• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts and Ideas for a New Marvel vs Capcom

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
Hey, there. Now, even though the last Marvel vs Capcom game came out to a less than stellar response, I still really like the idea of the Marvel vs Capcom games. There is just something about the mash-up of Marvel and Capcom's classic characters in a fighting game format that is just so fun. So, I thought I'd start up a thread like this for folks to discuss the sorts of things we might want to see in a future Marvel vs Capcom game.

For me, when I think of fighters I'd like to see, I sort of enjoy thinking of in-game rivalries. It's a fun way to think up match-ups that could be fun. True, there are some characters I have some difficulties in figuring out a good rival for, but it's still a fun approach and some come naturally. For instance...

Ms. Marvel vs. Viewtiful Joe (superhero fans whose identities are inspired by other heroes)
Green Goblin vs. Arthur (a goblin foe against the classic knight)
Kingpin vs. Mike Haggar (powerful crime boss vs. wrestler turned mayor)
Silver Surfer vs. Fou-Lu (powerful beings whose views were changed by humanity)
Squirrel Girl vs. Dan Hibiki (Marvel's unbeatable hero vs. Capcom's weakest warrior)
Captain Marvel vs. Captain Commando (Marvel vs. CapCom)

So, what ideas do you other folks have on the subject?

AlRex

Smash Lord
I like these match-ups, and especially the Marvel newcomers could be interesting. I'd like a return to a more comic book-ish artstyle, and for X-Men/Fantastic Four characters to be allowed back in, especially since that and the artstyle of the previous one were two major sticking points and it'd help get some goodwill back. Then again, apparently Marvel was bad to work with last time, so maybe CAPCOM should just find someone else or retry "CAPCOM VS CAPCOM", sad as it is to say.

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
I like these match-ups, and especially the Marvel newcomers could be interesting. I'd like a return to a more comic book-ish artstyle, and for X-Men/Fantastic Four characters to be allowed back in, especially since that and the artstyle of the previous one were two major sticking points and it'd help get some goodwill back. Then again, apparently Marvel was bad to work with last time, so maybe CAPCOM should just find someone else or retry "CAPCOM VS CAPCOM", sad as it is to say.
Indeed. An all-Capcom fighting game could be a nice thing to see.

While it would most likely be a bit of a rights issue, I would personally love to see a Shonen Jump vs. Capcom game.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
As a fan of the Vs series and one that continued to defend MvCI even after it was apparent the game was dead in the water; I too would like to see that brand continue and use the failure that was MvCI as a lesson learned on not what to do. I imagine it had a lot to do with Marvel’s decisions that led to the game flopping (apparently they were horrid to work with compared to the previous game). I was even fine with the 2v2 and the lack of X Men.

I wrote out a roster I felt would of been better than what we got before but I lost it so I decided to redo it. Marvel is in red and Capcom is in blue. Bold characters are new additions to my list that were not included in MvCI.

1. Ryu
  2. Chun-li
  3. Akuma
  4. Morrigan
  5. Jeddah
  6. X
  7. Zero
  8. Sigma
  9. Dante
  10. Arthur
  11. Firebrand
  12. Haggar
  13. Chris
  14. Wesker
  15. Nemesis
  16. Monster Hunter
  17. Strider
  18. Frank West
  19. Asura
  20. Captain Commando
  21. Edward Falcon
  22. Batsu Ichimonji
  23. Amaterasu (DLC)
  24. Rashid (DLC)
  25. Leon Kennedy (DLC)
  26. Trom Bonne (DLC)
  27. Nina (DLC)
  28. Vergil (DLC)
  29. Sissel (DLC)
  30. Yukimura (DLC)
  31. Iron Man
  32. Captain America
  33. Thor
  34. Hawkeye
  35. Hulk
  36. Captain Marvel
  37. Black Panther
  38. Black Widow
  39. Captain Marvel
  40. Doctor Stranger
  41. Dormmamu
  42. Spider-man
  43. Venom
  44. Thanos
  45. Rocket Raccoon
  46. Starlord
  47. Ultron
  48. Squirrel Girl
  49. Loki
  50. Ant-Man
  51. Daredevil
  52. Punisher
  53. Iron Dragon (DLC)
  54. Nova (DLC)
  55. Scarlet Witch (DLC)
  56. Vision (DLC)
  57. Moon Knight (DLC)
  58. Mephisto (DLC)
  59. Ms Marvel (Khan) (DLC)
  60. Hulkbuster Armor

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
As a fan of UMvC3, its a shame MvCI had to flounder out w/o an earnest attempt to support it like SFV. It seems the consensus is that the gameplay has been the most invigorating out of the entire Vs. series. I have only spent sparse time playing thru the Arcade & some online matches, but the game's just dang fun to watch. The Stone mechanics & active switching are overall pretty unique & I hope they don't go to the wayside in some way for a future Vs. title.

To say what outright killed the game, is rather hard to distill. A lot of outcry has gone to the sterile, wonky artstyle & presentation that transmogrified a lot of fan favorite characters to mesh into this weird MCU-flavored photorealistic washed-out schlock (granted some of the newer characters like X or Jedah looked pretty true to form otherwise). Or how the low-effort fanfiction that was the Story Mode took an unnecessary proportion of dev time & resources that would be better spent tinkering the Multiplayer, online functionality, & the graphics. Not to mention the same cookie-cutter DLC practices where the 1st wave of DLC characters were complete before launch & might as well have been in the base roster. Hell, they excluded *freakin' Sigma* from being revealed with Ultron when he has a major story presence.

If we look at the final product compared to the MvC3 run, I think its endemic of how Capcom really doesn't have their schmidt together when it comes to managing their fighting game teams. The blunders of SFV & MvCI have ingrained a remorse within Capcom's staff for their disregard for quality control. Hopefully this means the next Capcom fighters will double-down hard on what made their older arcade titles or even SFVI & MvC3 feel awesome & grow to be financial hits. Perhaps its time for Arc vs.Capcom so Team Red can show them a thing or two a Capcom Fighting Jam to be their tour de force before trying to cross over with other companies or properties again. There's too many beloved Vs. series characters that it would be a shame to neglect them, right?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
As someone who is a huge fan of the Marvel Vs Capcom franchise, it is a shame that Infinite did not meet expectations. Anyways, if they were to improve the roster here is who I would like to see if they were to make a new sequel of Marvel Vs Capcom:

MARVEL:

1. Iron Man
  2. Captain Marvel
  3. Captain America
  4. Spider-Man
  5. Hulk
  6. Wolverine*
  7. Thor
  8. Dr. Strange
  9. Black Panther
  10. Winter Soldier
  11. Rocket Raccoon
  12. Black Widow
  13. Venom
  14. Deadpool*
  15. Ghost Rider
  16. Magneto*
  17. Storm*
  18. She-Hulk*
  19. Dr. Doom*
  20. Thanos
  21. Hawkeye
  22. Ultron
  23. Star-Lord
  24. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
  25. Shang-Chi
  26. The Mandarin
  27. Loki
  28. Scarlet Witch
  29. Ant-Man
  30. Magik
  31. Moon Knight
  32. An Eternal (Ikaris, Sersi, Makkari or Thena)
  33. Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen
  34. Black Knight
  35. Songbird
CAPCOM:
  1. Ryu
  2. Megaman X
  3. Morrigan Aensland
  4. Chun-Li
  5. Strider Hiryu
  6. Zero
  7. Sigma
  8. Dante
  9. Vergil*
  10. Arthur
  11. Firebrand
  12. Jedah Dohma
  13. Phoenix Wright*
  14. Frank West
  15. Albert Wesker*
  16. Monster Hunter
  17. Mike Haggar
  18. Viewtiful Joe*
  19. Amaterasu*
  20. Crimson Viper* or Juri Han?
  21. Nemesis T-Type
  22. Captain Commando*
  23. Gill
  24. Rashid
  25. Asura
  26. Leon S. Kennedy
  27. Regina
  28. Nina
  29. Edward Falcon
  30. June Lin Milliam
  31. Alastor
  32. Nero
  33. Lady
  34. Jon Talbain or Donovan Baine
  35. Chuck Greene
Other Notes:

• Arcade Endings: I was very surprised that there were no arcade endings featured within Infinite. I really hope that it will come back in the sequel.
  • Story Mode: I know that nowadays, story mode in fighting games have now become one of the main aspects. Whilst Infinite's story is better than Street Fighter V's, I really hope they can continue to improve this in the sequel.
  • Marketing: I remembered recalling the days during Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Ultimate that they had character trailers which not only played their character theme but also showed their gameplay which was full of hype. This is one of the aspects that I felt Infinite's marketing lacked and I do hope they can recapture the hype it once had.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
As a fan of the Vs series and one that continued to defend MvCI even after it was apparent the game was dead in the water; I too would like to see that brand continue and use the failure that was MvCI as a lesson learned on not what to do. I imagine it had a lot to do with Marvel’s decisions that led to the game flopping (apparently they were horrid to work with compared to the previous game). I was even fine with the 2v2 and the lack of X Men.

I wrote out a roster I felt would of been better than what we got before but I lost it so I decided to redo it. Marvel is in red and Capcom is in blue. Bold characters are new additions to my list that were not included in MvCI.

1. Ryu
  2. Chun-li
  3. Akuma
  4. Morrigan
  5. Jeddah
  6. X
  7. Zero
  8. Sigma
  9. Dante
  10. Arthur
  11. Firebrand
  12. Haggar
  13. Chris
  14. Wesker
  15. Nemesis
  16. Monster Hunter
  17. Strider
  18. Frank West
  19. Asura
  20. Captain Commando
  21. Edward Falcon
  22. Batsu Ichimonji
  23. Amaterasu (DLC)
  24. Rashid (DLC)
  25. Leon Kennedy (DLC)
  26. Trom Bonne (DLC)
  27. Nina (DLC)
  28. Vergil (DLC)
  29. Sissel (DLC)
  30. Yukimura (DLC)
  31. Iron Man
  32. Captain America
  33. Thor
  34. Hawkeye
  35. Hulk
  36. Captain Marvel
  37. Black Panther
  38. Black Widow
  39. Captain Marvel
  40. Doctor Stranger
  41. Dormmamu
  42. Spider-man
  43. Venom
  44. Thanos
  45. Rocket Raccoon
  46. Starlord
  47. Ultron
  48. Squirrel Girl
  49. Loki
  50. Ant-Man
  51. Daredevil
  52. Punisher
  53. Iron Dragon (DLC)
  54. Nova (DLC)
  55. Scarlet Witch (DLC)
  56. Vision (DLC)
  57. Moon Knight (DLC)
  58. Mephisto (DLC)
  59. Ms Marvel (Khan) (DLC)
  60. Hulkbuster Armor
In regards to Marvel and Capcom's cooperation, you're not exactly wrong. It would be best to watch this for more detail:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I remember a while ago when someone on Reddit asked Dasvergeben aka Vergeben on GameFAQs about whether there is a future update for MvC:I:

"No one knows anything substantial. Believe me. I've been asking around. All that is known is that an update is real and happening. No one has any details that have leaked out regarding what exactly is happening with it or what all characters it will be adding and ect. yet."

"The characters that I and people like Max have heard (Star-Lord, Ms. Marvel, Asura, Gill, Lady, and Rashid / Vergil) would be the most locked in logical inclusions to expect though. That is at least until something substantial does come out about it, that is the place to start with when it comes to expectations."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/mvci/comme...aker_dasvergeben_about_the/e7biq2r/?context=3

In addition, he also claimed that:

"Street Fighter VI and MvC4 are both in development for next gen consoles as I have said before. SFVI will likely be out first from what I have heard because they're taking their time with MvC4."

