• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"This is the path of my destiny!" - Ryu Discussion Thread

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Ryu, the face of the Street Fighter series, was certainly a surprising - but welcome - addition to Smash 4. Being the first 3rd party DLC character, he also gave Capcom a 2nd rep; something that had yet to be done for any 3rd party company at that point.

Ryu's playstyle was also quite unique, with the introduction of an LMH (light, medium and heavy) system in the vein of Street Fighter; this was utilized not only in his grounded attacks but his specials as well. On top of this, he had access to the original inputs for his special moves, which would provide stronger versions if you were able to execute them.

With Smash Switch on the horizon, one has to wonder if Ryu will Shoryuken his way into the series yet again. Feel free to discuss anything pertaining to the character in this thread.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I want Ryu back if for nothing else than that the Street Fighter remixes in Smash 4 are amazing!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think he's a valuable addition, but being so unique and having the 'true input' quirks were a bit weird and not fitting of the game. I'd love for him to not lose all of his quirks but I think he needs to be more Smash-y when (hopefully) he comes back.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think he's a valuable addition, but being so unique and having the 'true input' quirks were a bit weird and not fitting of the game. I'd love for him to not lose all of his quirks but I think he needs to be more Smash-y when (hopefully) he comes back.
Honestly, if he returns, I want the true input quirk gone. I play fighting games all the time. I can easily quarter circle forward or DP. on a whim, stick or pad. Yet, with the GameCube controller, and the pro back when I tried it, the inputs are too messy. I just want to KO with up-special without running up to someone and praying the input works.

D

Deleted member

Look...listen....I love fighting games, and I love Capcom (or at least the legacy of their IPs), and with the current state of the Vs. series, I hope we can at least get both Capcom reps back in Smash to fill the "crossover fighting game with Capcom characters" hole in my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
If he does come back, what ideas do people have for replacing his Down B? FADC was outdated by his inclusion already, what could replace it? I'm trying to think of something that would transcend the individual titles so not a mechanic unique to 5 either.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I think if they replaced his Focus Attack with anything, it should be just a parry from SF3.

Mind you, in Smash that would basically change the move to just being a counter not unlike the FE swordsmen, but Ryu's parry wouldn't make you automatically attack if you successfully counter. You'd basically be able to make one attack for free. Mechanically, I'm not sure if you'd still take damage from the attack or not though..

Honestly, I think all Ryu needs for the next game is an EX meter. Pretty much every game that includes a guest Street Fighter character gives them their Street Fighter meter bar.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think if they replaced his Focus Attack with anything, it should be just a parry from SF3.

Mind you, in Smash that would basically change the move to just being a counter not unlike the FE swordsmen, but Ryu's parry wouldn't make you automatically attack if you successfully counter. You'd basically be able to make one attack for free. Mechanically, I'm not sure if you'd still take damage from the attack or not though..

Honestly, I think all Ryu needs for the next game is an EX meter. Pretty much every game that includes a guest Street Fighter character gives them their Street Fighter meter bar.
I never really thought about that, if they added a meter mechanic, they might nerf his specials down a bit and buff the enhanced versions.

At the very least, add in Guile's theme and the SF2 title theme.
I was extremely surprised when Guile's theme was not included last time.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I never really thought about that, if they added a meter mechanic, they might nerf his specials down a bit and buff the enhanced versions.

I was extremely surprised when Guile's theme was not included last time.
Everyone wants Guile's theme, and I guess I do, but what I really want is Chun-Li's theme.

Also, Ryu's theme from Third Strike and Ken's theme from Alpha 2. Please.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
All I ask for with Ryu is that he keeps his Smash 4 voice and brings remixed Guile/Chun Li themes with him

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With the 30th Anniversary Collection coming out later this week, I'm looking forward to playing it. While I've played Street Fighter 4 and 5, I'm inexperienced with the games in the collection - the only one that I played was Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers on the SNES.

