• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that frustrate you as a Robin player/main

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
F-Smash not be able to be angled (a la Mario’s F-Smash, which can be aimed up or down). Plus, the surprising amount of start-up lag the move has. You're likely to be better off using D-Smash instead.

Tilts being VERY short ranged, and not much use outside of a “get off me,” tool.

Up-Tilt’s hitboxes not matching its animation, looks like it should have some hitboxes around Robin’s thigh region.

ARCFIRE. I.e.:

· The angle the projectile moves causes it to miss most opponents if they’re close enough (or short enough).

· It’s easy for opponents to force themselves out of the multi-hitter. Additionally, Robin’s too slow to follow up, whether they escape or when/if the opponent gets knocked away by the end of the projectile.

· The jab variant tends to miss a lot, so you’d better pray that it connects if you’re trying to kill with it.

Standing grab range is horrid, the pummel is somehow even worse; you may be able to get in 2 taps at most once someone’s in the kill percentages.

The only useful throws are Back and Down throws; and Down begins to lose effectiveness towards 20%.

Robin yelling “ARCTHUNDER!” as I attempt to surprise someone with said projectile while I’m off-screen.

Thoron being surprising poor at finishing off someone.

Using Thoron while off-stage being absolutely suicidal.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Down begins to lose effectiveness towards 20%.
???
Dthrow-->Utilt works from 20-50 or so
Using Thoron while off-stage being absolutely suicidal.
You're not supposed to use it like that, though...
· The jab variant tends to miss a lot, so you’d better pray that it connects if you’re trying to kill with it.
Really? I haven't had this problem that often; it's more annoying at lower %s for me.
Up-Tilt’s hitboxes not matching its animation, looks like it should have some hitboxes around Robin’s thigh region.
Ehh, the sword trails are only at Robin's head...utilt's range is really annoying, though.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
???
Dthrow-->Utilt works from 20-50 or so
I've had opponents jump/fight out of the combo before/after Up-Tilt. Even if it connects, there isn't much you can follow-up with as they approach kill percentages.

You're not supposed to use it like that, though...
Mind you, I don't intentionally leap off-stage with a Thoron ready to go. It's more of a problem when I accidently charge up a Thoron while intending to charge up an Arcthunder.

Really? I haven't had this problem that often; it's more annoying at lower %s for me.
This is annoying for me because I try (emphasis on try) to preserve my Elwind(s) for recovery purposes.

Ehh, the sword trails are only at Robin's head...utilt's range is really annoying, though.
The sword trail is overhead, yes, but the swing starts from around their hip area. Robin's not the only person with hitboxes that don't match their animations, but this is one of the more annoying cases I can think of.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I once saw someone complaining about how boring this one set involving a Robin was to watch, and proceeded to bash the character, calling him/her 'cancerous' and remarked how Robin was one of the characters that made the game so 'slow.' This person said he was completely fine with the overabundance of high/top tiers as well, and renounced the lower tier characters. Such arrogance!

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
It's just so hard to punish movement with Robin. Great for creating walls and zoning with Levin sword, but punishes? Especially rolls: "Yes! He's going to roll away now so I can grab him!" ...Right? No, I'm too slow to chase the roll, so I'll uh, let him roll away I guess ;_; Nothing to do but charge thunder until they come back into sword range.
Also Robin's grab range. I've literally been touching my opponent after whiffing a grab. Please the magic he/she uses to grab should make the range bigger.

DeadLuckChris

Smash Cadet
His speed gets on my nerves, cant get to the target fast enough to actually follow up after arcfire or arcthunder, too much start up on f-smash and for thunder,his jab.people falling out of arcfire and arcthunder and switch from levin to bronze in air. I wish the bronze sword could have less knockback....

Tarastel

Claymore
NNID
Tarastel
Will main Robin regardless of who comes out.

