• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you dislike about Ultimate

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Crowd cheers. They are atrocious. The cheers from Smash 64, Brawl, and even Melee are a million times better.

While that's a minor annoyance, I'm having a blast with this game, unlike a certain someone who I used to be friends with but broke it off with him because of his main problem.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The Online. I don't think I even need to elaborate on that one. It's just atrocious for so many reasons.

Other than that, the main thing that keeps me from enjoying Ultimate is its controls. I anticipate I'll be largely alone in saying this, but hear me out. It's a bit hard to explain, but the best way I can put it is that the game's controls feel sloppy, like my character is wading through hot sludge at all times. Even as "fast" characters like Mewtwo, it feels like it takes forever for my character to dash and come to a stop, let alone turn around. Even incredibly simple things like jumping over a projectile and smacking my opponent with a Fair feel extremely tricky and hard to pull off when they really shouldn't. Granted, this is a problem I have with Smash as a series more than with just Ultimate specifically, but it somehow feels even worse here (what with the horrendous buffer and the 5 frame minimum input lag and all). I like to contrast this with Rivals of Aether, another platform fighter which I have absolutely no trouble controlling despite being the more technical and fast-paced game compared to Smash and me having way less experience with it. Rivals' controls are smooth like butter, and I can move my character anywhere I want in that game with ease; by comparison, Smash's controls feel restrictive, like I can only move to set locations on the stage from where my character is. With the way it handles, Smash simultaneously feels overly messy in its execution and overly precise in what it demands of you as a player, and it keeps me from enjoying the game in any capacity beyond couch FFAs with my friends. And considering how cool the game is as a crossover, that's a darn shame.

Last edited:

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
Online woes:
  • In quickplay/elite I should be able to see whether a person is on wifi or ethernet and their ruleset before the match begins. I should also be able to leave without penalty at this time.
  • I should not be forced to leave an opponent when I reach or get kicked out of elite smash.
  • I should be able to change characters without leaving an opponent in quickplay/elite.
  • There should be some incentive to fight an opponent multiple times in quickplay/elite. There's nothing to learn if you have a new opponent before you can even try a different strategy.
  • Spectators should have no effect on the connection quality of the match in arenas. I have no clue of how realistic this is to implement.
  • You should be able to change characters, music, preferred stage, kick players, and view rules without giving up your spot in line in arenas.
  • Arena titles could use a few more characters.
  • There should be an option to forfeit in arenas and quickplay/elite.
General gameplay woes:
  • There's a serious lack of microspacing in this game, and I think walking would be perfect to fix this. At the moment most characters take too long to reach their max walking speed for walking to be a reactionary defensive option. If you see Roy running toward you and know an aerial is on its way, attempting to walk backwards won't give you enough distance. Dashing will, but you'll be too far away to retaliate. If you could immediately walk at full speed, you would cause that aerial to whiff. The change would be to give all characters maximum walking acceleration.
  • I like that almost all characters can safely touch shields in this game, but I don't like how this was implemented. Instead of making landing lag so low, I would've preferred if there was more shieldstun or shield pushback. This would make it easier to whiff punish aerials without sacrificing safety on shield. The only issue is that this would also take away a lot of combos. Maybe this would be best left alone.
  • I would like for there to be more landing lag for airdodging close to the ground.
  • I don't like that you can shave off 5 frames of lag from a spotdodge by attacking.
  • Some character-specific gripes that I won't go into detail about right here

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I have two more related to interface.
I dislike how the "GO" splash art stays on the screen when a match starts. Especially when combatants spawn close to each other, it obstructs the view of the gameplay. Due to S5's fast gameplay, you can engage with each other before the art is removed. This means in practice that fighters might throw out random attacks in the opponent's direction in hopes of hitting them. I can't even see the enemy, so I flail around aimlessly to avoid getting hit.

The KO closeup and red flash. It's supposed to indicate that a fighter is ko'd. However, depending on circumstances like damage and Di, they can actually survive. What a letdown. Raise the bar for when it triggers to confirm a KO (bar caves like in Temple). I had cases when the flash occurred and I had already given up on the stock only to realise that I can still continue - which I notice too late so I still die.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
alts dont save to your name
that was like the best thing that happend to smash 3ds
and it doesnt do that in ult which is a big shame

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I dont like that the game play the credits after finish Classic mode with all the characters. It looks dumb, not fun, and it consumes my points because I want to skip that boring minigame.

I also dont like to play the bonus stage in Classic. They are all the same and boring after just a few matches.

I dont like the totallity of the online mode of this game.

I dont like that all singleplayer modes are basically the same, only with different organizations. World of Light, Spirit Board and Classic are the big game modes and they all the same small matches with enemies or stages with different properties, only organized in a different way from each other. But it resumes all you have to do in the game in singleplayer as quick event matches.

The smaller modes are irrelevant to me, I preffer play something in a web browser than the minigames of Smash that get old after some plays.

I dont like that we dont have an adventure mode that is a true successor to Subspace Emissary.

I dont like that we dont have the best singleplayer modes from other games in the Ultimate game, like Smash Run, it could help to diminush the feel of having only quick battles to play every time I open the game to play some singleplayer content.

I dont like the fact that they dont make relevant updates in movesets of characters. Like Mario, they could remove that old FLUDD and change it for Cappy throw.

I dont like the online multiplayer at all.
I dont like that the online multiplayer of Brawlhalla works better than the multiplayer of Smash Ultimate.

I dont like that the developers focus so much in couch multiplayer that they ignore that most of the time people will play online multiplayer, that is pretty bad, from organization, to lagged matches, to a proper ranked system.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I dont like that the game play the credits after finish Classic mode with all the characters. It looks dumb, not fun, and it consumes my points because I want to skip that boring minigame.

I also dont like to play the bonus stage in Classic. They are all the same and boring after just a few matches.

I dont like the totallity of the online mode of this game.

I dont like that all singleplayer modes are basically the same, only with different organizations. World of Light, Spirit Board and Classic are the big game modes and they all the same small matches with enemies or stages with different properties, only organized in a different way from each other. But it resumes all you have to do in the game in singleplayer as quick event matches.

The smaller modes are irrelevant to me, I preffer play something in a web browser than the minigames of Smash that get old after some plays.

I dont like that we dont have an adventure mode that is a true successor to Subspace Emissary.

I dont like that we dont have the best singleplayer modes from other games in the Ultimate game, like Smash Run, it could help to diminush the feel of having only quick battles to play every time I open the game to play some singleplayer content.

I dont like the fact that they dont make relevant updates in movesets of characters. Like Mario, they could remove that old FLUDD and change it for Cappy throw.

I dont like the online multiplayer at all.
I dont like that the online multiplayer of Brawlhalla works better than the multiplayer of Smash Ultimate.

I dont like that the developers focus so much in couch multiplayer that they ignore that most of the time people will play online multiplayer, that is pretty bad, from organization, to lagged matches, to a proper ranked system.
Smash has undeniably become a shell of its former existence. But watch the experts flock to write a long assay disagreeing with you. :facepalm:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I don't like all the breakable stuff in stages that are NOT breakable in their source-game. Like, for instance, the Luigi's Mansion. It's not supposed to crumble. Why make it crumble? That's dumb.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The online is just an effortless money grab. They put no effort into this. Nintendo's refusal to develop a decent online experience combined with their isolation from esports is a telltale sign that they're still trying to maintain the image of a game company that makes family friendly games with a demographic of kids under the age of 14. Almost all of their highly advertised games are meant to be played as couch multiplayer (or at least not online in a major way), and Smash suffers because of this. It could be very lucrative for Nintendo if they tried esports or at least developing online servers that provided players with an experience they can't get on another platform. Smash was clearly meant to be the flagship of NSO, and it's the only game save SMM2 that has a major connection to the service. Other games have little use of online, which I'm guessing was Nintendo's intention.

The best example of evidence I can give for this is Three Houses. There was so much missed opportunity for online content in FE3H, and yet the most interaction between players is a laggy system of NPCs that represent random players online. You'd think in 2019 (basically 2020 now) they would have concocted some sort of brilliant online battle system or map maker or something that creates an interactive feedback loop for players who have completed the game half a dozen times by now. But no, we're limited to little icons and blips that tell you what other players are doing.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo has no intention of establishing a major online presence, and the only reason they're charging for NSO is because they realized they can make a ton of quick money by advertising it alongside Smash, which is why Smash's online is absolute trash. They don't have to make it any better if they know you're still going to pay for it. I'm pretty sure a few months ago somebody from Nintendo stated they were disappointed that not as many people s they had hoped for were purchasing the $20 subscription, even though it should be obvious to them that their online platform is mediocre compared to almost all others.
yeah. And while you have Smash that is a game that you pay $60 + $25 (or $30) for the DLC + $10 for the online system, resulting in a game that costs near $100 and made for big studios, that provides a laggy, unorganized online experience, you have Brawlhalla, a game that is more simple but is at the same style of Smash, a game that you can open eShop and download and play it for free, made from a small company, a game that has no excuses to use P2P system and actually use dedicated servers, and runs perfectly without any lag even with WiFi connections and has a very organized online system.

Smash has a lot of good content, that because of the lack of decent online - that loses in quality for a free game - will most of the time not be played.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Global Smash Power... BOY that's a rant that's been stewing in me for an entire year

I DESPISE Global Smash Power, it's a system that, in my opinion, makes you a worse player and does more to hurt your experience rather than make you a better player.

The biggest contributing factor to this is that you lose WAY more points than you gain! You can have a 2/3 win ratio, but that one loss will more than likely invalidate those two wins. Nothing burns me up more than spending an hour on Quick Play slowly increasing my points, only to suddenly lose two or three matches and have all my hard work get shot straight down the toilet and I'm back to where I started.

Also the fact that you start out so high and the fear of losing your points puts an extra strain on the player. To make a real world comparison for a moment: I do Grubhub as a side job to make money. For your first few deliveries you're doing A-Okay! But when your "newbie" grace period ends GH brings the hammer down; they tell you that you get perks if you do a good job and play by their rules so you can be promoted, but what they don't tell you is that you're starting at the highest level and if they decides you're not good enough, you're kicked down to a lower level where you can't even get your schedule and you're stuck with tablescraps for shifts and you can't work

That's how GSP feels: In other fighting games like say, Fighter Z, I'm working my way up from nothing; and the points balance is very fair and my progress reflects it. With GSP, you start out at the top and get punished hard for losing, where you'll be stuck fighting at the very bottom of the barrel unless you cling to those points of yours.

That's what I meant before about GSP making you a worse player. Losing stings, but you move on from it fairly quickly, on to the next match! At least that's how it is in other games.... In Smash, you lose, and you watch all that time and effort you spent just roll down and sink further and further. That doesn't make me want to play more, that makes me want to turn the game off after making no progress! Imagine if you just happen to have a losing streak and you drop from 4 million to 1? That'd piss anybody off! Losing is supposed to be constructive, it feels like I'm kicked in the stomach when I lose in Quick Play

And what even IS the reward? Elite Smash, the so-called holy grail of good matchmaking... except the threshold for getting INTO Elite Smash gets pulled further and further away the more players show up and the more characters release; an arbitrary carrot on a stick to endlessly chase. Hell, you could get into Elite Smash, go to bed, and then wake up to find that you've been kicked out! What kind of reward is it if you can just lose it overnight??

Either cap Elite Smash's entry barrier and stop moving it, or make it so once you're in with a certain character you can't be kicked back out. THAT feels like a milestone! Being kicked out just for not maintaining your point count isn't a reward, it's a temporary privilege... **** THAT! After all that hard work it took to even get into Elite Smash you're just going to rip it away from me? **** THAT AND **** WHOEVER THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD SYSTEM

This is why I only ever do arenas anymore, I'm way more relaxed without the GSP score hanging over my head, and I recommend you do the same

TL;DR, I want to slap whoever came up with GSP

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Pretty much all my dislikes have to do with online, but they're not to do with lag, which is very tolerable for me 90% of the time.
  • Because the matchmaking prioritizes player proximity and I live in a pretty remote region, getting to matches can take a long time. Sometimes so long I get bored of waiting and just play cpu matches or change the game. In Smash 4 I found a match in under a minute most of the time, often instantly.
  • Vast majority of the players I come across play as characters I don't enjoy fighting against at all, something of a feat since in this 80 character roster there are under 20 of those. In Smash 4 I came across a much wider variety of characters.
  • Vast majority of the players I come across play only on Battlefield, which is among my most hated stages. The layout encourages platform camping, lame ladder combos and very passive playstyles.
  • You can't change your character between matches against the same player. I play over 20 characters pretty regularly. Part of the fun of Smash for me has always been facing the same opponent with many different characters, seeing how I do with each one. This was very easy with Smash 4, since you could change your character between every match. In Ultimate you can only do this in arenas online, and even then it's a tedious process that can cost you your place in the queue, so I usually settle for playing random.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Global Smash Power... BOY that's a rant that's been stewing in me for an entire year
I am not bothered as much as you are, but I feel the pain.
I couldn't care less about my actual points, I just want to have a nice, fair, balanced match. Lately, I get opponents with 1M points more or less than me. Of course, those with higher points absolutely destroy me, while those that are 1M below me don't stand a chance. I thought this rank system exists to provide even matches. If not even that works, what's the point?

Top Bottom