• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

things that i dont understand why Diddy players don't use

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Hey, im a new and upcoming Diddy. Although im new with Diddy im not new to the game, and i consider myself pretty decent with Diddy. But there are moves that are usually not good with Diddy that i dont understand why. If anybody knows why, could you tell me? Or are these moves just underrated?

Nair
This is the main move im talking about, however i can kind of understand why, but either way i feel this could still be a little underrated.
Basically if you hit it you can follow up with almost anything usually. However its not safe on shield and its not SUPER likely you can hit it even if your opponent doesnt know how to shield. But you can still use it as a punish, lets say Mario just dash attacks while you are right above him, what do you do? Nair. Or at least imo thats what you should do, use it to punish grounded opponents below you.

Utilt
This move is very good for catching peoples landings, most Diddys use it for that, but this can be a combo move too, so why do Diddys not use it for that? I admit Diddy has much better combo tools, but i feel utilt can still be decent. Also i think utilt works well with perfect pivots. PP utilt covers a lot of distance and range, so why not use it?

Peanut popgun reverse cancel
This can be used to reverse your momentum instantly in the air, i don't understand why this isnt used more. With utilt and nair i can kind of understand, but not with this. B reversing was always useful in the air cause it reversed your momentum. Btw, for anybody who doesnt know, peanut popgun reverse cancel is when you hold special and shield at the same time in the air (it can be used on the ground too) and if you b reverse it, you instantly reverse your momentum in the other direction. Which can be used to evade an attack, mixup your attack, get right under platforms or stages, and simply turn around. (Similar use to DK's neutral b cancel. More popular in melee for extending his combos and letting him hit with bairs more or to turn around to dace the stage or the opponent whenever neccesary, i feel this tech could have a similar use to that.)

So yea, anybody know why this isnt used more? Or is this something we should go into labbing right away?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Nair:

Nair is a very good combo tool. However, it can be easily shield-grabbed and is rather unsafe because of how it is used. Still, Top Diddy mains are using Nair, though more like icing then the cake. It isn't an integral part of their gameplan, but it is a nice option they will use when possible. Basically, Rising and FF Fair are safer and faster.

Utilt:

PP Utilt is GDLK. Utilt has some small combo ability and stock caps. Another upside is that it's hitbox lasts for 6 frames. The main problem is again Shields. It isn't that safe on shields. Also, Diddy mains will use Utilt to hit opponents through platforms and as a anti-air.

MFK- B Reverse:

They did use it, but then counterplay was developed. They still use it, but not as much and more as a mix-up then a go-to.

I hope this helped!

Lazlo_Bananas

Smash Cadet
Surprised no mention that utilt will kill just about as early as usmash. The difference is you just can't jump cancel utilt. For the popgun cancel, sometimes it's mostly just the best Diddys you'd see using it. Probably because it's "too many" inputs for most players to do in a real match, so they settle for keeping out the popgun and using the peanut then follow up on the peanut hit. Nair is very situational though. You can fast fall one when your opponent is in the air and then maybe followup with an uair if you landed on a close enough platform, but more than likely there are better options for more damage at those points in time.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I tend to actually overuse Nair and U-tilt, and based on my results, I can tell why you don't see many Diddys use them. But I abuse the hell out of Pop-gun cancelling and agree that it goes WAY underused.

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Nair:

Nair is a very good combo tool. However, it can be easily shield-grabbed and is rather unsafe because of how it is used. Still, Top Diddy mains are using Nair, though more like icing then the cake. It isn't an integral part of their gameplan, but it is a nice option they will use when possible. Basically, Rising and FF Fair are safer and faster.

Utilt:

PP Utilt is GDLK. Utilt has some small combo ability and stock caps. Another upside is that it's hitbox lasts for 6 frames. The main problem is again Shields. It isn't that safe on shields. Also, Diddy mains will use Utilt to hit opponents through platforms and as a anti-air.

MFK- B Reverse:

They did use it, but then counterplay was developed. They still use it, but not as much and more as a mix-up then a go-to.

I hope this helped!
Ah, I see. Yea when I watch top level Diddy's I do see them use Nair sometimes as a punish move, it's probably a move you should only use when you know for sure you can get a hit off of it, as a punish move. Like if somebody uses a laggy move for some reason while you are above them.

With Utilts, I see now why it isn't used too much, but I do think it could potentially be combed into.

Also, how did they find counterplay to the B reverse trick? What is the counterplay?

Surprised no mention that utilt will kill just about as early as usmash. The difference is you just can't jump cancel utilt. For the popgun cancel, sometimes it's mostly just the best Diddys you'd see using it. Probably because it's "too many" inputs for most players to do in a real match, so they settle for keeping out the popgun and using the peanut then follow up on the peanut hit. Nair is very situational though. You can fast fall one when your opponent is in the air and then maybe followup with an uair if you landed on a close enough platform, but more than likely there are better options for more damage at those points in time.
Ah, makes sense. Although I think Usmash kills a good 10-20% before utilt though, might need to test it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Ah, I see. Yea when I watch top level Diddy's I do see them use Nair sometimes as a punish move, it's probably a move you should only use when you know for sure you can get a hit off of it, as a punish move. Like if somebody uses a laggy move for some reason while you are above them.

With Utilts, I see now why it isn't used too much, but I do think it could potentially be combed into.

Also, how did they find counterplay to the B reverse trick? What is the counterplay?

Ah, makes sense. Although I think Usmash kills a good 10-20% before utilt though, might need to test it...
The counterplay is that they labbed where Diddy is going to be. Basically, it will work once or twice, but then a competent opponent, (Top level or high) will catch on a hit you with a strong Uair before you can even b-reverse it. There are other options to, but they aren't as good.

Top Bottom