• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts/Discussion On Smash 4 Vs Street Fighter V

vertime

Smash Apprentice
God, please don't tear me a new one for what I'm about to write.
I have played many fighting games casually. Mortal Kombat (Right from Deception! That was on the original Xbox!), Street Fighter back in around 2004, Smash Bros, Marvel V Capcom, DC Vs MK, the lot and I've only come back to fighting games from a competitive standpoint recently because, well, I'm older now. It isn't about wasting time anymore, I play games because I enjoy them, I want to get better at them and I want to be able to form a genuine opinion on how good I think a game is. So, recently I've been running over all the Fighting games I used to play casually and seeing how the competitive scene checks out as well as how much I enjoy said fighting games when put under competitive circumstance. The two that have caught my eye the best, as you might be able to tell from the title, seem to have some sort of rivalry between them. Boy, I sure can pick 'em.

So, from a new player's perspective with a nostalgic overtone from both games, I give you my thoughts on the two games, how I view them, which one I believe is better and which one I think is a better fighting game overall.

Street Fighter V
Street Fighter V is a phenomenal game. It's fast paced, fun, adrenaline inducing fighting that is actually a hell of a lot smoother than some players make it out to be. I don't know if there was just a negative stigma on the game because it hasn't got a huge roster like SFIV does but hey, it's pretty damn good considering last time I played SF it was SFII on one of these things. I was a little upset they took out a few of the more memorable characters like Blanca and E.Honda, though they do make appearances in some cut-scenes and there is more DLC fighters to come, I do believe. Who knows? They might come through soon. I know a guy called Urien or something like that isn't out yet but is confirmed, so that's neat.

Smash 4
Smash is exceptional. It's a game that rewards ability and quick thinking along with having such advanced tech and a community that really pushes it so much farther up the amazing scale than almost every other fighting game. While the game itself is definitely hard to become a master of, it's very easy to find a character you like and start practicing. Beating people that you couldn't before is satisfying as hell and it's certainly come a long way from the days of Smash 64. It may have lost some of the "oomph" that came with Melee, the fanbase has stayed very loyal and because of that, we got to vote on who came into this game! That's really cool from the developers, I have to say. There is so much to this game, just look where you are! A dedicated forum for one of the most hype fighting games in existence with thousands upon thousands upon thousands of players!

Comparison To Smash
+ It's a hell of a lot easier to get in to and nowhere near as infuriating to lose (that's probably just a personal thing but, hey, these are my thoughts, stomach it.)
+ It looks a lot nicer in my opinion, though I believe that's only because Smash 4's art isn't really what I go for.
+ The characters, while there are only around 21 at the minute, I believe, are very interesting and all have a unique feel.
+ A CHARACTER THAT IS A BOXER THAT DOESN'T SUCK Balrog is a neat character.
+ A decent story with rewards that let you purchase costumes, colours, stages and Battle Tag customs
+Interesting setting compared to Smash's "It's a fighting tournament go win"
+Combos are not ridiculously hard to learn...
- ...But are nowhere near as rewarding
-It lacks as high a skill ceiling as Smash
-Generally isn't as fun/hype as Smash
-Fewer characters means less variation. Granted, that's fewer matchups but it's still something I like in a game.
-Lack of modes, not even a proper versus computer mode outside of setting Training to mimic the functions of a normal versus.
-Some members of the community are especially cringe-worthy or toxic
-There seems to be some sort of beef with Smash players, don't really know what that's about (Yeah, same guy, he's just a damn good example)
-Lacks a proper forum outside reddit
-Oh, my god, the tournaments are so horrendously boring to watch.
+-Some of the button inputs are just inefficient or frustrating to do, though Smash hasn't exactly got easy button inputs either.

All in all, it's a tough call. For a guy like me, that's never really been a competitive man, I much prefer the casual, kind feel of Street Fighter V. However, I can imagine that for people who value improvement and betterment over playing for fun, being goofy or screwing around with gimmicky mechanics, Smash would be their favourite.

Though it has to be said, the community of Smash is so much more amazing than the Street Fighter community. It's a joy to come here everyday and honestly I've been on the SF reddit twice and it's a full blown mess. While I may play Street Fighter more than Smash, I do love this community a hell of a lot more and that's certainly something each person on this forum can be proud of. You contribute to a wonderful collection of individuals that want to share their knowledge and improve along side you. It's pretty special that strangers can come together like we do here at Smashboards!
Of course if anyone here ALSO has played Street Fighter 5, I'd love to know your opinion on it too! Please, tell me I'm wrong! Tell me that Smash is better and why. I'd love to know your opinions.

Cheers for reading, buds.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Don't personally have anything against SF series (or Tekken / Sidescroller style fighting games in general), personally like higher skillcaps tho and the more fluid movement-based gameplay of Smash games in general.

Top Bottom