• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on: Theory: Smash Ultimate DLC may include more playable Sonic characters. Tails and many more.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It's recently been rumored that there may be 16 DLC characters instead of 5. According to what I've heard Piranha Plant and Joker/Ren are already occupying the first two slots. We haven't revealed the rest of the 14 remaining slots as of now.

Remember, Knuckles and later Shadow were eliminated from being playable as an assist trophy. Well they're not actually intended to be victims of deconfirmation. It's probably because the developers didn't have time to make Knuckles and Shadow playable. But still include these iconic characters in the game somehow.

Tails on the other hand was lucky to not be assist trophy. And I have a theory that he might be secretly intended to playable. But he had to be released as DLC to prevent delaying the release of Smash Ultimate. In fact he has a high chance of being one of the remaining 14 DLC fighters. Eggman wasn't an assist trophy either, but his chances aren't as high as Tails's.

Before the announcement of Smash Ultimate, I predicted that the Sonic universe would be the most represented 3rd party franchise in Smash. I also predicted that Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Metal Sonic would be some of the first newcomers. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Tails, Amy, Eggman and Metal Sonic all get in before Knuckles.

But sadly, Richter and Ken manged to get in first.

What are your thoughts on my prediction for Tails along with 1-2 (possibly Eggman) more Sonic characters being DLC?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No way a single franchise gets two new reps for DLC. They need variety.

Aside from that, I doubt any Spirit or AT gets in for the first Fighter Pass, so that kills everyone imo. If (and that's a big if) there's more than one pass, then yeah, sure. I'd expect them to go for the most popular, so that would be Shadow.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Aside from that, I doubt any Spirit or AT gets in for the first Fighter Pass, so that kills everyone imo. If (and that's a big if) there's more than one pass, then yeah, sure. I'd expect them to go for the most popular, so that would be Shadow.
But Spirits don't deconfirm playable characters. And Shadow and Knuckles will most likely be in Smash 6.

So I think we're just gonna have Tails as a DLC after the first 5, for more Sonic characters.

Plus, back in Smash 4 Corrin was a DLC playable character from a franchise already represented in Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But Spirits don't deconfirm playable characters.
Why not?
And Shadow will most likely be in Smash 6.
Or he'll get in before, as DLC for Smash Ultimate.
Plus, back in Smash 4 Corrin was a DLC playable character from a franchise already represented in Smash.
Different games, different rules. Corrin was also the only FE newcomer for DLC, what you're proposing is two or more newcomers for DLC for a single franchise.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Or he'll get in before, as DLC for Smash Ultimate.
No, because assist trophies won't be released as DLC. So that's why shadow will most likely come in Smash 6.

Spirits do not deconfirm playable characters. Spirits replace trophies, starting in Smash Ultimate.

Different games, different rules. Corrin was also the only FE newcomer for DLC, what you're proposing is two or more newcomers for DLC for a single franchise.
You're right, but I'm mainly proposing Tails.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No, because assist trophies won't be released as DLC.
Spirits do not deconfirm playable characters.
These posts really lack basis. Assist Trophies can be promoted, or maybe they won't. Spirits can't, or maybe they can. There's no outright confirmation of either.

For the record, the comparison between Spirits and Trophies is not at all one to one. For examples, Spirits serve gameplay purpose, unlike Trophies.
You're right, but I'm mainly proposing Tails.
And why would it be Tails that gets in?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
These posts really lack basis. Assist Trophies can be promoted, or maybe they won't. Spirits can't, or maybe they can. There's no outright confirmation of either.

For the record, the comparison between Spirits and Trophies is not at all one to one. For examples, Spirits serve gameplay purpose, unlike Trophies.
Assist Trophies can only be promoted to playable characters in sequels. They can't be promoted to playable characters through DLC. But Spirits can be promoted either way, since a playable character can also be a spirit.

Because Tails is another iconic 3rd party superstar. And he's more iconic than Shadow or Knuckles. And plus, he might be the first 3rd party pseudo-clone or semi clone.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It's probably because the developers didn't have time to make Knuckles and Shadow playable. But still include these iconic characters in the game somehow.

