• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This might not be Smash-related, but this video brings up a lot of points and mentions Smash.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bIrQdcJV8

Yeah....if you're able to handle the points this guy throws out, prepare to be triggered by the people being interviewed.

Summary: Venture Beat's Interview with Daisuke Ishiwatari (developer of Guilty Gear) and Toshimichi Mori (developer of BlazBlue) on BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle sheds some light on some pretty notable misconceptions from them about the Western audiences when it comes to fighting games in general, including how we enjoy Marvel vs. Capcom and Smash Bros..

(MvC and Smash Bros. being games where we "jam buttons"? Hell no.)

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Ok, I read it. In the previous interviews I read about BBTAG, they always sayed that the RWBY audience was the reasoning for having auto-combos and simple gameplay on the surface execution-wise. I do not know exactly if I can fault them for their opinions if they only decided to use one tourney as a sample, and top 8 at that.

I understand what you and the developers are saying about Smash and Street Fighter from an outside perspective and just looking in it can appear that way. I hope they can learn more about the games and actually learn the in-depth stuff (minus mind-games since they skipped that) rather than calling everything button mashing.

The misconceptions and the interviewers comments of his own scene did not really help. It painted the picture that Westerners are casuals but there may be some truth in it since the anime/air-dasher games have a smaller fanbase in the states.

I for one, struggle when it comes to implement air-dashes mid-combo but MVC players and Arc-System Works players make it work. Eh, I'm just repeating myself. They had a small sample size, and I see a trend in interviews that foreign developers (notably Capcom Japan with Yoshinori Ono take the opinion of a few Americans as representing the whole country. It might be a culture thing or maybe very little of overseas feedback reaches their ears or they look at it from a broad sense and try to desperately capture the huge market that is the NA casual auidience when time and time again it has been shown that they will not stay for long except for a small group.

I'm looking forward to Evo 2018 for Melee since the Arc-System President or one of the two people in thw interview I read (forgot who) will be entering Melee and will practice for it since that game has a huge lead in the poll for what game he should enter and practice with Smaah Wii U in 2nd.

Edit: And just because it wasm EVO, the advertised largest FGC tourney in the world does not mean that what happens there represents everything and is accurate.

The article is not really triggering to me, just unfortunate.

Edit 2: Added some more stuff throughout the post, you might want to read it a 2nd time to catch the parts I added since I decided to not throw them at the bottom.

Edit 3: Watching the video now, I'm halfway through it and I agree with this guy a-lot. I have heard of this guy being referenced from time to time but never bothered to search him on youtube. He earned a new sub from me.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Ok, I read it. In the previous interviews I read about BBTAG, they always sayed that the RWBY audience was the reasoning for having auto-combos and simple gameplay on the surface execution-wise. I do not know exactly if I can fault them for their opinions if they only decided to use one tourney as a sample, and top 8 at that.

I understand what you and the developers are saying about Smash and Street Fighter from an outside perspective and just looking in it can appear that way. I hope they can learn more about the games and actually learn the in-depth stuff (minus mind-games since they skipped that) rather than calling everything button mashing.

The misconceptions and the interviewers comments of his own scene did not really help. It painted the picture that Westerners are casuals but there may be some truth in it since the anime/air-dasher games have a smaller fanbase in the states.

I for one, struggle when it comes to implement air-dashes mid-combo but MVC players and Arc-System Works players make it work. Eh, I'm just repeating myself. They had a small sample size, and I see a trend in interviews that foreign developers (notably Capcom Japan with Yoshinori Ono take the opinion of a few Americans as representing the whole country. It might be a culture thing or maybe very little of overseas feedback reaches their ears or they look at it from a broad sense and try to desperately capture the huge market that is the NA casual auidience when time and time again it has been shown that they will not stay for long except for a small group.

I'm looking forward to Evo 2018 for Melee since the Arc-System President or one of the two people in thw interview I read (forgot who) will be entering Melee and will practice for it since that game has a huge lead in the poll for what game he should enter and practice with Smaah Wii U in 2nd.

Edit: And just because it wasm EVO, the advertised largest FGC tourney in the world does not mean that what happens there represents everything and is accurate.

The article is not really triggering to me, just unfortunate.

Edit 2: Added some more stuff throughout the post, you might want to read it a 2nd time to catch the parts I added since I decided to not throw them at the bottom.

Edit 3: Watching the video now, I'm halfway through it and I agree with this guy a-lot. I have heard of this guy being referenced from time to time but never bothered to search him on youtube. He earned a new sub from me.
First off, I need to say I for one am NOT agreeing with the bias that "Smash is a button-mash/jamming" game. Sure, the game wasn't meant to be competitive...but now it's your typical fighting game with enough depth for it to require A TON of execution, honestly.

And sadly, communities are so scarce outside of Japan which causes a lot of players to just stagnate. For some reason, League of Legends has better competition in the US compared to anime-air-dash-fighters (save for Korea).

Edit: I also meant that "be triggered by the people being interviewed", cause nate sure was.

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
First off, I need to say I for one am NOT agreeing with the bias that "Smash is a button-mash/jamming" game. Sure, the game wasn't meant to be competitive...but now it's your typical fighting game with enough depth for it to require A TON of execution, honestly.

And sadly, communities are so scarce outside of Japan which causes a lot of players to just stagnate. For some reason, League of Legends has better competition in the US compared to anime-air-dash-fighters (save for Korea).

Edit: I also meant that "be triggered by the people being interviewed", cause nate sure was.
Anyone who says Smash is a button masher has clearly never played the game.

If you are button mashing in Smash Bros, then you aren't playing the game right and you will not get far.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
To people who rarely play videogames or are unfamiliar with them, button-mashing is the way to go. I blame Western movies, tv shows, commercials, and stereotypes for that. It's like all they know.

Edit: The only thing that upset me when I first heard of this interview weeks ago was the internet statement. It felt like an afterthought, and that was mentioned in an article preview ans I think the smash comparison and talk above was left out.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
To people who rarely play videogames or are unfamiliar with them, button-mashing is the way to go. I blame Western movies, tv shows, commercials, and stereotypes for that. It's like all they know.

Edit: The only thing that upset me when I first heard of this interview weeks ago was the internet statement. It felt like an afterthought, and that was mentioned in an article preview ans I think the smash comparison and talk above was left out.
Alas, one doesn't "have to play the game the right way", nor do Japanese games have to cater to their foreign audiences....but this overall mindset mixed in with their supposed intent is just a horrible combination.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Sometimes, I feel like they rarely do. Hopefully with the ArcSys offfic in NA, that can change.

Top Bottom