• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Dragon Quest DLC?...

KIRBY MAIN

Smash Cadet
So what ya think? I mean personally they look pretty cool, I just hope this will be the only sword wielder DLC because I feel the game now has enough sword wielders....

...but looks cool!

Edit: BANJO CONFIIIIIIIIRMED!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, we already have Joker who uses knives. Overall, unimpressed. Hard pass.

Banjo on the other hand is hype.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The thought of Smash having more Dragon Quest content than Final Fantasy content amuses me.

Also, do you complain about the amount of hand-to-hand fighters?

KIRBY MAIN

Smash Cadet
Well, I wouldn’t say I’m complaining, just saying I’m satisfied with the amount of swordsman we have and don’t need any more, I’d probably say the same for hand to hand as well, basically, I’d just like to see other alternative characters using alternative tools like different weapons and means of attack and what not....

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Well we have Banjo now, so the Dragon Quest hero is moot... except I did like the usage of a spell menu. That seems fun.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
as the poster child for the start of the jRPG I'm all for this. I really regret not playing more of this series when I was younger. I also like the costumes based on past games in the series

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I'm extremely disappointed by the fact their main weapon is swords. While it's true there are legendary hero swords and such in DQ game plots, swords aren't even your only weapon. The DQ protagonists can weild boomerangs, brass knuckles, hammers, whips and even monster allies. So now the morons out there that have never played a Dragon Quest game are just going to stereotype them as "another anime swordsman" even tho he's technically THE anime swordsman since his games have far more history and impact to gaming than many of the other "anime swordsmen".

I've also loved Banjo Kazooie in my youth so I'm happy on both sides.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't even care tbh. The fact Banjo's in makes it up to me.

That said though I still congrats those that wanted Dragon Quest in the game. ;)

D

Deleted member

Having Eight in Smash means a lot for me.

He was my most wanted alongside Crash for years.

I'm picking this DLC the day it launches, since I want to see him next to Samus.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The design of Dragon Quest characters kind of fulfill my will to have Goku in the game! They have a very similar design! Now I dont miss a Goku character in the game, and Dragon Quest makes even more sense! I'm not really have because I have another sword fighter in the game, but I'm happy because I have a character that is so similar to Goku and Dragon Ball characters as possible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Extreme indifference. Im not excited for them but im not that dissapointed either since all of my most wanted characters are extremely unlikely anyways. Except for Travis Touchdown, i believe he has a good chance of getting in.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The main DQ Hero has very stupid looking hair.

In general, I don't like Toriyama's art style. Although it worked pretty well in Chrono Trigger (I think the 16-bit limitations made it look better).

And then the main name being "Hero"? Ugh. They should've made the main skin be one of the named alts just to avoid adding something as generic as "Hero" to the fighter list. Or use some nickname for that particular iteration of the DQ Hero (people call him Irebun or the Luminary, I guess? But Irebun is just "eleven" in a Japanese accent so maybe they wouldn't want to use that).

Other than that, I guess he looks like Robin 2.0, with some Link elements. Which is ok I guess. Probably will be annoying for some of the characters I play as (shield + reflector move + sword). I guess they make sense as a 3rd-party addition, but I haven't played any DQ games so I don't care about it.

Banjo-Kazooie, on the other hand... that's exciting. But why can't BK come out first? :cry:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Hero looks far more interesting than Banjo does to me. The mass variety of spells looks really fun.

The fact that they wield swords means nothing to me. I happen to think that swords are pretty cool anyway. I'm probably going to play as them often, but I won't pick them up or anything. Maybe. I dunno. We'll see.

Nah

Smash Champion
I personally couldn't give less of a **** about Banjo and DQ being in Smash, but it's not something for me to be upset about. There's characters in the (huge) roster that I like, so that's enough for me.

Also, do you complain about the amount of hand-to-hand fighters?
I do want to reiterate this though. People have ******* and moaned about "too many swordies" for years, yet there's other groups with large numbers (and swordies aren't even the biggest group) and they never get complained about?

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I'm equally hyped for both DQ and BK, but that's mostly because I'm unfamiliar with both of them. I'm still super hyped!! They both feel like they fit in Smash super well, and I'm super excited. Both stages look gorgeous!!
I honestly couldn't care less if they have a sword, because they're unique and look super fun.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm a bit on the fence about him honestly. On the one hand some of the specials are pretty unique and it's neat they went the extra mile with the the alts. The stage is cool too. Look at the Slimes! The trailer was good too for what it's worth.

On the other, he's still a swordsman which despite being a Smash meme these days are quite prominant already in the roster, a lot of his basic moves appear at first glance to be somewhat generic, he seems to borrow many elements from previous fighters so he doesn't feel very original IMO, I'm not keen on 2/4 of the Hero designs and "The Hero" is a pretty terrible name. Smacks of them running out of creativity at the name.