Tails on the other hand was lucky to not be assist trophy. And I have a theory that he might be secretly intended to playable. But he had to be released as DLC to prevent delaying the release of Smash Ultimate. In fact he has a high chance of being one of the remaining 14 DLC fighters.
So what evidence/arguments do you have that makes you think Tails will be likely for DLC? Because all I'm getting from this post is "Tails may be DLC because the developers probably wanted him in."

Because Tails is another iconic 3rd party superstar. And he's more iconic than Shadow or Knuckles. And plus, he might be the first 3rd party pseudo-clone or semi clone.
There are tons of iconic 3rd party characters that could be in Smash. I have no idea why you think Tails would suddenly have immediate priority over every other character. Also I really doubt they'd go out of their way to introduce a 3rd party semi clone just for the purpose of filling in that oddly specific quota.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So what evidence/arguments do you have that makes you think Tails will be likely for DLC? Because all I'm getting from this post is "Tails may be DLC because the developers probably wanted him in."
Well, that's because Ness was first playable in Smash 64, and Lucas became playable in Brawl, which is 2 generations after Smash 64. And Sonic was first playable in Brawl, and Ultimate is 2 generations after Brawl, so Tails is currently the Sonic newcomer with the highest chances.

There are tons of iconic 3rd party characters that could be in Smash. I have no idea why you think Tails would suddenly have immediate priority over every other character. Also I really doubt they'd go out of their way to introduce a 3rd party semi clone just for the purpose of filling in that oddly specific quota.
Well he may not have immediate priority, but there's no correlation between Tails and those other 3rd party superstars. If Tail's isn't one of the remaining 14 DLC playable characters, he will most likely be playable in Smash 6. But if he gets released as a DLC character, the only sonic characters we'll be getting will be Tails, and maybe Eggman.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Well, that's because Ness was first playable in Smash 64, and Lucas became playable in Brawl, which is 2 generations after Smash 64. And Sonic was first playable in Brawl, and Ultimate is 2 generations after Brawl, so Tails is currently the Sonic newcomer with the highest chances.
I don't see the connection between Lucas coming in two generations after Ness and Sonic getting the same treatment in Ultimate. That doesn't really make sense and isn't evidence pointing to a new Sonic character. We aren't guaranteed a new Sonic character, nor were we ever promised a new one.

HOWEVER.

I WOULD KILL FOR TAILS.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Assist Trophies can only be promoted to playable characters in sequels.
According to whom? You claim that, but no evidence to back you.
And he's more iconic than Shadow or Knuckles.
Hmmm, nah. At this point Shadow is 100% more iconic than Tails. Still, being more iconic does not make you playable, as many characters prove (Toad and Waluigi, Alucard, Meowth and Eevee, etc)

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
You keep saying Tails is “more likely” but he’s not. Tails is a 3rd party character so he’s not more likely than anyone. Sega has had a rep in the series since Brawl. Why all of a sudden do you think they’ll add another? And you can’t use the Ness/Lucas argument because EarthBound/Mother is a Nintendo Property for them to do what they please with.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I really doubt we'll ever see unique secondary third party characters included as playable characters.

The most we'll get are echos like Richter and Ken, I feel.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This makes no sense at all. What does Ness have anything to do with Sonic and why do you think Nintendo cares about this nonsensical trend?

That's like me saying: "Mario was first playable in Smash 64 and Dr. Mario became playable in Melee, which is 1 generation after Smash 64. Sonic was playable in Brawl, so therefore we should be getting a Sonic clone in SSB4."

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
According to whom? You claim that, but no evidence to back you.
Well assist trophies have been promoted to playable characters in sequels, but never through DLC. Cause it makes no sense for them to be both playable and an assist trophy. But spirits can be playable fighters, even through DLC.
Sega has had a rep in the series since Brawl. Why all of a sudden do you think they’ll add another? Ness/Lucas argument because EarthBound/Mother is a Nintendo Property for them to do what they please with.
Well, in Tails's case he would be representing the same franchise, just like how we have Lucas as a secondary Earthbound rep.
The most we'll get are echos like Richter and Ken, I feel.
No offense. But I feel like this isn't fair. Tails is more iconic then Richter and Ken. Aside from being echo fighters, which makes them easier to program. Even though their iconic, it's unfair for those secondary less iconic 3rd party playable characters, to be playable without having Tails.

