• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game stresses me out

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
I feel like i'm never improving and it's really stressing me out.

Any tips on improving my game? Mechanics and such?

I also am in search of a main!

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Well the first question I'm gonna ask you if I'm gonna try to help is:

How are you going to know when you improve?

Last edited:

Juurian204

Smash Rookie
NNID
Juurian204
Switch FC
SW-0967-0556-6587
Just keep playing against players that are around your skill level and move on up i'd say. the world is big and so is the twitch community for smash i'm sure you can find people to practice against!

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
I feel like i'm never improving and it's really stressing me out.

Any tips on improving my game? Mechanics and such?

I also am in search of a main!
good point..lol. I just feel like i'm not getting any better. I did only start playing today though because I was busy Friday & saturday

Just keep playing against players that are around your skill level and move on up i'd say. the world is big and so is the twitch community for smash i'm sure you can find people to practice against!
yeah let's hope so! I need to get better for sure ;/

Xfire

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7577-9083-5019
Take some time. I'm sure you'll be developing great skills in this game. :D It's also important to have fun for the whole time.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
It's all about the baby steps. Every good player started from the bottom. Give yourself some time and dedication, and you'll flex on your foes very soon.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Last smash i played was brawl(the goat btw) and it only took me 43 hours of playtime to adjust. If people are struggling to adjust and the last game they played was ssb4 then im surprised. Ssb is an easy fighter it should just come to you naturally but, if thats not the case then my advice would be get a main first and foremost. Then go to training mode and mess around with them for atleast an hour or more. Drill their moves into your head and mess around in training as if your fighting a real match. Once u mastered a main, all your problems afterwards are mostly solved because all characters have the same button inputs for their moves and specials. Fighting cpus doesnt help. U get better experience fighting actual ppl.

OmegaLurker

Smash Rookie
NNID
charlou8808
Switch FC
SW 1879 7171 9109
Just play again and again and you will get better with time

Unisex

Smash Rookie
Personally I always tell people to play people better than them. Playing your skill level or lower ends up not being very helpful when Im learning. You just cant be ashamed of losing. Losing hard. Losing match after match. Keep losing until your brain can keep up with what youre seeing on screen.

You might not see improvement fighting those people for a long time. But trust me, youll see a difference fighting people that were your level.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I consider myself to be pretty darn good at Smash 4, but honestly, being really good at that one and only having this one for a few days so far makes me feel worse at this one. It's only a matter of time, don't lose hope. Finding that main of yours is going to make a world of difference, tell you what. Once I got Roy unlocked, all was gucci.

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
You'll get it man! if you wanna practice sometime lemme know! i'm always down to play with new people keeps things fresh! friend codes in the sig.
Gotcha, I will add you for sure ;)

I consider myself to be pretty darn good at Smash 4, but honestly, being really good at that one and only having this one for a few days so far makes me feel worse at this one. It's only a matter of time, don't lose hope. Finding that main of yours is going to make a world of difference, tell you what. Once I got Roy unlocked, all was gucci.
I appreciate this, I think the main problem is that i'm not sure who I want to play as a main.

Personally I always tell people to play people better than them. Playing your skill level or lower ends up not being very helpful when Im learning. You just cant be ashamed of losing. Losing hard. Losing match after match. Keep losing until your brain can keep up with what youre seeing on screen.

You might not see improvement fighting those people for a long time. But trust me, youll see a difference fighting people that were your level.
Yeah i've been told this as well. I'm trying to do just that and keep reminding myself that losing is okay as long as i'm learning. Thanks for the kind words :)

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i've been told this as well. I'm trying to do just that and keep reminding myself that losing is okay as long as i'm learning. Thanks for the kind words :)
Just try everyone you have on lower difficulty settings, and eventually either one will click, or you'll unlock new characters and try those and one of them will. There's one for everyone in this game. When you play, do you like to stay close to the opponent a lot and keep them on their heels? Or do you like to run away and pester them with projectiles? There are a lot of different playstyles to consider, and characters that fit each (sometimes more than one) better than others.

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
Just try everyone you have on lower difficulty settings, and eventually either one will click, or you'll unlock new characters and try those and one of them will. There's one for everyone in this game. When you play, do you like to stay close to the opponent a lot and keep them on their heels? Or do you like to run away and pester them with projectiles? There are a lot of different playstyles to consider, and characters that fit each (sometimes more than one) better than others.
I think my problem right now is that I'm not as fast as I could be. I see people playing cpt falcon in this game and going super fast. Maybe they are half hopping or sprint canceling? I'm just confused as to what I'm doing wrong. (Sorry if I don't know the correct terms yet).

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I think my problem right now is that I'm not as fast as I could be. I see people playing cpt falcon in this game and going super fast. Maybe they are half hopping or sprint canceling? I'm just confused as to what I'm doing wrong. (Sorry if I don't know the correct terms yet).
You'll just get faster over time. I do recommend that you look-up Izawsmash on youtube though. Probably the best smash guides on the whole site right now. He just did one for Smash ultimate that's totally worth watching. I'll edit my post in just a minute with the link.

EDIT:. https://youtu.be/ta3L35wsE6o

Last edited:

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Seeing your recent responses, three things come to mind.

First, watching other players play will always “seem” faster than when you’re playing, simply because of how activated your brain is. You really should watch recordings side-by-side if you’re going to gauge speed like that.

Secondly, don’t just focus on “getting better”. That’s an abstract concept. Pick a specific aspect and try to improve on that. For example, set a goal of “I want to work on landing more safe smashes with my main. My problematic matchups with my main are with characters x, y, and z. So first I’ll research where some openings are against those characters. Then I’ll research which of my smash attacks can capitalize against those openings. Then I’ll play matches against those characters and try to execute what I’ve learned!”

Passively practicing won’t get you very far. Try to practice in a methodical way with a particular goal, and you’ll improve much faster!

Thirdly, pick a main

Last edited:

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
Seeing your recent responses, three things come to mind.

First, watching other players play will always “seem” faster than when you’re playing, simply because of how activated your brain is. You really should watch recordings side-by-side if you’re going to gauge speed like that.

Secondly, don’t just focus on “getting better”. That’s an abstract concept. Pick a specific aspect and try to improve on that. For example, set a goal of “I want to work on landing more safe smashes with my main. My problematic matchups with my main are with characters x, y, and z. So first I’ll research where some openings are against those characters. Then I’ll research which of my smash attacks can capitalize against those openings. Then I’ll play matches against those characters and try to execute what I’ve learned!”

Passively practicing won’t get you very far. Try to practice in a methodical way with a particular goal, and you’ll improve much faster!

Thirdly, pick a main
Thanks for this! It's a great way to think and i'll definitely look into it! To be honest, i'm leaning towards Capt. Falcon as my main and I'm having problems against Pikachu and Inkling so far.

I will definitely also have to improve techniques like short hop, wave dash and so forth.

Thanks again :ultfalcon:

You'll just get faster over time. I do recommend that you look-up Izawsmash on youtube though. Probably the best smash guides on the whole site right now. He just did one for Smash ultimate that's totally worth watching. I'll edit my post in just a minute with the link.

EDIT:. https://youtu.be/ta3L35wsE6o
Okay awesome! I will watch it now! Btw, can I add you ? :)

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
Yeah man, no problem. And sure, though I'm not totally certain how often I'll be on here this coming week. Hopefully I can come here often.
No problem! My fc code is 6558-0854-8683

Try joining battle arenas for beginners, and avoid 1 on 1 matches. Those become competitive fast.
Should I not do quickplay?

Yeah man, no problem. And sure, though I'm not totally certain how often I'll be on here this coming week. Hopefully I can come here often.
is it bad to quickplay?

Top Bottom