• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on: Should Hatsune Miku be an assist trophy (thus eliminating her from being playable) instead of a playable character?

Should Hatsune Miku be an assist trophy (thus eliminating her from being playable) instead of a play

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Hatsune Miku has been another one of those non-video game characters who has been highly requested to be playable along with Goku. However, although vocaloid has had a semi-myriad of video games, Hatsune Miku doesn't originate from a video game. Which is why she shouldn't be playable, and I don't want her to be playable.

However, In my opinion, Hatsune Miku should be an assist trophy and not/never playable to represennt Vocaloid. But why? Due to being a non-videogame character, she cannot be playable, or even have a homestage. But due to her significant videogame history, it would be nice to have her has an assist trophy, and forever leave Vocaloid with a franchise without any playable characters.

On the bright side, fans who are against Hatsune Miku from being playable, some will feel glad that she isn't a playable character. While others may still have to deal with her at least being in Smash. But those who support Hatsune Miku, may be dissappointed.

My question to you is, do you think that Hatsune Miku should be an assist trophy instead of a playable character? and why?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Being an Assist won't satisfy those who want her playable. Being in the game at all won't satisfy those who want the series to stick to video game characters.

The solution is to not include her, or other non-game characters, in any capacity.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well, first off, you got the gender wrong. Like Opossum said, the solution in this case is to just not include her at all.
I've already fixed the title of this thread.
Being an Assist won't satisfy those who want her playable. Being in the game at all won't satisfy those who want the series to stick to video game characters.

The solution is to not include her, or other non-game characters, in any capacity.
Being an assist trophy can be a step to becoming a playable character. However, Sakurai can just repeatedly reject fans request to make Hatsune Miku a playable character. And keep her as an assist trophy.

How would fans react to Hatsune Miku being an assist trophy? And why is your opinion to not have her playable nor as an assist trophy?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've already fixed the title of this thread.

Being an assist trophy can be a step to becoming a playable character. However, Sakurai can just repeatedly reject fans request to make Hatsune Miku a playable character. And keep her as an assist trophy.

How would fans react to Hatsune Miku being an assist trophy? And why is your opinion to not have her playable nor as an assist trophy?
Because making her an Assist literally pleases no one.

Why go through the licensing hassles of getting a non-video game character if you're just going to make them an Assist? It's not worth the cost, and loses focus on what Smash is about: video games. The time developing an Assist for Miku could be better spent making an Assist of, say, a Nintendo character, which is both easier from a licensing standpoint, as well as more in line with Smash's core philosophy.

D

Deleted member

The real question we should be asking ourselves is who would make a better Domino's rep, Hatsune Miku or the Noid?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
No.

Characters who originate from non-video game series should not be in Smash in any capacity... ever.

Not as a character... not as an assist trophy... just... no.

Vistra31

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vistra9000
3DS FC
4038-6222-6181
Switch FC
SW-2087-0604-7226
We already got Callie and Marie as an assist. No need for more J-pop.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Why go through the licensing hassles of getting a non-video game character if you're just going to make them an Assist? It's not worth the cost, and loses focus on what Smash is about: video games. The time developing an Assist for Miku could be better spent making an Assist of, say, a Nintendo character, which is both easier from a licensing standpoint, as well as more in line with Smash's core philosophy.
She's not a video game character. She shouldn't even be considered for Smash.
Well, Hatsune Miku has been deconfirmed since Brawl, but having Hatsune Miku as an assist trophy will make certain detractors happy, cause at least Vocaloid is being represented, while other detractors will be upset that she's in Smash. And in fact, Hatsune Miku, along with Goku merit to be assist trophies and never playable, due to their myriads of videogames. But she cannot be playable due to Sakurai's rule of only videogame characters are allowed to be playable.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well, Hatsune Miku has been deconfirmed since Smash 64, but having Hatsune Miku as an assist trophy will make certain detractors happy, cause at least Vocaloid is being represented, while other detractors will be upset that she's in Smash. And in fact, Hatsune Miku, along with Goku merit to be assist trophies and never playable, due to their myriads of videogames. But she cannot be playable due to Sakurai's rule of only videogame characters are allowed to be playable.
Miku wasn’t even a bloody thing during the time of Smash 64. They’re both, like, 8 years apart, with Miku hailing from 2007.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see the purpose of these threads you keep opening. If a character doesn't fit into Smash, they won't be in Smash. That's it. They don't need to assign another role to them in a convoluted attempt to try and avoid making them playable.

