• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "This is a good result!" - Shulk Discussion & Social Thread

D

Deleted member

Shulk

First Appearance: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii - 2010)
Smash Debut: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U

Remind me, who is Shulk?

Shulk is the main protagonist of the original Xenoblade game, which garnered critical praise and spawned two follow-ups, Xenoblade Chonicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Shulk's popularity received a boost when he joined the roster in Smash 4, and his unique stance-based moveset made him a fan-favorite amongst Smash players.

In Ultimate, Shulk's stance system has been streamlined, as seen in the video below. Gone are the days of being required to tap B to choose your Monado Art; now you can quickly choose one by holding B and highlighting it with the Control Stick.

Music

Xenoblade Chronicles

Main Theme
Gaur Plain (Day)
Gaur Plain (Night)
Time to Fight!
You Will Know Our Names
Mechanical Rhythm
One Who Gets in Our Way
Engage the Enemy
Unfinished Battle
Xenoblade Chronicles Medley

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Battle!!
You Will Recall Our Names
Still, Move Forward!

Other Games

The Valedictory Elegy (Baten Kaitos Origins)

Supporters Before the Confirmation

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Please come back and preferably with better frame data and the Monado arts having the correct names.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Is... is Shulk at risk of not coming back? I kind of assumed he'd just be back but now I'm kind of nervous they might replace him with someone from XB2 (which I haven't played yet :'c) or something. Please bring back Shulk, he started this whole Xenoblade stuff.

D

Deleted member

Is... is Shulk at risk of not coming back? I kind of assumed he'd just be back but now I'm kind of nervous they might replace him with someone from XB2 (which I haven't played yet :'c) or something. Please bring back Shulk, he started this whole Xenoblade stuff.
I'm personally confident in Shulk returning, but since he's not confirmed yet, I made this thread mostly for fun.

If Shulk gets cut i'll be pissed. First main before speed and jump art became the bread and butter for shulk and I couldnt figure it out. Still love that N-air. . .

I dont even care if he's **** again I need him back. . .but I wouldnt mind buffs. . .and proper move names.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not really expecting cuts. (outside of Cloud maybe) I mean if the new game is based on the engine of the previous game for Wii U then I don't see why they would have to make cuts due to time constraints. (and what other reason would they have to make cuts? I'm not convinced Sakurai would cut a character just to "make room" since he's already stated he doesn't like cutting characters....so he probably wouldn't cut a character unless he really had no other choice. (i.e. due to time constraints or not being technically feasible)

At worst I could see characters being relegated to being dlc instead of outright being cut.

Supporting Shulk to make a return anyway though!

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure he will return. Xenoblade Chronicles has become an important franchise for Nintendo, there's no reason to let him behind

Not only I think Shulk will return, but he'll probably be back with another Xenoblade character. This franchise deserve 2 spots in the roster.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Pretty sure he will return. Xenoblade Chronicles has become an important franchise for Nintendo, there's no reason to let him behind

No only I think Shulk will return, but he'll probably be back with another Xenoblade character. This franchise deserve 2 spots in the roster.
Especially since Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the first game in the series to break 1 million sales. The series has never been in as good a position as it is now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Especially since Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the first game in the series to break 1 million sales. The series has never been in as good a position as it is now.
May be a bit ambitious of me, but I'm hoping both X and 2 get represented; ergo, we get both Rex AND Elma while Shulk stays, of course. Each entry is represented fairly.

Anyway, I definitely don't see Shulk getting the axe.

and yes before anyone mentions my signature I KNOW Fiora is less likely than those two I mentioned; heck Xenoblade getting 3 reps alone would be a miracle itself, but it's my personal pipe dream if we got all four. but, i digress.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
May be a bit ambitious of me, but I'm hoping both X and 2 get represented; ergo, we get both Rex AND Elma while Shulk stays, of course. Each entry is represented fairly.

Anyway, I definitely don't see Shulk getting the axe.

and yes before anyone mentions my signature I KNOW Fiora is less likely than those two I mentioned; heck Xenoblade getting 3 reps alone would be a miracle itself, but it's my personal pipe dream if we got all four. but, i digress.
Xenoblade Chronicles X feels like its in a very awkward position. A newcomer coming from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems a lot more likely....and if that happens Xenoblade 2 would probably get a stage as well. (even though I would love to see a Neo Los Angeles stage)

I feel like X could end up just getting music + trophies + an assist trophy. (and I could see Elma being that assist trophy)

X could get a stage (meaning we'd have three Xenoblade stages) but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, considering the series symbol is straight up a Monado instead of like, an X or something, Shulk feels firmly in the position of "XenoMarth", and it's not like Rex or anyone else in the series could replace him mechanically, so unless they just want 0 Xenoblade in Smash at all, I don't see him going anywhere.

We could easily get Rex+Pyra as a second character, but if we only have one, I'd rather Shulk stay than anything else. The other options are OK but not Monado Boy.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Please come back and preferably with better frame data and the Monado arts having the correct names.

The names of his monado arts were fine in smash 4? Unless I’m missing something.

Well, considering the series symbol is straight up a Monado instead of like, an X or something, Shulk feels firmly in the position of "XenoMarth", and it's not like Rex or anyone else in the series could replace him mechanically, so unless they just want 0 Xenoblade in Smash at all, I don't see him going anywhere.
This is a good point yeah. I could see Rex or Pyra as a second character (though I really don’t give a toss about either of them), but not without Shulk staying. Shulk is pretty popular and loved by the smash community anyway

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The names of his monado arts were fine in smash 4? Unless I’m missing something.

This is a good point yeah. I could see Rex or Pyra as a second character (though I really don’t give a toss about either of them), but not without Shulk staying. Shulk is pretty popular and loved by the smash community anyway
"Monado Buster" is actually Monado Enchant.
Buster is what he should do at the end of the chain attack.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
"Monado Buster" is actually Monado Enchant.
Buster is what he should do at the end of the chain attack.

Oh yeah, Enchant was the purple one. Still, it makes sense the way they decided to adapt it—buster was already a bluish purple in Xenoblade and the name in this context makes much more sense than calling it enchant, as it’s all about dealing damage.

Gotta be flexible.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think so. Serves the same purpose to the Xenoblade series as Marth does to FE. Popular. Don't see why they'd cut him

D

Deleted member

Let's see...
  • A popular and well-received veteran with a unique moveset.
  • Recency/relevance (at least typically) has little to no effect on veterans (see: :4falcon::4ness::4myfriends: etc.).
  • Even if it didn't, Shulk remains an important character to the Xenoblade franchise.
  • Hypothetically, Elma or Rex wouldn't be a suitable replacement since their movesets would be very different. They aren't clone or semi-clone material like, say, Lucas was to Ness, and those two ended up co-existing anyway despite Sakurai initially wanting the former to replace the latter.
TL;DR: Unless he's somehow low priority, I think he's staying.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m going to merge your thread with @Xeno VII Shulk thread. I’ll be working in the Support Directory for this section to try and get it up to date. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't see Shulk getting cut.
The Xenoblade series is getting more exposure (with 2 being pretty successful) and Shulk himself is quite popular in Smash. If he gets cut, I would be immensely shocked and disappointed. I thought Rex was a good protagonist, but he is no Shulk. The most likely scenario I see is Shulk getting in alongside Rex.

If I had to change him, I would try to make him less complicated to play... maybe cut down from 5 Monado Arts to 3 of them. I would also not have Shulk do any sort of poses in midair when he activates a Monado Art; that caused me a lot of unnecessary deaths.

D

Deleted member

Shulk won't get cut. Xenoblade has grown a lot as a franchise, so it's hard to see the face of the franchise just get replaced by the new kid on the block, Rex. I view it kind of like Marth's relationship with Fire Emblem. As for balance changes, I'd love for Shulk to have better frame data (obviously), but I'd like to see more substantial changes to his Monado Arts since it's a new game. Like in my signature, I'd be a fan of renaming and recoloring them to Cyclone/Speed/Shield/Enchant/Buster (I get that Cyclone isn't perfect, but hey, what are you gonna do. At least he kind of floats during the attack and the word cyclone is associated with wind anyway).

