• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things i need to know to get better with Pit/Dark Pit

Lightswo2

Smash Rookie
I was playing a couple of games with Pit against my friends yesterday, and was really enjoying playing him.

So what I was wondering what i should practice to help my Pit get better?

I know he has a lot of combos and his offstage game is amazing.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
Around 60% Pit's throws won't combo as well, from here if you get a grab go for up/ forward throw and use arrows to attack certain di/recovery routes and force them to exhaust their options or make them go where you want.

Example: I throw fox offstage with forward throw and shoot and arrow straight then curve it down then up. The curve down scares him into not firefoxing low, the curve back up hits him before he can start illusion to ledge if he chooses that option. If he goes high I can punish his landing with dash attack or get another grab and reset the situation. I hope I could be of help to you and I hope you have fun with pit.

Reverbo

Smash Rookie
Do you have any videos of you playing Pit? That would be the easiest way to help you out.

Anyways, Pit wants to get grabs. find ways to condition your opponent to get grabbed, such as using his amazing dash attack (fast, disjointed and does 11%), jabbing their shield (stick with the 3 hit jab opposed to the rapid jab, they can fall out of rapid and the 3 hit is really good ) and baiting with short hops and movement.
Your up smash is great at covering opponents landings, so try reading where they are going to land and let the up smash rip.
As Scruffy said, d throw followups will stop working as well around 70ish% (60 on floaties and 80 on fastfallers) so just throw them towards the ledge for stage control when d throw stops working.
Forward throw is a pretty reliable way to get kills at the ledge around 110% and so on, especially if you're playing d pit and they're fearing your side b. Up smash is a reliable kill option to cover landings. D-smash can also be a good way to kill at high percents, due to it being very safe on shield, relatively safe otherwise, and covering both sides.
as far as edge guarding goes, it's generally better to just wait at the ledge and harrass them with arrows and cover their get up option rather than chasing them off stage hastily. There will be situations it is better to do that, but have stage control in mind more often than not.
Nair is good out of shield option because of it's startup and multi-hit.
And that is a good way to look at Pit's "objectives" during the match. Sure he has some more tools, but those tools above will definitely help you get your foot in the door for this character. Pit is more about punishing your opponent for making mistakes and keep good stage control than getting huge combos, so play with that in mind. He's the "fundamental" character.

Last edited:

Lightswo2

Smash Rookie
I see.
Sadly i don't have any vids yet and i don't have a capture card.
At the very least i don't have to stress myself on combos and just worry about fundamentals.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Honestly you can clean up most of for glory with pit simply with dash attack and downthrow. Pits dash attack is amazing and he gets lots of down throw combos such as dthrow > sour spot Dair X2 > Nair/up air. Honestly a lot of people straight up can't deal with arrows. Predict their short hops with wavy arrows and then follow up with a dash attack. the most unique thing about pit is his arrows, learn to master them and you can get a lot of free damage and you can even do things like stuff their jumps or attacks and get free gimps and extended strings that shouldn't work.

Top Bottom