• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things You Wish You Knew When Starting Out

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, do you all know that feeling when you discover something and suddenly everything makes more sense and you instantly become better? Well I thought I'd make this thread for all aspiring marios to see what other people have discovered and help them improve their gameplay. Of course this thread isn't only for begginers, everyone has something left to learn, and hopefully we can all discover something that will help us improve.

I made a thread like this on the Marth forum and it seems to be helpful so I thought I'd make another one for mario :)

So here's how it goes, just post those things that helped you become better and that you wish you knew right off the bat. It's doesn't have to be specific to mario, anything is helpful.

I'll start us off:
I wish I knew that up air was an important move for combo extensions at mid percents.
I also wish I knew to save my double jump when recovering.
I also wish I knew that final destination is one of mario's best maps and he completely dominates on it.

Last edited:

No~m

Smash Rookie
I wish I knew that mapping the d-pad to special would allow me to get double my old down+B height
I wish I didn't learn to rely so heavily on fireballs in 3.0.2
I wish I knew how to stick to a game plan as opposed to getting distracted and trying to be flashy
I wish I knew how effective deep b-air edgeguards were (with Mario's silly recovery)

Wilfio

Smash Rookie
I wish I'd known how good jab downsmash was
I wish I'd learnt to JC grab rather than just shiedgrab
I wish I'd learnt to b-reverse my fireballs sooner

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
I wish I knew that using cape helped you recover.
I wish I wasn't so incompetent that I didn't notice that before playing Mario. At least my ignorance was short lived.

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
I wish someone told me to Back air more. that ish is godlike.
I wish someone told me to focus more on the simple stuff than technical stuff.(i.e i can utilize unique and technical options, but neglect mario's crouch cancel game).
I wish someone told me to dont change my controls and just play with tap jump on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom