• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on tilting opponents?

CleverMiss

Smash Rookie
I was playing as Robin a few hours ago against a Cloud. I barely won the first game with a checkmate clutch. Next game, I decided to try something.

I started off by teabagging at the start of the match just to see his reaction, and he started to dash at me after a while instead of charging his limit. I got about a 50% lead at one point and could tell he was playing more aggressively than last game. I was thinking he might be an emotional player, so I started taunting and teabagging a lot especially after back throws or hitting him with a tome, and he started play super aggressive and predictable, trying to punish my taunts. I could tell I was annoying him. It was really easy to take advantage of him after that and won the game only taking about 40%. He stopped using limit entirely after my taunting and started playing very predictable so it wasn't hard at all to win.

He left immediately after that game... What do you guys think about tilting opponents? Have you noticed any change of playstyle after throwing out a few taunts?

FlyingWarrior

Smash Rookie
If you can annoy your opponent to the point of them carelessly throwing out laggy moves, then go for it. Getting into your opponents head and frustrating them can ultimately change the outcome of the match or make things much easier for you, as it did in this example. Taunting, especially mid match, can really get on someone's nerves when done at the right time.

Some taunts are more effective than others and some characters playstyles make taunting more effective for them. Characters like :4tlink: or :4charizard: don't really have taunts that feel like taunts. While on the other hand, :4peach: and :4palutena:'s side taunts will probably leave their opponents more tilted, since their taunts more annoying. Campier characters can benefit more from taunting since it will make their opponents approach in careless ways. For example,:4megaman: or :4robinf:.

There are other ways to get into an opponent's head. Like you mentioned, teabagging is a useful taunt. Some characters have annoying crouches, such as :4bayonetta: and :4dedede:, which could get on someone's nerves if used constantly.

Last edited:

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I remember i was in a local and before the game the guy i was playing against kept talking down to me and claiming to know more about my character than me. Game 1 was close, and after i won he said "youre gonna need a different strategy to beat me again"; and boy did i try a different strategy.
I crouch walked after i took the first stock and taunted, and he got so tilted he didn't hit me the rest of the game. Went completely quiet and walked away after i destroyed him.

Tilting is a great strategy against weak minded opponents

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's reasons like this why I play Jigglypuff. For all of her flaws, she is extremely effective at the Three Ts: tiliting, taunting, and teabagging.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I wouldn't do it. Most of the time you'll just come off as a jerk. That kind of tactic isn't going to phase good players anyways. If you make a good play by all means taunt if you want to show confidence. That to me is all in good competitive fun. But as far as tea bagging goes...I just find it rude and immature. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This is why you should train yourself to not give a damn. That reminds me. I need to take my medication. I think that might help with my ability to not be easily frustrated.

Wonderfly~

Smash Cadet
I do like to use Peach's side taunt occasionally to annoy the crap out of a weak minded opponent. It's pretty funny how tilted they get lol, especially if I get that "Awwww, did I wiiiiin?" victory screen :^)

That being said, I do think taunting is a strategic move to shift the match in your favor. Using taunts at the correct times without getting punished for them can really get under someone's skin.

It's reasons like this why I play Jigglypuff. For all of her flaws, she is extremely effective at the Three Ts: tiliting, taunting, and teabagging.
Same for Peach lol. She has an annoying moveset and movement along with one of the most infuriating taunts in the game.

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Doesn't really phase me, if people are doing that I'm just gonna return the favor, and if they get triggered by their own tactic it would make it a ton funnier

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
If you're playing in a tournament youd better be playing to win. If your opponent is easily tilted then exploit that. Even more skilled opponents can be tilted if you get them right.
Yeah its rude but its also strategy

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
If it works, I don't see a reason not to do so. You're not going to make many friends though.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
The only childish part is the people who are actually tilted by a videogame ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I find this statement to be extremely immature. People put effort into the games they play, thus forming an attachment to them. When things do not go their way, it's perfectly natural to get frustrated or angry when their efforts are not paying off. They care, and degrading those emotions is denying the human element of competition.

To be clear, I'm not saying uncontrolled frustration or anger is ok; it's not. But what I am saying is that getting tilted is natural and is just part of the game. It's something we must accept and utilize if we wish to handle competition in a mature fashion.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'm really not sure, to be honest.

