• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on today's Pokémon Direct?

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Did any of you see todays pokémon direct?
Well, not much happened, except:

1. The announcement of a new Mystery Dungeon game for the Switch... New and updated with better graphics on a new system.

2. The announcement for a $30 (us dollars) 2-part extension for pokémon sword & shield, with the reveal of new pokémon and areas to look for. The're are new galarian forms, returning legendary pocket monsters, and more! I haven't personally played Sword & Shield yet (I've been playing 'Let's Go Eevee!' a lot lately), but this is still huge. There will even be free updates to the base game that let you unlock the new pokemon through trading, even if you don't have the DLC.

There was no announcement for a new pokémon fighter in smash, like a select few expected. So we will have to wait for the likes of Obstagoon, Sceptile, or even Turtwig, to make it into Smash Bros.
The fact that there was no announcement for a pokémon DLC Fighter is both a good thing, and a bad thing. There are many of us who want more pokémon as another fighter, and its disappointing that that didn't happen...
BUT... This also leaves things open to other, more anticipated fighters like Doom Slayer, Lara Croft, or otherwise.

What are your thoughts? If you could pick any pokémon to join smash as DLC, who would it be? I kind of want to see Chimchar!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
There’s two I’d like: Gengar and Toxtricity

Gengar - part ghost. We haven’t had a ghost type fighter yet and Gengar can make it unique. Filled with dark, ghost, psychic, poison and other status effect types of attacks. Only thing holding him back is he’s another Gen 1 pokemon

toxi - I believe is the most popular Gen 8 Pokémon. Musical style attacks and has two forms

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
There’s two I’d like: Gengar and Toxtricity

Gengar - part ghost. We haven’t had a ghost type fighter yet and Gengar can make it unique. Filled with dark, ghost, psychic, poison and other status effect types of attacks. Only thing holding him back is he’s another Gen 1 pokemon

toxi - I believe is the most popular Gen 8 Pokémon. Musical style attacks and has two forms
I think there are definately a few good gen 8 pokémon that would work... Obstagoon would work the best for gen 8 in my opinion, but I could definately see toxtricity too

LittleGamer

Smash Rookie
I don't own Sw/Sh so I'm not really interested in the dlcs, but Mystery Dungeon remake is interesting. I started again the first entry on DS some weeks ago and plays it at a slow pace, don't know if I'll rebuy it since I'm currently replaying the original. The graphics seems pretty good, and if they let the same crazy number of post game dungeons, it might be a very good game for the Switch.

I need to try the demo someday, to see if the game is really the exact same with better graphics or not.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I need to try the demo someday, to see if the game is really the exact same with better graphics or not.
From what I've played of the demo, they actually made good improvements. For example, the Makuhita Dojo has a reason to exist because you can get a huge amount of EXP in a short amount of time so level grinding and babying low level teammates is no longer an issue. They also made a Dugtrio hole right next to your house that teleports you right to the Pelipper post office so you can get to the mission board faster.

LittleGamer

Smash Rookie
From what I've played of the demo, they actually made good improvements. For example, the Makuhita Dojo has a reason to exist because you can get a huge amount of EXP in a short amount of time so level grinding and babying low level teammates is no longer an issue. They also made a Dugtrio hole right next to your house that teleports you right to the Pelipper post office so you can get to the mission board faster.
Some life hack. I think Makuhita dojo was for EV or something but I never understood how this thing worked so I'm not sure.
That's some good improvements. I'll try it when I'll have a bit of time, just to see... But I'll probably stick to the original, I'm so fond of it from the memories I get playing it.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Some life hack. I think Makuhita dojo was for EV or something but I never understood how this thing worked so I'm not sure.
That's some good improvements. I'll try it when I'll have a bit of time, just to see... But I'll probably stick to the original, I'm so fond of it from the memories I get playing it.
Hope you enjoy doing that.

I also forgot to mention it made improvements to UI and such for convenience. For instance, you can see the belly meter right next to your HP bar. You don't need to pause just to see how much belly you have. They also added an auto mode. You press the L button and the Pokemon walk around exploring the dungeon automatically. It will automatically turn off if you're 2 tiles away from an enemy. I like this because it saves time and several button presses just to run around a dungeon and it will automatically make your team walk towards the stairs if you've found them so once you're done exploring the floor, you can just press the L button and they'll head towards the stairs for you. I also like it because it'll just let your more quickly breeze through low level dungeons faster.

It also gives you early access to an item called the Friend Bow to raise befriending rates. It's also been confirmed Shinies for seemingly every Pokemon will be in this game which was not a feature in the original, so if you like those recolors that might be something to consider.

I might end up preferring this version over the original because it has the Nullify Band; an item that negates the user's Ability. I absolutely love any Pokemon game that gives me access to Slaking so having Slaking's power with none of the drawbacks is a win in my book.

LittleGamer

Smash Rookie
Ahah I can see why you like Slaking, it's one of my favorite pokemon, probably my favorite of its type (maybe ex aequo with Meowth).
I enjoy a lot replaying it. Strange to say but I feel like a kid again hearing the musics and seeing the graphics, re-reading the dialogs... It's a good feeling, I don't have it so strongly on so many games.

But these new features might make me want to play the new one to see.
The L button thing is kind of something I like and don't like. It's good to go back to stairs like you say but I always feel like I don't need to actually play when I have this kind of option in games (for exemple, the auto-battle in Breath of Fire is its biggest flaw to me, since I realised it was not changing anything doing it or not in the first 6 hours of gameplay at least...). But if it stops when ennemies are nearby... why not.

Having those kind of objects is hella cool. Since you are probably replaying the game it let you play it differently. For shinies, I don't really care honestly, good adding but it's not a feature I've been following much.

Top Bottom