• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Mewtwo's Tier Placement

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
This thread is to posit my hypothesis that the main reason Mewtwo is considered garbage tier is primarily due to his initial tier list ratings, and that a lot of what happened afterwards is largely a result of that.

A Brief History of Mewtwo in Competitive Smash
I started doing the Mewtwo gig way back in 2003, and I picked him up more as a joke character at the time. It wasn't until MOAST 3 (2005), after being told by Arash (best Bowser at the time) that my M2 was my best that I decided to main him for real. The only player at the time that I had to emulate was UmbreonMow (whom now goes by Umbreon), who was pretty much retired with M2 by the time I got serious. There existed one video of his M2 online, which was the basis for a lot of my play. Everything else I just had to piece together myself or from online chats with Umbreon.

I was a good player, especially considering I was from Mississippi, but honestly I was never great. I was never good enough to make an impact on any tier list. The sole representation for Mewtwo's early placement was riding on Umbreon, and if you ever talked to him he would tell you that Mewtwo was a pretty terrible character, and his opinion of Mewtwo only worsened over time seemingly.

In the very first tier list, Mewtwo was ranked last place. This makes sense, as Mewtwo is incredibly strange compared to the rest of the cast, and was the last character to be unlocked. I remember the first time I tried playing him in any real way, and it took me a while to find my rhythm with him. Seeing as the first tier list was released less than a year after melee's release, it's no wonder nobody was around to main him competitively. He was weird, and most players had picked their first main before he was even unlocked. Move forward a few tier lists and you see that Mewtwo gradually rises. I suspect this is due in large part by Umbreon and his opinion influencing the list. By 2005, the year I started working on Mewtwo, his slight rise in the list had reversed as he began to work his way back down to bottom again.

After Melee FC3 I was pretty much alone with Mewtwo. I had played Umbreon in dittos and bested him, and after that he gave the title of best Mewtwo over to me. Even then he had pretty much stopped playing Mewtwo for a while before we played each other there. There literally wasn't anyone else around that I knew of at my level, and only a handful of people that chatted Mewtwo with me. I was pretty much it. Just me, left alone, trying to etch out Mewtwo's metagame by myself. To make matters worse, my crew pretty much started dropping their interest in smash around this time. I did my best to stay relevant, but honestly I was quickly outpaced by the metagame. It wasn't until late 2005 that I started hearing rumors of Taj, and eventually began receiving harassment by Forward, a damn good AZ Falco player and friend of Taj, whom promoted Taj like crazy and loved to talk **** to me about being garbage.

2006 rolls around and Taj releases Shadow Claw. I remember being amazed by his play, but not wanting to admit it due to pride. He was so clearly better than me. He actually had what it took to make a dent in competitive smash with Mewtwo, and he did, albeit him being a dual main with Marth often overshadows the times his Mewtwo put in the actual work towards his success. Shortly after that a member of a sister crew in Memphis began maining Mewtwo and also did really well with him, Iori, but he retired a few years later. If you look at the tier lists from then on you see Mewtwo begin to rise again due to Taj's efforts, but now that Taj has retired, he has remained stagnant at the lower tiers.

Only recently has the Mewtwo community caught a glimpse of what he is capable of lately through the Japanese player Zoma, who seems to have picked up the torch where Taj left it. His play is clearly the next logical step in Mewtwo's meta, as he has further expanded on Mewtwo's amazing combo game, all kinds of amazing teleport tricks that are not gimmicky at all, and is simply damned good. For those who haven't seen him, find some of his latest videos and try not to be impressed by them.

A Quick Breakdown of the Tier Lists
I want to talk a bit about the early tier lists. Specifically the second one (Dec. 2002). The top 5 characters all had things that were a bit busted at low level play. Sheik had... well... everything. Fox was super fast with very powerful KO options, despite him also being the master of suicides. Falco had lasers and a super powerful spike. Peach had a downsmash that punished crouch canceling to an extreme degree. Lastly there is Marth, due to his disjointed sword. After that you have a bracket which includes all the marios + luigi, ganon, and Samus. With the exception of Samus (and Luigi to some extent) these characters were fairly easy to pick up and play. These characters made the top 10.

By the third tier list, a lot of positions began to solidify more. The top and upper tiers were considered to be legit viable, with some mid-tiers also being considered viable to some of the community. Bottom was considered trash. This was the tier list that was made after the arrival of Ken, and this was the point in which Mewtwo's fate was sealed to be considered low-tier. From this point on, major shifts were rarely made between characters.

Mewtwo VS The Characters Placed Above Him (2015 Tier List)

As I pointed out, Taj was a demi-god level player that, in his prime, was able to put a dent into the Melee gods. Using Taj as an example of Mewtwo's relative goodness, lets compare Mewtwo against all the characters that are currently ranked higher than him.

Roy hasn't has demi-god level representation since Neo back in the early to mid 2000s. Not only that, it's common knowledge about how susceptible he is to crouch cancels due to the poor damage and knockback on pretty much all his attacks. It also should be noted that Roy is a popular character, and has had a lot of representation in terms of players over the years. Lots of representation plus poor tournament performance indicates that he is not in the same realm as Mewtwo.

Game & Watch has never had demi-god level representation. There have been good G&W players, but they weren't on Taj's level nor had Taj's level of accomplishment.

Link has also pretty much never had demi-god level representation despite his popularity.

DK had some pretty good representation for a time. It was during my relative melee absence that DK started performing better than expected. So somewhere between 2007-2010 I believe. That said, it was very short lived, and DK was not making impacts in the smash scene like Taj was in 2010.

Young Link had Caveman. He's sorta in the same position as Roy in that was his only representation that was demi-god status, and Caveman sorta stopped being relevant shortly after Melee FC6. Armada brought out a YL to deal with Jigglypuff, but using this character against one matchup != the character being of high status overall.

Mario has seen decent representation over smash history, but honestly he rarely made demi-god level, and I am not aware of someone who has been as impactful as Taj during his time or after.

Ganon is the first character that comes into mind that begins to actually have a legit placement above Mewtwo. There have been a handful of excellent Ganon players throughout the years with demi-god level status. Kage comes to mind, being the beast of a Ganon during Taj's hayday, and pretty much everyone is aware of BizarroFlame.

While Luigi is above Ganon I honestly am a bit perplexed as to why. I think Luigi is a fairly solid character, but for the life of me I don't know many high level Luigi's that have made a huge impact in quite some time. I'm going to give this character the benefit of the doubt, though, and chalk this up to my lack of awareness rather than lack of actual representation.

Finally we arrive at Yoshi, which does have a main at demi-god level status. Then it's followed by Doc and Pika, which also have or have had mains relatively recently/presently that perform well enough to satisfy them being above Mewtwo.

So the question is, why are most of these characters above Mewtwo? As I pointed out, look at the old tier lists. All of the characters above Mewtwo started out higher than Mewtwo. It's only because Mewtwo was considered so bad ,so early, that people have been hesitant to move him up the drastic amount of placements required to actually represent what the character has been able to accomplish. If Mewtwo started in the middle, or was in the middle by the third or fourth tier list, he would not be so low, and would not have had to fought much to move up into a viable space due to Taj's representation.

