• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thomas (Kung-Fu) for SSBB?

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
is there anyone else out there that thinks Thomas from Kung-Fu needs to be in Smash Bros.?

sure, it's a simplistic game by today's standards, but this was an NES release title. it was also the very first Nintendo game bought by many of us.

i mean, this guy has classic written all over him, and when i wasn't playing mario, i was playing Kung-Fu trying to save my girl Sylvia from Mr. X. i fought snakes, *******, dragons, exploding balls, endless grabby minions, a guy with a stick, guys with knives, dwarf magicians, a guy with a boomerang, and a really big guy. ;) i mean, this was a tough fight through Mr. X's tower. =)

not to mention that adding Thomas, a straight-up martial artist, could quiet down all the calls for Ryu and Street Fighter characters. who needs Ryu when we have our very own, homegrown boy right here? Thomas could kick Ryu's butt. ;)

so, i'm pro adding Thomas with a Mr. X alternate color, and i want to see if anyone else out there is with me on this!

you can try the game online here (it's been altered a bit):

http://www.jokaroo.com/games/kungfunintendo.html

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
Oh yes.

I suggested Thomas in my request to the Brawl developers. He's one of the original nintendo chracters, definitely one of the first to have a name or story. To some he is generic, yes, but that is largely a function of when it came out (1985, same as SMB). There was nothing particuarly special about the ice climbers until the Melee team gave them life, making them one of the most interesting characters in the game. The same can be done for Thomas.

*Raises hand for Thomas in SSBB*
*and Little Mac*

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
Yep, I'm sure Sakurai and his guys have more than enough talent and vision to easily transform the mostly featureless characters of the eighties and early nineties into graphically advanced, yet still recognizable versions of their former selves.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
hear hear!

i can't really explain it, but the way i see him in my head, all modern and rendered for Smash, is just awesome and epic and dynamic. a young man, wind tossing his gi, belt and hair, the epitome of martial artist, just bristeling with power in his muscles, ready to unleash fierce punches and kicks upon his opponents when an opening presents itself, moving with blistering speed and purpose.

ah, Thomas. how mighty you could be once again.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Yeah, I mean just looking at Pit is a perfect example of how Nintendo can update classics. Check the progression from his NES days, the cartoon drawing of him, his trophy in SSBM, and his appearance in SSBB. I would prefer Little Mac over Thomas by far, but I wouldn't protest his inclusion.

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
Man. I pwned this game when I was a kid. Mr. X ws my *****.

Would I use him in SSBB? Sure. Would I main him? Most likely not.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
I think this is a great idea. Looking at Pit and the IC's, there could be a pretty good chance of him getting in. He would be a cool character to be thrown in to round out the character selection of new and classic characters. Great idea :)

-SMB

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i'm glad to hear that other people can see the potential in Thomas. =) so please remembef to vote for Thomas on the japanese survey! =)

In Japan, Kung-Fu was called "Spartan X." i have no idea why. ;)

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
He'd be a cool secret character like Mr. Game and Watch. Keep him all pixelated and everything.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Omni, a friend of mine suggested the exact same thing. it's not my preference, but i'll take what i can get. ;)

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I can tell you what Thomas would look like in 3D.....

He'd be a young Jackie Chan. It's not well known, but KUNG-FU (the video game, not the TV show, obviously) was based on the Chan moive "Spartan X" (AKA Meals on Wheels), the Japanese version is actually called Spartan X. When the game was released in America, the story was changed a bit and the Jackie Chan connection was removed.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
they'd have to give him SOME sort of appearance update.

his outfit is way too generic.
but i wouldn't mind seeing him in there.
little mac and thomas would be great additions, imho.

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
A boxer and a true martial artist. No weapons or any of that ninja stuff, even though those things are cool, pure fighters would add an interesting dynamic.

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
I guess Falcon is a fighter, but he wasn't one in his games, so he doesn't fulfill the most important qualification in my mind.

LOL I can't stop thinking about SSBB!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Poor thomas...

+BUMP+

Yeah, Kung Fu is one of my favorite games, and I think a chaarcter from a Brawler game can fit well into a game called BRAWL after all :)

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Thats a great idea. I thought Kung Fu was a 3rd party game but now looking at the cover I was wrong. He would be great to put in.

1. Classic game with easily added moves
2. No weapon fighter
3. I want to see Thomas and Little Mac go at it.

You could also add some new moves that actually be from Kung Fu fighting style.

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
I'm glad some1 bumped this thread or else I would have never seen it. I've been wanting Thomas to be in SSBB sinse I first heard about it. Also I would probly main with him. Just imagine he cool he'd look 3-dimensionalized.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Just found out. Irem is still around, but they are Playstation exclusive. They are also known for R-Type games *smacks head* DUH >.<

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Just found out. Irem is still around, but they are Playstation exclusive. They are also known for R-Type games *smacks head* DUH >.<
But do they still have the rights to Thomas. speaking R-type game has anyone played the Kung Fu Remix on Newgrounds. Here's the link but but warn it's pretty violent but really fun.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/195816

Anyway if it's possible to put Thomas in here is a movelist

B: Chin Na (acts like Marth's VB attack)
^B: Crane Kick (Thomas famous jump kick from the game, use as a recovery)
>B: Iron Palm (a quick charge attack that makes the person drop instantly without flying)
VB: Drunken Monkey (Looks like he falls down but then backflips hitting everyone around
him)
Super Move: Dim Mak (he strikes a target opponet and that person keeps losing life until
he/she is KO)
Taunt: Faces the screen and salutes Canton Hung Gar style and gives a "Heh, heh"

I guess you give him some Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter moves but I like the real martial art style.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

In the Chronicle screenshot:

It has "Kung Fu" in the list of NES titles by Nintendo. Kung Fu is actually the NES port of the arcade title by Irem, "Kung Fu Master". Perhaps the reason why its in the list is that Nintendo published the NES version. 10-Yard Fight is also another Irem arcade title which was ported to the NES either by Nintendo or Irem and was published by Nintendo.

Well, this could either make him playable or not. Most likely he will not appear at all.

And by the way, has anyone seen these videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2pDLJgdKBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3mpbx0wFks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQUkK4XNAvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VI4scf7O0s

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
heeh, nice vids. =)

i think the time of character hope has now passed. we can dream of what could have been, but let's try and enjoy what brawl now is. =)

Top Bottom