I can see how "Tilting" an opponent by taunting or doing something mid-match can be beneficial. To me it can be seen as a form of bait, or even a form of mind game. You're trying to coax them to drop their guards or become more aggressive. When you do it enough they throw caution out the window and do whatever it takes to take you down so it can be a tactic if needed...

However, I will say there's a fine line between trying to tilt them and being just plain disrespectful. You shouldn't feel the need to taunt or teabag constantly throughout the whole match. To me that's more than just trying to throw someone off their game.

One taunt should do it, maybe two. Maybe a crouch depending on the character, like King Dedede.

I personally try my hardest not to taunt, because a lot of the community (especially For Glory) sees it as disrespect. I want anyone I face to have fun and I do what I can not to offend them. Sadly For Glory is surprisingly easy to trigger no matter what you do.

I'd say just be very careful with trying to tilt. You could end up getting reported or even banned if you do it to the wrong person...

v3ga

Smash Cadet
Listen - this is the way I see it, it's not that complex:
If you're doing well, or you're really feeling yourself during a match, or know that a certain opponent gets triggered easily by taunting - go for it!
Who cares? It's the same in sports when players do their little dances in the endzone.
If the opponent ends up playing worse, that's on them. It's a test of mental fortitude. One that many get salty about and ended up playing poorly, which is something you should take advantage of in the right situation. That being said, I definitely don't think it's something you should be doing every match because it's kind of untasteful. But do you!

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
I'm an extreme goody-two shoes so I couldn't bring myself to do something like this, but I don't necessarily think it's horrible. While you won't make any friends and it's definitely not the nicest thing in the world to do, it's some kind of strategy and if it works, it works. One of my brothers plays hockey and there's a whole bunch of taunting, trash talk, etc. and while I'm not the biggest fan of it I acknowledge that it's part of the sport. However, seeing as how it's still not a nice thing to do, I wouldn't do it excessively. Say, only use it when the person seems salty or borderline-tilt already, and don't use it on someone who seems like a genuinely good person or someone you're having fun playing against. Most of the time it's best to just play the game how it's usually played.

99live

Smash Rookie
In response to this thread I must present you with a video that I found:

And it says this is a real tournament match. Thoughts?

Akenaga X

Smash Rookie
The funniest part is that Shulk is out-camping Toon Link.
How in the hell do you allow a Shulk to out-camp you? Let alone how do you get nearly 3 stocked in 8 mins but can't get the kill. This match doesn't make any sense and it's SUPER disrespectful.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
How in the hell do you allow a Shulk to out-camp you? Let alone how do you get nearly 3 stocked in 8 mins but can't get the kill. This match doesn't make any sense and it's SUPER disrespectful.
The Shulk knew how to maximize his use of Arts and the stage layout. Either that or the Toon Link just can't handle his own medicine.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I find this statement to be extremely immature. People put effort into the games they play, thus forming an attachment to them. When things do not go their way, it's perfectly natural to get frustrated or angry when their efforts are not paying off. They care, and degrading those emotions is denying the human element of competition.

To be clear, I'm not saying uncontrolled frustration or anger is ok; it's not. But what I am saying is that getting tilted is natural and is just part of the game. It's something we must accept and utilize if we wish to handle competition in a mature fashion.
Youre half right. If youre sitting at home playing against a buddy or in a friendly at a tourney and they try to tilt you its definitely disrespectful. But if youre in a tournament bracket you shouldnt let your emotions interfere with your play. Tournaments are about winning, and its bad to be emotionally invested. Emotions do no good for competitive play, unless youre feeling the emotion "confidence" or even "fear", they can be helpful.

Players should play confidently and also fearfully. You should be scared of getting hit by focus punch at 80%. You should believe in yourself. But you should never be "upset" or "angry", leave those emotions at home where the casual games are.

So is it disrespectful to tilt your opponent? Yeah of course. But tournaments aren't about respect or taking care of your opponents mental well-being. Tournaments are about winning and there's nothing wrong with that.

That being said, tournaments are hella fun and you should enjoy yourself if possible. If youre not having fun you wont come back. But dont confuse yourself, regardless of how much fun youre having the end goal is still to win.

Emotions are healthy, and you shouldn't ignore them or shut them off, just train yourself to play pragmatically and deal with your emotions after the set.

And if youre like me, youll learn to derive joy from winning.

I havent been tilted in a long time because i realized its just a game and losing is part of improving, if someone is taunting me theyre trying to get in my head and i simply wont allow it. Thats a very mature realization to make, and the people who havent realized it yet are as i said, childish. Children cannot control their emotions, so getting worked up over a taunting opponent is childish.

I know i seem cynical and cruel about this whole topic, but its simply my opinion and im actually a very nice and respectful player. I only taunt in extreme circumstances, always when they taunted/disrespected first.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I don't like the idea of purposefully trying to annoy someone. It kinda can make you come off as a jerk. But with that said if your opponent is say verbally complaining about a particular move of your character's then you should feel free to exploit that weakness. If someone is showing signs of tilting that's their problem. If they can't adapt to a playstyle or a character and instead get impatience or predictable exploit it. If they provide the salt feel free to rub that salt in their wounds.
With that said if I was utterly destroying someone I wouldn't try to go out of my way by like taunting. If your opponent behaves like a gentleman or a lady I think that same sportsmanship should be shown to them.
But if there's a kid complaining then by all means make him so mad he breaks his controller. =P

WindCutter1

Smash Rookie
Depends on the taunt, imo. Most taunts in the game I can just shrug off and not care about.

However, Peach and Lucina's taunts tilt me much more than almost anything in this game. ZSS's up taunt too, but I think that's more to do with her being so frustrating to fight (Then again, Peach is annoying to fight too)

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
I'm an extreme goody-two shoes so I couldn't bring myself to do something like this, but I don't necessarily think it's horrible. While you won't make any friends and it's definitely not the nicest thing in the world to do, it's some kind of strategy and if it works, it works. One of my brothers plays hockey and there's a whole bunch of taunting, trash talk, etc. and while I'm not the biggest fan of it I acknowledge that it's part of the sport. However, seeing as how it's still not a nice thing to do, I wouldn't do it excessively. Say, only use it when the person seems salty or borderline-tilt already, and don't use it on someone who seems like a genuinely good person or someone you're having fun playing against. Most of the time it's best to just play the game how it's usually played.
Basically this, I really disagree doing this tactic on

1: New players
2: Respectful players.

That behavior really doesn't help grow the community nor make the respectful people see the community any good, so I'd just stay clear from that behavior unless the person is doing it to me first then they deserve it.

UpsettedFizz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Defender5X
I think it would be more rewarding to defeat someone with genuine competitive prowess than to win by getting into his or her head through the use of excessive taunting, as detailed in the OP. It creates a toxic gameplay experience, one that isn't meant to be had by either player in the match, not to mention that this kind of strategy wouldn't work on a better player.

Taunt after you get a clutch kill? Totally understandable. Got a shield break? Fine. Taunt every time you launch the opponent off-stage? That's taking it too far, especially if you're having a respectable, competitive match. The game should be fun, not salt-inducing to this extreme.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I think something to note is that if you taunt frequently or repeatedly try to aggravate opponents, you should be prepared to be considered a villain (great example: CaptainZack). You need to assess whether you're okay with this before using it as a primary strategy.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Then that means competition would have no point at all if you're playing to lose and to have someone say to you "go kill yourself". I find that everyone including me must be masochist.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Then that means competition would have no point at all if you're playing to lose and to have someone say to you "go kill yourself". I find that everyone including me must be masochist.
If someone is telling you that, that's way beyond tilting; that's verbal abuse. What the discussion is about here is taunting and aggravating your opponent(s) into gameplay worse than average, not abusing them into sub-standard play, jesus.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Seriously, if anyone's actually telling you this in your scene, you should buy a recorder/get evidence and then politely bring it up with the TO and get them kicked out for being toxic. That's going much further than simply taunting in-game and is completely unacceptable.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
I find that I need a match or two to get reads on my opponents. I like to taunt at the start to show that I'm in for a friendly match, even if I'm practicing technique. When they don't taunt back they are either genuinely good, or have a technique I just don't know. But once I get the reads, and if they're teabagging and taunting me before I got it, I try to get them salty as possible. Tag's, taunting, and t-bagging.

Top Bottom