Well Lucas returned from Brawl to Smash 4, but he had to be DLC to prevent delaying the release of Smash 4. Lucas was a pseudo-clone so he has an entirely different moveset from Ness, with only his special moves being shared. If Tails is going to be released as DLC, then it would make sense to postpone him due to the development time of his moveset. It's not going to be that difficult since he would be a semi-clone or pseudo-clone.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Cause it makes no sense for them to be both playable and an assist trophy.
Why not?
But spirits can be playable fighters, even through DLC.
According to your logic, Spirits can't be DLC because there's never been a Spirit promoted through DLC. Your logic, not mine.
Tails is more iconic then Richter and Ken.
Eh, I'd say Ken is at least about on par with Tails in iconicness. Not to mention if we're arguing iconic Shadow beats Tails.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Why do you keep comparing EarthBound to Sonic? EarthBound is a Nintendo property and Sonic is not. They are nothing alike.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
First things first, the 16 placeholders don't mean we're guaranteed getting that many DLC characters. The previous game had it's share of extra "slots" that we're never filled, so as it stands, what's been announced is all we're getting.

Second, unfortunately, there has been nothing said from any official source on Tails' chance and nothing, as of now, to indicate Sonic will even get a second character at all. If you ask me, should the series get another newcomer, Tails would make the most sense being the next most iconic character in the franchise, but sadly he's still a dark horse in the race and we don't even know if Spirits do eliminate a character's chance.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's recently been rumored that there may be 16 DLC characters instead of 5. According to what I've heard Piranha Plant and Joker/Ren are already occupying the first two slots. We haven't revealed the rest of the 14 remaining slots as of now.

Remember, Knuckles and later Shadow were eliminated from being playable as an assist trophy. Well they're not actually intended to be victims of deconfirmation. It's probably because the developers didn't have time to make Knuckles and Shadow playable. But still include these iconic characters in the game somehow.

Tails on the other hand was lucky to not be assist trophy. And I have a theory that he might be secretly intended to playable. But he had to be released as DLC to prevent delaying the release of Smash Ultimate. In fact he has a high chance of being one of the remaining 14 DLC fighters. Eggman wasn't an assist trophy either, but his chances aren't as high as Tails's.

Before the announcement of Smash Ultimate, I predicted that the Sonic universe would be the most represented 3rd party franchise in Smash. I also predicted that Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Metal Sonic would be some of the first newcomers. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Tails, Amy, Eggman and Metal Sonic all get in before Knuckles.

What are your thoughts on my prediction for Tails along with 1-2 (possibly Eggman) more Sonic characters being DLC?
There is no way we could be getting two or 3 unique 3rd party characters from the same franchise. But one isn't impossible and if any character deserves to be the first unique secondary 3rd party character it's Tails.

It's not impossible, but it's SUPER unlikely.

I don't think Tails is likely, but I do think he is the most likely secondary unique 3rd party rep if there is ever is going to be one. Also, Tails is the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming so he does have every right to be in the Smash roster regardless.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
We don't even know if Spirits do eliminate a character's chance.
Well according to this thread, which also provides a screenshot, Spirits aren't deconfirmed.
I don't think Tails is likely, but I do think he is the most likely secondary unique 3rd party rep if there is ever is going to be one. Also, Tails is the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming so he does have every right to be in the Smash roster regardless.
Well, in Tails's case he would be representing the same franchise, just like how we have Lucas as a secondary Earthbound rep.

No offense. But I feel like this isn't fair. Tails is more iconic then Richter and Ken. Aside from being echo fighters, which makes them easier to program. Even though their iconic, it's unfair for those secondary less iconic 3rd party playable characters, to be playable without having Tails.