Some Hypothetical Questions
My first question is, what if Taj didn't become a big deal in 2006, but started his rise in 2002? What if he was one of the OG players around the time of Ken's reign? How would the tier list look then, and how would that have shaped things now? I very much doubt he would be so low. Considering the fact that the data we currently have on Mewtwo's performance is that he can be used to demi-god skill level by 2010-2011 standards, there would be no reason to think that Mewtwo wouldn't have been considered good early on and up to those dates if someone of Taj's level existed in the early days. If Mewtwo had amazing early representation by a single high level player, he would have seen a surge in player representation, and he definitely would have ended up much higher on the list as a result. He would have likely ended up being in the high end of upper, and seeing as how the tier lists moved very slowly from this point on, Mewtwo would have likely been, at the worst, Ganon status today.

My second question is, what would Peach's placement on the tier list be if her down smash wasn't as good? What if it knocked players away instead of sucking them into her dress on a crouch cancel? One might think I'm joking about the down smash issue, but it literally was no joke in the early days. It was a big reason why so many people mained her. If Peach didn't have down smash, she would have been considered just as weird and off-putting as Mewtwo, despite the fact that she would still have been a great character. Nowadays, you rarely see down smash causing much problems in top level play because we've grown accustomed to dealing with it, but people have discovered all of the other things that make Peach great.

To take this point further, what if Armada didn't exist? Would Peach still be as high as she is now? I find it hard to believe that she would. I feel that, without Armada bolstering Peach's position, she would have started to drop placements and people would be highly questioning her viability.

I bring up Peach because I feel that Peach is the character with the most parallels with Mewtwo. I'm not saying that Mewtwo at Peach's level of goodness, but I'm pointing out that a character with similar characteristics sits quite highly, as well as pointing out how much early representation and a single person has affected Peach's position as a character.

Self Fulfilling Prophecies

Go to youtube. Find a video of a Mewtwo player playing another character. Look at the comments. You are likely to find that lots of people are likely making fun of the opponent if he/she loses to Mewtwo, and on the flip side if Mewtwo loses you will find tons of examples of people claiming that Mewtwo sucks. Go find videos of two high ranking characters. How often do you see people pointing out that one person lost purely due to character choice? Generally speaking that is only brought up if it's a known to be bad matchup. You also don't see people making fun of someone losing to Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, etc.

When everyone tells you that your character is trash, and points to your decision of character choice as the reason for a loss, it makes it very easy to believe it over long periods of time. Granted, that doesn't mean that the people saying this are wrong, but it doesn't mean they are right either. For example, I would try to convince Link/Roy/Kirby players not to main those characters because I feel that they have had enough of a player base matched with poor tournament representation to adequately show that they simply aren't that great. In contrast, Mewtwo has always had incredibly poor player representation despite having a solid player giving incredible representation.

This was the whole basis behind my old Mewtwo combo vid Believe In Yourself, because all of my losses were blamed on my character, and everyone told me I should switch despite not having better success with other characters. Over time, the grind of people telling me this got to me and I began to start blaming my losses on Mewtwo as well, when clearly Mewtwo was capable of bringing the pain as Taj has shown.

I have recently picked up Mewtwo again because of netplay, and now he performs as well as if not better than my Marth. I have found that I struggle in the exact same matchups as my Marth did, despite the popular belief that Mewtwo loses to pretty much all of the viable cast handedly. I have also found that there is quite a big stigma to playing Mewtwo, especially playing him well. Often times I am not taken seriously, and I must battle through a players lower tiered secondaries for the luxury to play their serious main. So many people get mad and tell me to play my “real main” because they assume I'm sand bagging. Sometimes players will start with their main, lose, and then switch to Marth or Fox because they think the matchup is so bad that it is an auto-win for them (Pro tip: it's not). I've had people, after playing several matches in which I would on average two stock them, tell me at the end that they “figured out the matchup” simply cause they might have taken me to my last stock a few times towards the end. I've had people stop playing me simply because they didn't want to play against Mewtwo, as he wasn't relevant in the tournament scene. I've also had so many rage quits and post-match salt fests monologues over how annoying it is to play me, how I'm not really that good, or insert any other John or slur here.

The psychological effects of maining a character ranked so lowly should not be discounted in this discussion. It greatly affects the player base of that character, and it is a barrier the community must overcome to ever see representation of a character fully in the current or future meta.

Closing Statements

My point with all this isn't to say that Mewtwo is viable, rather that he is potentially viable, and that his position on the tier list is not an accurate depiction of Mewtwo's actual status amongst the cast. Mewtwo has never been given the chance to be taken seriously due to his incredibly poor representation and quirkyness at the onset of the competitive smash community, and despite having a demi-god level representation for several years he has not been given the 'viable' stamp that characters like Yoshi and Pikachu have received, despite similar levels of high level representation. New players are actively discouraged at every corner from picking Mewtwo as a serious main, and those that do will feel discrimination from the community, likely forcing them to switch characters before they ever had the chance to perform well enough with him to question the collective ignorance on the character. The ability that Taj commanded alone shows that this character is not one to sleep on, and with Zoma's rise it shows that Mewtwo's development has a lot of room to grow.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm posting this here, as I want to fact check this some more, and have others look it over. I might submit this to be an article for the front page or something later.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
As ZeRo said "Dont play top tiers play characters that you like" or something like that.Even through Mewtwo dosent carry the viable "stamp" he still has potential.Like for me I play Lucina and take her serious and I'm taking local tournaments and getting 2-3 at state tournaments
Edit:And for tier he's is mid tier due to the reduce of ending lag.That will change after someone takes him seriously

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
ShadowKing ShadowKing
I'm talking about Melee Mewtwo, not Sm4sh Mewtwo (this is Melee Character Discussiong btw). Also, my point wasn't that people should play who they want, nor that "tiers don't exist", as much as it was pointing out the arbitrary nature of roughly half the tier list and how it has negatively affected Mewtwo, and he is likely viable and should be given more credit.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
ShadowKing ShadowKing
I'm talking about Melee Mewtwo, not Sm4sh Mewtwo (this is Melee Character Discussiong btw). Also, my point wasn't that people should play who they want, nor that "tiers don't exist", as much as it was pointing out the arbitrary nature of roughly half the tier list and how it has negatively affected Mewtwo, and he is likely viable and should be given more credit.
Oh lol didn't know anyways in Melee you need to space.He is for sure higher on the tier list due to having a great way edgeguard game

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
I haven't read all the interesting stuff you wrote yet, but I agree right off the bat.

There is a stigma that has not been lost since the early days of the tier lists, and now it's obsolete and undeserved. It's probably caused the massive lack of Mewtwo mains in the competitive scene to this day.

