• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Hero's ban

DoneAndSaid

Smash Rookie
I've posted this elsewhere on Reddit and Amino, however, I felt my explanations for both were incomplete, so I decided to change that here.

I should start by saying that I'm not against Hero, or any character for that matter, being banned. There's always a reason why it happens. The main problem I have is that I feel the character was banned too early. This is a common issue, and it leads to players not being able to discover a way around the problem. I managed to find a consistent way to counter Meta Knight in Brawl using Mr. Game and Watch, but since Brawl isn't played in Majors anymore, I may only be able to show this off in local tourneys, of which there are very few in this part of California. That's exactly how I feel about Hero being banned so early on. People won't bother looking for ways to counter, and even when they do, they won't be able to show it being used in a tournament scenario.

Now let's get on with Hero's actual moveset. Apart from his DownB it's pretty polarizing. His aerials are way too slow, but his smash attacks can randomly kill you at 40%. His tilts are either slightly bad or decently good. His DownB, on the other hand, is a complete mess. So many of the spells can just turn this character into a "Press B to win" character, and the fact that I'm a Belmont main saying that says a lot. The fact that you can shield cancel it means that you can just cycle through the menu and grab whatever spell you want at any time.

We can fix this though. First of all, fix his UpAir knockback angle. This move is near impossible to combo with. Secondly, why does his BackAir take eighteen frames before it does anything? Next, make his DownB non-cancellable. Make critical hits weaker, make Kamikazee and Magic Burst less stupid, and the biggest change of all, make his critical hits on Marth, Roy, and Lucina have the same sound effect as their final smashes. Literally unplayable.

-DAS

DoneAndSaid

Smash Rookie
And of course, I forgot something. I consider ProGuides to have the most accurate tier list since it's based on competitive play and discovered tech skill, and they placed Hero at the bottom of A Tier despite him being banned.

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
And of course, I forgot something. I consider ProGuides to have the most accurate tier list since it's based on competitive play and discovered tech skill, and they placed Hero at the bottom of A Tier despite him being banned.
uh why are u using proguides? it's fine if ur watching ZeRo's videos but everything else from proguides is GARBAGE. they even copypaste info of character's moves from SmashWiki

DoneAndSaid

Smash Rookie
uh why are u using proguides? it's fine if ur watching ZeRo's videos but everything else from proguides is GARBAGE. they even copypaste info of character's moves from SmashWiki
I don't know why I did, to be perfectly honest. Their placement of Hero does feel pretty okay though, but there are several things now that I don't particularly agree with them on.

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why I did, to be perfectly honest. Their placement of Hero does feel pretty okay though, but there are several things now that I don't particularly agree with them on.
yea just dont watch proguides. they dont know what thy're talking about.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The fact that you can shield cancel it means that you can just cycle through the menu and grab whatever spell you want at any time.
I disagree with this. Cycling through spells takes quite some time and can thus normally only be done in advantage. But if it's done there then Hero will waste his advantage if nothing good comes out and he cancels the move. So using vB requires setting up a good situation and risking that situation to be wasted.

Last edited:

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Im not having fun shouldn't mean gutting the character.

The way Heros Kit is built is to play lame and give yourself distance to be able to reroll rng for buffs then use said buffs to make an otherwise mediocre kit. Removing the Ability to reroll at all would effectively gut the character from being able to fish for buffs making him even more rng dependant than before, and in turn will promote menu spam by forcing you to actually use a spell to reroll a bad menu.
So here is my proposal: instead of removing rerolling all togeather, make it slower.
Add a couple frames of lag to cancel menu. Not like 10 or something ridiculous like that. Just a couple.
Other notes:
Magic burst is actually like, bad. Like really bad. You are essentially taking a risk to potentially take a stock while removing all possibility of getting out of disadvantage and not being able to get into advantage.
Also bair being frame 17 is fine its part of his balancing. And having an aireal so slow throws people off aswell, the hitbox is HUGE and has lots of KB

Top Bottom