Well Lucas returned from Brawl to Smash 4, but he had to be DLC to prevent delaying the release of Smash 4. Lucas was a pseudo-clone so he has an entirely different moveset from Ness, with only his special moves being shared. If Tails is going to be released as DLC, then it would make sense to postpone him due to the development time of his moveset. It's not going to be that difficult since he would be a semi-clone or pseudo-clone.
Well back in Smash 4 same thing occurred with Ryu. Ryu had a high chance prior to his release, but he wasn't an assist trophy because the developers could have secretly planned him to be playable, but release him as DLC later. So Tails still has a high chance after the first 5 DLC playable characters.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well according to this thread, which also provides a screenshot, Spirits aren't deconfirmed.

Well back in Smash 4 same thing occurred with Ryu. Ryu had a high chance prior to his release, but he wasn't an assist trophy because the developers could have secretly planned him to be playable, but release him as DLC later. So Tails still has a high chance after the first 5 DLC playable characters.
If you're referring to the screenshot with Daisy's Fighter Spirit, unfortunately spirits for currently playable fighters are functionally different from those for non-playable characters. You currently cannot equip the spirits of the playable fighters outside of alternate versions, which are named differently from their normal counterparts (ie Tennis Luigi spirit =/= normal Luigi spirit in-game). Right now, we just don't have conclusive evidence either way that an equipable spirit affects a character's chances either way.

Now, as I've said in that very thread, I don't see spirits as a full deconfirmation, as adjusting them seems much easier to do than, say, removing or altering an interactive NPC character. But from Sakurai's wording (in a nutshell referring to Spirits as a way for characters that don't get to be playable to be included in the game in some capacity), it does sound like these characters would be treated as a lower priority for playability. We'l have to wait and see what the other four upcoming characters turn out to be.

I'm not really sure how Ryu fits into this, but I do remember he was barely on anyone's radar before the DLC datamine. I remember back during the lead-up to Smash 4, most people wrote him, and pretty much any character originating from a fighting game, as a no-chance after Sakurai had made some comments about wanting to avoid those characters since players can already experience them in a fighting situation. Couple this with the whole "only one character per third party" fan rule mentality, and most people saw him as pretty low chance. It wasn't until the datamine found his and Roy's audio, among other elements, that people really considered him as a Smash fighter.

What we do know for the current DLC as of now is;

1. There are five currently promised but unreleased DLC packs coming over the course of at least a year.
2. Joker was the first and, as of this writing, only announced character from these packs
3. In relation to the Sonic series, Sega currently has 3 characters in, or coming to, the game with the aforementioned Joker being one of them. This doesn't exactly affect character choice, as Nintendo could have picked 5 Sega characters for DLC if they wanted to, but it doesn't seem extremely likely that they'll keep pulling DLC picks from the same source too much.
4. There appears to be no limit to how many Third Party characters can be from the same company or even the same series, as Castlevania and Street Fighter currently have two fighters each.
5. Sonic is still a very popular franchise with a strong legacy and with plenty of new content coming its way to keep it relevant; the series more than qualifies for additional fighters if they so choose. Likewise, characters such as Tails are known and beloved enough with the audience to safely assume they would sale (the key point of paid DLC. If people wont buy the character, then there's no reason to sell it).
6. We currently don't know how Spirits affect a character's chance for DLC, however, Sakurai's comments and the way they currently function in-game don't exactly help a character.

In otherwords, if Spirits do not disconfirm a character, which we currently do not know yet, then Tails has a shot as he's a well-known iconic character that could sell on his merits, but he may have been looked over for Joker if Nintendo only wanted to pick one character from Sega as DLC. Even they do decide a Sonic character is to be DLC, he still has to compete with other popular and beloved characters, but he does stand near, or at, the top.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I don't really understand the 'theory,' just that we could get multiple characters for Sonic

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but my soul has been sold to Arle to get her in Smash Brothers. Maybe if we get a second Sonic character the door opens more, or maybe it just totally shuts.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
But Spirits don't deconfirm playable characters.
In Smash 4, we saw both Lucas and Mewtwo promoted from being trophies to being returning playable characters. Not entirely new character but returning. Trophies were solely meant of collecting, viewing, and reading the fun text info.