As far as I'm concerned Mewtwo is only where he's at because of his large frame and his low weight. This does make him easy to combo (even combos that only exists on big bodies like Bowser, Ganon, and Donkey Kong), but his recovery, movement, and range offset this IMO. He's at least deserving of mid tier, low-mid perhaps. Most his qualities are mid or high tier, his large body and mediocre shield are the only objectively low tier things about him.

But as I think about there really are only like 2-3 character that should be below him as the tier list stands. He does have problems that aren't quite yet offset by his meta or attributes.

Maybe in the future, he will be proven. THe main problem is that no one plays him! I mean c'mon.....he's fun, unique, technical, and has a high potential skill ceiling. I'm definitely going to try and be more involved in the scene and use him locally/regionally.

Last edited:

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
I strongly agree with you Mookie.

I've always shared these same opinions.

Imagine if Armada or HungryBox didn't exist, I guarantee that Puff and Peach would be below ICs and Falcon (especially after players like Wobbles/Fly and S2J/Wizzrobe). If Shroomed never played Doc, Mario could've been ranked higher than him on the tier list. If aMSa didn't exist, Yoshi could've been forever doomed to #18-#21 on the tier list.

At the end of the day it really depends on tournament results, until someone comes along putting in work with Mewtwo he will, unfortunately, remain where he is..

Unless Zoma comes to the U.S and pulls an aMSa (surprising everyone with a "bottom" tier).

I do think Link and Roy do still have some potential, it's a shame that many low tier players blame their characters rather than themselves.

Mewtwo does have the best recovery in the game, longest rolls, best airdodge in the game, some of the most useful tilts in the game, DJC technology, ledge cancelled up-B's, etc.... plenty of potential.

Last edited:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
I do think Link and Roy do still have some potential, it's a shame that many low tier players blame their characters rather than themselves.

Mewtwo does have the best recovery in the game, longest rolls, best airdodge in the game, some of the most useful tilts in the game, DJC technology, ledge cancelled up-B's, etc.... plenty of potential.
Link...maybe since he actually has tools that make his placement ambiguous and allow for wins above his tier. Problem is he already has like 3-4 really good players using him (Lord HDL I considered the best in his prime), so that make it seem less likely.

But Roy? Absolutely not IMO, I agree with Mookie. Especially in today's Meta, Roy has nothing left to develop. I'm sure of this because of his similarities to Marth, but having worse traits in pretty much every aspect. Probably the easiest character to combo, his biggest problem is the fact that Melee is an aerial or "fast ground moves" game and Roy's aerials are among the worst in the game and his grounded options are only really good against FFers (even then, only like 20% of his moves are usable/safe). He's a read based character but he doesn't have the power or low lag moves to balance like Ganon does. Roy also has some 0-100 MUs, and a lot of characters have easy chaingrabs on him (even SoPo).

Last edited:

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
Link...maybe since he actually has tools that make his placement ambiguous and allow for wins above his tier. Problem is he already has like 3-4 really good players using him (Lord HDL I considered the best in his prime), so that make it seem less likely.

But Roy? Absolutely not IMO, I agree with Mookie. Especially in today's Meta, Roy has nothing left to develop. I'm sure of this because of his similarities to Marth, but having worse traits in pretty much every aspect. Probably the easiest character to combo, his biggest problem is the fact that Melee is an aerial or "fast ground moves" game and Roy's aerials are among the worst in the game and his grounded options are only really good against FFers (even then, only like 20% of his moves are usable/safe). He's a read based character but he doesn't have the power or low lag moves to balance like Ganon does. Roy also has some 0-100 MUs, and a lot of characters have easy chaingrabs on him (even SoPo).
What about Ness and YL? They're pretty strong with potential waiting to be exploited.

Last edited:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
What about Ness and YL? They're pretty strong with potential waiting to be exploited.
I put YL and Link at the same potential, YL has an easier time against floaties and ICs - Link balances out by having the better range , weight, recovery, and power to deal with the MUs that YL is bad at (Marth, etc)

Ness I would say the same as Roy. That recovery is just the worst and he has no game against floaties.There are days when I think Pichu is better than Ness, maybe even Kirby is better than Ness too. Kirby is actually one of the only Low Tiers that can really mess with Sheik's and how they usually play. The Sheik Kirby MU is one of the most under explored things in this game competitively.

But as of right now Mewtwo has the most potential, that definitely is clear to me.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
At the end of the day it really depends on tournament results, until someone comes along putting in work with Mewtwo he will, unfortunately, remain where he is..
He did have a strong main. It was Taj. Taj was insanely good and was on demi-god level, much like Axe is with Pikachu and AmSa is with Yoshi. This wasn't even that long ago, either. Mewtwo has proven himself more than most of the characters above him up until around Ganon or so because of what Taj was able to accomplish.

-----------

You guys are really missing the point of this thread. I'm not making the case for other characters. I made this as an attempt to use logic and smash history to convince people who aren't low tier mains that there might be something to Mewtwo. It is not a rallying call for all low tiers. In fact, as I've stated lots of the other characters being mentioned right now have had far more representation, in terms of sheer numbers, than Mewtwo. Some had really good players too, but people like Lord HDL and Germ for Link, Caveman for Young Link. That said, they weren't on the level of Taj and they were in an entirely different era than today.

I find it ironic, that the whole point of this post is to sorta point out how Mewtwo gets overlooked, and right now this thread is heading towards discussing Roy, Ness, Link, and Young Link more than Mewtwo.

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
He did have a strong main. It was Taj. Taj was insanely good and was on demi-god level, much like Axe is with Pikachu and AmSa is with Yoshi. This wasn't even that long ago, either. Mewtwo has proven himself more than most of the characters above him up until around Ganon or so because of what Taj was able to accomplish.

-----------

You guys are really missing the point of this thread. I'm not making the case for other characters. I made this as an attempt to use logic and smash history to convince people who aren't low tier mains that there might be something to Mewtwo. It is not a rallying call for all low tiers. In fact, as I've stated lots of the other characters being mentioned right now have had far more representation, in terms of sheer numbers, than Mewtwo. Some had really good players too, but people like Lord HDL and Germ for Link, Caveman for Young Link. That said, they weren't on the level of Taj and they were in an entirely different era than today.

I find it ironic, that the whole point of this post is to sorta point out how Mewtwo gets overlooked, and right now this thread is heading towards discussing Roy, Ness, Link, and Young Link more than Mewtwo.
We were briefly comparing the remaining potential of other low tiers to Mewtwo's, don't sweat it.

Taj used mainly Marth, with a little bit of Mewtwo at tournaments, aMSa mainly uses only Yoshi and Axe is almost exclusively Pikachu. Taj clearly was better with Marth, if he solo mained Mewtwo it would've been a different story.

Taj's main claim to fame was the fact that he had an extremely good Marth, with a strong pocket Mewtwo.
If he used solely Mewtwo he definitely would've affected the tier list, but he didn't.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Taj used mainly Marth, with a little bit of Mewtwo at tournaments, aMSa mainly uses only Yoshi and Axe is almost exclusively Pikachu. Taj clearly was better with Marth, if he solo mained Mewtwo it would've been a different story..
Taj even touching Marth was done at the end of his career. You don't know your smash history, sir. It also didn't perform much, if at all, better than his Mewtwo.