However, my pipe dream involves having every Monado Art gaining a little added bonus besides the stat changes. Jump/Cyclone already increases Air Slash's recovery distance, but it'd also be cool if it also gained the whitish-gold color effect from Monado Cyclone, assuming it gets renamed. Speed could increase the distance Shulk's roll travels, which is kind of how it works in the cutscenes and battle system anyway. Shield already increases Shulk's shield's health, although I think it could change the shield itself to look like Monado Shield's yellow barrier and give Shulk immunity to shield pokes a la Yoshi's egg. It'd have to slowly turn red as it gets damaged though. All I could really think of for Buster/Enchant was increasing the duration of the Monado Art compared to the others by a few seconds, but I think it works, even if it's not as flashy as the others. As for Smash/Buster, it would be really cool if it increased the length of the Monado's beam for smash attacks, emulating the Monado Art's animation. The beam color/aura could also change to look more like it does in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I doubt Shulk will be cut, but at the same time I feel like Shulk needs a bit of a revision to his moveset.

The problem is not the concept itself, in fact there being a proper "stance" character in the series is pretty significant. The issue is that Shulk's moves are kind of inefficient. Specifically the moves are a tad too laggy and they rely a little too much on specific hitboxes, like the differences between the Monado itself and the laser blade. Granted it was obviously done as a form of balance, since any character with a much faster consistent moveset exploiting the Monado Arts would be broken. But at the same time I feel like it could be polished out better with the next game.

Back Slash is the move I would probably change up the move honestly. The concept is unique, but it's difficult to actually take advantage of hitting behind opponents. Maybe make the move stronger when hitting opponents in the back to make the situational property more rewarding?

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I Want to see him return; Not Only because he's a Popular Character now; But Also It'd be extra-cool to see him fighting against Rex & Pyra;
especially since He indirectly killed off their Benevolent Creator(The Good half of Klaus) by Killing The Evil Zanza

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

especially since He indirectly killed off their Benevolent Creator(The Good half of Klaus) by Killing The Evil Zanza
You might want to put that under a spoiler tag, since not everyone has beaten Xenoblade 1 or especially the recent 2.

D

Deleted member

Yesterday marked the sixth anniversary of Xenoblade 1's North American release on the Wii. I still remember the campaigning from Operation Rainfall to convince Nintendo of America to bring the game over (along with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower), me bursting in excitement over the announcement trailer, and the last time I willingly bought anything from GameStop due to it being a store exclusive. It ended up being one of my favorite games on the Wii, and I'm grateful to see the series continue as well as gain more fans. Shulk was also one of my most wanted and hyped newcomers for Smash 4.

Here's some fan art I found on Twitter.

---

Edited the OP, by the way. Sorted the music into different sections titled "Xenoblade Chronicles" and "Other Games" (X and 2 would get their own sections if I ever decide to add any music from those games), and added a few tracks from Xenoblade 1 that didn't make it into Smash 4. I you'd like, feel free to request any Xenoblade music, or even songs from other Nintendo games that you think would fit into Gaur Plain or a hypothetical new Xenoblade stage.

D

Deleted member

So many double hundreds lol.

Mayb not IC-tier but that's one hell of a score at the moment
:061:
Several have called it a "waste of a day" and one even suggested that he shouldn't even be eligible for a rating. But he's not on the "do not rate" list, so...

PF9

Smash Lord
I'd like to see Xenoblade Chronicles be made into a movie. The visuals of the game look awesome and are suited well to a big-budget movie adaptation. Perhaps they can use Blue Swede's "Hooked on a Feeling" to advertise the movie (it worked for Guardians of the Galaxy).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As it is, I really really hate Smash's incarnation of Shulk and I really hope he changes in the future.
I hate his awful frame data, his hitboxes which everyone falls out of, his buff/debuff mechanic which hurts him more than it helps and is tied to mashing the special button multiple times, how he never has his weapon out... just ugh.

If it were up to me, I'd rework Shulk massively and actually incorporate the monado arts into his moveset more and generally wielding the monado more like he does in his own games.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Add me as supporter!

And i think Shulk will be back, cutting him would be just dumb, he's the protagonist of the first Xenoblade game, where it all started, it would be like removing Marth for Ike in Brawl, imo Shulk is the poster boy of Xenoblade like Cloud is for FF.
Also he's just a unique character not only moveset wise, but iconic in design too, the Monado, the ability to see the future, his phrases, his trunks, you don't see a lot of rpg protagonists rocking trunks like he does...

Top Bottom