However, the things that really get on my nerves are
-run speed(why does he have the slowest one?)
-jab lag(people who shield and roll around you can also hit you before your done with the second swing)
-grab range
-whiffed grab lag(he might as well have a claw shot)

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Is it just me, or are certain characters just plain impossible for Robin? Little Mac annoys me to no end. It feels like nobody should lose to that character, ever, but Robin seriously struggles against a competent Mac, especially punishing him. On FG especially.

Sk8r151

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfessorSanchez
Robin's run speed doesn't really bother me. What does though is how whatever hits your thunder (unless it's thoron) clanks. Its so annoying when trying to fight other zoners because my thunder tomes which is my main way of zoning will just clank.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Is it just me, or are certain characters just plain impossible for Robin? Little Mac annoys me to no end. It feels like nobody should lose to that character, ever, but Robin seriously struggles against a competent Mac, especially punishing him. On FG especially.
Against Mac, patience is key. Arcfire, I find, is not that useful against competent Macs, but your Thunder tomes are pretty potent. Arcthunder in particular can open up punish opportunities for you to grab and follow up as you see fit. Macs can make pretty devastating reads, so it is important to remain unpredictable, especially when the KO punch is involved. When I face Mac, I look to Checkmate them as soon as I can, and if that fails, seek out Thoron kills or Levin sword punishes. Nosferatu mixups are quite useful in this matchup, and offensive Elwind can work too (but use sparingly and with care). Part of your issue may be because it's For Glory, which, as we all know, is FD only, bar none our worst stage against Little Mac. In live tournament, ban FD immediately and play tactically. The matchup is 100% doable, it can just seem rough when going head to head, given Macs adeptness at applying shield pressure.

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
I once saw someone complaining about how boring this one set involving a Robin was to watch, and proceeded to bash the character, calling him/her 'cancerous' and remarked how Robin was one of the characters that made the game so 'slow.' This person said he was completely fine with the overabundance of high/top tiers as well, and renounced the lower tier characters. Such arrogance!
Last tourney I was at, I had like 3 guys just crying about robin behind me. That was fun. I want to start wearing headphones now, just to block peoples bull****.

On a side note, I also had some random guy I had NEVER met before just come up to me and start talking about how much he hated captain falcon, he wasnt in my pools, nobody was playing a match, he just saw me and was like "this person must know my falcon problem" and started talking at me. Good times.

zaffrett

Smash Rookie
NNID
zaffrett
3DS FC
0104-0099-1835
Wait, bashing Robin players for choosing male Robin is actually a thing? Wow that's sad... Guess I'll get hate too when I'll play male Corrin in the future :|
haha yep that's a thing I get so much hate just because i play as male robin even tho he's the same person as fem robin

zaffrett

Smash Rookie
NNID
zaffrett
3DS FC
0104-0099-1835
This so much. I have legitimately had people act rudely towards me just because I play male Robin. And since none of the top Robin players use male Robin, it justifies them to keep doing it. It pisses me off.
oh my gosh i thought i was the only one who felt this way. thank you ;_;

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
haha yep that's a thing I get so much hate just because i play as male robin even tho he's the same person as fem robin
Damn, it is? Blue, male Robin is my character of choice :O

Also, Robin on FG is much tougher than most think. The input lag really doesn't help such a precision-based character.

zaffrett

Smash Rookie
NNID
zaffrett
3DS FC
0104-0099-1835
Damn, it is? Blue, male Robin is my character of choice :O

Also, Robin on FG is much tougher than most think. The input lag really doesn't help such a precision-based character.
Yea!! It's true if you play as male robin ur like dead to everyone -.- and I'm here like but both genders are the same thing?? oh well.

holymario

Smash Apprentice
The only ones hating people for taking male robins are probably just idiots who take Female characters in every game becaue their female ._. Have you ever asked them why you as a person should use fem robin?

Notoriginalname

Smash Rookie
What really bothers me about Robin is that he has one of the worst movement speed in the game, along with his terrible grab. Anything that would help him against rushdown characters would be great.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Just wanted to say that I REALLY hope they work on Robin's overall speed in that last few patches.