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
Taj even touching Marth was done at the end of his career. You don't know your smash history, sir. It also didn't perform much, if at all, better than his Mewtwo.
False, he was using Marth as early as 2006 and a large portion of Taj videos are predominantly Marth.

Unlike aMSa and Axe, he hasn't placed top 8 going only Mewtwo.

Also, his Marth got him 3rd at Genesis 2, defeating Hax, MacD, and Mango.

Give me 1 set where Taj defeated a God with only Mewtwo.

aMSa and Axe have feats that Taj doesn't.

Even Qerb's GnW has more impressive wins than Taj's Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice

Even Qerb's GnW has more impressive wins than Taj's Mewtwo.
Qerbs G&W?

I hope you aren't thinking of the Moon....cause The Moon loses to every low tier main ever.

From my memory Taj's Mewtwo has had bigger wins than Qerb, Qerb also loses to much lesser players all the time with his G&W.

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
Qerbs G&W?

I hope you aren't thinking of the Moon....cause The Moon loses to every low tier main ever.

From my memory Taj's Mewtwo has had bigger wins than Qerb, Qerb also loses to much lesser players all the time with his G&W.
That's the thing. The lesser known players that would've otherwise beaten Taj's Mewtwo got beaten by his Marth instead.
Qerb is all Game and Watch(sometimes Fox/Falco/Samus but mainly used in friendlies), it makes his tournament placings much more impressive.

-Qerb has almost taken a set off HBox, he lost 2-1, last game went last stock 100%+ each

-Just 2-3 days ago, Qerb brought it extremely close in a BO5 against Hax, he could've easily won that set.

-He beat The Moon 2-1, 3 stocking him in the last game.

-Beaten Dizzkidboogie 2-1

-Had a close BO5 set with Abate, which went last stock every game

-Close sets and taken sets off of Swedish Delight several times

Plenty of feats, can you post the same for Taj's solo Mewtwo?

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
this may be irrelevant but taj got WF at genesis by getting his favorite MU handed to him several times. we all know what happened when mango switched to Fox.

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
this may be irrelevant but taj got WF at genesis by getting his favorite MU handed to him several times. we all know what happened when mango switched to Fox.
Doesn't change the fact that most of Taj's notable wins were using Marth, if he used Mewtwo against Mango it would've gone a lot worse.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing. The lesser known players that would've otherwise beaten Taj's Mewtwo got beaten by his Marth instead.
Qerb is all Game and Watch(sometimes Fox/Falco/Samus but mainly used in friendlies), it makes his tournament placings much more impressive.

-Qerb has almost taken a set off HBox, he lost 2-1, last game went last stock 100%+ each

-Just 2-3 days ago, Qerb brought it extremely close in a BO5 against Hax, he could've easily won that set.

-He beat The Moon 2-1, 3 stocking him in the last game.

-Beaten Dizzkidboogie 2-1

-Had a close BO5 set with Abate, which went last stock every game

-Close sets and taken sets off of Swedish Delight several times

Plenty of feats, can you post the same for Taj's solo Mewtwo?
Hmm well I've seen QERB using a ton of other characters besides G&W and they weren't friendlies.

To be honest you sound quite biased,, those aren't gods and most you stated weren't even wins against supposed "demi-gods". They were "close" losses. Even top players like Hax and Abate (and again I repeat HE DIDN'T BEAT them) are rather inconsistent, so even wins against them to unfamiliar MUs are not that rare.

As I said The Moon gets beat by every mid or low tier cause he doesn't care to learn MUs for those ( I mean even DJ's Bowser beat him rather handily on a few occasions in FInals/GF)

Dizzkid is a really simple gimmicky payer, hence why he got 3 stocked by Kage in crews....Kage didn't even lose a stock.

If you want to use those as your highs, don't forget the lows. Qerb has a lot of losses to players beneath his level that know and abuse the MUs that are heavily in their favor against G&W. The Spacies MU for instance is far easier and far more survivable for Mewtwo than G&W, same goes for a lot of MUs of common tourney characters.

I'll have to look up the stats but Taj has beaten notable consistent top players - off the top of my head he's beat Lord HDL's Link at it's prime, he had a crazy run at Genesis 2 (3rd place) when he did use Mewtwo, he beat PC Chris's Falco at his prime in crews (they each had 4 stocks each), and then he beat him again 3-1 after PC's 2015 return in a Satly Suite (during the period where he got serious into Melee again and showed up at Apex 2015 and MVG Sandstorm) Actually even though Hax clearly has more active higher placings over the past 2 years PC Chris when he returned ended up taking higher placings at comparable sized tourneys in 2015. And he didn't barely beat him in close games, he actually beat PC Chris both times.

There are a lot of matches that are not on stream/VoD as well of Taj having significant wins over top players, I'll have to find some of the VoDs of those that do exist. He's really inactive these days in singles unfortunately and even more so with Mewtwo, so it's hard to say what could have been.

Also Mew2King's jank Mewtwo beat MacD's Peach, There's Zoma who runs train on top tiers over in Japan (players that gave AmSa's Yoshi trouble), and even some unknown Mewtwo Prof had close games with Wizzrobe at paragon.

G&W doesn't even have other users that have similar results, it's just QERB and there aren't many results.

I like G&W but I find it real hard to believe he deserves his current spot on the tier list. He has no defense. period. He's missing 1/3 of the entire neutral game in Melee, and his normal rolls and techs are atrocious. He's as light as Pichu pretty much (dies super early), he's very easy to combo and CG.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
False, he was using Marth as early as 2006 and a large portion of Taj videos are predominantly Marth.
Post 2010 I'd say that Taj was transitioning to be mostly Marth. Prior to that I'd argue that he was a Mewtwo with a pocket Marth and not the other way around. I'm actually going to try to get more data on this, but in general you should do better research than simply going to smashwiki and looking up videos on youtube before making a definitive statement regarding the frequency Taj played Mewtwo in the early days. My impression, as someone being a part of the community at the time, is that Taj played the majority of his matches as Mewtwo, and only switched to Marth against specific players that played specific characters. In a similar way that PPMD will use Marth instead of Falco.

PPMD is actually a good parallel to draw here, as he uses two high ranking characters based upon his experience and gut. You don't hear people knocking Marth or Falco because he doesn't do purely one or the other. In much the same way there are definitely players that I would do better against with my Marth rather than my Mewtwo, but on the both my Marth and Mewtwo are of the same caliber as I've played enough matches with both to draw that conclusion.

