• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Using More Than One Controller?

Which controller do you use?

• GameCube Controller

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • "Dog Controller"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dual Joycons

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Single Joycon

• Switch Pro (Wireless)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Switch Pro (Wired)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Handheld Mode

• Total voters

Doobber

Smash Rookie
So, I've been wondering if anyone feels the same about this. I prefer the GameCube controller all the time, but since I bring my Switch around with me often, I use the Joycons Grip, or the "Dog Controller" if you will. I've been fearing that if I play so much with the Dog Controller, that I will hinder my development on using the GameCube controller the next time I pick it up. I don't believe my character development and overall skill will be destroyed, but if I pick up a controller I haven't used in a hot minute, it might seem like I'm playing the game again for the first time. Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone feels about this the same way I do.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I think you should play on one controller for consistency and muscle memory’s sake. I don’t play Smash in handheld mode I usually just play other games because I can’t stand using the joycons. I don’t think it will severely damage your playing but it could cause a slip up here and there. I definitely would stick to one controller

Last edited:

Doobber

Smash Rookie
I think you should play on one controller for consistency and muscle memory’s sake. I don’t play Smash in handheld mode I usually just play other games because I can’t stand using the joycons. I don’t think it will severely damage your playing but it could cause a slip up here and there. I definitely would stick to one controller
I like your muscle memory reasoning, but would you ever be opposed to the idea of mastering two controllers? If possible, can you think of any notable top-level players that use multiple controllers? I know Noble Sol uses the Pro Controller for 4, but I don't know if he ever uses a GameCube controller

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I like your muscle memory reasoning, but would you ever be opposed to the idea of mastering two controllers? If possible, can you think of any notable top-level players that use multiple controllers? I know Noble Sol uses the Pro Controller for 4, but I don't know if he ever uses a GameCube controller
There are a lot of Pros that use the Pro Controller, more now than ever I think actually, it’s completely viable. I don’t know of any that use both though. However I think sticking to mastering one controller is the way to go. It’s far more optimal and again it builds muscle memory. You could feasibly try and master two controllers but that takes away the time you could be putting into one controller and developing better muscle memory with it

I know I feel completely out of place on the Pro Controller and if I was to switch to it I’d have to solely use it and stop using my GC controllers. I just don’t see a reason to try and master both

Last edited:

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
I happen to own multiple GCC’s and my hands are apt to these since I’ve played since melee and I also own 2 pro controllers. The adapter used for GCC causes it to have a little more input lag compared to the pro but as I’ve used the same exact GCC for so long theirs no point in me switching. One thing to point out is the way the controllers pads are layed out, the analog stick and C-stick on the GCC have the octagonal gate and the sticks are like notched so you won’t mess up as much during up-airs or side-airs etc. It’s a big change from the pro controllers where it’s just a free circle gate, hard to get use to. That being said the pro controller is really good, a little big for my hands personally but overall if your serious about smash just learn the GCC and stick with it. As long as you purely don’t play in handheld mode you shouldn’t have an issue.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I solely used the Wii U Pro Controller for Smash 4 after years of GC controller. At the time the GC adapter was impossible to find so I just learned the new controller. I swapped back to the GC controller because I didn’t like the Switch Pro Controller. If need be I could probably go back to the Wii U controller I f it were made available for the Switch.

There were plenty of players who did extremely well using a Wiimote and Nunchuk. They’ve all been forced to adapt to something else now, so I think it’s very possible.

But the question is - why do it? Assuming the OEM GC controllers are going to remain a limited run. Say if Ultimate sticks around for many years, if you don’t want to drop 75% of your paycheck into a new one from a scalper on ebay, or risk it with a dicey 3rd party one, a quality OEM controller that is easier to find is probably at a store near you. That’s the only feasible reason I could foresee why you’d want to get used to a different controller now - you won’t need as much time to adapt when the inevitable occurs. But I wouldn’t see a reason to just do it for the hell of it, unless you don’t like to take your own controller out with you or have something impromptu occur where you only have someone else’s controller to use. Just my 2¢.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I use the pro controller because the GC controller + adaptor is super clunky.

Took ages to get used to it but very worth it for the convenience. I would advise picking one controller and going from there, muscle memory is really annoying unless you swap very often.

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I use the pro Controller. It’s more ergonomic than the Gamecube one and since ultimate is my first smash i have myself the switch was pretty easy for me. I dont care about the 14 percent chance of having 1 frame delay.

Advantage: you can take a pro Controller everywhere you go and don’t have to mess with joycons (assuming you can use tabletop mode).

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I own GCC adapters with 2 GCCs, but I stick to Pro because of the digital shoulders and comfy button and C-stick locations. After a year and a half of grinding on 3DS controls, the Pro has served me well so far and saves me the trouble of dealing with building half-presses, button locations, or the awkward C-stick position into the muscle memory.

Just remember the most important skill: taking responsibility for your controller and making sure it disconnects from any set-ups you use.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
For all Switch games (except Super Mario Party), I will exclusively use a pro controller, whether docked or undocked. Handheld mode just doesn't feel good, and is pretty much just a worse Wii U Gamepad. Also, dual joycon controls just don't work for any game except Odyssey.

Doobber

Smash Rookie
I happen to own multiple GCC’s and my hands are apt to these since I’ve played since melee and I also own 2 pro controllers. The adapter used for GCC causes it to have a little more input lag compared to the pro but as I’ve used the same exact GCC for so long theirs no point in me switching. One thing to point out is the way the controllers pads are layed out, the analog stick and C-stick on the GCC have the octagonal gate and the sticks are like notched so you won’t mess up as much during up-airs or side-airs etc. It’s a big change from the pro controllers where it’s just a free circle gate, hard to get use to. That being said the pro controller is really good, a little big for my hands personally but overall if your serious about smash just learn the GCC and stick with it. As long as you purely don’t play in handheld mode you shouldn’t have an issue.
Ah, man! I totally forgot about the octangular gate! Maybe that's why I'm tweaking about my development. I always forget that the joysticks don't have those. I prefer the octagonal outline and if custom Joycons come out with that, that'd be amazing.

Doobber

Smash Rookie
I solely used the Wii U Pro Controller for Smash 4 after years of GC controller. At the time the GC adapter was impossible to find so I just learned the new controller. I swapped back to the GC controller because I didn’t like the Switch Pro Controller. If need be I could probably go back to the Wii U controller I f it were made available for the Switch.

There were plenty of players who did extremely well using a Wiimote and Nunchuk. They’ve all been forced to adapt to something else now, so I think it’s very possible.

But the question is - why do it? Assuming the OEM GC controllers are going to remain a limited run. Say if Ultimate sticks around for many years, if you don’t want to drop 75% of your paycheck into a new one from a scalper on ebay, or risk it with a dicey 3rd party one, a quality OEM controller that is easier to find is probably at a store near you. That’s the only feasible reason I could foresee why you’d want to get used to a different controller now - you won’t need as much time to adapt when the inevitable occurs. But I wouldn’t see a reason to just do it for the hell of it, unless you don’t like to take your own controller out with you or have something impromptu occur where you only have someone else’s controller to use. Just my 2¢.

Good p

Good point, man. I wish Nintendo can add variety to their GameCube controllers. The Wireless ones they dropped recently are already rare, and they have no vibration, which is something I really like.

Top Bottom