Not sure if I'll start with the original Street Fighter 2 and work my way forward, or go with Alpha 3 or 3rd Strike since I'm completely unfamiliar with them. Then again, maybe I should start with Alpha 1 and the original SF3 and work my way up to it.

...I really hope that there aren't any unlockables that require you to beat Street Fighter 1. I'm watching an exhibition match promoting the collection, and even pro players can't pull off Hadoken, Shoryuken, or Tatsumaki Senpukyaku in that game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
All I ask for with Ryu is that he keeps his Smash 4 voice and brings remixed Guile/Chun Li themes with him
I don't see why they'd cast anyone but Kyle Hebert given how long he's been doing it, so I imagine he'd just come back for Smash 5.

And if he's an actual Veteran and not a DLC character, I'm almost certain he'll get the actual music treatment this time instead of getting two remixes of two songs.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't see why they'd cast anyone but Kyle Hebert given how long he's been doing it, so I imagine he'd just come back for Smash 5.

And if he's an actual Veteran and not a DLC character, I'm almost certain he'll get the actual music treatment this time instead of getting two remixes of two songs.
I don’t think he’d be replaced, I just don’t want Ryu to have his voice clips redone (the deep but still calm voiced Ryu was so awesome to hear, especially the way he says “Talk is Cheap” and “The Journey...Has Just Begun”)

More than the same two songs would be a start

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Guys, if Ryu comes back and he's still the only SF rep, which of his stages from the SF series would you like to see in Smash?

SF3 Third Strike

Street Fighter Alpha

Alpha 3

Alpha 2

SF3 New Generation/2nd Impact

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just so you all know...

For those who watch Death Battle by Screwattack, the next fight is revealed. Ryu is back, and he is fighting Jin from Tekken.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m glad Ryu got to keep his Smash 4 voice clips (those are probably the best for Ryu)

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiQxyjpSAkk - A remix of Vega's Stage; I feel like we'll also get his CPS1 and CPS2 tracks just like Ryu and Ken (adding up to 9 tracks if that's the case)
This also opens up the idea that 3rd-party stages could get more songs, so here's hoping for more SF (and FF for me) music

Super Turbo lookin Shakunetsu:

Attachments

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Can we talk about music here? I wish for Sagat´s theme and for some reason I want Balrog´s but always felt it fits better in New Pork City.

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
The fact that Vega's theme is getting arranged definitely means we'll get at least something
I feel like it'll just be SF2 stuff (in which I really want Akuma's theme) but I'd kill for Volcanic Rim or Adon's SF4 theme

MattX20

Smash Hero
Who wants to bet that we might get Ken as an echo fighter for Ryu?

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Mained him in Smash4, will Main him again. Especially with all the new gameplay changes and his fixed stance in 1v1s.

So hyped for this character!

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
New Jab animation

EDIT: This is actually a variant of Light F-Tilt based on proximity - if you're close enough to the opponent, you get this punch, while the regular kick happens if you're anywhere else

Attachments

Last edited:

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You

Attachments

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
my friend seems to think that light up-tilt in shoryu won't be a true combo in smash ultimate. can one of you please provide me with a gif/video or it so i can prove he's crazy, thank you!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Honestly, it would not even matter.

He has so many confirms now.

ottobot

Smash Cadet
Has anyone taken a look at this video yet? has very high quality footage, could maybe be used to get frame data. I don't think i've seen this much Ryu gameplay in this level of quality before this.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Has anyone taken a look at this video yet? has very high quality footage, could maybe be used to get frame data. I don't think i've seen this much Ryu gameplay in this level of quality before this.
that instant turn around d tilt spam for ledge coverage from ryu looked cheap as hell rofffll

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
anyone else think there was a missed opportunity to include SFV Bearded Ryu costume in Ultimate?

could've done it like Cloud's FFVII/AC format: 4 classic Ryu, 4 SFV Ryu

Top Bottom