A good example of why I think this can be drawn from Genesis 2. He played Armada in pools and lost with both Mewtwo and Marth. The thing is they performed roughly evenly. Going into winners finals at Genesis 2, Taj chose to play Mewtwo, because if he had to choose between Mewtwo or Marth when they performed evenly he preferred Mewtwo. I'd also point out that a lot of why Taj probably had a Marth and used Marth to begin with was largely due to the stigma of playing a Mewtwo, and literally being the only Mewtwo of his caliber. Read his philosophy thread and you will see the struggle. People draw comparisions between him and Axe, but at least Pika was considered mid tier. Mewtwo was considered the worst in the entire cast on two separate lists.

I never said he defeated a God with Mewtwo, and I never said that aMSa and Axe don't have feats that Taj doesn't. Now I did say that they had similar high level representation, but seeing as Taj was not solo-maining Mewtwo I will actually change that in my original post. I actually want people to argue with me here, as I want to build a stronger case and that requires actual debate and gathering more info.

That said, if you are counting 'close losses' as wins, well I doubt QERB would put up the same level of fight that Taj brought to Armada.

Regarding Axe, his opinion would likely line up with at least some of what I'm saying. I had a conversation with Axe in 2013 and he thinks Mewtwo has the tools to be viable based on playing with Taj. The feeling I got from that he feels Mewtwo is in a similar position as Pika.

Speculation sir.

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
Hmm well I've seen QERB using a ton of other characters besides G&W and they weren't friendlies.

To be honest you sound quite biased,, those aren't gods and most you stated weren't even wins against supposed "demi-gods". They were "close" losses. Even top players like Hax and Abate (and again I repeat HE DIDN'T BEAT them) are rather inconsistent, so even wins against them to unfamiliar MUs are not that rare.

As I said The Moon gets beat by every mid or low tier cause he doesn't care to learn MUs for those ( I mean even DJ's Bowser beat him rather handily on a few occasions in FInals/GF)

Dizzkid is a really simple gimmicky payer, hence why he got 3 stocked by Kage in crews....Kage didn't even lose a stock.

If you want to use those as your highs, don't forget the lows. Qerb has a lot of losses to players beneath his level that know and abuse the MUs that are heavily in their favor against G&W. The Spacies MU for instance is far easier and far more survivable for Mewtwo than G&W, same goes for a lot of MUs of common tourney characters.

I'll have to look up the stats but Taj has beaten notable consistent top players - off the top of my head he's beat Lord HDL's Link at it's prime, he had a crazy run at Genesis 2 (3rd place) when he did use Mewtwo, he beat PC Chris's Falco at his prime in crews (they each had 4 stocks each), and then he beat him again 3-1 after PC's 2015 return in a Satly Suite (during the period where he got serious into Melee again and showed up at Apex 2015 and MVG Sandstorm) Actually even though Hax clearly has more active higher placings over the past 2 years PC Chris when he returned ended up taking higher placings at comparable sized tourneys in 2015. And he didn't barely beat him in close games, he actually beat PC Chris both times.

There are a lot of matches that are not on stream/VoD as well of Taj having significant wins over top players, I'll have to find some of the VoDs of those that do exist. He's really inactive these days in singles unfortunately and even more so with Mewtwo, so it's hard to say what could have been.

Also Mew2King's jank Mewtwo beat MacD's Peach, There's Zoma who runs train on top tiers over in Japan (players that gave AmSa's Yoshi trouble), and even some unknown Mewtwo Prof had close games with Wizzrobe at paragon.

G&W doesn't even have other users that have similar results, it's just QERB and there aren't many results.

I like G&W but I find it real hard to believe he deserves his current spot on the tier list. He has no defense. period. He's missing 1/3 of the entire neutral game in Melee, and his normal rolls and techs are atrocious. He's as light as Pichu pretty much (dies super early), he's very easy to combo and CG.
I'd imagine the videos where you see Qerb use characters that aren't G&W are mostly at his local, I'm talking about at Nationals and Regionals.

You completely overlooked my mention of Hungrybox vs Qerb in which it went Game 3 in a BO3 set that went last stock last hit. Also, you can't say Dizzkidboogie is gimmicky for mainly going for wobbles, all ICs go for this. In terms of losing to Kage vs Qerb, Kage was using Ganondorf, a character that is considered a soft counter to ICs and is higher up on the tier list than G&W.

I'm well aware of G&W's lows, I'm saying that while Qerb endures the difficult matchups, Taj often uses Marth to accommodate these difficult matchups.

To respond to lower leveled players beating Qerb by abusing the matchup, same can be said about Mewtwo. aMSa goes toe to toe with a Kounotori, a Fox player who gets destroyed by U.S players while aMSa makes it far in bracket with Yoshi.

When Mew2King beat MacD at Koc3, MacD wasn't even top 20 in the world at the time, MacD didn't know the matchup, and he wasn't playing well at all at Koc3 (he was seeded 9th and lost to the 25th seed.), so that win is essentially negligible. Prof isn't unknown at all, he often plays in Florida locals. He even took a set off Rula who is an amazing Falco that had a close set with Leffen. Players give aMSa trouble in Japan because they know the matchup, I'd imagine if Zoma came to the U.S he would definitely be able to beat people who had a lack of experience in the Mewtwo matchup. So,
aside from those 3 players, Taj was essentially the only notable Mewtwo with performances at super nationals, similar to how Qerb is the only G&W with results.

My argument is that Taj hasn't accomplished that many things with Mewtwo that would warrant the character receiving viability status or to move up the tier list. If anything, Taj has done the opposite by resorting to Marth several times to cover some of Mewtwo's weaker matchups. Beating a Link with Mewtwo, isn't all that impressive, even if it's Lord HDL. I'm not at all saying G&W deserves to be higher or lower on the tier list, it's about beating a top player that mains a top tier and getting results that are attributed to the low tier, which Qerb has and Taj doesn't. His 3rd place finish at Genesis 2 can mainly be attributed to his Marth.

G&W's defense is mainly spaced fairs, down tilts, jabs, and dairs. Being very easy to combo and chain grab literally applies to most low tiers. Jigglypuff dies sooner than G&W, and she does relatively well in terms of holding her stocks. I can agree with G&W having a terrible shield, poor techs, poor rolls, and struggles in the neutral against top tiers.

I do believe that Mewtwo has a lot more to him than meets the eye, it's just that Taj wasn't the one, so he can't be compared to aMSa or be called the Axe of Mewtwo.

Post 2010 I'd say that Taj was transitioning to be mostly Marth. Prior to that I'd argue that he was a Mewtwo with a pocket Marth and not the other way around. I'm actually going to try to get more data on this, but in general you should do better research than simply going to smashwiki and looking up videos on youtube before making a definitive statement regarding the frequency Taj played Mewtwo in the early days. My impression, as someone being a part of the community at the time, is that Taj played the majority of his matches as Mewtwo, and only switched to Marth against specific players that played specific characters. In a similar way that PPMD will use Marth instead of Falco.

PPMD is actually a good parallel to draw here, as he uses two high ranking characters based upon his experience and gut. You don't hear people knocking Marth or Falco because he doesn't do purely one or the other. In much the same way there are definitely players that I would do better against with my Marth rather than my Mewtwo, but on the both my Marth and Mewtwo are of the same caliber as I've played enough matches with both to draw that conclusion.

