• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is how to move good and do other things good too.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
Now, once you have committed to an empty pivot, you have a few limitations on your options! Mainly, you can not turn around, crouch, or start another dash for 11 frames
Does this 11 frame limitation apply only to empty pivots? or regular pivots as well

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I don't quite understand what you mean by "regular pivot", but when you're in Turn you can't do turn in the other direction, crouch or neutral b, and Turn is 11 frames long. This applies to both tilt turn and smash turn done out of any state.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
I don't quite understand what you mean by "regular pivot", but when you're in Turn you can't do turn in the other direction, crouch or neutral b, and Turn is 11 frames long. This applies to both tilt turn and smash turn done out of any state.
I think for some reason I thought an empty pivot would be different from something like the type of pivot you do when it's a pivot fsmash or something. So you answered my question anyway, with both having that 11 frame of "Turn". Thanks

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
Jumps are analog. That statement singlehandedly encompasses an incomprehensible amount of control that can be had. This is the true "20XX" of falcon. It is a tech skill that is hard to see, but the effects are easy to feel. No one will freak out when you master this, because it doesn't involve pressing buttons as fast as possible. Despite that, the amount of control you gain from this will make you win, and keep winning.

The mechanics of an analog jump apply to both the neutral jump and the dash jump, with minor differences. There are two major aspects to be considered in an analog jump. They are INITIAL VELOCITY (IV) and aerial mobility.

Let me focus first on the IV. IV is determined solely by the second to last frame of a characters velocity. Imagine the control stick as representing a scale from 0-10, including all non integers. The exact center of the stick is 0, and the furthest right is 10. Absolutely any number that you hold on this scale during the second to last frame of jumpsquat will exactly determine your IV. There is no deadzone for this mechanic. Of course, you can also hold backwards varying amounts, but thinking of 0-10 helps for simplification.

I want to stress that the last paragraph is quite likely the most important of all. I suggest re-reading it and trying to understand it fully.

Since this concept alone encompassed a ridiculous amount of options, I'll show my point by only showing 4 options. These are dash jumps with 4 different IVs (-10, 0, 5, 10) Sleepyk*

Anyways, aerial mobility works by either adding to or counteracting your IV. Thus, your IV and aerial mobility are meant to work together in harmony to achieve your goal. Using them together in a masterful way, falcon can jump into many different ranges with many different angles. As far as I can tell, all airborne frames contain the same potential for aerial mobility. Thus, there is one critical frame before being airborne that determines IV, and the rest of the frames before you land are simply used to add to or work against that IV.

The major difference between neutral jump and dash jump is that if you dash jump with maximum IV, aerial mobility in the direction you jumped does nothing. You are already traveling at max velocity, so you simply can not hold forward and travel further. Falcon will not slow down if your control stick is resting at 0 while airborne. Acting against your velocity will have a drastic effect, of course. Furthermore, if your IV was equal to a random number below 10, such as 5, you would indeed be able to hold forward after your jump. Falcon will approach max velocity once more, but never surpass it.

In a neutral jump, falcon will lose velocity of his own accord. If your IV is 10 and you hold 0 while airborne, your jump goes about half distance. You must continue to hold 10 the whole time while airborne if you wish to reach the maximum distance. Overall, neutral jump gives you significantly more control over your velocity than dash jump. This is why I think it's usually better to use as an attack when you're already within that range.
Something isn't making sense to me... So you say the only 2 factors in jump distance are IV and aerial mobility. IV is determined solely by where your control stick is at 2nd to last frame of jumpsquat.

However... If I do a dash jump with my control stick held fully in 1 direction (i'll use right in my example), I go a certain distance. When I try to do a neutral jump by standing, then hitting jump and immediately the frame after I hold all the way right, I go around half that distance I did when I did a dash jump. In both scenarios I'm holding right the entire time I start it so I get the full aerial mobility (which doesn't actually affect the dash jump case, but i did it anyway).

In both cases, IV was 10 (held all the way to the right the 2nd to last frame of jumpsquat), and aerial mobility was also 10, why did I only go half the distance I did with standing neutral jump? I tested this with both fox and falcon

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
R reverie2 you keep the speed you had before the jump, except traction decreases it a bit during jump squat. The control stick position adds a vector to your previous speed, it doesn't replace it. I had this somewhat covered in my first response to the op.

Top Bottom