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonques...st_game_events_in_lonalulu/eo2omls/?context=3

Now I know Vergeben has got some things which he had proven to be corrent and some that has yet to be proved. If what he said is true then, I would believe Capcom are taking their time to get things right with Marvel Vs Capcom 4. Capcom has recently been doing pretty well so far since reviving Megaman 11, Devil May Cry 5 and the remake of Resident Evil 2, I just hope that their fighting game division will be able to amend their past mistakes in whatever fighting game they will do next.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Y'all disappoint me not a single mention of Gambit, Cable, Jin Saotome, hell even any other legacy character. Might as well just make MvCI 2.0 while we're at it. I don't want no new MvC if we ain't bring in any of the classics. I'll wait as long as it takes. Just don't forget where it came from.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I think that the next MvC title would benefit from having a having a vibrant, poppy color palette distilled to certain overall shades and tones, alongside possessing a 2D-pixel artstyle that would function as a callback to the first 2 MvC games, albeit with finely detailed high quality sprites and renders. Although, there are many potential artstyles that could work. The main point is that having a strong visual identity for the next MvC game would work immensely in its favor, and it wouldn't hurt to throw in heavy stylization and visual flair into the mix, something MvC3 had an edge in over Infinite.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I think that the next MvC title would benefit from having a having a vibrant, poppy color palette distilled to certain overall shades and tones, alongside possessing a 2D-pixel artstyle that would function as a callback to the first 2 MvC games, albeit with finely detailed high quality sprites and renders. Although, there are many potential artstyles that could work. The main point is that having a strong visual identity for the next MvC game would work immensely in its favor, and it wouldn't hurt to throw in heavy stylization and visual flair into the mix, something MvC3 had an edge in over Infinite.
Considering the errors they made with their art and graphical direction in MvC:I, I would think that Capcom will need to take their time with the development of the next Marvel Vs Capcom and ensure that the design is much more polished.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd like to see the next game have an artstyle that meshes together comic book (for Marvel) and manga (for Capcom) artstyles, but if that's too unfocused, then just go for the comic book artstyle like in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, but for the love of fun, allow the colors to be vibrant where they need to be. I think the game should go back to the 3v3 format, drop the Infinity Stones, but keep the active tag system. As for the roster, I'd do this (italic is new to the 3D games, bold is new to the series):
  1. Amaterasu
  2. Amingo
  3. Arthur
  4. Asura
  5. B. B. Hood
  6. Batsu
  7. Captain Commando
  8. Chun-Li
  9. Dante
  10. Dr. Wily
  11. Edward Falcon
  12. Haggar
  13. Jill
  14. Ken
  15. M. Bison
  16. Mega Man
  17. Monster Hunter
  18. Morrigan
  19. Phoenix Wright
  20. Rathelos
  21. Ruby Heart
  22. Ryu
  23. SonSon
  24. Strider Hiryu
  25. Vergil
  26. Viewtiful Joe
  27. Wesker
  28. X
  29. Zero
  1. Black Panther
  2. Cable
  3. Captain America
  4. Captain Marvel
  5. Cyclops
  6. Daredevil
  7. Deadpool
  8. Doctor Doom
  9. Doctor Strange
  10. Gambit
  11. Hulk
  12. Iron Man
  13. Lockjaw
  14. Magneto
  15. Ms Marvel
  16. Phoenix
  17. Psylocke
  18. Rocket
  19. Rogue
  20. Scarlet Witch
  21. Sentinel
  22. Spider-Man
  23. Star Lord
  24. Storm
  25. Thanos
  26. Thor
  27. Ultron
  28. Venom
  29. Wolverine

Random things I'd include:
  • Special character vs. themes.
    • Special themes would play instead of the stage theme during certain lead character matchups. For example, Mega Man and Ryu as the lead characters would cause the boss theme from Mega Man x Street fighter to play, or Captain America and Iron Man as the lead characters would cause a Civil War theme to play.
  • Team Hyper Combos
    • Certain characters can team up to preform more powerful level 3 (2 characters) or level 5 (3 characters) Hyper Combos. For example Ryu, Ken, and X can preform Father-Son Kamehameha Shinku Hadouken at the same time to make a much more powerful beam. These potential pairings are not restricted to characters from the same series or company. Any characters that can combine their abilities in interesting ways can get one.
  • When a team with Mega Man on it K.O.s an opponent, Dr. Light will send Mega Man a special weapon inspired by the character complete with a Mega Man 11 style redesign to signify which weapon he has active. For example, defeating Wolverine gives him Swiss Cheese Berserker Barrage. Just like in his home series, the special weapons cost energy to use. Some characters can even give him a less powerful version of their super, but he can only use it once.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

It will be real cool if they can put more of this in the next Marvel Vs Capcom where more characters can do this. For example an almighty ultimate super combo with Iron Man, Captain America and Thor or perhaps Nero, Dante and Vergil.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
OH BOY, TIME TO SHILL MY MVC4 ROSTER
alright i guess it's time to post my Epic Gamer MVC4 (or 5 if you wanna count infinite) Roster
So the way I envision it, MVC4 (I'm just calling it that from now on) would go back to 3's comic book artsyle. But I say go even crazier. Make everything look even more like a comic book, go NUTS on the lighting engine, all that jazz. Also, have an in-game store with in-game currency (NO MICROTRANSACTIONS), where you can buy all kinds of cool stuff. Costumes, extra intros and victory screens, alternate music tracks, artwork, make the unlockables actually worth it unlike most Capcom fighting games these days. Also, bring back arcade endings, but also have arcade BEGINNINGS, and have some of the arcade modes throw in some extra fanservice. For example, Mega Man's Arcade Mode begins with the robot master select select screen, and you can select any of the fights in whatever order you want instead of fighting in a set order like the rest of the arcade modes. In terms of gameplay, you have the option to do either 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3. So you can fight like a traditional fighting game, fight in Infinite's gameplay style since that's like the one thing Infinite did right, or you can simply engage in some pure good old-fashioned Mahvel. X-Factor is completely gone and the Infinity Stones are a separate mode. One last thing: make it a celebration. Make it a celebration of Marvel, make it a celebration of Capcom, and most of all, make it a celebration of Marvel vs Capcom itself. Have tons of nods to earlier games, what if we had footage from previous games in the background of the character select screen, what if we had completely remade versions of classic stages as unlockables, all that stuff, pull a Smash Ultimate and show off MvC's history as much as possible.

Aight, roster time: newcomers are in bold and characters who haven't been seen since 2 are in italics.

Capcom:
Ryu
Chun-Li
Morrigan
Zero
Strider Hiryu
Tron Bonne
Wesker
Phoenix Wright
Dante
Vergil
Monster Hunter
Mega Man
Captain Commando

Juri
Mike Haggar
Akira Kazama
Jon Talbain
Lady

Jill Valentine
Franziska von Karma
Hayato
A Cyberbots rep (either Jin or Devilotte)
Viewtiful Joe
Amaterasu
Frank West
Edward Falcon
Nina
Asura

Marvel:
Spider-Man
Iron Man
Captain America
The Hulk
Thor
Wolverine
Storm
Magneto
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Thanos
Scarlet Witch
Star-Lord

Psylocke
Daredevil
Venom
Kamala Khan
Doctor Strange
Blade
Gambit
Fantastic Four (with Mister Fantastic as the main fighter and the others popping up for most attacks)
Black Widow
Squirrel Girl
Gwenpool
Green Goblin

Shuma-Gorath

dezeray112

Smash Hero
With Yoshinori Ono leaving, I would probably think that the Capcom fighting game division should take as much time as they need with a new Marvel Vs Capcom game and not to make any further mistakes.

I predict there will be a new Marvel Vs Capcom game probably within a few years for the next gen consoles.

Oddball

Smash Lord
So here's a little roster I whipped up.

Marvel
Spider-man
Punisher
Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Black Panther
Captain America
Kang
Hulk