A good example of why I think this can be drawn from Genesis 2. He played Armada in pools and lost with both Mewtwo and Marth. The thing is they performed roughly evenly. Going into winners finals at Genesis 2, Taj chose to play Mewtwo, because if he had to choose between Mewtwo or Marth when they performed evenly he preferred Mewtwo. I'd also point out that a lot of why Taj probably had a Marth and used Marth to begin with was largely due to the stigma of playing a Mewtwo, and literally being the only Mewtwo of his caliber. Read his philosophy thread and you will see the struggle. People draw comparisions between him and Axe, but at least Pika was considered mid tier. Mewtwo was considered the worst in the entire cast on two separate lists.

I never said he defeated a God with Mewtwo, and I never said that aMSa and Axe don't have feats that Taj doesn't. Now I did say that they had similar high level representation, but seeing as Taj was not solo-maining Mewtwo I will actually change that in my original post. I actually want people to argue with me here, as I want to build a stronger case and that requires actual debate and gathering more info.

That said, if you are counting 'close losses' as wins, well I doubt QERB would put up the same level of fight that Taj brought to Armada.

Regarding Axe, his opinion would likely line up with at least some of what I'm saying. I had a conversation with Axe in 2013 and he thinks Mewtwo has the tools to be viable based on playing with Taj. The feeling I got from that he feels Mewtwo is in a similar position as Pika.

Speculation sir.
I don't care at all about whether he went more Mewtwo or Marth in his time playing Melee, my main reference point is in his time playing professional high level melee, in which he predominantly went Marth. You also need to be more clear, you keep going back on a lot of your words and remaining ambiguous in what you're arguing for/with.

PP is a horrible comparison for this. PP goes Marth or Falco depending on how he's feeling, and both of his characters are god-level and have similar feats. Taj goes Marth or Mewtwo depending on who he's playing against and/or what character they're using, and his Marth was demi-god-god level while his Mewtwo clearly wasn't. The reason why people don't hound PP for going all Marth or all Falco is because they both yield similar results and play at the same level. PP's
Falco got him the win at Apex 2014 and his Marth got him the win at Apex 2015. Taj's Marth got him 3rd place at an extremely stacked tournament, while his Mewtwo hasn't done anything within relevance.

It doesn't matter whether he felt his Mewtwo was better, even, or worse than his Marth.

The fact of the matter is his Mewtwo has no comparable feats to his Marth.

His Mewtwo has no feats that compare to other low tier heroes, which is why I was arguing that you can't compare him to aMSa and Axe who have beaten gods, or even Qerb, who has had close sets with top players, sometimes even beating them. To top it all off, they all predominantly use solely their low tier main at Nationals, as opposed to Taj who often finds himself relying on Marth.

Him not believing in Mewtwo because of the stigma of low tiers is the fault of his own mentality, it is something many low tier players encounter. It is up to them to ignore all of the naysayers and remain determined to proving themselves and their character. On the tier list, even Pikachu was considered low tier in 2010. Pikachu didn't start moving up the tier list until Axe came along and starting bringing in the results. Same thing with aMSa and Yoshi, now Yoshi is considered mid tier as well.

I completely agree with you for the most part Mookie, but I'm mainly saying that you just can't compare Taj to the likes of aMSa and Axe, who were solo mains that placed highly at several super nationals. Once Taj got to the higher end of super nationals and faced extremely difficult opponents, he often used Marth, while aMSa and Axe would be forced to adapt or develop new strategies.

It would be completely different if his Mewtwo had wins over Mango/Hax/MacD/Similar skill players, but it just didn't.

Until someone consistently gets several top 16's finishes at super nationals with their low tier/Mewtwo and takes names along the way using that low tier, Mewtwo will never be taken seriously/remain where he is. There still is no aMSa/Axe for Mewtwo. I would agree with you on Taj being a Mewtwo main with a pocket Marth, but he has used Marth way too many times and a lot of his wins are attributed to that character. It's completely different than aMSa and Axe's Falco or Zoma's Fox.

I do think Mewtwo has a lot of potential, Zoma could be the next aMSa/Axe for Mewtwo, but all we can do is wait/help push Mewtwo.

update : If you go on his AMA reddit he said he mainly used Mewtwo when his Marth wasn't on point and wanted to throw someone off, so it was almost like a gimmick.

(P.S, I apologize for any typos that might be in this post, kind of rushed it.)

Last edited:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Man SSBM Lan you kinda lied about those sets.....they weren't close at all and with Hax's sets....almost half his stocks were lost to his own SDs and tech flubs at low percents.

Anyways Hax 3 stocked him like 3 times and 2 stocked him like 4....
The Bo5 wasn't "so close he could have won" he got 3-1'ed

And then look at DJ Nintendo vs QERB, that really shows you what you can do when you know the G&W MU on a very shallow level. You wouldn't ever see a Mewtwo get killed that fast or shine spiked at like 15% 3 stocks in a row. Was like a 1 minute match. Imagine vs Axe's Pikachu....dying at like 60% to upsmash and 0% to Uair

- People also don't realize how fraudulent G&W's recovery is -
You can Marth killer it.
You can just grab ledge refresh inv. every once in a while and cover all options.
- A G&W can only sweet spot or go early to high then land on stage to get the fast 6 frame lag. Both you can tell from how far they dip down and react. If they mix up and land during Up B barely, that's 40 frames to do anything you want to G&W.

Also here's Taj's actual quote -
"Mewtwo was mostly just for fun, but when my Marth was off, or I wanted to throw someone a curve ball I would pull out Mewtwo and it would often give me good results."

That actually contradicts what he used to save when he was active, but he didn't say gimmick. It's a rare character and MU, it's strategy. You'd be foolish to not know that QERB only really wins against people that don't know the MU at all. Taj and Zoma have actually played people like 15-20 times where they've had time to learn the MU and still both got results in their respective times (past [also 2015] and present).

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
PP is a horrible comparison for this. PP goes Marth or Falco depending on how he's feeling, and both of his characters are god-level and have similar feats. Taj goes Marth or Mewtwo depending on who he's playing against and/or what character they're using, and his Marth was demi-god-god level while his Mewtwo clearly wasn't.
Such a BS argument though. Mewtwo actually has matchups that can get pretty hairy. Marth and Falco don't really have those. Of COURSE Taj considered his opponent's character choice when making the decision to go Mewtwo. Character choice alone didn't dictate the decision, and was likely decided more by how his opponent played. I also guarantee you that character choice is also a part of PP's decisions to go Marth or Falco, just simply to a lesser extent.

It also should be pointed out that just because Taj wasn't a solo-main that his Mewtwo didn't hold it's own against pretty much every matchup at one point or another. While it's admittedly less impressive that he wasn't a pure Mewtwo, that doesn't mean that Mewtwo's tier position isn't bull**** based on the actual performance of his Mewtwo when he used him.

Jigglypuff dies sooner than G&W, and she does relatively well in terms of holding her stocks.
I know you said you are aware of G&W's weaknesses, but I must point out that if Jiggs doesn't die... she in all likelyhood is coming back. She has so many options to recover that it doesn't really put her at much disadvantage being off stage or really high up. G&W is not in the same league there. Ironically, Mewtwo is in the same boat with Peach and Samus when it comes to getting back after being knocked out in the distance. It's one of the ways he covers for the fact that he is fairly light, albeit he isn't nearly as light as people think. Mewtwo's weight is 85, the same weight as PAL Marth.

I completely agree with you for the most part Mookie, but I'm mainly saying that you just can't compare Taj to the likes of aMSa and Axe, who were solo mains that placed highly at several super nationals. Once Taj got to the higher end of super nationals and faced extremely difficult opponents, he often used Marth, while aMSa and Axe would be forced to adapt or develop new strategies.
I also think you have a point here. I didn't really think as much about Taj's Marth usage until you posted. While I don't think it is enough to invalidate Mewtwo's status as being viable, it would have been much better for Mewtwo if Taj was a solo main. I will say that a lot of this could also be linked back to stuff I have already said about Mewtwo, though. If you read Taj's philosophy thread you will see him wrestling so much with Mewtwo and thinking Mewtwo was crap. I guarantee you that if there were 5 other players at Taj's level with Mewtwo he wouldn't have felt so isolated, or that if there were a legendary super OG Mewtwo that rocked **** in the old days. Granted, those wouldn't actually make using Mewtwo easier, but he wouldn't have had to justify his use of Mewtwo to everyone, and that is a huge deal mentally.

Remember, even Axe and aMsA were dealing with middle tiered characters. While they were still considered trash, it's a big difference to start from the middle than it is to start from the very bottom.

Last edited:

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
Man SSBM Lan you kinda lied about those sets.....they weren't close at all and with Hax's sets....almost half his stocks were lost to his own SDs and tech flubs at low percents.

Anyways Hax 3 stocked him like 3 times and 2 stocked him like 4....
The Bo5 wasn't "so close he could have won" he got 3-1'ed

And then look at DJ Nintendo vs QERB, that really shows you what you can do when you know the G&W MU on a very shallow level. You wouldn't ever see a Mewtwo get killed that fast or shine spiked at like 15% 3 stocks in a row. Was like a 1 minute match. Imagine vs Axe's Pikachu....dying at like 60% to upsmash and 0% to Uair

- People also don't realize how fraudulent G&W's recovery is -
You can Marth killer it.
You can just grab ledge refresh inv. every once in a while and cover all options.
- A G&W can only sweet spot or go early to high then land on stage to get the fast 6 frame lag. Both you can tell from how far they dip down and react. If they mix up and land during Up B barely, that's 40 frames to do anything you want to G&W.

Also here's Taj's actual quote -
"Mewtwo was mostly just for fun, but when my Marth was off, or I wanted to throw someone a curve ball I would pull out Mewtwo and it would often give me good results."

That actually contradicts what he used to save when he was active, but he didn't say gimmick. It's a rare character and MU, it's strategy. You'd be foolish to not know that QERB only really wins against people that don't know the MU at all. Taj and Zoma have actually played people like 15-20 times where they've had time to learn the MU and still both got results in their respective times (past [also 2015] and present).
You're right, but it was close in a sense that it was G&W vs Fox (one of the best Fox players in the world) and they were both making tech flubs.

What you said about Qerb can be said about Taj as well. Zoma is a different case, but that's because he hasn't traveled to the U.S yet. I know he never said it was a gimmick, but I said it was essentially a gimmick because he used it to throw off his opponents and catch them off guard.

I do think Mewtwo is definitely better than G&W though, he has a lot more going for him.

Such a BS argument though. Mewtwo actually has matchups that can get pretty hairy. Marth and Falco don't really have those. Of COURSE Taj considered his opponent's character choice when making the decision to go Mewtwo. Character choice alone didn't dictate the decision, and was likely decided more by how his opponent played. I also guarantee you that character choice is also a part of PP's decisions to go Marth or Falco, just simply to a lesser extent.
You are right, but there are definitely some days where his Falco looks better or his Marth is on point in certain matchups.

It also should be pointed out that just because Taj wasn't a solo-main that his Mewtwo didn't hold it's own against pretty much every matchup at one point or another. While it's admittedly less impressive that he wasn't a pure Mewtwo, that doesn't mean that Mewtwo's tier position isn't bull**** based on the actual performance of his Mewtwo when he used him.
I agree, most dual mains aren't as good in all matchups. Even though he wasn't a pure Mewtwo his skill with the character was extremely impressive. Hopefully Zoma can surpass that.

I know you said you are aware of G&W's weaknesses, but I must point out that if Jiggs doesn't die... she in all likelyhood is coming back. She has so many options to recover that it doesn't really put her at much disadvantage being off stage or really high up. G&W is not in the same league there. Ironically, Mewtwo is in the same boat with Peach and Samus when it comes to getting back after being knocked out in the distance. It's one of the ways he covers for the fact that he is fairly light, albeit he isn't nearly as light as people think. Mewtwo's weight is 85, the same weight as PAL Marth.
I was mainly thinking of Fox when it came to their survivability, my bad for not being clear there. G&W has a noticeably faster fall speed than Jigglypuff's and they have the same weight, so G&W will generally die later than Puff from up smash/up air.

I actually think Mewtwo's recovery is a tier above Samus and Peach's, he has so many quick mixups while
Samus and Peach recover relatively slowly and are predictable. Add in V-Cancelling/SDI and you have a Mewtwo
that can live to extremely high %'s.

I also think you have a point here. I didn't really think as much about Taj's Marth usage until you posted. While I don't think it is enough to invalidate Mewtwo's status as being viable, it would have been much better for Mewtwo if Taj was a solo main. I will say that a lot of this could also be linked back to stuff I have already said about Mewtwo, though. If you read Taj's philosophy thread you will see him wrestling so much with Mewtwo and thinking Mewtwo was crap. I guarantee you that if there were 5 other players at Taj's level with Mewtwo he wouldn't have felt so isolated, or that if there were a legendary super OG Mewtwo that rocked **** in the old days. Granted, those wouldn't actually make using Mewtwo easier, but he wouldn't have had to justify his use of Mewtwo to everyone, and that is a huge deal mentally.

Remember, even Axe and aMsA were dealing with middle tiered characters. While they were still considered trash, it's a big difference to start from the middle than it is to start from the very bottom.
Extremely true. I feel a lot of low tier players have much more pressure on them to perform, otherwise it looks like they're trying to be BM/Sandbagging. Especially when it's with a character that had no one used before him, even being considered bottom 3 of the tier list 2006-2008.

I will definitely check out some more of Taj's philosophy thread.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Interesting read. I just wanted to point out that both Mario and Ganon have had high level representation. Although Mango was never a true Mario main, he took sets from M2K and other high level players of the time with Mario. As for Ganon, you're forgetting about Kage. He was at a demigod level for some time and took sets from many high level players including Mango. Today, neither of these characters have that kind of representation anymore. But Mango and Kage certainly proved their respective characters could be played at a demigod level for a time.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Oh yeah, Kage was the ****, and definitely did really impressive stuff with Ganon, and this is even during the time I'm contesting for Mewtwo. I'll definitely alter that in my OP soon.

EDIT:
I made changes to the OP as I said I would, but I also added a bit about Zoma and how he shows that M2's game has a lot of depth that has yet to be explored.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The more I play, the more I delve into M2's tools, the more it seems that Mewtwo is not only viable but could be a viable solo main. SBC (shadowball charge) is an exceptional tool to disrupt opponents, and works very well at stuffing and stopping projectile spam from the cast, especially Falco. This is something I don't see any other Mewtwo doing right now, even Taj and Zoma only use SBC as an attack incredibly sparingly if at all. This seriously changes things, as I used to feel that there wasn't much Mewtwo could do to deal with lasers, and not being able to deal properly with Falco is a deal breaker for solo main viability as he is one of the best and most used characters. As stated it's good in general too, and is a great way to put pressure on opponents and punish crouch cancelling as well. All in all, Mewtwo seems to perform really well against Fox and Falco while still being able to handle the other viable characters. Some can be pretty rough, but nothing that strikes me as unwinnable.

Some characters that I used to think were Mewtwo killers are seemingly quite even now. Marth comes to mind, first and foremost. Just like how people thought Marth v Puff was free for Marth prior to Hbox, people think Mewtwo is free for Marth. I encounter this pretty much every time I do netplay, as I will beat a person's main and they instantly switch to Marth. Much like Marth v Puff though, Mewtwo has so many tools to get around Marth, a lot of them being pro-active, forcing Marth into bad situations. Sure, Marth has an edge in neutral, but the moment Marth is pinned next to the ledge or is off stage Mewtwo makes up for that in spades, and all it takes for that to happen is a backthrow. I am now sitting on a lot of video footage of me dismantling good Marth players, and I've had several chats with them afterwards about how they had no idea Mewtwo could even fight back prior to facing me.

Of the conventionally viable cast I have far less experience against IC's, Peach, Puff, Ganon, and Samus, but so far none of them feel unwinnable. IC's seem to be one of M2's harder matchups, as they have reliable setups to kill M2 early and consistently (with or without wobbling) and by nature of their grab tricks it makes it risky for me to pursue my grab game.

CF is another potentially rough matchup, in that he also has reliable setups to kill at kill percents and it seems as if there isn't much I can do DI wise to avoid a chain throw type scenario at early percents. That said, CF also gets comboed heavily by M2, and once CF is offstage things are not good for him, so it ends up being a very volatile match where either character can die rather quickly. The edge goes to CF though because he has a slightly easier time in neutral and due to M2's size it makes all his combos easier to perform than mine. I still don't think this is a huge disadvantage though, because as I fight players that are more and more skilled the fact that M2 is a big target becomes less and less relevant because they almost literally could perform the same combo against Marth. To me, this matchup is actually very analogous to Marth v Falcon, but I'm weird that way.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Fadeaway DJC fair and SB of any level is how I deal with ICs but I can't say I've fought an exceptionally good one and I myself am average at best, tech skill aside. I just play it hyperdefensive which is really how I play all floatie matchups aside from Puff. Edgeguading Nana is pretty easy with M2s recovery imo. If M2 was smaller I'd say it was a winning matchup. I pretty much make it my only goal to make it nigh impossible for them to get the grab unless I myself screw up. I'm still working on Falcon but you should try seeing if SDIing Nair helps at all. I've started SDIing Falco's Dair and it makes a difference.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Sieghart Sieghart
I don't really SDI much of anything except for multi-hits and Fox uair. It's something on my to-do list; however, right now I still think I would get more gains by improving my fundamentals and neutral. For example, just not putting myself in a position to get hit by nair is more important to me than working on SDI out of nair.

I just play it hyperdefensive which is really how I play all floatie matchups aside from Puff.
One thing I've noticed lately, and it's a big part of my general improvement, is how I'm becoming less and less defensive and more and more aggressive. This holds true against floaties too. That said, the main thing to keep in mind against floaties is to not over-extend with combos. What I try to do now is move like I'm going for a followup, but actually my intention is to place myself to take advantage of their counter-attack. When they wise up to that, then I just feel them out and put myself in a solid position which forces them to regain stage control.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
One thing I've noticed lately, and it's a big part of my general improvement, is how I'm becoming less and less defensive and more and more aggressive. This holds true against floaties too. That said, the main thing to keep in mind against floaties is to not over-extend with combos. What I try to do now is move like I'm going for a followup, but actually my intention is to place myself to take advantage of their counter-attack. When they wise up to that, then I just feel them out and put myself in a solid position which forces them to regain stage control.
I'll keep that in mind, sounds way better than what I do which generally consists of pivot bair fadeback bair over and over until I feel confident in getting a fair in. I'll rewatch some of your videos as well to see if I seeing things visually helps my improvement along. I usually default to defensive/hyperdefensive playstyle because I tried being agressive in the past and it's never worked out for me. Maybe my spacing was off or I do it wrong? I don't know, but if you say it has the potential to work I'll look into it.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
you mentioned not knowing samus matchup

some guidlines for you in my experience, living with a samus main

dtilt feels really unsafe all the time, you have to be able to consistently powershield missiles (which isn't that bad) or you will be in sheild. an alternative is trying to nair the missles which is actually really hard to do, or fair them which is also really hard. you can wd ftilt them if they are rarely using missiles but not if theyre missile cancelling and just filling the screen with missiles.

because she's heavy, uthrow and fair aren't that bad of kill options, and edge guarding her isnt too bad off of bthrow but it's worse than youd think because mewtwo is kind of slow and samus has a lot of options

wd around while in shield is pretty good to some extent because of the bad grab she has, but if you try to really abuse it youre going to run out of shield pretty quickly.

to be honest i think it's actually a pretty rough matchup but it isn't unwinnable by any means. it's not really unfair it's jut kind of unfair

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
This is an extremely insightful post, really enjoyed the lure you put into it. Looked up some of your vids and was quite entertained and really got a grasp of the fundamental things I should do when I decided to play Mewtwo. Its funny because I used to main ICs ( best placing was 2nd at a local monthly) but everyone I played with said they didn't take skill and I had a terrible grasp on fundamentals so I decided to play a low tier as a joke and beat them anyway. From that day, I fell in love with low tiers and really want to see their metas pushed. The way I see it, there would obviously be more tech for higher tier characters due to thousands of people who play them as compared to the minimal amount of info low tiers have because not many people play them which makes grinding them more fun for me. I remember discovering that Roy's reverse up-b killed Puff at 0% on certain maps and it was the most amazing thing ever! What I would like to say is thank you for sticking to a character who you truly wanted to play rather than go along with the masses, from what I see Mewtwo has so much more potential that is waiting to be discovered.

Top Bottom