• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that you like about being a robin main

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
Ive noticed that the "things that frustrate you about being a robin main" has been going on for quite some time, and although I have contributed towards the thread, I feel like we as robin mains need to balance out the frustation and remind ourselves why we main this dude or dudette.

My biggest love of robin are his fair and upair, they feel so satisfying to land, its probably the electric effect, but everything to the power of the moves, to the sound they make, to the visual affects makes me love the move. Especially when you land a check mate, so satisfying.

Oh, taking the first stock, then landing a low percent nos to heal yourself, thats definitely in the top 5

what about you guys?

Redja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Redja11
The fact I have to outwit an opponent, not brute strength, and having the ability to Spike with arecovery is nice. Not to mention FE Skill jokes are DOPE

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Why has this not been done til now? Lol.

Me? The fact that I am playing as a freaking wizard. 'Nuff said :4robinm:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Ditto to the two above. I make characters that make "A wizard/mage/sorcerer did it" an actual excuse.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Robin was my most wanted newcomer for Smash 4 (had been from the time I played the demo for Awakening), and I got invested in character speculation right as the Gematsu leak started hanging overhead. Just being able to play as Robin at all feels like a victory in and of itself.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
At some point I just played the character because I was a weeb that liked playing waifus.

Along the way, though, that changed, and I invested a lot into the character and have accomplished things that I am proud of even to this day. I have a lot to improve on, but simply playing the character just feels right at home for me, and that will never change.

...Thank you Robin for being there for me. And thank you for defining Smash 4 for me.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Zareidriel Zareidriel those bead sprites look cool. Do we contact you or do you have a site?
Well thank you~ 8) Actually we have a shop if you click on the thingy in my signature. Maybe I should put a CLICK HERE in there...

And if you want to make a custom order send me a message via here or via Etsy. :upsidedown:

telex

Corrin and Robin <3
NNID
tellex1
playing as the cutest character in the game is definitely a bonus :sheep:

but i mostly just find her kit so satisfying, no other character in the game can compare for me.

kiwirules99

Smash Rookie
Me? The fact that I am playing as a freaking wizard. 'Nuff said :4robinm:
This, as well as the fact that he uses tomes and multiple elements, not just one. Gameplay wise, I like how playing him is kinda like a chess match; you have to strategically choose your moments to attack and do so deliberately, as you slowly force your opponent into checkmate.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Setups.
SETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUP
I LOOOOOVE THE SETUPS
Weak BAir to DAir, tactical book drops to avoid combos or punish on hit, glide toss book to thoron, bronze sword FAir setups, nosferatu platform setups, regrab setups, arcfire setups, arcthunder setups, shield break setups, shield break punish setups...so many beautiful setups...where do I start?

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Setups.
SETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUPSETUP
I LOOOOOVE THE SETUPS
Weak BAir to DAir, tactical book drops to avoid combos or punish on hit, glide toss book to thoron, bronze sword FAir setups, nosferatu platform setups, regrab setups, arcfire setups, arcthunder setups, shield break setups, shield break punish setups...so many beautiful setups...where do I start?
Start with a setup.

Last edited:

Erucidator

Smash Rookie
I love using Robin's Uair and Fair; landing one feels like it's doing big damage. Now that I think about about it, all of his smashes have this effect on me outside of bronze sword.

I'm glad we've got Robin in this game.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
How about a quick shout out to how much kill power Robin has? You see all of these characters--several top and high tiers included--who have trouble finishing stocks because their kill options are either lacking or limited and predictable. But with Robin? It's not a matter of "When will I be able to get the kill?", it's "Which one of my plethora of kill options and setups will they not be ready for this time?"

Says a lot that we can confirm a kill off having Arcthunder be shielded...at 100% or lower, depending on the character in question.

Last edited:

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
arc fire/thunder -> RAR BAir at the ledge

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Simply for the fact that he is a wizard.

That and I enjoyed playing as him in Awakening.

Deadpool12

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2578-3767-4194
The fact that we are unicorns and no one knows what do on for glory because they never seen it coming :laugh:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Let me see.... Shooting lightning and fire every which way, wielding a powerful lightning sword, exploding faces with JABS (which may result in kills), Elwind spikes, tossing weapons around when they break, haphazardly letting go of said weapons that inadvertently mess with opponents....stuff like that.

And he was one of my favorite units in Awakening. Very versatile.

TTX | Midnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lordofgames7
I like Robin because of her (I use girl Robin) playstyle. I love her air attacks and neutral B. I like how she can be a very good defensive and a very good aggressive character.

Jakkun

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4413-4635
I like playing as jack of all trades characters, even if they are below average in certain areas, as long as they can perform them with style, I feel that it satisfies me. In RPGs, I love playing as Spellswords, or any physical character capable of using a variety of magic. Robin is pretty much this to me, and I love the little intricacies that is exclusive to him, like his Tome/Sword management, and the setups available off of broken ones (even though I'm still learning how to do this...)

Nevertheless, Robin has strong aerials, a complex yet interesting and truly rewarding & fun playstyle provided the player piloting him can pull it off efficiently, I just cant help but be magnetized to such an interesting concept. When Corrin was announced I was almost afraid he was going to usurp Robin as my main, but I made an adamant choice to sub Corrin instead because I feel Robin is just that important for me to learn.

I guess, "he feels right for me", would be the best saying.

Zai

Smash Rookie
I like playing as jack of all trades characters, even if they are below average in certain areas, as long as they can perform them with style, I feel that it satisfies me. In RPGs, I love playing as Spellswords, or any physical character capable of using a variety of magic. Robin is pretty much this to me, and I love the little intricacies that is exclusive to him, like his Tome/Sword management, and the setups available off of broken ones (even though I'm still learning how to do this...)

Nevertheless, Robin has strong aerials, a complex yet interesting and truly rewarding & fun playstyle provided the player piloting him can pull it off efficiently, I just cant help but be magnetized to such an interesting concept. When Corrin was announced I was almost afraid he was going to usurp Robin as my main, but I made an adamant choice to sub Corrin instead because I feel Robin is just that important for me to learn.

I guess, "he feels right for me", would be the best saying.
When you said that Robin just "Feels right" describes it perfectly for me. I've been playing Sheik in every smash game and she just felt so good in my hands: her combo game, setups, kill confirms, and everything just feet natural to me and I never thought I would find another character that did that for me. Until, i picked up Robin and i got that feeling all over again, it's like discovering another part of yourself that you never knew existed. And that's my favorite thing about Robin just playing the character and feeling so at home is the greatest.

Emmington

Smash Cadet
I like their trap and tech setups so much, and it's always great when you drop a tome or sword right on to the opponent.

Nyrélhos

Smash Rookie
Robin was my most wanted newcomer for Smash 4 (had been from the time I played the demo for Awakening), and I got invested in character speculation right as the Gematsu leak started hanging overhead. Just being able to play as Robin at all feels like a victory in and of itself.
This.

Also, mentally ruin the opponent with a Nosferatu is priceless.

HybridFlames

Smash Rookie
robin is one of my favorite characters of all time just knowing that this dude is in smash is like a dream i love how creative you can be with item play the various and situational lightnings robin has plus setting up for a combo or even making your opponent think twice before they engage you is always a good feeling to have and I can't describe the feeling the levin sword gives you when you go for a u-air or f-air is amazing.

SaikaGaleforce

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-3121-7264
i love her aerials, her aesthetic, her ****ing ridiculous damage, and the fact that her complicated mechanics work well towards the way i naturally overcomplicate things, also the fact that she is a dramatic mage with a sword

Last edited:
Top Bottom