• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on first tourney with ZSS

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I just got back from my first tourney using Zero Suit (I'm this guy for those who don't know me: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-zss-player-switching-from-mario-help.390984/ ), and I figured I'd share some thoughts I had on the character and potentially get some feedback. :)

-First of all (and most importantly), she is an absolute blast to play, and for this reason I'm gonna stick with her.

-She seems kinda lackluster in teams. Given the crazy combos I can pull off in singles are kinda negated in teams she seems a bit worse there. I'm undecided on whether to go mario or stick with it.

-I hate FD for her, but I love what she can do with platforms. Since no ones ever really played against a ZSS in our community, they didn't know how to deal with the up-b through the platform. I know that a lot of people like her on FD, but I think she gains sooooo much from platforms.

-She absolutely destroys heavy characters (in my case charizard) with crazy zero-100 combos, but I didn't know what to do against the smaller characters I played. I lost to a ness and a kirby, each because I couldn't punish them well, and my neutral game is kinda lackluster.

-She controls space very well with moves such as side-b and up-b.

-She gets pooped on by spacies, but I've still got my mario that I can pull out for that matchup.

-Dair is super strong, but I feel it's pretty risky as I got punished pretty hard when I missed most of the time.

-Up-b is super versatile. It can be used to super jump, trap the opponent on a platform, meteor them offstage, drag them down into an attack, and more that I can't think of right now.

-Down-b is pretty useful as well. edgecancelling it is super easy and helpful, it's great for recovery, and there were quite a few times I would use it to get out of a combo and counterattack with the divekick.

-Moves that put a quick hitbox under your opponent can be used to gimp ZSS really hard. I died at 11% to a ness dair, and low percents to a sonic up-b and kirby dair. This is probably something that I just need to learn how to counter.

-There were so many times where my opponent would live to just under 200% just cause I couldn't hit a bair. She really has very few kill options. The only ones I know of are bair, f-smash, and down angled f-tilt, and these are all pretty hard to hit.

I probably forgetting things as it's two in the morning, but I wanted to post this before I went to bed while it's still on my mind. Overall I think she's a great character that has a lot to offer in terms of spacing, combos, and movement. Shes kinda got me excited over Project: M again.

Also, this sounds like a total noob question, but whats the input for the diveflip? b+a?

BLACKSasquatch

Smash Rookie
A few other good kill moves are fair (second hit) and divekick, once they get above 160 nair, middle hitbox of up air, up smash, middle hitbox of up b and up tilt will start to kill. As for the flipstool, you have to tap b when you are on top of the opponents hurtbox and it has to have been at least 15 frames after you started the flipjump (this also applies to jumping out of flipjump and divekicking, everything else will only work after frame 55), the timing is a little funny.

Last edited:

AfterburnDeity

Smash Rookie
The input is A during the flip, yes, and during the proper timing (as BLACKSasquatch mentioned).

Top Bottom