• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thinking about picking up Roy

Lus146

Smash Cadet
I've been in a huge slump with ZSS and we have a love hate relationship so because I am getting back into smash 4 I think that it is time for a new possibly. I haven't played Roy a ton but I think he has potential to be one of my good characters so my main question is how are his approaches? That is the main problem I have with ZSS, her approach is so bad and I end up getting punished hard a lot of the time. Anyway that is my only question so thank you!

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Nair/Fair are the main approach options generally, against characters who can beat out Roy's aerial approaches (Sheik, Marcina for example) you want to use more empty hops or Jab/Dtilt as pokes.

His approach game is decent if you use your tools instead of just mindlessly spamming Nair in neutral.

VeraCL0uD

Smash Rookie
NNID
maj02jr
Roy has an okay amount of approaching options. He has N-air and F-air, which are pretty quick and such.
Also, you can use N-air to mixup whilst approaching. Imo, F-air is the better move to approach with but N-air is good for your mixup game.

One thing: Dash attack can be an approaching move, but it's predictable, and a majority of people will shield, making the move pretty dangerous. With this, it's pretty much a huge risk.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Nair and Fair. What you mainly wanna do with Fair is the IASA cancel, which makes the move a lot more safer. After canceling the Fair, some things you can do are another aerial or neutral B(reverse), depending on if you got a hit or if you wanna cover your landing.

Creeeamy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3994-5969
Like every other person, I'm gonna say it, Nair and Fair are his best approaches, Nair in particular lands laglessely which is great, Dash attack can be an approach, most people will shield, doing this allows for Roy to approach with a grab, and his dash grab is pretty alright, and his throws are good enough. So Nair, Fair, Dash Attack and Grabs are the way to approach, and thought it's not an approach, jab works well to open up some combos.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hmm, you have necro-bumped a thread that is almost a year old...

Top Bottom