• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on this setup?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Flavor: Death Note
Setup: Open, Night Start

Mafia
Light Yagami | Vengeful Claim Vig

During the Night phase or upon execution, you may select any number of living players and match them to a role. If each selected player matches the corresponding role, those players will be killed at the end of the Night (or prior to execution); otherwise, no kill will occur. If the Traitor is still alive, you may relinquish this ability to them—your role will become Mafia Godfather and you will be treated as innocent and town-aligned upon investigation (this affects Detective, Cop, and the Weak modifier, but not Neapolitan and Role Watcher).
Misa Amane | Reflexive Role Cop | Unrequited Lover

During the Night, you may choose a player that you either voted for or was voted by during the previous Day phase and reveal their role. If Light Yagami dies, you will also die.
Teru Mikami | Apostle

You may not communicate with the mafia and your vote does not count in Lylo. If Light Yagami relinquishes the Death Note, you will gain the Claim Vig ability. If you possess the Death Note, you may choose to relinquish it at any time.
Town
L | Reflexive Detective

During the Night, may choose a player you voted for or were voted by during the previous Day phase and determine if they have killed.
Near | Weak Back-Up

If L dies, you will become a Weak Detective. As such, you will be able to investigate a player during the Night to determine if they have killed. If you target a non-town aligned player, however, you will die at the end of the Night.
Sochiro Yagami | Cop | Naive Cop

During the Night, you may investigate a player and determine whether that player is Town Aligned or Not Town Aligned. Light Yagami will always appear Town Aligned to you.
Shuichi Aizawa | Role Watcher

During the Night phase, you may target a player and determine what roles targeted that player during the Night.
Kanzo Mogi | Neapolitan

During the Night, you may investigate a player and determine whether that player is Town Vanilla or Not Town Vanilla.
Watari | Lone Vanilla

You are the only Town Vanilla player in the game.
Touta Matsuda | Weak Cop

During the Night phase, you may investigate a player and determine if that player is Town Aligned. If you target a non-town aligned player, you will die at the end of the Night.
Raye Iwamatsu | Undercover Agent | Lover Mason

Each Night you may choose an alignment and role. You will be treated as that role by any investigative actions used in the same Night. You may communicate with Naomi Misora at any time in the provided chat. If Naomi Misora dies, you will also die.
Naomi Misora | Undercover Agent | Lover Mason

Each Night you may choose an alignment and role. You will be treated as that role by any investigative actions used in the same Night. You may communicate with Raye Iwamatsu at any time in the provided chat. If Raye Iwamatsu dies, you will also die.

Spectators (Aren't a part of the game, but can be signed up for separately)
REM | Neighborizor | Day Ender

You may not vote. During each day phase, you may create a neighborhood with a player that you may communicate in during the following Night phase. Once during the game, if no death has occurred on at least one prior Night phase and one or more mafia members is being voted for, you may end the Day. Doing so will cause you to exit the game. You win if Misa Amane is alive at endgame.
RYUK | Neighborizor | Gambler

You may not vote. During each day phase, you may create a neighborhood with a player that you may communicate in during the following Night phase. Each Night, you may select any number of living players and predict a player, if any, they will target. You win if you guess 7 correct targets throughout the game.
Quote Reply
Report Edit

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Do mafia have a standard faction kill or just the claim vig?

I don't know if I understand the function of a Neap in this setup.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Only claim vig. Neap is essentially just a non-vanilla vanilla (other than being able to detect Watari or potentially Raye and Naomi)

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I like that this game has a way to counteract a town mass claim. I think it may be fun to give scum the ability hide one flip and learn the role/ability the player had that they hide the flip of.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I like that this game has a way to counteract a town mass claim. I think it may be fun to give scum the ability hide one flip and learn the role/ability the player had that they hide the flip of.
I agree. A deathnote power is to have them act out a death. Doing it in a way to hide their role to town would be fun.

