• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on what to Lab on Day 1

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
HEY IC MAINS NEW AND OLD!

I'm making a thread to compile some thoughts on where to look first to really exploit the character. Back in the day, I was pretty big on Brawl IC Research (see my resume) with a lot of that due to having quite a bit of drive, dedication, and down time. Since I undoubtedly will have less of all three this time around, I thought I'd jot down some notes on what I'll be looking for on Day 1 to try to push the character to their Brawl Glory.

Sync Mechanics -
How many IGU's before Nana is considered in synced range for:
- Separated to Synced
- Squall Hammer Recovery
- Belay Range
- Desynced options
How option selection works when going from separated to synced, can you buffer various options?
Can any of the buffer desyncs still work that only like three ICs every tried/used?

Belay Recovery-
What are the FAF for each Climber after both snap to the ledge. Are there any gimmicks that can be had?
How bad is ledge trumping going to affect us?
Did they fix the Belay OOS nonsense so it can be a viable OOS option?

I wonder if there are any split stick desyncs/bidous esque options?

Also, Dibs on the double blue ICs, thanks :)

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Dthrow upair, how reliable it is for damage, kill setup and if there is escapes!
Blizzard freeze properties, blizzard footstool blizzard?!

Last edited:

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Underlying desync-related stuff to examine
- Differences in Nana's frame delay in different states
- Weird stuff that happens when you stack state changes (a la hylian desync)
- How moves work where Nana doesn't mirror Popo

It will be really important to understand underlying mechanics relevant to desyncs in order to develop the desync meta as quickly as possible, so I will probably focus on that really hard at the start. We figured out turnaround desync way too late in Brawl.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I wonder if we have viable rufio combos via increased hit stun and any sort of hit lag desyncs. I remember theoretically being able to do really stupid stuff like uair > hit lag desync due to 1 frame difference because of differences in damage > Nana dj uair > popo dj belay, but never explored it really far since the chain grab was a thing and it wasnt worth the risk.

Might be worth it now if we are hurting for kill options

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'm curious when Down B starts freezing opponents. The frozen effect was knockback based in the last game I believe, and the move looks like it has good damage on its own when both icies are together. The range may also be great enough to cover ledge options as well.

Top Bottom