• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts about Windows 8.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Windows 8 is a new computer coming out this October. I've been seeing commercials of them and it's features, and I think it's pretty cool. But I'd like to know what you think of it. Will be putting specs and etc in a few, but here's a Wikipedia link to start with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Like with any operating system, I am not excited for it, but I am not against it either. It's a welcome change. I've played around with Windows 8 quite a bit, and I think it's pretty nice. It may be harmful to the gamers or hardcore users, but for the average college student, business user, or mom...the attempt to bring tablet and PC together is pretty cool.

Pair a desktop at home with a surface tablet that runs office, and it feels like you can do anything and everything anywhere.

I like the metro interface as well. It's pretty snappy and definitely has a modern/fashiontista way of displaying information.

A bit skeptical on the "People" tab which can connect facebook and Skype. I'm more concerned about Twitter and other IM services.

Also, I am an Android Phone user, but I may consider switching to WP8 depending on how that plays out. Lumia 920 is so beast.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Switching from Android to WP8 is like switching from a smart phone to a flip phone.

Windows Phone really never took off with the apps that make a smart phone worth while, and the UI is a mess all around, plus no deep modding from what I've seen.

One of my friends has a WP7, and he hates it so much.

I've heard a TON of negative things about Windows 8 regarding gaming. I'd wager this will go the way of Windows ME.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I've used a couple computers that had Windows 8 so far at my computer repair job; I'm not too much of a fan of it.

Metro is just .... weird to me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Switching from Android to WP8 is like switching from a smart phone to a flip phone.

Windows Phone really never took off with the apps that make a smart phone worth while, and the UI is a mess all around, plus no deep modding from what I've seen.

One of my friends has a WP7, and he hates it so much.

I've heard a TON of negative things about Windows 8 regarding gaming. I'd wager this will go the way of Windows ME.
To me, Android is just too fragmented. I appreciate how open it can be, especially if you root it. However, when I look at a phone, I want it to last long and remain efficient under the standard "2 year" contract.

I got my Android device when it first came out, and it was considered close to a premium phone. My dad got the Galaxy 1. Both phones are slow, buggy, and have stopped receiving any sort of updates, which makes me miss out on all the features IC and Jelly Bean provide.

Also, I am personally not an app user. I mean, I have about 40-50 apps and only use about 5 consistently, 10 overall. If I were to get an Android phone this coming holidays, it would be the LG Nexus, just so I can always receive Google updates.

I do enjoy the customization of Android, but on the flip side, it is a time consuming thing. Mainly because I am so OCD about these sort of things, and I spend hours until I get it "right".

I've played with Windows Phone several times, I've got a chance to handle the HTC 8X, and it's a really nice phone. It runs efficiently, works well, and is good for a "business" oriented person like me.

Overall though, I'm a lover of all tech. I don't enjoy submitting myself to an "ecosystem" despite some benefits it can give you. I run a MBP, might have a Windows phone, and will probably get the updated Nexus 7.

Also, the camera on the Lumia 920 is just flat out stupid (in a good way). If you do your research, it blows anything right now out of the water, and I really mean that. Having a camera phone like that would be soooo handy for me.

Here are two good examples of the Lumia 920's camera in action.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3299784/nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera-hi-res-photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARckSCU8vMw

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
To me, Android is just too fragmented. I appreciate how open it can be, especially if you root it. However, when I look at a phone, I want it to last long and remain efficient under the standard "2 year" contract.

I got my Android device when it first came out, and it was considered close to a premium phone. My dad got the Galaxy 1. Both phones are slow, buggy, and have stopped receiving any sort of updates, which makes me miss out on all the features IC and Jelly Bean provide.

Also, I am personally not an app user. I mean, I have about 40-50 apps and only use about 5 consistently, 10 overall. If I were to get an Android phone this coming holidays, it would be the LG Nexus, just so I can always receive Google updates.

I do enjoy the customization of Android, but on the flip side, it is a time consuming thing. Mainly because I am so OCD about these sort of things, and I spend hours until I get it "right".

I've played with Windows Phone several times, I've got a chance to handle the HTC 8X, and it's a really nice phone. It runs efficiently, works well, and is good for a "business" oriented person like me.

Overall though, I'm a lover of all tech. I don't enjoy submitting myself to an "ecosystem" despite some benefits it can give you. I run a MBP, might have a Windows phone, and will probably get the updated Nexus 7.

Also, the camera on the Lumia 920 is just flat out stupid (in a good way). If you do your research, it blows anything right now out of the water, and I really mean that. Having a camera phone like that would be soooo handy for me.

Here are two good examples of the Lumia 920's camera in action.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3299784/nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera-hi-res-photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARckSCU8vMw
The fragmentation issue is solely caused by carriers and such. I have a Galaxy Nexus, run Cyanogenmod, and I have been on Jelly Bean since early August, whereas the GNex has yet to receive an update to JB, officially. I also have a Xoom, which I think didn't even get ICS yet, and it's on Jelly Bean. Finally, the Motorola Droid, which came out over two years ago is still getting updates, and received Jelly Bean via custom ROMs.

As for Nexus 7, rumors are the Nexus 10 by Samsung will be announced on Monday.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Carriers take too long handing out the updates though, and it is just frustrating for me at times. HTC is really bad with it.

And yeah, I'll be sticking to a Nexus 7 rather than 10 simply because I prefer 7 inch tablets, and it's something that will be in the house only to use for things like Skype and what not.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMG, I feel so old. I read an article and it showed a 3 year old going through windows 8 without a problem, but older people having trouble through it.

I didn't know about computers back then, and even if I did...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_SE/30 is the computer that was released when I was 3

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
it's only because we're used to 7 and people absolutely despise change

Top Bottom