• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on good stages for Zelda??

PingusKhan

Smash Rookie
I have been trying to figure out what counterpicks work well for my play style, I have found moderate success with Kalos and smashville , but I was wondering what other Zelda’s tend to play on.
-Cheers

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I'm probably not experienced enough with every MU on every stage to answer objectively, but if you want my personal opinion on what I like to play on, I'll definitely give it.

I'm personally fine with any stage, except incline stages and Final Destination. I feel like FD can be good for some MUs, like sword characters that don't have good projectiles, but no platforms, makes mixing up getting back on stage difficult. I also think it lets some characters with good aerials, get back to the stage a little too free. Platforms can help trap opponents, so the absence of them can make MUs very polarizing.

Incline stages, seems to mess up Phantom stuff, especially ledge trapping, and certain small characters seem to be able to camp and spam projectiles there. This is especially frustrating on Yoshi's story, where they're protected from the air, by platforms. I feel like zoners like Snake or the Links, tend to have an advantage over Zelda here. Overall, I don't like the layout of either Yoshi stage at all.

Based on my current feeling and experience, I'd rank them as follows:

Zelda Advantage
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville

Neutral
Kalos
Town and City

Zelda Disadvantage
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Story

MU Dependent
Final destination

Any that aren't listed, I don't know or forgot.

I feel like any stage that Up-Tilt can poke through the bottom platforms, is good for Zelda. It allows her to use platforms to trap landings, and safely pressure. I also think her power benefits from small stages.

I feel like Kalos and Town and City goes both ways. They allow for Zelda to push advantage hard, but allows her opponents to do the same. Both stages are wide or can become wide, so it makes it more difficult to trap opponents in neutral, similar to FD. The ledge and platforms make it very easy to do so however. So these might depend on MU and how good the Zelda player can handle neutral.

Probably need more experience to be definitive.

Yashill

Smash Rookie
Zelda is definitely a character that can work on most stages well. I have felt that I can play on any stage well as a whole but am benefited more with some stages in certain MU's.

The only stage I automatically ban is Unova if the place is running it. Yoshi's Island I would also ban but seems to be losing favor, at least here in Chicago. Yoshi's story I have had good luck with because phantom almost allows us earlier kills than it usually does. Also the slants on Yoshi's story are better than Island since they tend to function more consistently than on Island.

Lylat is probably the more polarizing one to me. Never go here against swords. Even without swords this stage has either REALLY worked in my favor or REALLY not.

So essentially, BAN UNOVA and Yoshi's island (if you don't like inconsistency). Lylat and Yoshi's story might be ok depending on how you play. The rest are in general safe picks depending on the MU, but you just have to know what you are comfortable with.

For me, I favor smashville and battlefield. They tend to lend themselves to Zelda's style more with consistent kill options with the spacing of the stages. These are also the stages I feel the most comfortable utilizing teleport cancels on in unique situations. However, that's mostly because these are the ones I have practiced most.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't like BF all that much 8I don't like plattform movement at all) but gives her very good options.
Other stages like PS2 or Smashville gives her space and she can also use the plattforms there to her advantage.
Don't know about PS1 but I'd still say it's in her advantage unless the plattforms are higher.
Kalos is also a pretty wide stage that helps her to play her game which is rather defensive. I'd say Kalos is in her favor, too.

Yoshi's Story is also a tri-platt stage which again can help with mixing up teleports but I think the plattforms are a bit too high for uptilt but still low enough for phantom and upair pressure. Don#t really see this stage as that for her or I need more experience here.

The rest of the stages: *shrug*

Don't think there's any stage that is inherently bad for her. She can do stuff on almost every stage but certain stages should be avoided, like FD against Little Mac or Yoshi (so annoying at FD).

Yashill

Smash Rookie
Yoshi's Story is also a tri-platt stage which again can help with mixing up teleports but I think the plattforms are a bit too high for uptilt but still low enough for phantom and upair pressure. Don#t really see this stage as that for her or I need more experience here.
Honestly when it comes to the platforms on this stage I like it more for the fact that they are higher so your opponent has a slightly more difficult time trying to shark you. At the same time, in the right position with the right percents, a good dthrow from zelda will pop the opponent onto top plat and you can easily follow up with an up air for a stock. Same applies to uptilt to up air.

D

Deleted member 189823

I tend to always prefer little to no platforms for my characters. It just makes it a lot better for juggling, and this is specially true against Phantom. Smart people don't sit in shield against it, they just avoid it altogether (and platforms help to achieve this). Everytime I want to catch a landing, people just airdodge into platforms and they have so little lag I can't even frametrap them for it.

People may not know this, but we have somewhat of a formidable juggling game. It's just that characters with really fast air drift tend to get away with it more.

Not to mention, platforms sort of ruin D-Throw follow-ups. They can tech into platforms, and you still have to read what they'll do out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't like BF all that much 8I don't like plattform movement at all) but gives her very good options.
Just try to think of it as an extra layer of disadvantage your opponent has to work through. They have limited options on platforms, so you have a chance to score extra damage or even take a stock. At the very least, you don't lose anything if they make it back to the ground, that isn't a hypothetical punish.

Everytime I want to catch a landing, people just airdodge into platforms and they have so little lag I can't even frametrap them for it.
Depending on how high the platforms are, you can Up-Tilt pressure them from below. Up-Tilt can shield poke with only a little shield damage, from that position. They also can't do much other than jump, if they get caught in shield on the platform. If you're feeling confident on your reads, you can wait and Up-air their OoS. Even if you miss, they still have to land somewhere and you can pressure that too. Try not to be too aggressive when chasing, and you can make it difficult for them to get off.

Top Bottom