• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament This game isn't dead/ dying is it?

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I've been trying to find content and information on the game and YouTube seems to be really sparse on videos more recent than like the week that the game came out, so is the game dead or what? I enjoy it and I'd play it a lot more but for some reason the idea of getting good at a game nobody plays is really unappealing to me.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
The scene isn't dying. The online scene is very active actually, and I am pretty sure there are a good number of online tournaments for this game, but they aren't mentioned on Smashboards.

While YouTube isn't putting out as many videos for the game at the moment due to the initial "new game" hype dying off, there are a lot of Twitch streams for Pokken. If you want to watch videos for the game, that is a better place to look.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Tournaments are difficult to host because basically no one wants to invest in dozens of Wii U to host a Lan tournament.

I guess the guys who love the game will keep it alive somehow, but for now it's pretty much dying, as Nintendo didn't quite made it tournament-friendly.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Hopefully once school lets out and EVO draws ever closer the hype will increase

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
We'll see at EVO. If the viewership is high and a large amount of entrants are there, we might see a metagame start to form. But if nobody watches or if nobody wants to play, we have a dead game on our hands.

iFLuX

Smash Rookie
I feel like pokken is going to be looked back at like smash 64 in a few years after a sequel hits.
As stated above, the split screen is clunky at best, and that's really gonna screw up its potential in tournaments.
Since launch week when I picked it up, my opinion on Pokken has been that it's going to dwindle until a sequel comes out to rectify the issues that currently hold it back from reaching its full competitive potential.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I wouldn't say the game or community is "dying", but it's undeniable that the hype has pretty much flushed out. The online mode still has a bunch of active players, and with the scheduled appearance at EVO I don't think Pokémon Company is gonna let it die that easily. Even so it's still a good game. I don't expect it to disappear off the face of the earth, but it losing overall competitive popularity is plausible.

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
Pokken will die sooner or later (please let me be wrong). Online is always bad due to having to play rather different from local. And local sin't even good either as one person must play with the game pad thus meaning only one can use the hori pokken fight pad. Unless they use online feature and disregard local, I don't really see any hope. But I hope I'm wrong cuz I love pokemon and pokken is pretty fun.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I play Pokken Tournament on-line every single day and regardless of whether I'm playing Ranked or Friendly I always find an opponent in less than ten seconds. That's much faster than I find opponents in Street Fighter V.

Also want to mention that the best controller to play Pokken with is arguably the Wii U Pro controller. What's nice about that controller is that it's also compatible with Mario Kart 8 and Sm4sh. Here's a picture of this awesome controller in case you're not familiar with it.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
I feel like pokken is going to be looked back at like smash 64 in a few years after a sequel hits.
As stated above, the split screen is clunky at best, and that's really gonna screw up its potential in tournaments.
Since launch week when I picked it up, my opinion on Pokken has been that it's going to dwindle until a sequel comes out to rectify the issues that currently hold it back from reaching its full competitive potential.
Pokken will die sooner or later (please let me be wrong). Online is always bad due to having to play rather different from local. And local sin't even good either as one person must play with the game pad thus meaning only one can use the hori pokken fight pad. Unless they use online feature and disregard local, I don't really see any hope. But I hope I'm wrong cuz I love pokemon and pokken is pretty fun.
That's why LAN is a thing. You should really look into that before saying the locals suck, just saying. But anyways, LAN takes two Wii U's and two TVs, any controller can be used and both people get their own TV screen that will run the game on 60 FPS instead of being dropped to 30 FPS on the two player mode that forces Gamepad usage.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
That's why LAN is a thing. You should really look into that before saying the locals suck, just saying. But anyways, LAN takes two Wii U's and two TVs, any controller can be used and both people get their own TV screen that will run the game on 60 FPS instead of being dropped to 30 FPS on the two player mode that forces Gamepad usage.
That being said however means twice the Wii U's and twice the TV's to run a tournament. If you wanted to have 5 setups for the tournament, that means 10 Wii U's and 10 TV's. That's a pretty good number of supplies. And that's why Pokken is not favorable by TO's. It requires them to rely on entrants to help by bringing their own setups. And I know that most TO's don't supply more than at least 2 setups.

iFLuX

Smash Rookie
I've been to a LAN event for Pokken, so that would make you the one assuming. It takes too much space, requires too many setups, and not enough people want to provide setups for the the smaller events.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
A proper fighting game like Pokken Tournament can't die before the meta-game fully develops. ;)
skullgirls and yatagarasu attack on cataclysm

i mean it's all situational in the end, it's not like those 2 games were destined for EVO...

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Pokken is a great game and all, but it suffers from logistical barriers that people saw coming from a mile away. The moment they announced the multiplayer mechanism it was pretty much a given that it was going to be a nightmare to set up. In the same space you can have two Pokken setups going, you can have four Smash 4 setups. Also given that setup supplies are not guaranteed at a grassroots event, it makes things too difficult for TOs to want to invest the time and effort in. Personally i'd love to get some grassroots stuff going in the UK, but people seem reluctant because of the above logistics.

The correct support from TCPi is make or break for the game. But given their terrible showing at the UK nationals, i'm not hopeful for the games future.

To be honest I think Pokken would have really flourished if it had been targeted at the 3DS, simply because it would eliminate pretty much all of the logistical problems. But as it stands we're probably going to see the game slowly wither until it becomes an online-only affair.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
There are always people who are willing to do LAN setups for games they really love. We need look no further than Quakecon as proof of that. All we can do going forward is hope that Pokken Tournament develops enough of a following to inspire fans to go through a little hassle to play the game at the highest level.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Here's a little more on Pokken Tournament LAN parties.