After Bayonetta and Corrin are released, I fancy they'll make a few more balancing patches before the team officially disbands.

If nothing else, I just want Robin's:

1). Ground smash attacks faster than they currently are; as they are now, landing them requires very good reads. Since Robin is a long-ranged, trap-based magick user, in mine opinion the purpose of Robin's smash attacks should be getting the opponent away from you when they're too close for comfort--and making them all slow like that just kills that purpose. If Robin's smash attacks were insanely powerful like Koopa's or Ganondorf's, then I could understand their sluggishness.

2). Arcfire and Arcthunder to have less ending lag; it would make follow-ups so much easier.

3). Fire Jab to be a true combo. As it is now, it is not 100% reliable. Skilled opponents can either shield or air-dodge right before the blast connects, then punish you.

4). Grab to be faster. It's supreme sluggishness makes Robin's grab game very risky. Either speed up his grab to reduce that risk, or make his up and back throws kill moves to reward that risk.

That all said, however, Robin will always be mine main, even if he's mid or low tier. He just feels natural to me--much more so than any of mine secondaries. I've been using Robin since the game came out, so I pretty much know him like the back of mine hand.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
1). Ground smash attacks faster than they currently are; as they are now, landing them requires very good reads. Since Robin is a long-ranged, trap-based magick user, in mine opinion the purpose of Robin's smash attacks should be getting the opponent away from you when they're too close for comfort--and making them all slow like that just kills that purpose. If Robin's smash attacks were insanely powerful like Koopa's or Ganondorf's, then I could understand their sluggishness.
Umm...our tilts/jab are our "get off me" moves, not our smash attacks...those are punishers. They're not that slow either, at F12 (Usmash) and F16 (F/Dsmash).
4). Grab to be faster. It's supreme sluggishness makes Robin's grab game very risky. Either speed up his grab to reduce that risk, or make his up and back throws kill moves to reward that risk.
You mean the endlag? Because it comes out on F7...I always figured it was more the range that's bad.

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
If Robin's smash attacks were insanely powerful like Koopa's or Ganondorf's, then I could understand their sluggishness.
It would be completely ludicrous if Robin had ganon style smashes lol, like thats Ganons character, slow but powerfull, robin is slow but zoney. The reason his "get off me" moves are not so strong is just how the balance of the game works, hes excellent at zoning, but the other player is rewarded once they get past that.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Now that I have had good 1v1s and improved with Robin, I have been able to see the "balance" factor for him/her. But I personally think that as a fighter whose kit relies on limited projectiles, I feel like they could use more "oomph" due to the fact that reflects counter us hard - I'm kidding, that's what the Levin Sword and reading is for.

You don't think it's a fantasy to ask for a Thoron that pierces reflects...do you?

Last edited:

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
It's just my opinion, but I think Robin is mostly very good as they are right now. Among some of the last couple of buffs, we've gotten an amazing dthrow, levin sword size increase, and faster landing after aerials. And we've got some definite kill power behind our combos and aerials too.

However, there's one thing that bothers me the most: endlag.

Did you miss a grab? Your enemy gets a free smash or grab of their own. Did you just try to grab that pikachu flying past your head? HAHA your grab has no range!

Are you using arcfire against someone fast? They'll roll around it and poke you while you're still in the animation, or they'll jump over it and hit you. Heck, they'll even dash attack you before you can complete it.

Even thoron and the thunder variants. They're not a very good get-off-me move either because sometimes they will whiff if a small/thin character is too close to you (Robin's hand goes past them). Or if they're too close, they can spot dodge and hit you before you're done. And what's so bad about using thoron offstage without gimping yourself too? Other characters have more powerful moves that come out faster, so why pick on Robin to lag? Ugh. I feel the same way with Ike's smashes. They're so slow and not actually extremely powerful when you land them. Damn it, Cloud and his 3-hit uncharged op smashes that kill at 40%.

Apparently, the original 1.0.0 version of the game allowed Robin another jump if they charged thoron in the air. I don't actually remember that, and it was patched out. That would have been pretty cool though.

Also, who feels that Corrin could prove to be a difficult match up for us? They look like they have amazing zoning for midrange... Their forward smash seems to have enough range to get us in the middle of arcfire. ;-; All of use here are probably going to take up Corrin to some degree though, so we'll know the match up.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Also, who feels that Corrin could prove to be a difficult match up for us? They look like they have amazing zoning for midrange... Their forward smash seems to have enough range to get us in the middle of arcfire. ;-; All of use here are probably going to take up Corrin to some degree though, so we'll know the match up.
You can't really tell how an MU's gonna go just based off of one trailer though. Especially when things could be changed about Corrin that'll give us something a little different upon release.

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
You can't really tell how an MU's gonna go just based off of one trailer though. Especially when things could be changed about Corrin that'll give us something a little different upon release.
True, of course. But examining the nature of their tilts and smashes from the long instruction trailer gives you a good idea of how they could be played.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Not really on-topic but since I dislike Corrin's character so much, I'm going to have fun destroying them. I remember stating how Cloud isn't too much of a threat to us shortly after he released - boy was I wrong, good Clouds are scary BECAUSE of their speed and range and effectively using them.

I don't want to make the same mistake and underestimate Corrin. The fact that h/she has a ZSS projectile and apparently the longest attack range is scary enough, but as you guys pointed out, not enough info(although Sakurai did a good job explaining the moveset).

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
Not really on-topic but since I dislike Corrin's character so much, I'm going to have fun destroying them. I remember stating how Cloud isn't too much of a threat to us shortly after he released - boy was I wrong, good Clouds are scary BECAUSE of their speed and range and effectively using them.

I don't want to make the same mistake and underestimate Corrin. The fact that h/she has a ZSS projectile and apparently the longest attack range is scary enough, but as you guys pointed out, not enough info(although Sakurai did a good job explaining the moveset).
Haha! Despite my hype for Corrin, I'm Team Robin all the way. Magic is so much better! xD Plus... we're already got dragon powers covered too!

Yeah... the Cloud match up turned out to be more than a little annoying for us. You mess up and he kills you at 50%! Especially since he's so much faster than Robin, it can be difficult.

I remember this guy I met online who solidified that opinion. He was a very good player, definitely tourney level. He kept employing some creative mix ups to an extent that I felt he wasn't taking me seriously. I was constantly on guard for feints, but those were some very fun battles. At one point, I charged thunder nonchalantly while he started dashdancing in front me (and I expected him to cancel it and go for a grab to surprise me at some point) BECAUSE APPARENTLY, CLOUD'S TRACTION IS GOOD ENOUGH TO ALLOW HIM THE CLOSEST THING SMASH4 HAS TO DASH DANCING.

Last edited:

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
A thing that bothers me as a Robin main is that people say he sucks just because he has the slowest running speed in the game.

STO

Smash Rookie
NNID
MagikSimon
In terms of Matchups, Luigi, Toon Link and Sheik.
Technically speaking, Nosferatu's helpless state, Arcfire's endlag and her 7 frame jump squat.

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
Technically speaking, Nosferatu's helpless state, Arcfire's endlag and her 7 frame jump squat.
Archfire is really only useful up close,as from long range its easy to shield. Close up you can can follow with a fsmash to do good damage

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
I personally find the ending lag on a few of his moves to be extremely annoying. Specifically arcfire; it seems like everytime I land it incorrectly, my opponent gets a free hit. Other ending lags I have a hard time with are grab, Nosferatu, and wind jab.
Another thing that frustrates me a bit is his run speed and jumpsquat. I feel like I can predict when my opponent is going to attack and run/jump accordingly, but they end up catching me anyway. That may just be me having to get used to the slower speed, though.
Also, if opponents wouldn't fall out of the jabs before the fire jab/wind jab comes out, that'd be great.
Other than that, I feel like Robin is a fairly solid character who's enjoyable to play as.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Archfire is really only useful up close,as from long range its easy to shield. Close up you can can follow with a fsmash to do good damage
InfiniteThoronz InfiniteThoronz What you said has basically nothing to do with what STO said...he's just saying he hates Arcfire's endlag, which we all do. It has an FAF of 64, higher than Le Fsmash or even Thoron. Also Arcfire isn't that useful from up close either, if they're too close it'll go over most character's heads; Arcfire is best at "medium range" whether they shield it or not. Also..."ARCH" fire? :chuckle: It's not like "Archmage" it's more like "L'Arc-en-Ciel". Sorry buddy not trying to rag on you, just when I see so many things I disagree with in a row I get an irresistible urge to comment on it...

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
InfiniteThoronz InfiniteThoronz What you said has basically nothing to do with what STO said...he's just saying he hates Arcfire's endlag, which we all do. It has an FAF of 64, higher than Le Fsmash or even Thoron. Also Arcfire isn't that useful from up close either, if they're too close it'll go over most character's heads; Arcfire is best at "medium range" whether they shield it or not. Also..."ARCH" fire? :chuckle: It's not like "Archmage" it's more like "L'Arc-en-Ciel". Sorry buddy not trying to rag on you, just when I see so many things I disagree with in a row I get an irresistible urge to comment on it...
Whoops, apologies.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I just want to say that I lost a lot of respect for Raziek after he started hating on male Robin in Twitch chat. I don't know about Dath, but both Raziek and Nairo hate on male Robin, and if two of the top three Robin mains hate on male Robin, it gives people justification to keep doing it.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I don't condone bashing people so I won't comment on that, but I would like to comment that I've been hearing about this phenomenon of male-Robin-hating more and more lately. I am a zealously loyal pink female Robin player but I have equal respect for all Robin players regardless of which gender they choose to play. I don't think that the male should be given special treatment just because he's "default", since they're completely interchangeable in the source game, but neither do I think the female should be given special treatment because she's pretty/waifu/whatever. And frankly when female Robin players bash on male Robin players it makes nice equal-rights Female Robin players like myself look bad.

And that's the thing that's been frustrating me as a Robin main lately.

zaffrett

Smash Rookie
NNID
zaffrett
3DS FC
0104-0099-1835
I don't condone bashing people so I won't comment on that, but I would like to comment that I've been hearing about this phenomenon of male-Robin-hating more and more lately. I am a zealously loyal pink female Robin player but I have equal respect for all Robin players regardless of which gender they choose to play. I don't think that the male should be given special treatment just because he's "default", since they're completely interchangeable in the source game, but neither do I think the female should be given special treatment because she's pretty/waifu/whatever. And frankly when female Robin players bash on male Robin players it makes nice equal-rights Female Robin players like myself look bad.

I agree I'm a m!robin player that thinks both genders are cool but when people bash on me it's just unnecessary and rude

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet

Tbh I don't care what Robin you play as. If you don't bash my pink female Robin I won't bash yours, simple as that.
Actually, people shouldn't bash any Robins, period.

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
It's really irritating to me. This shouldn't be so controversial when common sense dictates it should be up to preference! Don't stomp on people for it!

All four of us active Robin mains in my city typically use male Robin, but when one of us goes on stream or people are watching our battles.. our Robins are always "she." It's clearly a guy! Now you can refer to Robin any way you want to, but there's always that one guy talking about how female Robin is so much better. I'm definitely starting to see the same thing with Corrin. People start dissing the male and proclaim their "barefoot waifu" superiority. There's always salt about the male amiibos too.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Damn those foot fetishists! But seriously, despite nothing wrong with the player rolling the opposite gender in MMORPGs to just simply males playing female characters anywhere in preference, you will get bias and they will treat that bias is the norm. Unsatisfied or even lonely people tend to mask that.

Before I go on another rant, I want to say that if you don't practice against Olimar - you're going to have a bad time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom