• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you wish you knew when starting out

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, do you all know that feeling when you discover something and suddenly everything makes more sense and you instantly become better? Well I thought I'd make this thread for all aspiring marths to see what other people have discovered and help them improve their gameplay. Of course this thread isn't only for begginers, everyone has something left to learn, and hopefully we can all discover something that will help us improve.

So here's how it goes, just post those things that helped you become better and that you wish you knew right off the bat. It's doesn't have to be specific to Marth, anything is helpful.

I'll start us off.
I wish I knew that marth's fair is such a key move.
When I started playing Marth i used up air a lot when my opponent was in the air and it often cut off my combos, I found out that when I use his fair i can extend combos better.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I had that discovery fairly recently too. For so long I was dissatisfied with my combo game but now it's starting to improve thanks to smarter fair use.

One thing i'm starting to work on is intercepting the opponent with an aerial. I seen how many conversions PPU get in a off anti air aerials like that and it is staggering. Really helps in neutral when DDing with Dtilt and grab standard stuff to have a more robust gameplan.

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
I wish I knew saving your double jump is crucial when recovering

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
I wish I knew that doublejumping from right underneath a platform makes wavelanding a much simpler motion, closer to wavedashing.
I wish I thought about wavelanding more
I wish I knew saving your double jump is crucial when recovering
I wish I realized that the people I play with jump out of combos super early and I can just steal their soul after they double jump. (I swear to god this one thing put me a thousand miles ahead of everyone, even after I point it out.)

This is a good thread.

I wish I had thought to light press to l cancel sooner
I wish I had thought to light hold one shoulder button while wavedashing with other shoulder button way sooner
I wish I had known not to approach with shffl fair and didn't have to be taught by getting bodied for it over and over :p
I wish I had realized that you prep for illusion first, then react to Firefox/bird/doge. Also that counter beats almost any poorly spaced hitbox recovery but is way easier than other ledgeguards. (Spacies, roy, prolly many more)

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
I'm a new-ish Marth player and I'm definitely starting to realize these things, esp. saving your double jump for recovery and utilt use for combos. Just gotta keep working on it. Also don't spam fsmash Kappa.

Edit: LOL just realized this was the PM board and not Melee, still kinda applies tho.

Last edited:

xLithiumx

Smash Cadet
Wish I woulda known that all of Marth's moves have two spacings and that using the center of the blade can be just as good as tippers.
Also that there are 2 Nairs.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I wish I found this channel earlier https://m.youtube.com/user/towneshasnolife
He has really good Marth tutorials.
Hey, thanks for sharing this btw! Really helpful! One thing I learned from these tutorials that I had wish I had known is that you can't shield out of D-tilt until the entire animation ends, instead of the IASA frame. It is still in PM too though. Is that intentional? can all characters not do that or is just specific to Marth/Roy?

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Hey, thanks for sharing this btw! Really helpful! One thing I learned from these tutorials that I had wish I had known is that you can't shield out of D-tilt until the entire animation ends, instead of the IASA frame. It is still in PM too though. Is that intentional? can all characters not do that or is just specific to Marth/Roy?
I'm not sure if it is a property of Marth only, but it is intentional. The IASA for d tilt is conditional on the interrupting input not being a shield. It's in the code, and is not a bug.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Oh ok. Ippo said it was a Marth/Roy specific thing. Thanks for the info! It was hard to tell with the other characters when I was testing it out because I couldn't differentiate the timing between their IASA and the animation ending. I think all characters can't shield out of d-tilt, but it's just largely noticeable for Marth/Roy since their animation ends so late.

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Oh ok. Ippo said it was a Marth/Roy specific thing. Thanks for the info! It was hard to tell with the other characters when I was testing it out because I couldn't differentiate the timing between their IASA and the animation ending. I think all characters can't shield out of d-tilt, but it's just largely noticeable for Marth/Roy since their animation ends so late.
I just checked and can confirm that Roy has the sames specific disallowed interrupt as Marth on his d tilt (at least in PM)

As for other characters, I don't know.The dtilts on the characters I have looked at have regular IASA. This means you can shield in the IASA frames. Most of the time, these differences are pretty small, the biggest window I remember off the top of my head is Link, who has 8 frames between the IASA and when the animation of the move ends.

Compare this to Marth, who can interrupt his d tilt 30 frames before the animation ends (and I think Roy's is even longer).

As far as I am aware, no other character has this special interrupt on their d tilt, but I haven't looked through every character's d tilt so I can't say for sure. If you want to test, go with link, who can interrupt his d tilt starting frame 30. You might need to use debug mode though.

Top Bottom