• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the New Stage Select Screen (Order)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
just got to memorize it. it's not a prob to complain about and it only takes 10 seconds to scan the roster and find anyone

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Didn't he said you can change the order of the character and stage select screens, or am I not remembering it right?

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
i never got why this was ever an idea taken into consideration by more than five people at nintendo.

i mean i know where to find :ultness:, but it makes little sense to me why it's sorted by reveal. if my friend is trying to find his main :ultike:, he isn't going to know he has to look for the rest of the melee fighters to find him. he has only ever played sm4sh. besides, he loves fire emblem and loves the rest of the fighters from that franchise equally. i can't imagine him having to search the entire screen just to find all the fighters he wants to play.
Exactly. Nobody who isn't die hard for this game is going to understand stuff like that. People shouldn't have to scavenge the Melee section for ten seconds just to find Ike. It will make more sense to people if it was a Fire Emblem section.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, for both the character select screen AND the stage select screen, I was actually really hoping they'd give players an option to either sort it by series (like the website allows you to, at least for characters), or better yet, allow people to sort it themselves however they want it. It can't be that difficult to implement, right? Maybe once the final DLC pack drops they'll release an update to allow for any of this.

For stages it should be easy really, just make different tabs for each of the games: Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Smash 4 (maybe even seperating 3DS and Wii U). This in itself will keep each stage still sorted by series, but also by Smash game, which will still be good for people who will be playing Ultimate for the first time as eventually they'll still know where each stage is located, AND it won't look as overwhelming to be presented with the overly full stage select screen.

i never got why this was ever an idea taken into consideration by more than five people at nintendo.

i mean i know where to find :ultness:, but it makes little sense to me why it's sorted by reveal. if my friend is trying to find his main :ultike:, he isn't going to know he has to look for the rest of the melee fighters to find him. he has only ever played sm4sh. besides, he loves fire emblem and loves the rest of the fighters from that franchise equally. i can't imagine him having to search the entire screen just to find all the fighters he wants to play.
Well maybe your friend should look with the Brawl cast, as that's where Ike debuted. If you're looking for Melee Fire Emblem, you're just going to find Marth and Roy. And their echoes I guess. :p
But yes, this is kind of even more an issue as the roster keeps filling up with each unlock and making you have to find your character all over again. But at least once everyone is unlocked, that's not going to be an issue anymore and it shouldn't be too difficult to find him again if played frequently enough.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
For stages it should be easy really, just make different tabs for each of the games: Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Smash 4 (maybe even seperating 3DS and Wii U). This in itself will keep each stage still sorted by series, but also by Smash game, which will still be good for people who will be playing Ultimate for the first time as eventually they'll still know where each stage is located, AND it won't look as overwhelming to be presented with the overly full stage select screen.
I never thought to use tabs to sort the stages before. It actually sounds like a good idea, but I still think there needs to be franchise organization or at least a favorites section.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The stage selection is fine, since stages are in order of when they released versus what series they're from, which is easier to remember. And since we unlock all stages from the start, I get to edit the random stage select right away.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The stage selection is fine, since stages are in order of when they released versus what series they're from, which is easier to remember. And since we unlock all stages from the start, I get to edit the random stage select right away.
How is it easier since you still have to memorize the series order? You just have to memorize two orders.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
How is it easier since you still have to memorize the series order? You just have to memorize two orders.
I meant from what Smash game they're in. Grouping some of the stages together is nice, but remembering what game they initially came in is better, since it feels more nostalgic. All of the 64 stages grouped together, then the Melee stages, etc.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I meant from what Smash game they're in. Grouping some of the stages together is nice, but remembering what game they initially came in is better, since it feels more nostalgic. All of the 64 stages grouped together, then the Melee stages, etc.
Nostalgic...if you can actually remember that or were even around for them.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Nostalgic...if you can actually remember that or were even around for them.
(Mainly Brawl nostalgia because I had the most fun on that one).

Honestly it's just better than to see all of the Mario stages up on top, then realize Mario has a ton of stages compared to Zelda or DK, which have a good amount of stage worthy locations. It doesn't help that they brough back all of the generic Mario overworld stages, too.

Whatever the reason may be, I like the new stage order better.

Arthur97

Smash Master
(Mainly Brawl nostalgia because I had the most fun on that one).

Honestly it's just better than to see all of the Mario stages up on top, then realize Mario has a ton of stages compared to Zelda or DK, which have a good amount of stage worthy locations. It doesn't help that they brough back all of the generic Mario overworld stages, too.

Whatever the reason may be, I like the new stage order better.
So you like it better because you don't like being reminded that Mario is more important than petty much every other series?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So you like it better because you don't like being reminded that Mario is more important than petty much every other series?
(Ok so I clicked the alert and it diverted me to a 'you won a prize' ad by google what is going on with my computer, sorry it took forever to respond)

Ish. It's one issue that bothers me, but not too much. It's not a super big problem, but it was a bit weird to see all of the Mario stages stacked on top of each other and then suddenly everything else was a hodgepodge of randomness, for the most part. I like this new method of organization since there's no way to order dates wrong.

Anyways, how come you seem to be so inquisitive on why I like the new stage order?

Arthur97

Smash Master
(Ok so I clicked the alert and it diverted me to a 'you won a prize' ad by google what is going on with my computer, sorry it took forever to respond)

Ish. It's one issue that bothers me, but not too much. It's not a super big problem, but it was a bit weird to see all of the Mario stages stacked on top of each other and then suddenly everything else was a hodgepodge of randomness, for the most part. I like this new method of organization since there's no way to order dates wrong.

Anyways, how come you seem to be so inquisitive on why I like the new stage order?
Honestly, the last one just seemed a little petty to get jealous or salty that Mario of all things had a lot of stages. If anything, they may have held back on Mario content.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
And everything is just as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Getting extremely painful headaches after just five seconds of looking at those abominations that persisted for minutes after I could finally take my eyes off them. Smash Ultimate is now unplayable in its current state.

Guess I'm either waiting for mods or waiting for Sakurai to fix his mess.

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Really doesn't matter to me. Stage and Character select take a minute at most and searching by series allows me to observe things I've never tried such as the 3ds stages.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I don't mind it too much but I wish there was an option to separate the stages under different menus and sort the menus by each game they came from... I'm guessing they didn't choose to do that though because some series don't get stages for every game (like how there's no DK stage from Smash 4) and also it'd highlight the lack of new stages for Ultimate...

... but it is kind of difficult trying to find certain stages at this point, maybe once I get more used to it it'll be easier...

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
It's literally a physical pain on my brain to look at them. I mind a lot that this organization is being forced down our throats. Back to Melee (again). It sucks because this one was actually looking to be pretty good, and I'm not saying that just because Pichu is in it.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
And everything is just as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Getting extremely painful headaches after just five seconds of looking at those abominations that persisted for minutes after I could finally take my eyes off them. Smash Ultimate is now unplayable in its current state.

Guess I'm either waiting for mods or waiting for Sakurai to fix his mess.
little bit over reacting

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Isnt there any option to make this to pages instead? Like Page 1: N64, Page 2: Melee etc?

Because i can barely see what the stages are supposed to be.

Last edited:

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
No matter what screen I've played Ultimate on already, it is extremely hard to make out what stage is what, so I just tend to random it

That being said, I can instantly recognise all of the Pokemon stages

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Nobody who isn't die hard for this game is going to understand stuff like that. People shouldn't have to scavenge the Melee section for ten seconds just to find Ike. It will make more sense to people if it was a Fire Emblem section.
Good thing Ike debuted in Smash Brow Brawl, so they don't have to scavenge the Melee section. I'm just being a pain, but yeah, not a big fan of how they decided to sort characters this time around.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Good thing Ike debuted in Smash Brow Brawl, so they don't have to scavenge the Melee section. I'm just being a pain, but yeah, not a big fan of how they decided to sort characters this time around.
I didn't know when Ike debuted. I don't main him and I barely played Brawl or Sm4sh.

I just went along with what Sans3546 Sans3546 said in his post.

Last edited:

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
speaking of tagging me, it has become increasingly hard by the day to find anything. stages are way too difficult to find on the select screen in this game. we shouldn't have to do a game of intense mental gymnastics to find a stage we want to fight on. well, i guess it's time i depart smash ultimate back to smash 4. the three days i spent with smash ultimate was a constant shuffle between mental nightmares and fun game play. i did not enjoy this game for this reason and this reason alone.

for the record, me and my friend couldn't find :ultike: after five minutes of searching for him yesterday, and this is my friend's main, so it means the world to him. i know i have him because i beat him in a challenger approach fight the day of smash ultimate's release. the character select screen isn't any better than the stage select screen.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
After a generous twenty hours, I can honestly see Smash 4 veterans turning back to Smash 4, and can also see newcomers never picking up another Smash game again over this seemingly minuscule detail.
It's literally a physical pain on my brain to look at them. I mind a lot that this organization is being forced down our throats. Back to Melee (again). It sucks because this one was actually looking to be pretty good, and I'm not saying that just because Pichu is in it.
speaking of tagging me, it has become increasingly hard by the day to find anything. stages are way too difficult to find on the select screen in this game. we shouldn't have to do a game of intense mental gymnastics to find a stage we want to fight on. well, i guess it's time i depart smash ultimate back to smash 4. the three days i spent with smash ultimate was a constant shuffle between mental nightmares and fun game play. i did not enjoy this game for this reason and this reason alone.
Looks like this comment aged well.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if that's keeping you from playing I don't know what to say, it is such a minor complaint that you would adapt to with time anyway

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why it's important for Sakurai and the team of the game to sort the characters and stages only by the time the things were introduced. Just add a button there, sort by series or sort by introduced order. It's such a simple thing. The game already have a lot of customization options for many things, but for such a basic feature, it doesnt have. It will not make people any mad if they can choose what they preffer.

Anyway, even if it was entirely aleatory, no order at all, neither for series, neither for alphabetic order of the name of the stage, or anything else, it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. It's some bad decision not allowing people to choose the organization for such huge lists of characters and stages But the stages are there, the characters too, and the amount of them avaiable is just superior to any problem or not proper organizatioon.. so, to me, this is not a deal breaker at all.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
if that's keeping you from playing I don't know what to say, it is such a minor complaint that you would adapt to with time anyway
It's a flaw with game design. People are turning back already to the game they came from over this detail.

How hard is it for Sakurai to allow us to customize our stuff?

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice

for the record, me and my friend couldn't find :ultike: after five minutes of searching for him yesterday, and this is my friend's main, so it means the world to him. i know i have him because i beat him in a challenger approach fight the day of smash ultimate's release. the character select screen isn't any better than the stage select screen.
I agree that finding characters and stages can be hard, but I think it's kind of a dumb reason to not want to play the game anymore. I mean you couldn't find Ike after five minutes of searching for him and that is supposed to be your friends main? Finding a character isn't THAT hard, I mean there's only like 7 humans in the game with blue hair, it's not like the entire roster looks exactly the same. And I mean would it have been that hard to look up which game Ike was from, or I mean if he was really your main you should've known what game he debuted in. It's not like some top secret hidden information.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's a flaw with game design. People are turning back already to the game they came from over this detail.

How hard is it for Sakurai to allow us to customize our stuff?
I don't know about that, but this game does sometimes feel...a bit rough maybe. Like how cumbersome it can be to change rules.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I don't know about that, but this game does sometimes feel...a bit rough maybe. Like how cumbersome it can be to change rules.
It’s way too hard of a rule change. Those who started less than 13 years ago (Smash Brawl, 4, and Ultimate) don’t have the experience and emotional connections that long term Smash 64 and Melee players do. It is hurting more people than it is helping people, and atleast one of them apparently is physically unable to take in the new stuff.

What good is a pencil if you can’t find the paper you need to write on? What good is a screw if you can’t find the right screwdriver in your toolbox? What good is digital file organization if you can’t find the files you’re looking for? Things can’t be used if their necessary components can’t be found. Likewise, some people are rightfully asking themselves what good is this game if you can’t find the fighters and stages you want to use in any given scenario?

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
It’s way too hard of a rule change. Those who started less than 13 years ago (Smash Brawl, 4, and Ultimate) don’t have the experience and emotional connections that long term Smash 64 and Melee players do. It is hurting more people than it is helping people, and atleast one of them apparently is physically unable to take in the new stuff.

What good is a pencil if you can’t find the paper you need to write on? What good is a screw if you can’t find the right screwdriver in your toolbox? What good is digital file organization if you can’t find the files you’re looking for? Things can’t be used if their necessary components can’t be found. Likewise, some people are rightfully asking themselves what good is this game if you can’t find the fighters and stages you want to use in any given scenario?
For me it looks like you are making a tempest in a teapot. It's not that hard to remember where your mains are and once you find it, it's auto selected for all the next matches, unless you want to change character at every match. And with time you will remember all the positions of your mains, so it's not a real problem too.
The stage list is more problematic, but again, it's not that hard to find them. 5 minutes to find a stage? It never took more than some seconds to me, more than I used to spend on the WiiU game, but anyway, it's the cost to have so many stages.

It's almost like complain: Jesus, I have so much money, I dont even know how to store it! When I had less money I was more happy!

I agree that organization options would be better, but not a dealbreaker at the point of refuse to play. It is a problem, but not so much of a problem... well, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master

I think it suffers from pandering too much to the competitive community, several of which may not even know much about their mains so they don't really care about the series.
For me it looks like you are making a tempest in a teapot. It's not that hard to remember where your mains are and once you find it, it's auto selected for all the next matches, unless you want to change character at every match. And with time you will remember all the positions of your mains, so it's not a real problem too.
The stage list is more problematic, but again, it's not that hard to find them. 5 minutes to find a stage? It never took more than some seconds to me, more than I used to spend on the WiiU game, but anyway, it's the cost to have so many stages.

It's almost like complain: Jesus, I have so much money, I dont even know how to store it! When I had less money I was more happy!

I agree that organization options would be better, but not a dealbreaker at the point of refuse to play. It is a problem, but not so much of a problem... well, at least in my opinion.
It's a bit more of an issue if you're like me and like to play variety.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
okay, gave the game a second chance a bit ago, and i found out that because ness is the first character unlock that i don't have to unlock everyone. also, i will also never have to enable anything other than battlefield and final destination forms ever again for competitive play. thank god there is hope for people to play this game without having to look at the abominations.

Top Bottom