Also, we do have characters who don't originate from a video game but designed to work with them but that's another story.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Technically nothing. They're both video game characters. There's no ambiguity about Wii Sports or the NES. They're not famous musicians, anime characters, celebrity actors, or what have you. There's absolutely a line between ROB in Smash and Chuck Norris in Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Technically nothing. They're both video game characters. There's no ambiguity about Wii Sports or the NES. They're not famous musicians, anime characters, celebrity actors, or what have you. There's absolutely a line between ROB in Smash and Chuck Norris in Smash.
Miis debuted in Mii Channel, not Wii Sports. An app, not a video game. And R.O.B. still isn't a video game character, he's a peripheral.

If you bothered to read my post properly, you'd see I wasn't talking about just any figure, but specifically the ones that created to work with video games (Wii games and Stack-Up/Gyromite).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't see the purpose of these threads you keep opening. If a character doesn't fit into Smash, they won't be in Smash. That's it. They don't need to assign another role to them in a convoluted attempt to try and avoid making them playable.
Well, as I've mentioned before, I think 4th party franchises can only be represented in Smash if they have significant videogame history, and it should be limited to only assist trophies and spirits.

Also assist trophies aren't playable and they don't join the battle. Which is why it's okay for Hatsune Miku to be an assist trophy and never playable.

Since Brawl, many fans have complained that many of the assist trophy choices are silly, such as Waluigi, Bomberman, Knuckles, Zero (Mega Man), and Ashley, and instead make them playable characters. However, having Hatsune Miku as an assist trophy wouldn't be silly despite being iconic because she's not videogame characters, but has a plentiful amount of videogame series.

There have also been plenty of other assist trophies that can't be promoted to playable characters, some that aren't even characters at all, such as Color TV Game 15.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, as I've mentioned before, I think 4th party franchises can only be represented in Smash if they have significant videogame history, and it should be limited to only assist trophies and spirits.

Also assist trophies aren't playable and they don't join the battle. Which is why it's okay for Hatsune Miku to be an assist trophy and never playable.

Since Brawl, many fans have complained that many of the assist trophy choices are silly, such as Waluigi, Bomberman, Knuckles, Zero (Mega Man), and Ashley, and instead make them playable characters. However, having Hatsune Miku as an assist trophy wouldn't be silly despite being iconic because she's not videogame characters, but has a plentiful amount of videogame series.

There have also been plenty of other assist trophies that can't be promoted to playable characters, some that aren't even characters at all, such as Color TV Game 15.
Having Hatsune Miku appear on New Pork City in a match between Link and Pac-Man would absolutely wreck Smash's theming: video games. They aren't going to add something that clashes so badly with the themes of the franchise, no matter the capacity.

Keep non-video game characters ("4th party" is a dumb term that makes zero sense if you actually think about its implications) out of the game. They don't need a consolation prize; they should be ignored entirely.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
User was warned for this post
Oh no, not again!

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Miis debuted in Mii Channel, not Wii Sports. An app, not a video game. And R.O.B. still isn't a video game character, he's a peripheral.
An app and a peripheral that were made for gaming audiences on gaming consoles.

That makes a huge difference.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
No. She is not a video game character. Please stop.

Neither. She did not originate from a video game. Your belief that "4th party" characters deserve representation for having "significant" history in video games is shared by very few people. This has been discussed in several of your threads and the same explanation has been provided every. Single. Time. Having a NVGC in the game would ruin the core foundation of Smash, one of the only rules the game developers follow by these days.

And on another note Smash doesn't need a J-pop anime girl with ridiculous bodily proportions to be fighting. That would....not bode well for the internet.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend

Neither. She did not originate from a video game. Your belief that "4th party" characters deserve representation for having "significant" history in video games is shared by very few people. This has been discussed in several of your threads and the same explanation has been provided every. Single. Time. Having a NVGC in the game would ruin the core foundation of Smash, one of the only rules the game developers follow by these days.

And on another note Smash doesn't need a J-pop anime girl with ridiculous bodily proportions to be fighting. That would....not bode well for the internet.
Well, knowing him, chances are he’s just going to keep doing it. If he can’t learn from this, I think the logical option at this point is to just ban him.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well, knowing him, chances are he’s just going to keep doing it. If he can’t learn from this, I think the logical option at this point is to just ban him.
That's a bit extreme. There's discussion, albeit somewhat pointless discussion, but still discussion here. As long is nothing is deliberate spam I think it's OK.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

TBH, I can see an argument for 4th party, but I believe it is very situational. I believe that characters that originate from film or tv or whatever can be used as long as they are connected to a video game franchise. An obvious example is Ash Ketchum as he originated from the anime, but I’d honestly prefer him to be the Pokemon Trainer in Smash over Red as he is the most recognizable Pokemon character even though he isn’t even a game character. Other examples would be Escargoon from Kirby Right Back At Ya, Leo Luster from the DKC cartoon, many Sonic characters, or even more “mascot style” characters like Captain N.

These characters do have history with the companies and the franchises represented in Smash, so I wouldn’t mind it. I feel the cut off is before characters like Wreck-It Ralph, as while he does speak to many characters, he isn’t involved enough in any company or gaming franchise to warrant being playable or represented. Wreck-It-Ralph is a franchise that includes or has had cross-overs with others, Ash is a part of a gaming franchise in a different medium, there’s a huge difference between cross over and being integrated into a gaming franchise.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
TBH, I can see an argument for 4th party, but I believe it is very situational. I believe that characters that originate from film or tv or whatever can be used as long as they are connected to a video game franchise. An obvious example is Ash Ketchum as he originated from the anime, but I’d honestly prefer him to be the Pokemon Trainer in Smash over Red as he is the most recognizable Pokemon character even though he isn’t even a game character. Other examples would be Escargoon from Kirby Right Back At Ya, Leo Luster from the DKC cartoon, many Sonic characters, or even more “mascot style” characters like Captain N.

These characters do have history with the companies and the franchises represented in Smash, so I wouldn’t mind it. I feel the cut off is before characters like Wreck-It Ralph, as while he does speak to many characters, he isn’t involved enough in any company or gaming franchise to warrant being playable or represented. Wreck-It-Ralph is a franchise that includes or has had cross-overs with others, Ash is a part of a gaming franchise in a different medium, there’s a huge difference between cross over and being integrated into a gaming franchise.
So are you implying that you would be OK with Wreck-It-Ralph in Smash? Just a little confused on your wording.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
So are you implying that you would be OK with Wreck-It-Ralph in Smash? Just a little confused on your wording.
No, I said the cut off would come before we even get to him as even though he has crossed over with many video game characters, he himself is a part of his own franchise and not a video game character. Wreck It Ralph should not be in Smash.

I just mentioned him because I felt that I needed to, seeing as Wreck it Ralph is big within gaming when it comes to cross overs, but there’s a huge distinction between him and say Ash who was made solely for Pokemon, or even Captain N who was created to market Nintendo. Wreck It Ralph is his own franchise that isn’t connected to any game franchise or company and could stand without the cross overs, so he shouldn’t be considered a gaming icon for Smash.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
This is common ****ing sense. Hatsune Miku is a 4th party character and a terrible choice as well. She can stay the **** outta this game and I will be satisfied.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
If we're looking for characters to dance around, I'd much rather have the Elite Beat Agents.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I guess i'm not really against it really but it just seems a little... Weird ? I really don't see it happening :T

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I just don't understand why we're having this conversation in the first place. Other than OP's policy idea that 4th parties should be in inf they have "significant" history with video games (an inherently flawed and crazy idea to begin with), is there a real reason why this character specifically should be in the game?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I just don't understand why we're having this conversation in the first place. Other than OP's policy idea that 4th parties should be in inf they have "significant" history with video games (an inherently flawed and crazy idea to begin with), is there a real reason why this character specifically should be in the game?
Can’t wait for this guy to do Spongebob next.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't think the idea is crazy. There are some 4th party character that I feel are significant to Nintendo's history, this just isn't one of them.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
My question to you is why do you even want this?

This is common ****ing sense. Hatsune Miku is a 4th party character and a terrible choice as well. She can stay the **** outta this game and I will be satisfied.
I read this in Gordon Ramsay's voice.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Neither.

Well, Smash has already lost focus once. Why don't we just shoot for pure anarchy?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The problem I have with characters being "significant" to video game history is that determining whether or not a character is "significant" enough to be in the game is completely subjective. There is no official guideline or status quo to decide if a fourth part character meets the level of "significance" that needs to be set if they're going to be in the game at all. Whereas it's a hundred times simpler to simple follow by the rules already set: If they're from a video game/related media (mii channel/gyromite seem to be the exceptions), they count. If they're not (Manga, TV show, literally someone's OC, etc.), they have no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom