• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social This Girl Ain’t No Zero -Zero Suit Samus Central

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Zero Suit Samus

Whether you like her in blue, green, gray, pink, or even in a bikini top and shorts, Zero Suit Samus is one of the best! She is armed with her Paralyzer, Jet Boots, Gun Ship, and a mean ponytail! No longer tied to Samus’ Final Smash, it’s time for this A-tier character to truly shine!

This thread is for all ZSS discussion concerning her obvious return to the Smash roster. What changes should be made? Does she need any nerfs? Replace any moves? How about palette swaps and alternate costumes? Or do you just wanna crush on the blonde bounty hunter? Well, this is the place for you!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Can’t believe this one hasn’t been made yet. Reserved

If Ninten does become an echo character I still hope he has PK Beam instead of PK Fire and the Eight Melodies instead of PK Starstorm, especially since Mother 1 didn't even have Starstorm as a move.
The three echo fighters so far have the same movesets, though. So far it doesn't seem like Daisy is any different from Peach, but maybe they will change her a bit until the release. There still is Lucina who is Marth without the tipper and Dark Pit who is Pit with a different arrow. Point is, maybe we shouldn't expect completely different moves for echo fighters, at least not until and if an echo fighter with different moves shows up.

-

As for my opinion on echo fighters. They do more good than harm. In fact, they do no harm at all. Much rather have certain characters as echo fighters than not have them at all because there is no time to develop and balance so many new characters for a game with already 65 characters in the roster. It is a win-only scenario.

All Sakurai is doing is embracing Clone characters instead of running with them. He'd rather have as many characters as he can fit in there instead of unique play-styles.
Wrong. What he is doing is giving people characters they want instead of giving them nothing at all. You and a lot of people here underestimate the time, money and effort that goes into making brand new unique characters and balancing a game. If Daisy wasn't added to the roster, there would not be a character with unique moves being added instead. There would be nothing instead.

Echo Fighters are just like Mega Evolutions and Regional Forms in Pokémon, in the sense that the features are/were being used to remedy the extremely high number of characters in the game, and how that affects balancing, and just playing the game. Yeah, Pokémon has 800+ species, but that is an entirely different kind of game. The point remains. The difference is they seem to be doing it right in Smash.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Zero suit is fine, can't really think of any new moves to add to her. Normal Samus needs an update, but the smash 4 rework of brawl zero suit Samus is fine

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
They need to re-work her down-tilt; it's just awful to use and way too laggy. Her grab game needs to be reverted back and for the love of god, please allow her UP-B to not have invincibility for half of the animations @_@.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm fine with her moves, it's her model that needs work. It's okay when she's in the Zero Suit, but if you choose her alternate outfits where she shows a bit more skin, she looks painfully thin.

Maybe it's just the weird way she tends to twist. Either way, I don't think it would hurt giving her a bit more bulk.

I thought one of the best aspects of the Zero Suit WAS the alternate costumes as well. I'd love to see her come back as a general "good ending" Samus.

The lack of a Justin Bailey Samus is almost criminal.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm fine with her moves, it's her model that needs work. It's okay when she's in the Zero Suit, but if you choose her alternate outfits where she shows a bit more skin, she looks painfully thin.

-snip-

Maybe it's just the weird way she tends to twist. Either way, I don't think it would hurt giving her a bit more bulk.
It's a problem with a lot of the models in fighting games, in motion they look good but once you pause/zoom in on the details they look almost comic-book-proportions level of painful. Not the only thing that's problematic obviously (all the females are guilty of it given they're emulating their own games/original depictions, but I digress), but I've seen a lot that prefer the Brawl and PM rendtions of ZSS say mostly the same things.

One of the things I liked most about Samus Returns was that the concept art gave her much broader shoulders/well defined abs/overall more muscular/etc.

In game, a little less so but "3DS is ancient tech at this point"

Obviously nothing is ever perfect (the pumps/heels everyone loves to complain about, of course), but at the very least I'd like it over them just reusing the same assets (*shot*).

I thought one of the best aspects of the Zero Suit WAS the alternate costumes as well. I'd love to see her come back as a general "good ending" Samus.

The other good thing from Samus Returns is that this gem is finally back/rendered in glorious 3D. It'd be a shame to not see it now more than ever.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yep, her separation from Samus was a huge improvement in Smash 4. Sure hope transformations don't return because I didn't like how Smash Balls gave her a lose-lose in Brawl.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
What if she's an unlockable character this time, and you have to unlock her by beating Classic mode as Samus really fast?
Really fast? As in there's a time limit to beat Classic mode to get Zero Suit Samus with a specific character? No thanks. I would want one trophy per character so I don't want a bonus from a character that I could miss for not being fast enough. If she's just unlocked by beating Classic as Samus no matter how well you perform, then sure I'd be fine with that.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That's literally how you unlocked Captain Falcon in the original game, and the time limit (30 minutes) wasn't even that demanding if you knew what you were doing.

<s>Also having to do it under a time limit would be a neat reference to how you got to see Samus out of her suit in the games</s>

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, since getting multiple of the same trophy shouldn't be a big deal as they just get a x2 in the gallery, maybe it's okay. But maybe ZSS should be a starter and we unlock Ridley instead from beating Classic under 30 seconds using either Samus or ZSS.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I adore the SR design too, hope they base Smash for Switch's ZSS on it. As for alternates, I'd like to see the "civilian clothes" from the ending of Other M, always thought those looked neat.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh yeah, what do you think they'll do with the heels? Do you think they'll redesign them to fit more with the design, or replace them altogether?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, what do you think they'll do with the heels? Do you think they'll redesign them to fit more with the design, or replace them altogether?
Redesign would be more likely. Removing the jet heels could get awkward for Smash 4 players who main her.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I thought the the idea of jet boots in General was a pretty cool idea for zss. I don't care if they end up being heels again as long as they don't scrap the concept of it altogether. It looks really cool aesthetically with the flame after effects from her kicks.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
A story mode should pair Samus and Pikachu again, with Samus in her Zero Suit to start at first like in SSE.

The point where ZSS meets PIkachu ideally would involve her gunship landing in front of Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja (and their trainer Ash Ketchum, who would act as a background element for those three characters in Smash Switch). Pikachu is excited to see Samus again and runs into her arms, just before the next stage starts.

ZSS has to get her Power Suit back again from somewhere in order to play as Power Suit Samus in the story mode.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
A story mode should pair Samus and Pikachu again, with Samus in her Zero Suit to start at first like in SSE.

The point where ZSS meets PIkachu ideally would involve her gunship landing in front of Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja (and their trainer Ash Ketchum, who would act as a background element for those three characters in Smash Switch). Pikachu is excited to see Samus again and runs into her arms, just before the next stage starts.

ZSS has to get her Power Suit back again from somewhere in order to play as Power Suit Samus in the story mode.
I had this idea of Samus helping Team Star Fox in their space battle against Star Wolf. And then, Rayquaza shows up scaring Fox McCloud with flashbacks of The Lake. Then Samus fires a Poké Ball out of her arm cannon and out came the Pikachu she befriended in Brawl. Samus, Pikachu, Fox, Falco, Krystal (who is in my newcomer wishlist), Wolf (who is forced to make a truce because Rayquaza was attacking Star Wolf too) all prepare for an epic boss fight. All the other supporting Star Fox characters would fly around in their Arwings and Wolfen's and randomly fire at Rayquaza, though Star Wolf would tend to aim at the player.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Kinda want a ZSS/Falcon team up in a story mode just for the fact they're both bounty hunters.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If Ridley is playable, Samus and Ridley must team-up in a Story Mode if it happens.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216

She's even thinner now. It's pretty awkward looking at Zero Suit in Ultimate. There are better images out there I'm sure but I guess I'll start calling her Zero Thicc Samus.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I really like the new design. Less exaggerated Femm-parts and a more muscular and defined body suits her much better , imo

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not a big fan of that new Final Smash. Why go to the trouble of putting on and taking off that suit when you could just jump into the cockpit and fire away? Personally, would have preferred just summoning the Gunship and let it crash land onto the stage.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Not a big fan of that new Final Smash. Why go to the trouble of putting on and taking off that suit when you could just jump into the cockpit and fire away? Personally, would have preferred just summoning the Gunship and let it crash land onto the stage.
I know right? Especially when her Final Smash doesn't trigger a transformation into the regular Samus that you have to use for the remainder of the match like in Brawl. She should have just stayed in her Zero Suit and fired away. It's confusing when the other player is classic Samus and you temporarily have the same model as her.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
*Get in Power Suit

*Get in Ship

*Use Power Suit to fire Laser

???

Profit

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
It's most likely due to her censorship. Even Snake lost his best assets.
Don't see why, her being more athletic, especially in the legs and thighs area is more appealing. Regardless, she'll probably be as fun to play as she was before.

Top Bottom