• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"This Episode Was Brought to You Today By The Letters W and B": The General Sesame Street for MultiVersus Support/Discussion Thread

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
No, I am not trolling when writing out the intro for this support thread. This is not a belated April Fools day joke. This is just something to boost discussion about potential additions to MultiVersus as well as the idea that any crossover can be possible in the game. Also, I run a platform fighting game creation thread that has Big Bird and Elmo as fighters on the roster. So, any fictional character can be in a platform fighter with the right mindset.

Sesame-Street.jpg

What is Sesame Street?

This franchise does not really need much of an introduction due to its global popularity around the world as well as its longevity (It’s still going!). But, here’s my try at a brief introduction to Sesame Street.

Sesame Street is a long-running educational television (that’s been around for more than 50 years) for preschoolers that combines live-action, sketch comedy, animated shorts and puppetry that started off on PBS. The show has taught millions of young people essential education skills such as reading, math, science, etc. as well as life lessons. The show has even gone into more serious topics such as death, what to do in case a fire happens, addiction, marriage, how to interact with a person with autism, etc. Therefore, this show has proven to hit all the common core areas needed for a child’s education. Given it's popularity, there have been numerous home video releases, books, even its own theme park in Pennsylvania called Sesame Place as well as theme park areas in the SeaWorld theme parks, etc. The brand is everywhere for sure. Throw in the fact there have been NUMEROUS international versions of Sesame Street in so many different countries. That's just how recognizable the brand is.

Wait…is Sesame Street affiliated with Warner Bros?

To get things straight, Sesame Street is not owned by Warner Bros…the brand is owned by the nonprofit organization, Sesame Workshop. However, it has been shown that Sesame Workshop and Warner Bros have had a really good relationship.

For instance….

• Warner Bros released the first Sesame Street movie, Follow That Bird. Fun fact: The thread’s title is based off of the Warner Bros logo variant that showed before the movie began with the quote Big Bird says. Also, a Wile. E Coyote plush appeared in the movie as well.
  • From 2010 to 2018, Warner Home Video has distributed Sesame Street videos on DVD. Along with this, the Sesame Street video games were published through Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
  • Sesame Street has also had new episode premieres on HBO as well as HBO Max now starting from 2015 to present.
  • The brand has had guest appearances as well as referenced a multitude of Warner Bros’s IPs including special guest appearances from Batman and John Oliver on The Not-Too-Late-Show with Elmo. Also, the show has made references/parodies of DC’s Super Heroes, Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings (I think), Scooby-Doo, etc.
  • Also, the Sesame Street special Elmo’s Playdate aired on Cartoon Network in 2020 as well as The Not-Too-Late-Show with Elmo airing on the “Cartoonito” line up this year.

Quite a good partnership, don;t ya think?

Why should Sesame Street receive content in MultiVersus?

I believe Sesame Street should receive content in MultiVersus due to the fact we do not have any characters representing the preschool brands HBO Max streams or that HBO has on their channel. In fact, I just feel MultiVersus is the PERFECT place to have those out-of-left-field or don’t belong in a fighting game additions. Heck, if proven true by that NetherRealm MultiVersus leaker, Ted Lasso could be joining MultiVersus. Take the leak with a grain of salt. Therefore, this can further the point as to how any character/IP connected to Warner Bros has a shot, no matter how out-of-left field they are.

Plus, Sesame Street is a super iconic franchise as I have stated numerous times. Sesame Street has commonly crossed over/referenced Warner Bros’s pantheon of iconic IPs. Therefore, the addition of any Sesame Street character or content can shake up discussion.

What content can Sesame Street bring?

For characters, there are two big choices who can be fighters to represent the series faithfully:

Big Bird and Elmo.

bigbirdelmo1.jpg

Big Bird is simply the face of Sesame Street. He’s been there since 1969 and has been an iconic character for a multitude of decades. He can be a bruiser with moves based around the different segments and educational aspects, maybe a Seek Mode to reference the Journey to Ernie segments.

Elmo is now even the bigger face than Big Bird. He is a memelord as shown. MultiVersus is capitalizing on memes so Elmo is the perfect meme choice. Give him a move with Rocco or with the Alaskan flag. Even one of the moves can reference the Elmo in hell meme or something like that. A perfect lightweight bruiser right here.

There’s also Super Grover who would make sense with super hero esque moves, Bert and Ernie as a tag team, Abby Cadabby as a mage/ranged fighter with spells, Oscar the Grouch as a mage/ranged with trash themed attacks, etc. Lots of possibilities.

The stage can obviously be Sesame Street itself. It’ll be a multilevel stage where you can see the various residents of Sesame Street cheering you on as you fight. Maybe throw in a ball bouncing to inflict damage on the fighters and what not. A simple stage for the younguns.

6194a437699f48f41ee8d2b3d6467414.jpg

Overall, Sesame Street is a huge franchise and should be represented in MultiVersus in some form. Feel free to discuss/post your ideas here for Sesame Street content in MultiVersus.

The Residents of Sesame Street (Supporters)
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
LimeTH LimeTH
Greenhorne Ethan Greenhorne Ethan

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Even if it might not fully fit the spirit of the show, I'm all for the idea of a Sesame Street character, but there's something of a problem. Elmo and Big Bird are just too non-violent, and don't get involved in slapstick all that much. I don't think they would fit, even if they are more or less the main characters. The thing about Sesame Street is that it's stable of iconic, instantly recognizable characters is so huge that you don't NEED to put in the quote unquote "main characters". Pretty much anyone will do.

My picks for a Sesame Street character would be someone who would willingly get their hands dirty, or at least you could realistically see them doing so.
Here are two possibilities.

Super Grover
1654397337670.png

Beyond being a longtime fan favorite alter ego of an already long time fan favorite character, Super Grover has a few things going for him in this regard.
First, foremost and pretty obviously, he's a superhero. While the only power we see him having is the power of flight, he is notorious for crash landings. There's your up special right there.
Second, Grover is a much more slapstick character than pretty much any other Sesame Street resident. If someone is going to get hurt or suffer a pratfall, it's likely going to be Grover.
Third, Super Grover could easily implement general Sesame Street aesthetics and iconography into his moveset, since his segments usually revolved around that sort of thing anyway. Using letters and numbers as projectiles for instance. Other such moves could be references to Grover's other skits, primarily his job as a waiter.
Also come on, you know you wanna see Super Grover meet Superman!

As for alternate costumes, Super Grover has an alternate look in Super Grover 2.0
1654398204024.png

His alter ego's alter ego, Grover Kent
1654398385338.png

Professor Super Grover of Professor Super Grover's Superhero School
1654398447902.png

and okay this isn't specifically Super Grover, but it's Grover parodying another Superhero, Iron Monster
1654398497402.png

Character number two!
Oscar the Grouch

1654398596011.png

Oscar would love all the fighting and pain going on in Multiversus! Which he would hate because love makes him miserable. He loves being miserable!
Oscar the Grouch is the very well known jerkass of Sesame Street. When he isn't yelling at people to leave him alone, he's deliberately playing pranks, causing problems or making messes.
A moveset for Oscar is so easy you don't even need to throw in any unrelated letters/numbers/educational references. What does Oscar love? Trash. His moveset would revolve entirely around his collection of garbage, and the trashcan he inhabits/wears.
How would he move around? Easy!
1654398905462.png

1654398934538.png

Oscar is another very slapstick character. In the Sesame Street Christmas special, he, with his legs sticking out of his can like in the above pictures, gets thrown down several flights of stairs and through at least two walls. He immediately wants to go through it again.
The possibility for unique dialogue is tremendous here. Imagine Oscar giving personalized insults for the likes of Batman and Shaggy.
I don't know any specific Oscar costume possibilities beyond his appearance in the first season when he was orange instead of green, but the team color thing would probably render that redundant. There's gotta be some good ones though, this is a 50+ year long running character we're talking about here.

Either way, put me on the list. I think these two would be the best way to represent Sesame Street without going against it's lighthearted and welcoming spirit, since these two are more fitting for the situations presented by Multiversus than pacifists like Elmo and Big Bird.

I mean I wouldn't complain if we got Elmo, but miss me with Big Bird. I'd never be able to bring myself to harm him in any way!

Last edited:

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Love Henson/Muppet works, but it mostly started as an adult with "The Muppets" under Disney and The Dark Crystal. Most I ever saw under that umbrella as a kid was Bear in the Big Blue House and some Play with Me Sesame.

Sesame Street absolutely deserves to be among the works celebrated in MultiVersus, but I agree that it needs to be handled with care. I do still love preschool shows when they're nostalgic/particularly good, but my personal pick for anything in MultiVersus would be Thomas (and the Magic Railroad?), my Wooden Railway collection is currently at a family friend's daycare. But yeah, knowing Sonia Manzano's history as Maria on Sesame Street, I do already love Alma's Way.

Support, my choice for a fighter would be Oscar. Any proceeds Sesame Workshop would get from MultiVersus are definitely deserved, and I understand their current situation with Warner/HBO/Cartoonito is because they need funding.

Top Bottom