I've got a suspicion that after this year's EVO, Pokken LAN parties are going to become more of a thing. Especially when people realize just how deep Pokken Tournament truly is as exemplified by this informative video about the Synergy Burst mechanic.

Prioritized

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prioritized
3DS FC
0430-8412-2191
The upcoming patch will probably bring interest back to the game.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Aaaaaand, it didn't.

All that happened was that Mewtwo got utterly destroyed by nerfs to his good tools, leaving in all of his glaring weaknesses, while everyone else (including Shadow Mewtwo) got buffs and various fixes.

Result: Shadow Mewtwo stays on top of the tier list, and everyone else moves up a space while Mewtwo settles right in at the bottom.

None of the other characters got nerfs to their idiocy, and mindless play is still rewarded, and even more than before. This game is as good as dead in about 2 months.

Nah

Smash Champion
It's a shame the recent patch didn't fix any major issues (though I'm glad that they made the hitbox on Garchomp's counter better). When I heard that there was gonna be a lot of changes I was expecting.....well not this.

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
Of course this game isn't dead. The game itself is pushing itself to be competitive much more the Smash 4 is. (I still love Sm4sh tho.)
As for the lack of Youtube videos about it, just give it time! The game hasn't even been out for a year yet!
What kind of fighting game do you think this is? Brawl?
https://youtu.be/R7Y8A9cKlyI
(Brawl has a special place in my heart, too.)

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Of course this game isn't dead. The game itself is pushing itself to be competitive much more the Smash 4 is. (I still love Sm4sh tho.)
As for the lack of Youtube videos about it, just give it time! The game hasn't even been out for a year yet!
What kind of fighting game do you think this is? Brawl?
https://youtu.be/R7Y8A9cKlyI
(Brawl has a special place in my heart, too.)
more competitive than sm4sh lol
The reason nobody plays it as much is because it's very basic as a fighting game, all the combos can be optimized with little difficulty, and at it's core it's RPS. Contrast with say, Street Fighter 4, which is technically still RPS, but has a HUGE focus on footsies and execution. Competitive players were blowing it off at the start, just ask anyone important in the FGC. Don't get me wrong, I love Pokken, but it was doomed to die pretty quickly due to all the factors.

people are going to hate me after this post

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
The reason nobody plays it as much is because it's very basic as a fighting game, all the combos can be optimized with little difficulty, and at it's core it's RPS. Contrast with say, Street Fighter 4, which is technically still RPS, but has a HUGE focus on footsies and execution. Competitive players were blowing it off at the start, just ask anyone important in the FGC. Don't get me wrong, I love Pokken, but it was doomed to die pretty quickly due to all the factors.

Oh. I don't really follow Pokken's meta so I wouldn't know that. I've only played one match (not even joking) and saw all the tutorials and the game felt way too complicated if anything.

also ur cumnt abut sm4sh trigereded meh. Ima complain abut dis on tumblr.

Last edited:

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562

you do realize that 2/3s of what you said could be applied to sm4sh correct? For many years the FGC ignored smash brothers saying that it was not a fighting game but rather a party game and had no place in the FGC. While in recent times smash bros has become much more excepted by the FGC and returned to Evo this was not their original reaction to competitive smash bros and it took many years of handwork by players and T.Os of the game to get it back at Evo.

In addition combos in smash 4 are just as easy to execute as in pokken. While D.I and rage do affect whether or not a combo will work on different weight classes of characters, once you have the ranges where combos are true on the different characters, you have learned comboing in smash 4. timing windows are practically nonexistent. I consider my self to have terrible fine motor skills but even I was able to do the meta knight ladder back before they nerfed it, and people said that was the hardest combo to pull of in the game at the time.

Look pokken is fine competitively, its only been out a couple months and I already have a small weekly in my area. At this point in smashes life cycle ( the first months of smash 64s release) their was no tournament scene at all. it was a casual party game at the time and it took a whole sequel before we saw any kind of a competitive scene.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
you do realize that 2/3s of what you said could be applied to sm4sh correct? For many years the FGC ignored smash brothers saying that it was not a fighting game but rather a party game and had no place in the FGC. While in recent times smash bros has become much more excepted by the FGC and returned to Evo this was not their original reaction to competitive smash bros and it took many years of handwork by players and T.Os of the game to get it back at Evo.

In addition combos in smash 4 are just as easy to execute as in pokken. While D.I and rage do affect whether or not a combo will work on different weight classes of characters, once you have the ranges where combos are true on the different characters, you have learned comboing in smash 4. timing windows are practically nonexistent. I consider my self to have terrible fine motor skills but even I was able to do the meta knight ladder back before they nerfed it, and people said that was the hardest combo to pull of in the game at the time.

Look pokken is fine competitively, its only been out a couple months and I already have a small weekly in my area. At this point in smashes life cycle ( the first months of smash 64s release) their was no tournament scene at all. it was a casual party game at the time and it took a whole sequel before we saw any kind of a competitive scene.
Fair enough, but we need a large push of very dedicated players to do what smash did. I don't see the dedication that Melee players had to push their game, at least not yet. And maybe you are right, I could just be pessimistic. But I've grown used to fighting games dying quickly. How long did people ride the hype train for Divekick? Or Lethal League? Skullgirls? The only way I can play these games anymore is with my friends, nobody is online for these games. I really don't want that to happen to Pokken, but it looks like it might head down the road of obscurity as well.

Last edited:

Charizard_X

Smash Rookie
NNID
GamerPro96
The core game is great but I wished Nintendo would have updated more oftenly the game and add new fighters like Smash 4. Also it's really clunky and not fu nat all for tournament hosting and preparation in-game.

Top Bottom