Still prefer him to Joker, but honestly Banjo's the only DLC I've been impressed with thus far and I'm not even a nostalgic fan of the original games.

D

Deleted member

Nearly everything I could have asked for as a huge Dragon Quest fan.
My only complaint is the lack of female alts, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Everything else looks amazing.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
90% of the fanbase is Japanese, same as Joker. The menu system looks neat but I have no attachment to the character or series. Same is true for Banjo to be honest, but I'm happy he's in just because it will open the door for other western IP's which we're in dire, dire need of.

Crash and Spyro would be big picks for me, but that said, Spyro's utter lack of popularity in Japan hurts him badly, because the country of Japan matters as much as or more than literally the entire rest of the world combined when it comes to Smash.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
He looks cool and I will try him. I only played DW7 where you go from island to island figuring out why they were destroyed in the present. Kind of bummed that guy isn't playable.

Banjo on the other hand. Yes. And I might anger some DW/DQ fans but they totally put Erdrick first and Banjo last cause they knew Hero would not be able to top Banjo. He is the one most of us wanted. Hero was for the Japan community and Banjo was clearly for the fanbase overseas.

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I have only played Dragon Quest a few times on rare occasions ,but I am extremely excited for them and Dragon Quest 11 to come to the Switch. I know to a lot of people they seem like generic Sword fighters, ( and like I said I am not a massive fan and played a few times ) but please give them a chance. They are soo much more. As for Banjo and Kazooie, I just happy they are finally in. Hardcore fans deserve it and I'm glad they are happy because it make me happy.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
they totally put Erdrick first and Banjo last cause they knew Hero would not be able to top Banjo. He is the one most of us wanted. Hero was for the Japan community and Banjo was clearly for the fanbase overseas.
On the Nintendo of America Twitter, the Banjo tweet has 80k likes while the Hero one has 20k. On the Japanese, Banjo's has 49k while Hero's has 13k.

You're not wrong.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
One of the most beautiful ways to realize a series in Smash and I've said it for some time that Dragon Quest absolutely felt like it was missing from the roster. Banjo Kazooie I personally have a ton of love and hype for, but The Hero all around I actually found to be almost as hype on its own because it represented Dragon Quest so well and felt like an attempt to please anybody with even a passing interest in the series. All in one of the most beautiful Smash trailers of all time. I'm extremely satisfied with the Dragon Quest DLC and I imagine Dragon Quest fans around the world are too. They may not be the most traditionally popular characters in the Smash fan base, but that was one of the most well done DLC reveals for a specific fan base I've seen in Smash in years to be honest.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Personally I have no attachment to the character(s) but I am happy for Dragon Quest supporters, it would have been really rough to not get them considering all the months of rumors and speculation. I tend to like swordfighters and there are some potentially interesting mechanics with the character(s) so who knows, I could wind up really like them as fighters.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
He's the first swordsman in ultimate that's not an echo so I'm pretty excited to see what the devs will do. If the menu command has 4 specials for every direction then he would get 16 separate specials. People are harsh on him now but I think they'll warm up to him once he comes out, he has a couple months of spotlight before Banjo releases at the very least.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I love it... I’m a huge fan of Dragonquest and played DQ3 (the copy I have goes by Dragon Warrior), a little of DQ4 (Borrowed it from a friend for 1 afternoon a few years ago but only got as far as the end of Alena’s first chapter), DQ7, DQ8, DQ9, DQ11 DQ Heroes and DQ builders.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The Hero deserves to be in Smash. Dragon Quest is a very important video game franchise. Without it, we don't get Final Fantasy, Pokemon, etc. People who say 'it was smart of them to announce the Hero for Japan and Banjo for the West' are really misinformed, because Japan loves them both being Smash. It's just that Dragon Quest is a lot more beloved in Japan. I wish that one day, Dragon Quest hits what it should in the west as well, because it's a fantastic series.

Gameplay wise, he looks like he's customizable like the Mii fighters with his Magic Meter and Attack Menu options. So he might be more interesting gameplay wise than Banjo.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don’t give a flying fizzle about Banjo. Never had, he’ll probably grow on me, but not to the point where I use him.

DQ on the other hand, was my main changer.
I loved everything about it!
The spell variety. The MP bar. Not to mention, the 3 alt hero skins he brought along!

As long as it was DQ, I didn’t really need a super hype trailer, yet that’s exactly what I got.
And story-mode related. Something I always thought lacked a little... Dragon Quest.

So this trailer and characters hit all the right notes for me.
And after all the hate DQ had gotten for the past 6 months, this was the ultimate “**** YEAH!!!” moment.

Sorry for those who don’t understand, but I stopped watching E3 when the trailer ended. Nintendo owned E3 for me for this and this alone. It was not until like 2 hours later that I found out Banjo too had been revealed and my reaction was... Yah, ok.
But HERO is in the game!!! Against the tide of ignorance and hate!

This has probably been my favorite Smash moment since Sonic got into Smash.

Edit: If I had to nitpick on what I didn’t like. Well.. a variety of weapons would have been nice. And female alts too.
The fact that they recycled other swordsmen attacks was understandable, and my possitive spin on it is that Hero knows all of these sword styles, and mashed them together like a true master! ;)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Now that the E3 excitement is out of the way.

As someone who doesn't know much about Dragon quest outside of like 2 games most of this DLC doesn't really do much for me.

But as someone who wanted Sora and Professor Layton in Smash bros, instead of getting either of those guys were getting a Level 5 character that's owned by Square enix as an alt skin for Lumenary.

honestly reminds me of the "It's something" meme

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
the number of sword-wielding characters has never been an issue for me in Super Smash Brothers, It's the number of sword-wielding characters specifically from Fire Emblem that has been an issueFor me. I don't even play Fire Emblem oh, and I know series have more to offer then just sword wielders. I wish they would take a cue from Dragon Quest and make all the Lord characters into alternate skins.

At any rate, I'm Happy Dragon Quest Is in. Most of the popular RPGs oh there foundations to Dragon Quest, especially the Mother series. only a casual fan, having only finished the first three games in the series, if anything I come more for artwork of Akira Toriyama then the traditional RPG stuff. Although I will admit, cliche fantasy stuff that Dragon Quest offers is my absolute Jam. I feel like certain other RPG fixed rate a bit too far From that kind of thing for my liking. I'm hoping to become a bit less casual of a DQ fan, Dragon Quest 11 looks pretty good, if Port older games to the switch like they're doing with Final Fantasy , I will look into those too.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
the number of sword-wielding characters has never been an issue for me in Super Smash Brothers, It's the number of sword-wielding characters specifically from Fire Emblem that has been an issueFor me. I don't even play Fire Emblem oh, and I know series have more to offer then just sword wielders. I wish they would take a cue from Dragon Quest and make all the Lord characters into alternate skins.
Agree with this. This is what it's like being a fan of several sword users (that are still not playable).

:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultcorrin::ultrobin:
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:
:ultshulk:
:ultmetaknight:
:ultcloud:
:ultswordfighter:

Fire Emblem alone is HALF the swordsmen in the game. Now that Hero is in, at least the balance has shifted slightly to non-FE swordsmen > FE swordsmen.
But I feel FE has ruined swordsmen for everyone.
And there's still no Isaac, Takamaru, or Lloyd, so imagine what they have to go through now.
(Although I bet they won't get the beef DQ got, because they've been in the speculation scene so long, people already know they can at least do more than just swords).

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The swordsman critiscm is dumb, Corrin, Link, Meta Knight, Cloud, and the Hero all have swords but they play pretty different from one another.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see why people are so obsessed with arbitrary quotas. There's no rule saying this franchise can have this many sword fighters and we should work towards maintaining a balance.

Also turning clones into alts has no real benefit to anyone.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And there's still no Isaac, Takamaru, or Lloyd, so imagine what they have to go through now.
I actually would love to see Isaac, Takamaru, and Lloyd in Smash.

Oh, and the Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii I & II. I really want cats, dogs, and rabbits wielding swords. And they know magic!

D

Deleted member

I don't see why people are so obsessed with arbitrary quotas. There's no rule saying this franchise can have this many sword fighters and we should work towards maintaining a balance.

Also turning clones into alts has no real benefit to anyone.
Deeply agree with this.

As someone who had to deal for years with people who mocked anyone who wanted Dragon Quest in for the whole “AnImE sWoRdMeN” sillyness and now has to deal with similar people as a Crash supporter since “BaNjO mUsT bE tHe OnLy 90’S mAsCoT/wEsTeRn AnImAl On ThE pAsS” for them... one does get sick of that kind of arguments due to the lack of strength they have and how they tend to be used as a way to mock the supporters of said characters.

Smash is in the end a game, and we all are free to want the characters we would love to see in.
We shouldn’t shame someone for wanting specific characters such as Crash, Hayabusa, Lloyd or even Layton.
Just let people hope for their most wanted as long as they respect anyone else who doesn’t have to do so too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Talking a bit more indepth about DQ in Smash, I still feel great and happy about the Heroes we got in. The highlight for me being of course Eight.

I just feel excited to see Eight side to side with Samus on official media, something I couldn’t experience up until this day.
While I still hope about seeing Crash in to have one of my pipe dream crossovers completed, I feel that Dragon Quest has made Ultimate perfect the way it currently is now.

Hopefully the Dragon Quest content releases as soon as possible.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've actually never played any banjo or dragon quest games but I'm still more hyped for "the Hero" than banjo. Is that werid?
No. I think Hero's trailer did a better job at showing the character off. Banjo's trailer was just nostalgia bait.

Top Bottom