• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thinking of picking up a new main; any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
So yeah, title says it all.

I consider myself to be slightly more advanced than your average Joe at Smash, though I'm nowhere near tournament level (this is something I wish to rectify, however), managing to win a good chunk of For Glory and personal matches under tournament conditions, though I have my fair share of losses when coming up against higher level Diddy Kong and Zero Suit players. Having mained Pac-Man since the day I got the game (I'd already committed myself to this upon seeing his reveal trailer), I think it's fair to say I know him very well, though some browsing on these boards tells me I need to brush up on advanced techniques. However, I would like to expand my reservoir of mains to allow me to better adapt to certain match-ups (I've generally seen Pac-Man listed as B tier, sometimes C tier, so not too good or bad) and to allow me to have a greater variety of options. I'd like to start learning higher tier characters like Ness or Yoshi, but I've no idea where to begin. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
Thing is, no other character really jumps out as me as one that I want to particularly play.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just find whoever is top tier and play them

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Jtails posted a video on something like this on YouTube (on my phone atm so I can't post it) but it may help you get some ideas...

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
I have seen that video actually, I just don't really know where to start. I don't know the ideal playstyles of most characters, so I'm having trouble trying to figure out who would suit me. As a Pac-Main, I usually focus on spacing, though I'm always prepared to use him as a rushdown character to catch an opponent off guard. Would that help narrow down my search?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well my mains are Link(spacing) and ZSS(rush down)...not that I'd want to sway you a certain way...one thing you could try is random For Glory just to see if any character that comes up will surprise you in any way...or what characters do you like? What franchises do you like? As a fan of Zelda and Metroid it made my choices rather easy for mains then its just getting accustomed to their playstyle...(I like Samus as well but don't use her often because she is a campy character that does not work well against faster fighters)...know what you like in characters
-long range?
-fast fallers?
-power?
-gimping?
-projectiles?
If you like power characters but want a bit more speed then try Captain Falcon...if you like spacing and baiting for punishes try Megaman...if you want fast free flowing combos and a ton of gimping possibility try Sheik...
Its all a matter of trial and error really...

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
Well my mains are Link(spacing) and ZSS(rush down)...not that I'd want to sway you a certain way...one thing you could try is random For Glory just to see if any character that comes up will surprise you in any way...or what characters do you like? What franchises do you like? As a fan of Zelda and Metroid it made my choices rather easy for mains then its just getting accustomed to their playstyle...(I like Samus as well but don't use her often because she is a campy character that does not work well against faster fighters)...know what you like in characters
-long range?
-fast fallers?
-power?
-gimping?
-projectiles?
If you like power characters but want a bit more speed then try Captain Falcon...if you like spacing and baiting for punishes try Megaman...if you want fast free flowing combos and a ton of gimping possibility try Sheik...
Its all a matter of trial and error really...
Well, I may try Sonic again after coming from Brawl with him as my main (though at that time I didn't even know what a main was, so that says a lot about me XD) seeing as I used to be a massive fan. Yoshi looks very viable, so I think I'll start trying him out, too...

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
My main is R.O.B, if you like gimicks. If you want power, Bowser's great, and of course, Marth is easy to pick up and play. OR you could be "that guy" and main Mewtwo, since he comes out real soon.

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
I'm not gonna be able to use Mewtwo until May...I've been begging for an EU code all over the internet, but to no avail. X(
Still, I do think Mewtwo's a lot better than he was in Melee, so I may try maining him here.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If sonic was your main in brawl, play sonic. He's only been buffed since.

PF9

Smash Lord
Go with my main, Pikachu. There's no denying the power of the electric mouse.

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
If sonic was your main in brawl, play sonic. He's only been buffed since.
Thing is, I was pretty much a button masher in Brawl. XD I find it hard to control Sonic and set up his combos in Smash 4.

Again, I would love to, but I've really no idea how to play him. I'm going to start looking up guides for him, though. I landed my first true Knee of Justice in For Glory today! :D

Go with my main, Pikachu. There's no denying the power of the electric mouse.
I know, like, 1 Pikachu combo; Up Throw to Down Special. XD

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, here are my reccomendations.

:4megaman: is a more zoner heavy version of :4pacman:and is often disbuted to be one of the better characters to fight Diddy with due to the fact that Megaman's projectiles neutralize and demolish Diddy's (Standard Megabuster shots clash with Banana).

:4luigi:'s Fireball give him a fair amount of zoning that people often underestimate and his rush down game is honestly more scary than people give credit to. His wonky traction is a bit hard to get used to, but that's also something that most Diddy and ZSS characters have issues playing against.

:4wario2: is, in my opinion, one of the best rush-down characters in this game because of the neutral game he can have just from chucking off motor cycles with Side B and immediately jumping off until he sees a chance to go in and do some of the more devastating aerial combos in the game. He almost has :4jigglypuff:tier air movement with more general options, heavier weight, and his bite is a Command Grab that works in the air and, if zoned right, actually covers someone on the ledge a LOT. (It'll out-prioritize Get Up Attacks, and has a large enough hitbox from jaw to body to nab standard get up and a roll). As he's one of my main 4 in rotation, I'm gonna sell this fat tub of muscle more than the others who I have lesser experience with.

Of course, there are the tried and true options of :4fox:/:4falco: Who I feel don't really need explainations to themselves.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Another possibility is to look at certain matchups you may have a hard time against with Pac-man...do you find you have a harder time against faster characters? Or against heavier characters do you find it hard getting the kill? Are projectile spammers an issue?
These are also important things to look at when choosing your mains...as they should feel like they'd almost be working as a team being able to cover different options (especially in competitive tournament play) and covering each others weaknesses; as I mentioned my mains are Link and ZSS...If I find if faster characters give me an issue with Link I'll try usibg ZSS since she is fast enough to keep up and I can stun with lasers...or if my ZSS just can't approach to get the kill I'll try Link who has more options at a longer range and has a lot more killing options...

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
I normally go for characters i like as characters not for play style, I love xenoblade and FE so i main Robin and Shulk even though i am much better at mii brawler than anyone else

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
Well, after some random For Glory matches, it seems I may be able to pick up Fox and Falcon. Watching guides for them now.

UPDATE:
Well, I've officially experienced my rite of passage as a Falcon player in a match against a friend. I managed to take his first stock on a perfect Knee of Justice and the second on a well timed Falcon Punch before we lost connection. Feeling proud. :'D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom