Can do a variant where if a person dies, their notes get posted to the thread instead. Same lines as Barista, fun to throw into almost any setup and will not jack things up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom