• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the actual ARMS

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It took 76 characters but we finally got a stance change character that doesn't involve a full blown transformation in Smash. Question is, how will each of them hold up?

The Ram Ram looks like it'll be excellent for gimping recoveries but I haven't seen enough of the others to form an opinion.

Do you think that they'll all have their uses or will there be one that reigns over the others?

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I think ram ram will be the best by far. Best anti airing, ledgetrapping, edge guarding and speed while it simultaneously covers the biggest blind spots Min Min has.

After that’s dragon. Stupid range, second fastest, grab power up (though TBF that dragon can’t be equipped) and slightly stronger than ram ram if slower.

Last and certainly least, we have mega watt. It’s the slowest, has the least maneuverability, the least range and isn’t even that impressive strength wise. For anything other than reads and shield breaks, this arm stinks.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I was kind of thinking Mega Watt would be useful for KO'ing at least, but speed usually rules in Smash, huh.

The speed of Ram Ram will be crucial then. It's got a lot of potential.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ram Ram will likely be good as a combo starter, while megawatt is definitely good for going for kills.

SHNair Ram Ram will be used a lot on the ground in neutral at low %s, while I can see people using Megawatt to set up for kills in advantage. Perhaps offstage kills (assuming the end lag isn't suicidal for Min Min)

The dragons will be entirely zone based and seems the best options for 2 framing since they cover the most distance. I can imagine she'd be one of the best characters for ledge trapping since she can stand at a safe distance and can switch things up depending on her Arm that's equipped. Which also allows her to react to different options from the other fighter getting back on the stage.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
What I want to know is if RamRam Nair and Megawatt Nair will have different launch angles, as well as the Dragon Nair but this one is available at all times. The speed of the RamRam will definitely be interesting in neutral, but I think that the Megawatt Nair can be interesting as well for it's range and long lasting hitbox.

Also, I wonder if dragon's lasers can go through walls and the ground. The laser hitbox seems to be active for several frames so it can be something really good for some edeguards.

There's still a lot to discover, such as the landing lags, but I already love the flexibility given in the design.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Ram Ram seems the best at covering one of Min Min's supposed biggest weaknesses, the aerial blindspot. Knowing how speed often dominates in Smash, this may well end up being the most used one, especially in bad match-ups.

Dragon I can see being good against bigger and slower targets especially. Double Dragon will probably have some good frame trapping potential: Force them to air dodge the first laser and then hit them with the other (preferrably the buffed left).

Megawatt is obviously good for free-for-alls, hard reads and shieldbreak punishes, but I think it might also destroy linear horizontal recoveries or ones that don't snap to the ledge. We'll see.

It's probably nothing special since Sakurai didn't demo it, but I wonder how the different ARMS will interact with each other. It would be interesting if the heavy class Megawatt would blow through the others.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's probably nothing special since Sakurai didn't demo it, but I wonder how the different ARMS will interact with each other. It would be interesting if the heavy class Megawatt would blow through the others.
This is something I curious about as well, how they interact with each others, but also simply with normal attacks (Marth sword for example) considering clang mechanics. Especially when you can leave the ground when you like during tilts. Will they fall down as if it hit a shield? While it have priority? Will RamRam and Megawatt behave differently?

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
Last and certainly least, we have mega watt. It’s the slowest, has the least maneuverability, the least range and isn’t even that impressive strength wise. For anything other than reads and shield breaks, this arm stinks.
I know Sakurai said it has the least range, but I’m figuring he was referring to it’s bend not actual extended range. It doesn’t have a lot of bending in either direction compared to the other arms (which is true to it’s original game), but the game extended range looks the same as other other arms.

I see it being a large, lingering hitbox for catching rolls / techs (based on the presentation, megawatt looks like it’s active for a while), as well as being decent up close because it wouldn’t take as long to extend and retract.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Megawatt is so slow I think it may be a good tool for ledge coverage.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I imaging everyone will just stick to the default Ramram/Dragon combo. The Ramram covers the most space and negates most of Min Min's weaknesses, and the Dragon would help fill in the gaps and give just a little more punch. Megawatt's too slow to be used practically one-on-one, but it's probably reign supreme in chaotic free-for-all matches.
Guess I know what I'll be using most.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is like asking which Pokemon in Trainer's lineup is most valuable. Fact is switching has next to zero commitment, making it really easy to switch arms for even the mundane purpose of just throwing off an opponent's defensive timing, and making sure the necessary piece is only out when it is needed and not a liability.

Ramram may be the most consistent option in neutral and low percent combos, but it doesn't look like it will ever kill anything except the weakest of recoveries. Kind of like Squirtle.

Megavolt may be easily dodged and punished raw, but using other arms and moves to condition can give you an opening to quickly swap and punch for bigger punishes. And considering Min-Min will likely not be big on combos, it will be in her interest to also find opportunities to use it for bigger damage. (Charizard)

Dragon is the most consistent zoning option with decent power, but is more conditional when it comes to killing (again relying on gimps, edgeguarding or throw power-ups for on-stage killing). Like Ivysaur.

Last edited:

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
Can we cut the bs and just be straight up about something? Moves or attacks in the vein of Megawatt (big, slow, lingering, moves) are the type of moves that just catch people off guard and body basically everyone, despite unfavorable frame data or people saying the move is bad or impractical because it’s too slow. This is true for basically every fighting game, not just smash.

What I’m basically saying is, yeah Megawatt is gonna be a read (or in this case, a possible mix up since Min Min can throw arms near simultaneously) but I wouldn’t write the arm off as bad, impractical, situational, etc., just yet. I have a feeling it’s gonna be a lot better in action than it looks on paper, and is going to catch a lot of bodies...especially considering the move itself is long range, which means it has significantly lower risk to just throw out there than other moves of it’s kind (also, online lol).

Everyone expects fast near unreactable moves, no one expects (and damn near gets startled against) slow moves. It seems silly in theory, but it’s true in practice.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Can we cut the bs and just be straight up about something? Moves or attacks in the vein of Megawatt (big, slow, lingering, moves) are the type of moves that just catch people off guard and body basically everyone, despite unfavorable frame data or people saying the move is bad or impractical because it’s too slow. This is true for basically every fighting game, not just smash.
What I’m basically saying is, yeah Megawatt is gonna be a read (or in this case, a possible mix up since Min Min can throw arms near simultaneously) but I wouldn’t write the arm off as bad, impractical, situational, etc., just yet. I have a feeling it’s gonna be a lot better in action than it looks on paper, and is going to catch a lot of bodies...especially considering the move itself is long range, which means it has significantly lower risk to just throw out there than other moves of it’s kind (also, online lol).

Everyone expects fast near unreactable moves, no one expects (and damn near gets startled against) slow moves. It seems silly in theory, but it’s true in practice.
No doubt.

Megawatt, I'm sort of equating to Megaman's fsmash. It's got similar speed and power. It can be good for catching landings as well as punishing possible shieldbreaks and because it can be used in the air, it'll be great for edgeguarding. Nair Megawatt (depending on it's endlag if Min Min can recover quickly) maybe pretty deadly offstage.

I think it's moreso the Ramram is just objectively better in pretty much every way, except for killing. Dragon has a longer reach with it's laser and seems better for catching 2 frames, so in comparison it's bad, but that doesn't mean it's without it's uses. The problem is that people notice is that it's easier to telegraph, but of course even the slower attacks can catch people off guard, otherwise we'd never see Ganon's utilt ever land.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No doubt.

Megawatt, I'm sort of equating to Megaman's fsmash. It's got similar speed and power. It can be good for catching landings as well as punishing possible shieldbreaks and because it can be used in the air, it'll be great for edgeguarding. Nair Megawatt (depending on it's endlag if Min Min can recover quickly) maybe pretty deadly offstage.

I think it's moreso the Ramram is just objectively better in pretty much every way, except for killing. Dragon has a longer reach with it's laser and seems better for catching 2 frames, so in comparison it's bad, but that doesn't mean it's without it's uses. The problem is that people notice is that it's easier to telegraph, but of course even the slower attacks can catch people off guard, otherwise we'd never see Ganon's utilt ever land.
Don't forget damage. That can be a two-fold weakness, not only giving combo-proficient or high-damage characters more time to turn things around with well-placed starters or hits if over-relied on, but it can also make Ramram the worst arm to hit shields with; we know they just flop to the ground when all arms hit shields like they do in the source material. Ramram may be great at catching jump-ins, but what do you do when they stop doing that?

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
A charged megawatt to me is like Ridley's or Byleth's down B.

Everyone will tell you to never use it because it's super punishable and readable, but when you throw it out randomly and catch someone who wasn't expecting it to win a set, it's one of the best feelings out there. There's no way I won't go for the big read and try to land it lol

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
Megawatt is real in practice. Also A+B smash is near godlike, almost no one is ready for it.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm also surprised by how much impact Megawatt can have. I think ramram can be more devastating early on and to gimp certain recoveries, but elsewhere megawatt is much better.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I only played against the cpu and a friend but Damn, is Min Min a little OP.
The ram ram is great for beggining damage, and to keep people off the stage. Then the megawatt is easy to read but deadly over 50 at the sides. Her up smash isn[t a launcher but goes above the platform just enough. down tilt is a sneaky move. Her throw is weird, you have to commit to it, or it won[t turn. But her backwards throw suplex, is a godsend. I can definitely see her getting nerfed a bit. I still think she[s my second favorite character to play from the dlc( Terry is no1, Banjo was my most wanted but isn[t that great)

Dibble

Smash Cadet
I do have to agree; it seems like people were too quick to dismiss Megawatt. I don't have the exact numbers, but Megawatt neutral air does kill at decently high percents, and one can always make up for it's slowness with the left dragon arm if need be.
As a Ridley main however, I do have to say that Ram Ram is the go-to ARM for dealing with big guys.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ram Ram I would say is the best edge guarding tool while Dragon is good for easy kills when you opponent is far off stage. Megawatt is harder to land on the faster/smaller characters, but it is useful against the heavyweights when you know when to time it just right: *Insert Pacha meme here with Min Min doing the Pacha just right pose*

Top Bottom