• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Time Top Tier?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, with Diddy being back I notice his moveset really hasn't changed much. Which bodes great!

Shameful that Diddy wasn't playable in the demo, but from what I've seen, he seems to play a lot like his Smash 4 self. Which kinda bodes well for us Protege-Hero Kong lovers.

Am just gonna say, am predicting a third time top tier status yet again. He'll likely receive a few nerfs however, but I can't imagine Diddy losing much with all the new tactics and advanced techniques, as Diddy always had the very best neutral game anyway, and this might only increase his options.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
He'll likely once again be really good if he doesn't receive any major nerfs that really hurt his playstyle. He's been nerfed before and he still remained a top tier character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He'll likely once again be really good if he doesn't receive any major nerfs that really hurt his playstyle. He's been nerfed before and he still remained a top tier character.
Well from what I've seen most good characters from Smash 4 are still pretty great. For example Bayonetta, Cloud, Mario, Sheik, Marth and Mewtwo seem mosty unchanged- if not almost identical. Link doesn't seem much better either, same with Samus.

I have a hard time picturing heavy nerfs for Diddy. They patched him a lot, and despite all nerfs he remained Top Tier. Besides, after the nerf of Hoo Hah, the most major complaints where about Cloud, Bayonetta and Sheik.

There was even a time where Diddy was nerfed so hard he had almost no attacks that where safe on shield. Then they buffed him a little to where he's at now.

At the very least I expect a little more power on his Up and Neutral Aerial cause those attacks felt kind of underwhelming. B Air and F Air also might switch knock back vallues.

I expect Diddy and Sheik to be the most dominant characters in neutral yet again. Which is why I can't picture him doing badly. The game seems heavily inspired on Smash Wii U's engine, so that only helps.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
What have we even seen in terms of changes? New jab and banana's fade after one hit/trip? Doesn't really seem deal breaking to me. The new engine/mechanic changes are obviously all pros in his favor too.

Only thing that could hurt him is if everybody that was buffed specifically as well as by the new engine outshines him as a result of him being relatively untouched.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What have we even seen in terms of changes? New jab and banana's fade after one hit/trip? Doesn't really seem deal breaking to me. The new engine/mechanic changes are obviously all pros in his favor too.

Only thing that could hurt him is if everybody that was buffed specifically as well as by the new engine outshines him as a result of him being relatively untouched.
Doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Whom ever left bananas on stage for anyone to pick ever? Certainly no Diddy main. It'll just be a small thing we'll easily adapt to. I also never really used the jab combo of old, so am excited for this new attack and it's properties. The tail wag was sometimes handy for throwing out at random, unexpected, but in the end I think I prefer a more functional move.

The changes in the ground play will probably make Diddy more effective anyway. We can't do as much out of shield anymore I guess, but the mix ups with bananas will still excist. What about a sudden turn about Side B kick in the face? That's also gonna help us a lot. Spacing a little with F Tilt, D Tilt to grab to aerial attack of choice.. Hopefully U Air will be a little stronger than the last version of Smash 4 too.

I expect Diddy to remain a solid character, and ZeRo is probably still gonna pick him regardless. So that'd be great. He seemed to have stuck with Sheik in the invitational as well, so no doubt Diddy will be a character of choice for him as well.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Banana makes Diddy good no matter what context you put him into. Just by design he has free pressure, ground control, and a set up for big damage; this without mentioning a neutral reset button and meaty hitboxes. Something DRASTIC would have to happen to make Diddy anything but a top tier character.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
I'll still be maining him. The jab change alone helps our neutral even more. Brawl jab was fast and useful for ledge shield push situations. Can't wait to see what other minor changes there are sure to be.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I'm sick of this monkey stealing all the top tier spots, him and marth, and fox too, just give us some damn variety in the top tiers for a change

Top Bottom