Chaco

Never Logs In
It’s definitely an interesting set up, I’d be very interested to see how it plays out. Could be a very long game or a short one.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
That's good, otherwise deathnote might be too easy at endgame.

I think the undercover agents will always choose to appear to be vanilla town. What reason do they have to do otherwise? Does the deathnote work on them based on their chosen role? I guess there's a little bit of play to drawn the NK or mess up the deathnote by feeding fake info

Shuichi Aizawa | Role Watcher

During the Night phase, you may target a player and determine what roles targeted that player during the Night.
This is a voyeur not a watcher, right?

REM | Neighborizor | Day Ender

You may not vote. During each day phase, you may create a neighborhood with a player that you may communicate in during the following Night phase. Once during the game, if no death has occurred on at least one prior Night phase and one or more mafia members is being voted for, you may end the Day. Doing so will cause you to exit the game. You win if Misa Amane is alive at endgame.
This seems like a boring role for many players. I'd be happy with this role, but I think the average player would feel like they lacked agency over their win.

RYUK | Neighborizor | Gambler

You may not vote. During each day phase, you may create a neighborhood with a player that you may communicate in during the following Night phase. Each Night, you may select any number of living players and predict a player, if any, they will target. You win if you guess 7 correct targets throughout the game.
This seems like it might be too easy. No one really has an incentive to stop this from happening. With the two players who die when targeting non-town I suspect that people will be breadcrumbing targets at least and probably the game will quickly decide that everyone should declare a hypothetical target that they would be targeting if they were a weak role.

I like a lot of the ideas here though. I'll ponder how spectators roles can feel more involved.

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I think the undercover agents will always choose to appear to be vanilla town. What reason do they have to do otherwise? Does the deathnote work on them based on their chosen role? I guess there's a little bit of play to drawn the NK or mess up the deathnote by feeding fake info
The death note only works on them using their true role name "undercover agent." Their goal would essentially be to disrupt the kills since a mass kill by the death note only goes through if every match is correct.
This is a voyeur not a watcher, right?
So the difference between a voyeur and a role watcher is that a role watcher sees what roles that targeted a player (e.g. cop, tracker, doctor, vanilla), whereas a voyeur sees what type of actions targeted a player (e.g. investigative, protective, killing).

I didn't make this clear, but the spectators aren't actually a part of the game and so aren't assigned randomly. They are separate slots that a person can specifically sign up for. They are meant to be for users such as marshy or strong badam who may want to spectate the game, but with a little bit of flavor to it. They are completely non-committal.

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
In the story, REM and RYUK aren't involved with the affairs of the humans. They are kind of just there observing. Yet their presence does induce an unsettling atmosphere and it's always a question of whether or not they will have an impact on the story. RYUK does tend to help Light in some ways due to his own interest in wanting to see "the game" go on and REM does actually end up having a significant impact in a deus ex moment similar to ending the day phase. The goal with the spectators is to replicate that atmosphere.

Last edited:

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
is death note infinite use or one shot?

there's no incentive for any Town player to ever communicate with either neighborizer

I have no idea what's supposed to make the neighborizer that requires a lover-mafia to be alive at the end of the game to win fun, seems impossible to play

super crazy swingy in some unlucky circumstances - if Cop hits Misa N1 he trades his own life via death note for 2/3rds of the scumteam

generally I have a distaste for set-ups that seem like they're trying to match flavor more than be fun as an actual mafia game, and this seems to be that for me

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
is death note infinite use or one shot?
Infinite.
there's no incentive for any Town player to ever communicate with either neighborizer

I have no idea what's supposed to make the neighborizer that requires a lover-mafia to be alive at the end of the game to win fun, seems impossible to play
They aren't meant to:
I didn't make this clear, but the spectators aren't actually a part of the game and so aren't assigned randomly. They are separate slots that a person can specifically sign up for. They are meant to be for users such as marshy or strong badam who may want to spectate the game, but with a little bit of flavor to it. They are completely non-committal.
These are essentially just green room slots with a little bit of interactivity added. They are for people who don't have time/desire to commit to a game, but may wish to spectate.

super crazy swingy in some unlucky circumstances - if Cop hits Misa N1 he trades his own life via death note for 2/3rds of the scumteam
Do you mean 1/3? Misa is an unrequited lover so it is one-way. She dies if Light dies but Light does not die if she dies. It's conceptually a modified Pollock's flag design.

