• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Those who fight further: The Cloud Meta-Game Discussion/Community Guide

Juno97

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tenkenjin
I think Cloud is ridiculous with Tap Jump

- Double sticking lets you instant Uair out of short hop and instantly Fast Fall. It's also the most consistent at doing so and most frame perfect out of all other options. This also lets you hit taller characters because you're making the hitbox come out as low as possible.
- Allows for Shield Canceled Jumps out of Limit Charge instead of manually canceling Limiit Charge with the Special Move button and then Jumping. In other words, allows for instant Uair/Nair out of Limit Charge
- Easy Climhazzard out of shield

Bascially, it offers more options and more options is always good for mixups and keeping the opponent guessing and scared to approach you while charging Limit

Eureka

Smash Ace
I think Cloud is ridiculous with Tap Jump

- Double sticking lets you instant Uair out of short hop and instantly Fast Fall. It's also the most consistent at doing so and most frame perfect out of all other options. This also lets you hit taller characters because you're making the hitbox come out as low as possible.
- Allows for Shield Canceled Jumps out of Limit Charge instead of manually canceling Limiit Charge with the Special Move button and then Jumping. In other words, allows for instant Uair/Nair out of Limit Charge
- Easy Climhazzard out of shield

Bascially, it offers more options and more options is always good for mixups and keeping the opponent guessing and scared to approach you while charging Limit
  • Setting your second stick to tilt let's you buffer up airs just as well if not easier.
  • You can cancel limit into shield and then instantly jump out of shield without tap jump.
  • Doing an up b out if shield should be easy enough to do without tap jump.
The second two you don't even need tap jump for, and the first one you don't need tap jump for if you have your second stick start to tilt (which you should probably have as Cloud anyway) and you don't need to deal with all the other hassles of tap jump.

Juno97

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tenkenjin
Many people only have the X button for their jump button so if you want to buffer SHFFAC Uairs you will need to claw grip with Y button as the Jump button or use Z as Jump. It is hard to be frame perfect with X for Jump if you don't have a fast thumb.

The only problem there is that those options for frame perfect SHFFAC Uairs are more inconsistent and sometimes when you want a SH Uair you end up doing a Full Hop Uair

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Many people only have the X button for their jump button so if you want to buffer SHFFAC Uairs you will need to claw grip with Y button as the Jump button or use Z as Jump. It is hard to be frame perfect with X for Jump if you don't have a fast thumb.

The only problem there is that those options for frame perfect SHFFAC Uairs are more inconsistent and sometimes when you want a SH Uair you end up doing a Full Hop Uair
If you're using a GameCube controller setting either l, r, or z to jump is exactly what you should be doing if you're using tilt stick. Either way controller settings are preference, but the point is that you can do all the stuff you mentioned without having to use tap jump just as easily.

Andrew Yang

Smash Rookie
Looking for some advice to beat Ryu. The crux of my problem is his Down-B. My only attack options against that seem to be jab, F-smash, and limit side-B... maybe grab if he misspaces. But I can't seem to challenge his down-B safely in the air. Any ideas on how to beat Ryu's down-B, and any suggestions on the general matchup?

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
You can bait out Ryu's Focus using Cloud's amazing foxtrot; just weaving in and out can cause Ryu to release Focus early and suffer lag.

8383d3 90 90 10 hundred

Smash Apprentice
sideB works in the air. you can also cancel dash->limit-charge-cancel-jab on the ground. and just jab. or just sideB. or just avoid him, your movement is great and mobility is high

circuspig

Day Negative 92 Simon Main
Apologies if this post seems lazy. I'm going to a tourney soon, and I feel like playing Cloud. What should I abuse? Thanks

The Dismisser

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Not sure if this was asked already but does anyone have good tips for dealing with fast and/or aggressive characters (e.g. Falcon, Sonic, Fox)? I've been trying to space them out with aerials and use a jab, tilt or throw at close range but they always catch me during start-up lag on things like Nair or Utilt, which eventually leads to a swift edge guard. I would really appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I like to use a lot of autocancel dair in those matchups and platform camp

TheblackGreninjaplayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1263-7292-8817
circuspig circuspig When you play, use dair ALOT, but don't use it to make it easily telegraphed. Use stages with platforms to camp with limit charge with fair and stages with short blast zones to kill earlier with your usual kill moves. Cloud has an awesome initial dash - Try using his extended dash it to bait your opponents, but don't dash dance at the same pattern (Aka left-right-left etc.) Make left-right-right-left-right-left-right-right stuff etc, of course if you have enough stage control.

Hope this helps.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do combos change between being normal and having Limit Charge? I know fastfall timing is different for Uairs, but do you feel a difference in how your combo game changes?

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
I guess tap jump is just a matter of preference though. Btw, does anyone here knows the controller configuration of Tweek/ his inputs? He always amazes me with his fluid movement and aerials, while keeping all the air speed momentum

Last edited:

The Dismisser

Smash Rookie
keeping momentum on his aerials must mean that he's using the C-stick to do aerials independently of where he moves his character, so that's probably on attack or smash (pls don't quote me, idk what controller he uses :p) (Edit: when I watch some of his sets I notice a GameCube controller on the playercam, so yeah). Doing so gives you more fluid movement more easily since the left stick is free to move left or right. If he's doing moving Nairs, he probably set c-stick to attack and moved it into the diagonal directions. Also he's probably building momentum by jumping just after starting a foxtrot or something but yeah. To be honest I'm not fully sure though, but hope this helps.
Also My Smash Corner did a YouTube video on controller configurations that might have some more insight, I'd highly recommend it

As for Cloud's combos with Limit active, I don't feel a huge difference but I do know that down throw true combos into Nair at low-mid %, which could lead to some prowerful strings. The difference I feel is that, since my training partner plays Fox and Mewtwo, I find that Fox gets easier combos plus keeps his KO setups later when I have Limit, and I feel a difference in that regard

Last edited:

FrozenFlame16

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure Cloud can get Limit Cross Slash after a ledge trump. If its timed correctly I think its true, any thoughts?

The Dismisser

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure Cloud can get Limit Cross Slash after a ledge trump. If its timed correctly I think its true, any thoughts?

Haven't tried it but makes sense. Might be a little risky though, so I personally use Bair.

Edit: maybe not risky, but as someone who likes having a more favorable situation to land Cross Slash I personally don't. Idk if it's true but it works tho, I looked around and saw videos of people landing it

I apologize for the upcoming wall of text, not a rant I promise. I just like walls of text :p

Ok so I've played against a few people who spam Link's smashes like its For Glory and I can't punish ANY of them, nor the rolls they spam afterwards, so I get destroyed.
Now it's not like I lack experience either, I've placed really well at locals.
I've been told to focus on reading instead of reacting but for some reason my reads fail too. Here's what I tried:
Dtilt always misses, Dash attack misses and gets punished because it's not safe, aerials miss and usually get punished, I can't shield grab because low range, jab works every now and then but doesn't really help, blade beam helps at long range but not for long.
Anyone know what might have helped them?

tldr: I get rekt by smash attack spammers :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom