• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "This is a good result!" - Shulk Discussion & Social Thread

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Based on the most recent Smash Direct, no. The music menu as they've shown lists eleven songs, which is three more than there were in Smash 4. However, we already know what the three new songs are, and they're all directly ported from 2.
Wow that's disappointing, not only there's no new Xenoblade 1 music, but there's nothing from X and the only music from 2 is DLC.
Welp, there goes my dream of ever hearing a fast paced remix of the Xenoblade 1 Main Theme.

D

Deleted member

Wow that's disappointing, not only there's no new Xenoblade 1 music, but there's nothing from X and the only music from 2 is DLC.
Welp, there goes my dream of ever hearing a fast paced remix of the Xenoblade 1 Main Theme.
It's a shame that there seems to be no remixes for the series and I think that the music selection will be the same as it was in Smash 4...
So not only will songs like Key We've Lost, Uncontrollable, and anything else from X will not be in Ultimate, but we might not even get songs like Unfinished Battle from the original.
It could be worse though... and by worse I mean it could be as bad as Final Fantasy and its two tracks with no remixes (excluding the victory theme).

Last edited by a moderator:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Um, guys. Let's not forget there's 5 DLC Characters that each coming with a stage & several tracks, one of who could very well be Elma, who have raised chances due to the complete absence of Xenoblade X Music or just Xenoblade X stuff in general (minus a Skell Spirit) within what we been shown of the base game thus far. So whist it unlikely their going to be any non-Xenoblade X tracks if Elma does happen, atleast their still that possibility of getting Xenoblade X Music ;).

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
It could be worse though... and by worse I mean it could be as bad as Final Fantasy and its two tracks with no remixes (excluding the victory theme).
I guess you are right, but in the case of Xenoblade, it is as jarring because the whole series has such amazing music, with the emphasis of making more "battle themed" remixes i thought several tracks could have the potential to be re-arranged.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess you are right, but in the case of Xenoblade, it is as jarring because the whole series has such amazing music, with the emphasis of making more "battle themed" remixes i thought several tracks could have the potential to be re-arranged.
I agree. I would have loved to have full remixes of Guar Plains and Engage the Enemy over what we got in the Medley. I would even love a remix to You Will Know Our Names and Mechanical Rhythm or any remix to songs from X or 2 (preferably Key We've Lost and Still, Move Forward! respectively). I'm probably the odd person who wouldn't mind Satorl Marsh (Night) as a song in Smash...
There's a lot of great tracks that I wish made the cut.

Justun

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeldaHistory
Anyone else going to be rocking Shulk as a main? Or at least plan to? Would love to hear back, research into some combos and such.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
On one hand, I really like playing shulk and that would help me a lot in Ultimate. On the other hand, I’ve been playing the kid for four years and a new game is the perfect opportunity to give someone else a try. :lol:

He’ll always be in consideration though. With his buffs I only imagine he’ll be more fun then ever. If I find anything that isn’t already posted I’ll be poking around here for sure!

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Less than a week to go. The wait hasn't been so bad but I'm stoked we're getting to rep the monado boy once again. Things are shaping up to be a blast for us and I'm eager to see old faces.

Let's GO.

Kloptech

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kloptech91
Switch FC
SW-8070-4887-5023
Shulk plays like a dream in this game. He seems to have really benefited from the new airdodge mechanics. I've gotten more up-air KOs in 2 hours than I have in the entire 4 years of Smash 4.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It's great having Buster d-throw leave the enemy closer than before. Following up with big damage or art deactivation to confirm a kill after is a convinient change.

Vanilla Shulk is downright dreamy now. Still getting the hang of the general mechanics but playing him is definitely a bigger thrill than I had hoped for.

4ntarianSP4CE

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6188-3854-4790
I might've just missed it while looking through the pages of this thread, but does anyone have a link to the Shulk SSBU Discord?

-4nt

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Finally got around to sitting down and doing some labbing. I'm abundantly surprised at some of the things that work now, as well as gimmicky things that still work.

I'm trying to figure out leading Buster attacks directly into Smash attacks, which I've only been able to do on accident since the timing feels really tight. Once someone gets it down though things are bound to get silly.

Buster still leads truly into vanilla attacks with a buffered deactivation like before. Meaning kill setups. Only there's less landing lag so there are more possibilities than before.

Falling U-air is better now, in Buster it combos into quite a bit (including U-smash, which I had been praying for), and in every other art the first hit still has set knockback that combos too.

Just food for thought. I haven't seen Shulk discussed much lately although I haven't looked very far.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This doesn't really relate to Shulk's improved frame data and the like, but I feel like it's still the best place to bring this up, so. . . is anyone else kinda disappointed with Shulk's Classic Mode route? Aside from the match against Mega Man, it's pretty self-referential for Smash, and doesn't really have much to do with Xenoblade itself. In comparison to something like Ness' Classic Mode route, it's honestly kinda bad.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to figure out leading Buster attacks directly into Smash attacks, which I've only been able to do on accident since the timing feels really tight. Once someone gets it down though things are bound to get silly.
Have you seen these yet?
http://twitter.com/JacobStaudt/status/1073775255913676800
http://twitter.com/inumaro12345/status/1075082338252447745

Shulk's crazy now with this tech called Dial Storage. It's basically an easier MALLC where you can decide to go into any art you like or no art at all, and your landing lag is reduced.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
Aaaand as promised, I love you forever and ever!!!!!! From the hour I've practiced it I managed to succeed a few times, the parts i screw up on are; not letting go of special when I aerial and holding up (for smash art) before the dials back and just air slashing. Once it becomes muscle memory it'll be a lot easier and i'll be able to start implementing it in games. I'm sold, this'll be awesome when people start getting it down.

Thanks for showing this!!!

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Just wondering if there is one? I've been playing shulk for a little while and while I could teach myself, I don't feel that would be right because Shulk is such a high mastery kind of character.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Is the Shulk discord still going ?

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I never really cared for Shulk in Sm4sh but i'm loving how he plays in Ultimate.
He slowly but surely became one of my favorite characters.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135

Although I'm still getting the hang of him (compared to how I played him in 4), Shulk is a blast to play. Been getting a little better with him, at least enough to sample some clips in one of my team combo videos with my friend playing Rool. Anyway, thought you guys would dig the video.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice

Although I'm still getting the hang of him (compared to how I played him in 4), Shulk is a blast to play. Been getting a little better with him, at least enough to sample some clips in one of my team combo videos with my friend playing Rool. Anyway, thought you guys would dig the video.
I'm glad you're enjoying him, we need more Shulks lol. I feel like i was one of the 5 people who mained him in SSB4

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Until Sakurai states otherwise, I'm going to assume that there will be no future fighter passes. That said, if I don't like the remaining unanounced DLC fighters, I'm thinking about picking up Shulk as a third main. Looking back, the biggest reason why I didn't main him in Smash 4 was because it was a pain switching between his arts--but Smash Ultimate has made that much easier. Despite lacking projectiles, his attacks have a very long reach--which I like.

AigisRen

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8311-2361-6150
New Shulk wave dash and L cancel looking kinda schnice

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Hey y'all. Just wanted to pop in and mention that I ,like many others, have started playing Xenoblade Chronicles on the Switch, and I've personally been loving it! Not sure if Shulk really fits my playstyle (that said he is known for being one of the most complicated characters to really know how to play.), but I'm probably going to play him a little more often now that I know how awesome his character is. And can I just say, I LOVE how he's a character. So many JRPGs barely give their protags a personality, so that they can by an expy of the player, but know, you don't project onto Shulk, you're viewing Shulk's story and I love that. I really hope more games do that.

On the note of character, I came to realize today that Shulk's Sm4sh trailer really didn't do him justice, but I think that can be said of most all of the Sm4sh trailers. I think you guys got it rough in Sm4sh with a lot of people knocking Shulk for being another human (Homs) swordie and being a literally who to most people. But really, in Sm4sh, most of the trailers just presented you with a character under the assumption you already know who they are, instead of trying to sell you on why they're awesome. In contrast, Ultimate has some great character trailers. Watch the Simon or Ridley trailer and, even without nostalgia or familiarity to those characters, you know exactly what they're about before the gameplay even starts. Contrast with, say, Smash 4's Megaman trailer, where Megaman IS the hype, putting on the iconic blue helmet. Still, if you don't know who Megaman is, his reveal trailer tells you... nothing. I think Shulk could have really used an Ultimate style trailer when he was revealed. Imagine a trailer of Shulk studying the Monado in Colony 9, when it falls under attack by Bowser, Wario, Ganondorf, Dark Pit, etc., just like the mechonis, and he picks it up to fight off the villain rogues gallery.

The other thing I remember from the Smash 4 Shulk reveal days was a few Xenoblade fans talking aobut who could have been cooler in Smash besides Shulk, and I'll admit, Shulk's motley crew are awesome as well. As much as I'd love to see it, I won't hold my breath that Sharla or Melia will join Smash in the future, but I do wonder if a Dunban echo down the line would be too much to ask.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I modded RichaadEB's cover of Mechanical Rhythm to smash:

Top Bottom