ExLight

Smash Lord
So mafia doesn't have a factional kill every night? It's basically arsonist while Misa is alive, but punishing town harder if they claim right?

I feel like just lynching Misa is prolly an insta gg easy for town if they don't go on a claim craze which is probably super risky. On a side note she also dies if Light dies so that makes it even easier for her to be a goner.

Weak detective also makes no sense, because if I'm reading correctly only Mafia is able to kill and Near dies when they find mafia, so like ???

EDIT: Weak Cop is also redundant since there aren't indepts

Last edited:

ExLight

Smash Lord
making it an open setup is also very risky, since they can just associate the roles randomly upon death or every night and hope they hit the players controlling them, which has been an issue in another game I was in that wasn't even open so I can see it becoming a major problem here

I'd suggest maybe imposing a hard limit of maybe 2 or 3 players per use and not allowing them to guess the same role for multiple players since I don't know if that's allowed by reading the way it is phrased atm

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I'd suggest maybe imposing a hard limit of maybe 2 or 3 players per use and not allowing them to guess the same role for multiple players since I don't know if that's allowed by reading the way it is phrased atm
I believe they need to have all of their guesses correct in order to kill, meaning if they tried to do that they wouldn't be able to get any kills at all

Weak detective also makes no sense, because if I'm reading correctly only Mafia is able to kill and they die when they find mafia, so like ???
They can crumb their target the Day before, like Boom said earlier

ExLight

Smash Lord
They can crumb their target the Day before, like Boom said earlier
That's not really my issue. And breadcrumbing will probably get them killed anyway because scum can notice and off them which would mislead town into believing someone else is scum lol.
Why is there the need of them being a backup them? Both the Weak Cop and the Weak Detective are just Weak Visitors basically lol

Even if they got a guilty result they just die, there's no point of giving them a fancy name like Cop or Detective.

ExLight

Smash Lord
I believe they need to have all of their guesses correct in order to kill, meaning if they tried to do that they wouldn't be able to get any kills at all
I don't think they do? They'd hardly get any kills during early/mid game if town just didn't claim if that was the case.
Which is likely since it's announced as an open setup.

Last edited:

ExLight

Smash Lord
I know they're all from the police but maybe reducing a bit the amount of investigatives and adding one or two redirection/protection
and maybe slap one or two indept like Mello (one anti-town and one pro-town maybe) just so the weak detective/cop can die to something other than mafia

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I don't think they do? They'd hardly get any kills during early/mid game if town just didn't claim if that was the case.
Which is likely since it's announced as an open setup.
"you may select any number of living players and match them to a role. If each selected player matches the corresponding role, those players will be killed at the end of the Night (or prior to execution); otherwise, no kill will occur."

That's how I interpreted it at least, though I agree that early game kills may be difficult

ExLight

Smash Lord
hmm
anyway mafia has no reason to kill during the night unless it's to throw Weak claims off tbh
it would reduce the PoE which is arguably bad for them considering they can get around the same amount of kills (a bit less) upon getting lynched

that seems like another issue

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
That's not really my issue. And breadcrumbing will probably get them killed anyway because scum can notice and off them which would mislead town into believing someone else is scum lol.
This is an interesting point. Xivii Xivii Will the source of deaths be obviouse in the morning. Like deathnoted vs died from being a weak cop with a hit? The answer dramatically changes the balance of power. I assume the answer is yes, since weak cop is basically useless if the answer is no.

Top Bottom