Spirits, on the other hand, play an important part of the game in bothering WoL, Spirit Battles, etc. Please note that even though there is a Sonic spirit that uses both his non-Smash artwork and his Smash artwork. Other than that, he has no use as a Spirit accept for collecting him as a Fighter spirit. Tails, on the other hand, is a Support spirit and has a role to play as a spirit.

Promoting him would either result in Tails being removed as a spirit (and potentially messing with those who use him as a Spirit) or having a duplicate spirit as both a Fighter and Support (which could be confusing to some). We have different versions of Mario but they are not associated with the “Fighter” Mario.

So, until we see otherwise, we can’t say for sure if a spirit can be promoted to playable form and saying they can is, for the time being, wishful thinking. Everything suggests that they can’t and nothing suggests that they can.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
In Smash 4, we saw both Lucas and Mewtwo promoted from being trophies to being returning playable characters. Not entirely new character but returning. Trophies were solely meant of collecting, viewing, and reading the fun text info.

Spirits, on the other hand, play an important part of the game in bothering WoL, Spirit Battles, etc. Please note that even though there is a Sonic spirit that uses both his non-Smash artwork and his Smash artwork. Other than that, he has no use as a Spirit accept for collecting him as a Fighter spirit. Tails, on the other hand, is a Support spirit and has a role to play as a spirit.

Promoting him would either result in Tails being removed as a spirit (and potentially messing with those who use him as a Spirit) or having a duplicate spirit as both a Fighter and Support (which could be confusing to some). We have different versions of Mario but they are not associated with the “Fighter” Mario.

So, until we see otherwise, we can’t say for sure if a spirit can be promoted to playable form and saying they can is, for the time being, wishful thinking. Everything suggests that they can’t and nothing suggests that they can.
Actually, non-fighter spirits can be playable characters, such as the Pikachu support spirit. So Tails can still be both a playable and a support spirit.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Actually, non-fighter spirits can be playable characters, such as the Pikachu support spirit. So Tails can still be both a playable and a support spirit.
The “Let’s Go Pikachu” was included, along with Let’s Go Eevee as a way to incorporate the new Pokemon games. We have a Mario Fighter spirit but we also have a Wedding Bowser Spirit that has gameplay features. Wedding Mario, who is an alt costume, has a Fighter spirit which doesn’t have gameplay features. We don’t have a Tails character but we do have a Tails spirit. It just doesn’t work out that way.

It’s perfectly fine for you to believe that a Spirit can become a playable fighter but don’t confuse that opinions as a proven fact because it isn’t. We don’t have any confirmation that a spirit can become a playable character and trying to spread that they actually can as a proven fact is misleading and false.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
It would be nice to have Tails. Nintendo really needs to come out an announce something. All of these speculations are really annoying.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know why Sonic characters are being held back, maybe out of politeness for the other companies, I don't know. And I severely doubt that Olympics game coming next year will compensate for that.

All of these speculations are really annoying.
This, a thousand times. No offense, but I've gone to the point where I don't care who gets revealed next, as long as someone gets shut up.

At least Joker's releasing any day this month now...

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I don't know why Sonic characters are being held back, maybe out of politeness for the other companies, I don't know. And I severely doubt that Olympics game coming next year will compensate for that.

This, a thousand times. No offense, but I've gone to the point where I don't care who gets revealed next, as long as someone gets shut up.

At least Joker's releasing any day this month now...
I don't blame you. If nothing else, I look forward to an end to the endless bickering of "My character is better than your character." Speculation and making predictions can be fun and lead to some interesting conversations, but no we've devolved into a myriad of fake text leaks, blurry hoax photos and pointless quoting of random people on social media to prop up or tear down characters. What really gets me is all the baseless claims that is expected to be believed as fact when there isn't any evidence to support it or actual evidence exists to debunk it. It's getting rather stale now and the drought of any sort of info, including anything concrete on the character that is supposed to be available this month, has just dragged on too long.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
It is also frustrated that Nintendo is asking people to invest money on DLC when only 1 character is announced to date. It also has me worried that we won't have the DLC completed this year (I could be wrong). It is basically like a Kickstarter investment to buy the DLC pack. I really wish they could throw in something more to the purchasers (like a Tails and Knuckles Mii costume :))

Top Bottom